PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a pack

Jcm
10-14-2011, 07:21
I am doing a thru hike 2012 I need a pack for the whole trip that is lite weight and well hold my stuff like tent sleeping bag what do u all recommend thanks for the help

Hooch
10-14-2011, 08:09
There are lots of lightweight packs out on the market, but bear in mind that a lightweight pack is intended to carry lightweight loads. If you get a lightweight pack and fill it up with a heavy load, you're going to be very, very uncomfortable. What is your base weight, pack excluded?

Menace
10-14-2011, 08:29
Check out the GoLite Pinnacle. I've been hiking with it for 2 seasons now. Lightweight (<2#), holds a ton of gear, stable, nice features, affordable. Hawk the sales.

bigcranky
10-14-2011, 08:36
You are 4.5 hours from Damascus, VA, where you'll find Mt Rogers Outfitters. They have a great selection of long distance hiking gear, including packs, and can help you choose wisely.

While you're there, you can hike in the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area for an overnight.

hikerboy57
10-14-2011, 08:54
before you go buy a pack, you're going to have to figure out what you need to carry. as you're new to WB, on the left side of the homepage you'll find a list of articles that can give you a better idea of what size you'll need to carry your gear in.how much you carry will help determine the type of pack that'll work best for you.

Jcm
10-14-2011, 09:04
Thank you for all the help

Abner
10-14-2011, 09:56
Here is a link to an article about a fellow who runs an outfitting store Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap, at about thirty miles from the beginning of the AT at Springer Mountain. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/newreply.php?p=1208709&noquote=1 I would suggest starting here. This article suggests some general answers to your question. After you have read the article go online and look at the pack offerings at Mountain Crossings. Winton Porter who runs Mountain Crossings, just like the Mt. Roger's outfitters suggested in this thread, specializes in outfitting long distance hikers. This article might get you thinking like a long distance hiker, about packs and weights of clothing, shelter, and sleep systems, which is one way to get started.

The trick is there is a real difference between outfitting for long distance hiking and say weekend hiking. The problem with places like REI or other all around outdoor stores, EMS for example...the problem starting in such a place is there is no clearcut difference made in these huge stores between the needs of car campers (!) recreational weekend hikers, and the specific needs of long distance hikers. Actually the whole subject of outfitting for four months of long distance hiking is a little counter intuitive at first: you might think a long distance hiker would the strongest built pack in the store, with the greatest ammount of storage space, 'cause you are going the longest distance right? ...oops this is not right, it's counter logic...long distance logic...you actually need the lightest pack that can carry the lightest gear that will keep you warm, dry, protected from the elements, is comfortable on your body, and will carry enough food to get you to the next food resupply. That's it, nothing more. Long distance logic may seem illogical at first...but places like Mountain Crossings help steer long distance hikers toward gear suited for their purposes. Think light, enjoy the learning curve, don't fall for buying the kitchen sink, and yes Mt. Rogers Outfitters can help you if you run over there and ask them what is their most popular pack for thru-hiking. Chances are you will have seen it on the Mountain Crossings website. Then you ask yourself why? And you figure out because it is lightweight, figure out how many cubic inches of space it provides, see if it has some sort of suspension to take some of the load off your shoulders (that is if you are consistently carrying over say 18 to twenty pounds to twenty five pounds. If your outfit is below eighteen pounds fully loaded you could even go with a lighter, and less popular pack that is frameless. Most of all, best wishes, have fun.

One last suggestion. IF you are a complete newbie, Get out on the trail in a traditional pack. It will teach you alot, and you will want to shave pounds. Start with say a 4.5 pounds up to six pounds traditional backpack that some kind soul can loan you. Put in a traditional tent (five pounds), traditional sleeping pad, traditional 20f sleeping bag, changes of clothes, rain parka, water, all the gear you would take right now, with the knowlege you have. Make a list with all your items on it, and weigh each item. Carry that pack around with the equivalent of 2lbs food per day (which represents the food you will be carrying, just say 10 lobs of food, which represents four to five trail days worth). Now go out and hike seven or eight miles per day in mountainous terrain if possible. If you can spend a night or two out there do it. Come back and you will have many more questions than you do now, and the beginning of some answers, and you'll see why there is so much fuss about shedding pounds in back packing! Basically you do this shakedown over and over again with lighter and lighter components; this is how you arrive at your kit that suits you and your hiking needs and style. Hope this is helpful.

skybrew
10-14-2011, 12:38
Good advice from Abner. I used an Osprey Atmos 65 large pack (3#13oz) and it met my needs. Enough room for me to carry all that I needed and then some. The hip belt has a beefy plastic snap buckle with 'pull-belts' on both sides so you can easily cinch it up. I liked the clean exterior and the roomy top section/cover for daily or need-to-reach-quickly items. Generally well-made but the mesh pockets on the hip belt wore a bit too quickly (but not a big deal). I used an Osprey 3L water reservoir that fit nicely in its purpose-built sleeve against the back of the pack. Adjustable straps allow the pack to be extended upwards as needed. I give it 5 stars and heartily recommend it. I'm 5'10" and ~170# and the pack was about 42-44# with 4 days of food, early spring gear, and 3L of water. YMMV. Check out other Osprey packs per your needs.

skybrew
10-14-2011, 12:39
BTW, I'm not a minimalist but I did weigh all of my gear to see where i could lighten the load. I carried a Big Agnes air mattress that was a 22oz luxury (I'm eyeing up the NeoAir as a replacement) but a good night's sleep is critical for me. I also carry a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. HTH.

lush242000
10-14-2011, 12:49
I use a REI Flash 65. 3lbs 2oz. It will hold more than you ever would need and not break at the bank either.

SmokeEater
10-14-2011, 17:32
ULA Circuit. Great pack plenty of room.

Gunslinger
10-14-2011, 17:55
I agree with smokeeater. ULA Circuit.

leaftye
10-14-2011, 18:14
First you need to know how big your stuff is. It'd be pointless to buy an ultralight pack if you can't fit your gear into it.

Next, you need to know how heavy your gear is so you can decide on how much pack frame support you need.

SmokeEater
10-14-2011, 18:43
What is weight.Food,water and gear?

Papa D
10-14-2011, 18:51
Big Cranky is right about Mt. Rogers Outfitters - my favorite 3 season pack right now is the Osprey Atmos series - 50 liters should be fine for a nice light (but not necessarily ultra-light / big sacrifices) thru hike:

www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series