PDA

View Full Version : In Case Of Emergency??

wornoutboots
10-15-2011, 17:43
Is there one number that someone can call for the whole trail if a hiker is in trouble or is missing?

Spokes
10-15-2011, 17:49
Just use 911. There's no such thing as a national 911 system, instead calls are routed to the nearest agency.

Always give you location FIRST, then state your emergency. Don't be surprised if your transferred to another agency.

911's not perfect but nothing is in life.

Read more about the "network" here:
http://editor5.securesites.net/911/

hikerboy57
10-15-2011, 17:53
you could also post a notice right here.

wornoutboots
10-15-2011, 18:45
how about more per state? like, I'm leaving next week to hike from Damascus to Erwin, who would my wife call in case of an emergency? I was thinking that per state there are NP ranger stations or something?

Don H
10-15-2011, 21:05
When using a cell phone to call 911 the call is routed to the jurisdiction the tower is in, which might not be where you are. It happens all the time around here, I've called 911 and got the Emergency Operations Center in the next county. Also you probably won't know what county you're in and you can see it can cause confusion. SO call 911 and give them as much information on your location as possible. I also keep the 800 number for the ranger station in Shenandoah NP. The ranger there had jurisdiction over the entire AT. If you tell them what mile you are at they will know who to call for you. The information is on the ATC site and is pasted here:

Guidelines for Use of the ATC Incident Report/Search Form by ATC and Appalachian Trail Maintaining ClubsIn an emergency (a situation requiring immediate medical or law-enforcement response):
1) Call the appropriate emergency-response dispatcher (usually 911);
2) Call (or ask the dispatcher to call) the Shenandoah National Park 24-hour communications center at 800-732-0911, which will notify the NPS Chief Ranger for the Appalachian Trail.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2011, 21:13
Damascus to Erwin is a pretty busy stretch of trail right now with SOBO's and great Fall hiking in general; therefore, if something happens, you won't be alone for too long. Have a good hike.

wornoutboots
10-15-2011, 21:20
Thanks everyone, I carry a SPOT & I've soloed a lot but I was just curious because I didn't remember seeing diffent ranger station #'s for the wilderness areas in any AT guide? I just like to leave as much info with my wife when I leave for a trip.

Shooting Star
10-16-2011, 00:25
Thanks everyone, I carry a SPOT & I've soloed a lot but I was just curious because I didn't remember seeing diffent ranger station #'s for the wilderness areas in any AT guide? I just like to leave as much info with my wife when I leave for a trip.

The AT maps list the counties and National Forest districts that the trail passes through. Look up online
the sheriff's office phone number and website (if they have one) for each county and the same info for
the Forest Service offices. Provide these contacts to your wife in case she needs to report or check
up on your situation. And if you're using a SPOT, she should be able to provide whatever checkin or
tracking fixes she's received to the sheriff and rangers if needed.