PDA

View Full Version : Where in Florida can my dog hike to & stay in a primitive campsite?

Sailor (The other one)
10-14-2011, 11:27
We've got a 7 month old pup we're training to hike and camp with us. We're having trouble finding places in Flkorida that will allow us to hike with the dog and camp in a primitive site. Some parts-forests-preserves-wilderness areas allow dogs, but not on hiking trails. Some allow them on trails but not in primitive campsites. The only exception we've found so far is the Withlacoochee River Park, but its only a max 1/2 mile hike to their primitive sites.

Anyone know anyu place else in Florida where a dog can hike to a primitive campsite and camp there?

Thanks.

WingedMonkey
10-14-2011, 14:44
My view is that there is a shortage of primitive camping sites in Florida, most I do know of allow leashed dogs. You are lucky to live in Southwest Florida Water Management District, they have a decent amount of hiking trails and primitive sites on district lands.

One problem is they are also some prime hunting lands and are restricted during seasons which is also best season for both camping and hiking. But it's also easy to plan around as most hunts are scheduled on weekends if you are able to hike on week days.

Green Swamp is one of my favorites but others are good too.

Check out the district's recreation web site: http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/

justwalkin
10-14-2011, 14:50
What about the florida national scenic trail? It is a national trail like the AT.

Sailor (The other one)
10-14-2011, 15:16
"My view is that there is a shortage of primitive camping sites in Florida, most I do know of allow leashed dogs. You are lucky to live in Southwest Florida Water Management District, they have a decent amount of hiking trails and primitive sites on district lands.

One problem is they are also some prime hunting lands and are restricted during seasons which is also best season for both camping and hiking. But it's also easy to plan around as most hunts are scheduled on weekends if you are able to hike on week days.

Green Swamp is one of my favorites but others are good too.

Check out the district's recreation web site: http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/ (http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/) "

Thanks Winged. We've enjoyed some of the SWFTMD Green Swamp areas also. I have a copy of the SWFTMD recreation guide and only found two of their properties listed as allowing dogs both on trails and in primitive sites, and when we called to double check one said the listing was wrong. (In our area we found a SWFTMD site that allows dogs in camp but not on trails and a state park that allows dogs on trails but not in camp. Go figure.)

"What about the florida national scenic trail? It is a national trail like the AT. "
Good idea. Justwalkin. I'll have to check. I know in our area the FT crosses some of the same land I've been looking at, but often the rules are waived for people hiking that trail. Thanks for the idea.

justwalkin
10-14-2011, 15:47
Good luck!

WingedMonkey
10-14-2011, 15:48
Thanks Winged. We've enjoyed some of the SWFTMD Green Swamp areas also. I have a copy of the SWFTMD recreation guide and only found two of their properties listed as allowing dogs both on trails and in primitive sites, and when we called to double check one said the listing was wrong. (In our area we found a SWFTMD site that allows dogs in camp but not on trails and a state park that allows dogs on trails but not in camp. Go figure).

Sometime folks on the phone don't know enough to give good advice. The District's own rules read that dogs are alowed except "Dogs in areas not designated for dogs." Figure that one out.

For Water District owned lands that are managed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission check the individual Wildlife Management Area's rules. http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures/

They are usually clear on when camping is allowed and when dogs are allowed and when hunting with dogs might be different rules. Having said that, even thier rules can get confusing. Here is a sample from the Flying Eagle WMA PDF brochure :

"DOGS: 1.Hunting with dogs is prohibited, except bird dogs or retrievers are allowed during special September duck and small game seasons. 2.No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited. 3.Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game. 4.For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. During non-hunting periods the possession of dogs shall only be as authorized by the Southwest Florida Water Management District."

I guess you're back to "someone on the phone" telling you what that means. LOL

Good Luck

:p

Sailor (The other one)
10-14-2011, 15:55
My head is starting to hurt.

Ladytrekker
10-14-2011, 16:36
Most anywhere along the Florida Trail. Anywhere in the Ocala National Forest, the FT along the Suwannee River from White Springs to Suwannee River State Park, Citrus, Crooms, and Richloan Tracts in Citrus County, FL. Osceola National Forest all of these mentioned have primitive campsites or you camp where you stop just use the cautions of not camping near highways or intersections, etc. I have hiked all of these areas and there are numerous camping areas. The citrus county hikes are mostly dry hikes so prepare to have your own water. Just check with the areas this time of year it is hunting season in alot of the forest areas.

My favorite is the Suwannee portion of the FT very hilly with ravines and nice places to stop and make a campsite also there are some river camps along the way that you can stop at also.

There is a lot of FT info on the Florida Trail Association website.

Nick&Bruce
12-09-2011, 11:38
I've been doing a bunch of day hikes at the Starkey Wilderness Preserve (Serenova Tract & Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park) with my dog, but think it would make a good two day trip. http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/starkeywilderness.html I generally park at the north entrance off 52 and hike south through the Serenova Tract until it's late and I need to turn around and head back, but if you planned on staying overnight you should be able to make it to the primitive sites at Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park. It's nice hiking with some fun scenery and wildlife. *Scratch that, I just noticed that JBSWP only allows dogs in day use areas but ST allows them at campsites so it would make more sense to park at the South end of the preserve and hike north instead.

Sailing_Faith
12-09-2011, 12:46
I know nothing of the specifics of this post (but hey, it is the internet right?) :)

I can speak to the;
...dogs are alowed except "Dogs in areas not designated for dogs." Figure that one out.
... issue.

Basically, there are areas with posted 'no dogs' signs... usually visitor centers, bathrooms, picnicking areas, and historical sights.

I believe the cryptic phrase is used as a disclaimer that there are areas that dogs are not permitted... I would not be discouraged from taking my dog with me there, just be mindful of the signs.

Gray Blazer
12-09-2011, 13:01
Etoniah Creek State Forest

free66
12-09-2011, 15:19
I live down in Naples and the Collier/Seminole State Park has a nice little 6 1/2 trail with primitive camping..... and allows dogs. = )

PapaGarrettP
12-09-2011, 16:08
Here are the rules for State Parks. My son and I have walked to the primitive camp site at Jonathan Dickinson State Park. That would seem like a great place for a dog.
Domestic pets are permitted in designated day-use areas at ALL Florida State Parks. They must be kept on a handheld leash that is six feet or shorter and be well-behaved at all times. Pet owners are required to pick up after their pets and properly dispose of their droppings. Pets are not permitted on beaches or playgrounds, or in bathing areas, cabins, park buildings or concession facilities. Individual parks may have specific areas prohibiting pets.
Service animals are welcome in all areas of Florida State Parks.
Park areas will be evaluated, as to the suitability of pets, on a periodic basis as part of the unit management planning process. Areas of the park designated as prohibited for pets shall be determined based on park natural and cultural resources, primary recreational activities, camper and pet health and safety, geographical location and layout of camping areas, and the ability to provide a quality recreational experience for all visitors.

Pet Camping Rules (http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/petpolicy.cfm#petcamping)
Pet Safety (http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/petpolicy.cfm#petsafety)
FWC's Cats Indoors! Education Campaign (http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/petpolicy.cfm#fwc)

PET CAMPING RULES RETURN TO TOP (http://www.floridastateparks.org/thingstoknow/petpolicy.cfm#top)
For everyone's enjoyment, including pets, please observe the following pet camping rules. Failure to abide by these rules may result in the camper being asked to board the pet outside the park or check out of the campground.

Pets are not allowed in any state park cabins.
Pets must be vaccinated against rabies. Owners are not required to show proof of vaccination.
Horses must have proof of negative Coggins test.
Pets must be confined, leashed or otherwise under the physical control of a person at all times. Leashes may not exceed six feet in length. Pets that are tethered at a campsite cannot be left unattended for more than 30 minutes. Pets may not be tied to trees, bushes, tables or shelter facilities even when the owners are present.
Pets must be well-behaved at all times.
Pets must be confined in the owner's camping unit during park quiet hours, 11 PM - 8 AM.
Pet owners are required to pick up after their pets and properly dispose of all pet droppings in trash receptacles.
Any pet that is noisy, dangerous, intimidating or destructive will not be allowed to remain in the park.
Non-furbearing pets, such as reptiles, birds or fish, must be confined or under the physical control of the owner. Some animals may be prohibited on park property. Captive wild species, whether native or non-native and barnyard animals, except horses, are prohibited.

WingedMonkey
12-09-2011, 17:34
Here are the rules for State Parks. My son and I have walked to the primitive camp site at Jonathan Dickinson State Park. That would seem like a great place for a dog.

Nope

Two backpack camps are available on segments of the Florida Trail. Maps of the Trail are available at the Ranger Station. One camp is five miles out along the trail, and the other is nine miles out. A pitcher pump is located near each camp. Water must be treated. Pets are not permitted on this trail and/or at these camps. Collection of firewood is not permitted in Florida State Parks; be sure to pack a stove for cooking. Overnight trips to these camps must begin by certain specified times of the day; reservations are not required, but are suggested. Call the Ranger Station at (772) 546-2771 for information and reservations.

http://floridastateparks.org/jonathandickinson/activities.cfm