PDA

View Full Version : Last stretch of Long Trail reopens in wake of Irene

NorthCountryWoods
10-13-2011, 14:36
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20111013/NEWS02/111013018/Last-stretch-Long-Trail-reopens-wake-Irene?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Feral Nature
10-13-2011, 14:43
I fell dumb as a post. I read and reread that article because I thought Sargent Brook and Gould Brook were people. Didn't understand how they could wash out or even what that meant. Ok, I figured it out and now I know that they are creeks. We have "creeks", not "brooks" where I live. duh

Feral Nature
10-13-2011, 14:44
I can't spell either, fell = feel.

stranger
10-13-2011, 19:50
I fell dumb as a post. I read and reread that article because I thought Sargent Brook and Gould Brook were people. Didn't understand how they could wash out or even what that meant. Ok, I figured it out and now I know that they are creeks. We have "creeks", not "brooks" where I live. duh

What about 'kill'...or 'watercourse' ??? Some of the more interesting ones I've heard.

NorthCountryWoods
10-14-2011, 13:38

We have a few creeks here too....no rhyme or reason to the terminology difference between "creek", "brook" and "river". Some are big, some are small, some are only seasonal. The Otter creek is a pretty good sized flow and there are several "rivers" that are little more than a trickle.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Driver8
10-15-2011, 23:15
In Virginia they have runs - Bull Run being only the most famous of many.