PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest chair

PapaGarrettP
10-14-2011, 10:31
I haven't seen anyone post about a Thermorest chair. I consider it a luxury, but for me a pretty important piece of comfort gear. Maybe not for a thru hike, but definitely for a 1-2 week trip. Weight is 10.5 oz and it turns my sleeping pad into a chair. Since I never sleep in shelters I do not sit at a picnic table to eat, BS, etc. This device gives plenty of back support at the end of a long day. And with 3-4 folks (or more) on a trip together, it is usually hard for everyone to sit against a tree. Any agreement here?
PapaG

4eyedbuzzard
10-14-2011, 10:48
I've got a Big Agnes one (Cyclone) that weighs 6 oz. Works well with both solid and inflatable pads. I've found that putting a hiking pole through the bottom helps keep it from pinching in on the thighs which is a problem with many of these chair kits. Very comfortable in that it allows you to recline a bit and relax your core muscles when sitting. It's held up well for several hikes given how light it is. Long term, who knows?

sixhusbands
10-14-2011, 11:37
I have one and I love it . My only problem is that it is so inviting that when I get up for something at a campsite , my hiking buddies are usually in it when I get back. In my opinion it is a must have on any overnight trip. It packs very easy, it weighs very little, it is easy to use and on top of all this , it is just cool!
I do not see much on the downside , other than being carefull where you put the valve stem on the thermarest. I usually duct tape the stem and it works fine.

just my 2 cents worth

ChinMusic
10-14-2011, 12:29
For me camp chairs are important on "social" trips, where I know I will be spending a great deal of time in camp, sitting around a fire. Without a chair I have a hard time getting comfortable. I can't fold up my body like some young folks. I have used the Thermarest chair but use a NeoAir pad now. My chair of choice is the Sling-Light. I'm sitting on one in my avatar pic.

And don't give me that crap about "lean against a tree". Who builds a fire that close to a tree?:D

scope
10-14-2011, 12:32
There is a time that I would've agreed with you. But, I found that I never really used it, so its relegated to the bottom of the junk closet.

Rocket Jones
10-14-2011, 23:02
I carry mine on short trips. But if there's a handy log around, I'll sit on that instead of fussing with the chair.