PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Tonce
02-27-2005, 13:10
I am not able to start my thru hike till the third week of may like the 15th

Should I go NOBO
Should I go SOBO
Should I start up north a little bit then flip back down to springer ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Freighttrain
02-27-2005, 13:16
:-? ya could hike a few days near Damascus Va...hit Traildaze then Hike North from there, it will start ya somewhere in the pack. flippn back to go sobo after Big K...

or
:clap SOBO:clap the End of MAY is a nice option...

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 13:17
How about coming to Damascus for Trail Days (May 12-15), head north from here then flip back and head south. That's what I'd do.

Lion King
02-27-2005, 14:00
Like Wolf said is a pretty good plan or you can start on Springer that date.

Your days off will have to be less, your miles at some point will have to be bigger, but you can still make it. The thing is, if you start on SPringer at that date, it will be easeir to not take so much time off, because there will be less hikers to influence you to have one more beer, to stay in town one more day...etc...

You will have WAY WAY more alone time, which its a great part of it sometimes, and by the time you are going completely crazy from being alone, you will start meeting the laid back Northbounders who are trailing the pack, or pass them.

It will be a ton hotter, it will be buggier, and you will hear...'Boy, you started a little late didnt you? Do you think you will make it?" Way more then you want, but it is up to you.

I personally wouldnt finish anywhere else but Maine in fall, but that is a personal preference.

I love the leaves, the cool days. the blue skies (Although late Sept/Early Oct are rainy as hell sometimes), the solitude and beauty of the Maine woods, the freshness of Maine in Late September and early October is amazing.

Depending on what you want to accomplish and how you want to do it, it is truly up to you.

Good luck, and I will see you at Trail Days if you start from there.

hikerjohnd
02-27-2005, 14:03
How about coming to Damascus for Trail Days (May 12-15), head north from here then flip back and head south. That's what I'd do.
My profs are making this my new plan. I'm actually starting April 15, but have arranged my route to put me in Damascus for Trail Days.

Jack Tarlin
02-27-2005, 16:29
I think Lone Wolf has a great idea; you'd be able to leave Damascus in May wuth great company, and will continue to have great company all the way til Maine. Then, when you fill in the remaining miles, you'll have the company of the Southbounders as well, all the way to Georgia.

Alternative idea: Hike North from Damascus in May, but when you get to Katahdin, instead of hiking South from Damascus to Georgia, go to Springer instead and hike North to Damascus. Two advantages: You'll have a much better time in the Smokies as you won't be going thru in late November or December, and secondly, you'll be a lot closer to home (Ohio) when you finish up. It all depends on how much company you want, and whether it's important to you that you "finish" at Springer.

Another alternative: Wait a few weeks longer til June and do a traditional Southbound hike from Maine.

Whatever you decide, it's all good.

A-Train
02-27-2005, 18:47
May 15th is not too late to leave from Springer. That gives you 150 days to get to Katahdin before it "closes". With a little bit of motivation and self control you shouldn't have any problems. Worse comes to worse you can skip ahead to hike Katahdin and hike back south to whereever you left off.

This is what I would do anyway. You'll have nice long days at the start and warm weather so you can carry very little warm gear. I have to respectfully disagree with Wolfs Trail Days idea. Unless you're really into a party I think that would be a pretty intimidating way for someone to start the trail and get immersed into trail culture. Afterall, the majority of the AT is NOT like traildays. I'd make your friends in the woods, personally.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 19:29
I gots to disagree with A-Train. Sure there's some hardcore partying going on at T-Days but it's MUCH more than that. Seek and you shall find. I will point you in the right direction Tonce. Find me.

Tonce
03-08-2005, 13:54
I am pretty sure I am starting in damascus on the 15th of may for trail days

But I was planning on a section hike from Dickey's gap to Damascus from the 12th to the 18th of march (This Weekend). I dont really wanna be walking through 3 foot snow drifts for hours though. Anyone think some of the snow will melt by monday or should I pick a new place to go? I have all the maps so I could pretty much go anywhere, just kinda picked damascus so I could get the layout of the city for when I go down there in may.

Thanks

Todd

Nean
03-08-2005, 17:39
Met 2 seperate hikers last year who did the damascus flip- they loved it. To me end to end is more of an ego thing than a hiking thing. You have options, follow your heart. As for the snow you may not have an option but I doubt you will have 3 feet to deal with. The temp. and wind may be your biggest concern. As long as you are well prepared you might just enjoy a taste of winter hiking!

ARambler
03-08-2005, 18:09
If you wanted to maximize the good weather for a May 15 start, you could do what Ghost did last year. He did an all SOBO flip flop, starting in Dalton, MA flipping to Katahdin at one of the I-81 crossings in VA, and finishing SOBO. He picked Dalton and I-81 for the public transportation. He saw most of the NOBOs twice. Turned out that he was a strong enough hiker to have either gone SOBO or NOBO, albeit with worse weather.

I like the Damascus idea.