PDA

View Full Version : Osprey aether 60

Jcm
10-14-2011, 10:36
I thank I found a pack I like does anyone have the aether 60 and if u do would it be a good pack for my thru hike and if u have any cons on it pls list them thanks

Hooch
10-14-2011, 11:10
I thank I found a pack I like does anyone have the aether 60 and if u do would it be a good pack for my thru hike and if u have any cons on it pls list them thanksIf you like the pack, the best thing you can do is take all your gear and go to an outfitter that carries the Aether 60 and load it up, try it on, walk around with it and see how you like it. First, all your gear needs to fit into it and it needs to carry fairly comfortably. Teh Aether 60 is an excellent pack, but basing your purchase on how others like it is far too subective, especially when you're looking at spending $225+ on something. Personally, I recommend buying a first pack at REI. Their staff is friendly, knowledgable and their return/exchange policy can't be beat.

Khike
10-14-2011, 18:30
Hello! What a great pack! I have had it for 5 years. Longest hike was 9 days straight. Never had a problem in 5 years. My buddy, however has had 3 of the "other brands" of packs in that time, try to save wgt and every year has trouble. This year he bought an Aether 70. My pack carries 40 plus lbs without a problem. Very comfortable. I took my wife to Pike's Peak a couple of weeks ago. She got a brand new Ariel 50, the women's version, never hiked a step in her life and did 27 miles in 4 days without any trouble. The hip belt is the key, I think, and the Airscape padding next to your back is very nice. I can't say enough nice things about this pack. Just cinch that belt to your hip bones and go! I will occasionally get a little sore on my collar bone but then I just tighten or loosen the chest strap a little to change the pressure points. It is hard to get to your water bottles but we just ask your buddy to get it out for you, no sweat. There are no pockets. So, I use a fanny pack and keep my phone, camera, snacks and whatever in that. I put it on first and sling it a little low and put the pack on over it. I will have to say that the other reply is probably right about different strokes for different folks, but you can't go wrong with an Aether. Has a very good reputation. But it ain't super light, 4lbs 6ozs is what mine weighs. But it is comfortable, and comfort is everything to me. Guess you can tell I like my pack! Hope this helps. Kevin:D