PDA

View Full Version : Daily wafarin and extended trips.

mark schofield
10-15-2011, 17:10
After a long flight back from Vietnam, I developed deep vein thrombosis and have started on the daily wafarin regimen. I've been putting in my normal 3 miles per day and continue with all my normal routines. When the spring comes and I start going out for a week or two at a time, eating my Mountian House diet, what can I expect. Like what type of changes might I have to make. Thanks for any feedback. Mark S.

The Old Boot
10-15-2011, 19:42
Check with your doctors first. IIRC, when my ex b/f had the same thing, he was only on warfarin for a limited amount of time, not a lifetime of it!

Toolshed
10-15-2011, 20:44
Been on Warfarin for 7 years. My dosage is pretty stable. Eating more or less greens will cause fluctuations, but I have found them to be nominal at best. What I found could really trigger a drop are garden grown tomatoes. My target is 3.0 and I fluctuate between 2.5 and 3.5. No aspirin or Ibuprofen on an empty stomach. I have cut myself probably a few hundred times and you may bleed a little longer, but all has been manageable except for a cut on my tongue which took me to the ED after 16 hours of continually swallowing blood. I find no other variation in my INR due to changes in fluid uptake, exertion levels or sleep levels.

weary
10-15-2011, 21:50
I was put on Warfarin after a heart valve was replaced 9 years ago. My INR continues to fluctuate, regardless of diet, as near as I can tell. So the dose keeps changing. I have to have my blood checked every week or two (just a pin prick. It's only a problem when I'm going to be away for a month or more.) I would try to convince my docs that a daily baby aspirin would do as well. Though I haven't been successful at that effort. Warfarin was originally marketed as a rat poison. Too much can trigger fatal internal bleeding -- killing the rat, and apparently humans, which is why doses are carefully regulated

Hoop
10-15-2011, 23:20
If by the spring your target number has been consistent for a whilewithout tweaking the dosage, and the doc is ok with no complications from the thromband there aren't other issues not disclosed here that scare him, ask for his blessing. You may be off it by then anyway. I take the stuff and have no limitations, just use common sense.

Feral Bill
10-16-2011, 00:26
I was put on Warfarin after a heart valve was replaced 9 years ago. My INR continues to fluctuate, regardless of diet, as near as I can tell. So the dose keeps changing. I have to have my blood checked every week or two (just a pin prick. It's only a problem when I'm going to be away for a month or more.) I would try to convince my docs that a daily baby aspirin would do as well. Though I haven't been successful at that effort. Warfarin was originally marketed as a rat poison. Too much can trigger fatal internal bleeding -- killing the rat, and apparently humans, which is why doses are carefully regulated So be sure to share with the shelter mice.

mark schofield
10-16-2011, 07:19
Hi Guys; thanks for the feedback. I think I'm most concerned with the extra exercise and necessary change in diet that's part of extended backpacking. We'll see in the spring. Mark S

Doc Mike
10-18-2011, 04:05
You might want to ask your doctor about Pradaxa. A new blood thinner currently only approved for treating A-fib but should be approved for other conditions soon. The best things about it are constant dose and no monthly levels to check.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2011, 20:04
Mark I kept looking at this like it was an old thread - I looked at the dates and the posts over and over again and I was APPALLED! almost sickened... hold on let me upjuch in the trash can.... next to me.

This thread is very problematic and frustrating. - Does this smell funny to you - Men....Wow

Alright guys - this drug (poison) is nothing more than fermented clover leaves. Yea call me on that. in the 1800's veterinarians were trying to fix torn udders on cows, and they would bleed to death. This is not about educating you but there is more poison in your underarm deodorant than taking a controlled medicine - or a rat poison. This isn't the dark ages anymore. So if you are on this pharmacopoeia - and you see pigs fly... then I will accept your posts.

Old Hillwalker
11-09-2011, 08:00
You might want to ask your doctor about Pradaxa. A new blood thinner currently only approved for treating A-fib but should be approved for other conditions soon. The best things about it are constant dose and no monthly levels to check.

I did check with my Internist and he stated that a big problem with Pradaxa is that once you are taking it, it is impossible to quickly reverse the effects in the event of an incident causing significant bleeding. Warfarin's effects can be negated in an emergency, Pradaxa cannot.

Doc Mike
11-09-2011, 08:35
Probably a true statement if you say "quickly reverse". As far as reversal it is possible using dialysis and transfusions. Did he also mention that it isn't affected by diet therefore the risk of getting your blood to thin is significantly lower than with coumadin. As I said before currently only approved for treatment of A-Fib. Best of luck on your hike and I would make sure that initially on your hike you have your PT checked more frequently since will be less greens in the diet which can increase your PT.

ezdoesit
11-10-2011, 21:35
After a long flight back from Vietnam, I developed deep vein thrombosis and have started on the daily wafarin regimen. I've been putting in my normal 3 miles per day and continue with all my normal routines. When the spring comes and I start going out for a week or two at a time, eating my Mountian House diet, what can I expect. Like what type of changes might I have to make. Thanks for any feedback. Mark S.

Mark let me be the first one to say welcome home brother been there 68-70 USS New Jersey.
Tomorrow is Veterans Day and we should give thanks for all that has been done and continues to be done.