PDA

View Full Version : newbie question - do i really need 2 bags?

swimmer313
10-13-2011, 23:57
I've heard from several sources that it's a good idea to have two sleeping bags - one for the colder weather in the beginning, and another for the warmer summer weather. in the interest of saving money, can i make it with just one? i'm not opposed to spending money on a good down bag to stay warm in the colder weather, but in the summer, i can just sleep on top of the bag if it gets too warm, right?

given this strategy, what temperature rating should i go for? i was thinking a 20 degree bag. perhaps with a silk liner.

any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

leaftye
10-14-2011, 00:46
You can use just one. Using two bags only helps you save weight and bulk. Personally, I wouldn't use any liner. That's just a nuisance and I'd probably throw it in the fire before the end of the first week, if not the first night. As far as weight, I'd spend a little extra to get a lightweight sleeping bag (or quilt) that can handle the colder weather. A puffy jacket can help, but I don't feel they add much warmth, and surely nowhere near as much warmth as it would if its weight was instead converted into extra down in the sleeping bag. As the weather warms, you can wear less clothing to bed, use the sleeping bag like a quilt with varying coverage, and then sleep on it....although I don't think I could sleep on it since being completely uncovered with unhindered drafts would drive me crazy.

Maddog
10-14-2011, 01:37
You can use just one. Using two bags only helps you save weight and bulk. Personally, I wouldn't use any liner. That's just a nuisance and I'd probably throw it in the fire before the end of the first week, if not the first night. As far as weight, I'd spend a little extra to get a lightweight sleeping bag (or quilt) that can handle the colder weather. A puffy jacket can help, but I don't feel they add much warmth, and surely nowhere near as much warmth as it would if its weight was instead converted into extra down in the sleeping bag. As the weather warms, you can wear less clothing to bed, use the sleeping bag like a quilt with varying coverage, and then sleep on it....although I don't think I could sleep on it since being completely uncovered with unhindered drafts would drive me crazy.+1 I only used one bag, WM Versalite, and varied the coverage. :)

jesse
10-14-2011, 03:36
Do a Winter shakedown, and see if you can stay warm. This is really a question only you can answer.

Spokes
10-14-2011, 07:30
I just as well could have carried my 15 degree bag the entire way but man it was nice to swap out a 40 degree bag and save some weight during the summer.

You choose.

bigcranky
10-14-2011, 08:39
I just as well could have carried my 15 degree bag the entire way but man it was nice to swap out a 40 degree bag and save some weight during the summer.

This is exactly right.

One other thing to consider is your start date -- it's a LOT easier to hike with one bag if you start in mid-April than if you start Feb 1. By mid-April you can use a 30-F bag the whole way. If you start Feb 1, you'll really want a 0-F bag, and you sure don't want to use that in July...

Trailbender
10-14-2011, 12:18
I carried a 0 the whole way, switched it out for a survival blanket, experimenting, picked up a 15 degree in Rangely. I carry a 0 year round when I hike, and I can sleep comfortably in it in 50 or so, but not to 0, I do sleep cold though. I personally would never carry anything more than a 15.

Odd Man Out
10-14-2011, 12:39
It seems to me that it also makes a difference which winter/three season bag you get. If you have a 5 lb expedition bag for winter, the advantage of swapping out for summer is huge. But if you invest in a high quality 20 deg down bag that weighs 2 lbs or less, the benefits of buying a second bag are much less. My plan was the same as yours. I would rather invest in one really good, multipurpose bag than getting two cheap bags (or two expensive bags). The bag I am looking at is the WM Sycamore which is semi-rectangular with a full zipper so it can be opened up like a quilt for use in warm weather. I am also considering a 20 quilt, which does much the same but weighs less. Some don't like liners, but others do - matter of personal preference. The amount of extra warmth is debatable, but it certainly doesn't hurt when it gets really cold. It certainly helsp to keep keep the bag clean, and might be nice to keep you off the pad when using the bag like a quilt.

Buffalo Skipper
10-17-2011, 10:19

You choose.

I could not have put this better.

I use Top Quilts instead of sleeping bags in my hammock, but the argument is pretty much the same, as I have 15° winter and 35° summer quilts. But having 2 bags will allow you to lighten things up in the summer. But if you can only start with one, then yes, get a good winter bag and then upgrade to second summer bag later. A winter bag can be vented to work in the summer. A summer bag, may not keep you warm during the winter. Of course, you could always add layer of clothing. In the end, though, this would add more weight than a the difference in weight between the winter and summer bags.

Good luck.