PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardware Crazy Legs Sleeping Bag

Freeze
02-27-2005, 15:13
A friend of mine gave me a Mountain Hardware Crazy Legs Sleeping Bag.
He clames it's a 20 Degree Bag, but It feels very thin.
I think he bought it around 1998, and has taken it out approximately 50 nights.

1. Does anyone know if this is indeed a 20 dregree bag?
2. It feels very thin. Could it be that the 100% polyester filling has deteriorated after all these years, or is that how it's supposed to be?

My friend cut the tags off, so there is no way for me to find out. I have been unable to find any information on the internet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

DebW
02-27-2005, 17:54
Best way to estimate the warmth of the bag is to measure the loft in inches. I believe a 20 degree bag should have about 5-6 inches of loft (top and bottom combined). Only way to be sure is to sleep in it.

Freeze
02-28-2005, 12:25
thanks.
Does anyone know if this is a 20 degree bag?
I'm sure someone here owns or used to own one of these.
Thanks.

Chip
02-28-2005, 13:13
A friend of mine gave me a Mountain Hardware Crazy Legs Sleeping Bag.
He clames it's a 20 Degree Bag, but It feels very thin.
I think he bought it around 1998, and has taken it out approximately 50 nights.

1. Does anyone know if this is indeed a 20 dregree bag?
2. It feels very thin. Could it be that the 100% polyester filling has deteriorated after all these years, or is that how it's supposed to be?

My friend cut the tags off, so there is no way for me to find out. I have been unable to find any information on the internet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I bought my MH Crazy Legs bag back in 1998, I believe this was the last year that MH made this type of sleeping bag with the elastic ribbing around the knee area that provides more leg room. My bag is a 2nd dimension and is rated at 15 degrees. The fill is Polarguard 3D, finished size for regular bag is 28" X 78", net weight filling material is 1 lbs. 10 oz.. I have really enjoyed this bag and have used it when the temp was around 10 degrees. Stayed nice and toasty.This bag is still in great shape. I have used so many times that I have lost track. I store my bags fully open, not in the stuff sacks. This way the loft (materials) will not be compressed over time.Wash once or twice a year. Depends on use. Basically use this as my 3 season bag. Have a Sierra Designs Shackleton 3D, 0 degree bag for winter use. Hope this info helps.

Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

Freeze
02-28-2005, 22:41
Thanks.
I washed it and it feels like it has a little more loft.
My friend reassures me it's a 20 degree.
The shell is nylon, the filling and inner linning are 100% polyester.
I'll try calling MH just to double check. Well see if they are able to tell me.

Freeze
03-01-2005, 22:28
I called MH and they told me that the life expectancy of a polyester/nylon bag was 5 years. I degreades with time and use. They told me the rating would probably be that around of a summer bag now.
Bummer! I guess i'll listen and buy a new one. Would hate to find out on a 20/25 degree night that they were right!

Toolshed
03-02-2005, 11:20
I bought my wife a MH Carzy Legs Down bag around 97 or 98. Still going strong (and it is a 20 degree bag)
I wouldn't even mess with synth fills due to the short lifespan as compared to down.