PDA

View Full Version : mcdonalds on the trail

Pages
10-15-2011, 18:23
my son just told me that the other night the travel channel showed something about the AT. he said at one point it showed a cabin with mcdonalds arches in the woods - and the narrator said something like "...there's even a mcdonald's on the trail."

i told him either they were joking, or he misunderstood, or the travel channel just got it wrong, but there is no mcdonalds right on the trail, unless you count trail magic.

i know the trail has become much more commercial in recent years, but still no mcdonald's right on the trail, right?
please tell me i'm not wrong!

thanks

TV

Jeff
10-15-2011, 19:59
Cannot think of one on the AT.

Out west on the PCT there is a McDonalds a few tenths off trail at Cajon Pass near I-15.

mikec
10-15-2011, 20:08
I remember that, in Troutville, VA, there is a Pizza Hut within about 100 feet of where the trail crosses US220. And there is a McDonalds within about 2 miles of the trail at that crossing. But I don't recall any that were closer. Whoever has the PDF version of the Companion needs to do a search within it for McDonalds.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2011, 20:17
I fancy myself a bit of a McDonalds expert along the AT as that is the first place I go when I get to some trail towns......I crave McDonalds when I hike. So no, there isn't a McDonalds right on the trail; however, there are some nice McDonalds in some of the towns along the AT. Some my of favorites are in Gorham, NH, Manchester Center, VT, Lee, Mass and here in Elizabethton, TN! Now if they'll just put the McRib back on the menu....LOL!!

mountain squid
10-15-2011, 20:38
here in Elizabethton, TN! Now if they'll just put the McRib back on the menu....LOL!!I saw it on the sign either today or yesterday . . . (the Elizabethon McD's is about 8-10 miles off the trail).

I got a good ride back to the trail from the McD's in Manchester Ctr and I remember sitting and drinking some coffee at the one in Gorham (probably had some Egg McMuffins, too). mmmmm

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Just a Hiker
10-15-2011, 20:55
Hey Squid, I will definitely check it out tomorrow....I'm a sucker for the McRib! I'll be there Wednesday for trail maintenance with the Emory and Henry College group.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2011, 21:59
I saw it on the sign either today or yesterday . . . (the Elizabethon McD's is about 8-10 miles off the trail).

I got a good ride back to the trail from the McD's in Manchester Ctr and I remember sitting and drinking some coffee at the one in Gorham (probably had some Egg McMuffins, too). mmmmm

See you on the trail,
mt squidthere's a mcDsin hampton on 19e about 4 miles from the trail at wautaga lake

Spokes
10-15-2011, 22:16
I believe it, especially since there's wifi in all the shelters now.

Just a Hiker
10-15-2011, 23:16
there's a mcDsin hampton on 19e about 4 miles from the trail at wautaga lake

Usually reasonable gas prices at the gas station there as well. By the way, the old Copper Kettle Restaurant in Hampton has just re-opened as "Whattaburger". Haven't tried it yet.

ChinMusic
10-15-2011, 23:19
Thrus must kill those dollar menu items.

garlic08
10-15-2011, 23:23
Cannot think of one on the AT.

Out west on the PCT there is a McDonalds a few tenths off trail at Cajon Pass near I-15.

And here's proof....

leaftye
10-15-2011, 23:52
And here's proof....

If it's super hot there, as it often is, it's worth going there just to cool off. Fortunately the rest of southern California isn't nearly as hot, just don't tell those people that think it's a real desert and thus completely devoid of water and super hot all year long.