PDA

View Full Version : First weekend in November - AT trip suggestions

msujay
10-14-2011, 08:21
Unfortunately I couldn't find a 3-4 day weekend during peak colors in October, so the earliest I can do a trip this year is the first weekend in November.

Any suggestions on a 3-4 day AT hike that covers 45-60 miles and might still have peak colors (or close)? We are in good shape and typically hike from dawn to dusk.

Cookerhiker
10-14-2011, 09:29
I suggest Virginia - either Shenandoah NP or the part paralleling the Blue Ridge Parkway. For the latter, it's a bit less than 60 miles from Daleville north to the James River at Rt. 501. The James River footbridge (a great experience to cross) is, at less than 700', the lowest AT point in VA but you'd also hike over Apple Orchard Mountain which exceeds 4,000'. So with the range of elevation, you're likely to see Fall colors.

rsjrny
10-17-2011, 07:48
I just completed the Maryland section yesterday afternoon, Pen-Mar, PA to Harper's Ferry, WV (3 days). It was a great trip. The colors were still changing and you may have not missed the best. With the side trips to views and a couple monuments the total distance was 45 miles.

BlakeGrice
10-21-2011, 22:55
Thanksgiving week Im starting at Springer Wed morning and seeing how far I can get by Saturday night. Neels relatively easy- maybe unicoi. Hikerhostel thanksgiving night with pizza- tent the rest.

Papa D
10-22-2011, 08:27
How about the whole state of Connecticut? Start on Race Brook Falls Trail in S. Mass, go SOBO and finish in W. Pawling, NY - can't remember the road there but it's pretty easy to find - this would be about 65 miles total. I did in March in the deep snow in 5 nights - without snow, you'll make much better time - might get it done in 3 days (you say you are in trail shape - my suggestion is basically thru-hiker speed)

msujay
10-22-2011, 08:59
I think we are going to do SNP, from Swift Run Gap to Front Royal, over 3.5 days. Thanks for the suggestions!