PDA

View Full Version : Bivy or not to bivy

Jcm
10-16-2011, 09:56
What do you all thank abot taking a bivy for a thrw hike??

Slo-go'en
10-16-2011, 11:39
Like anything else, it has its advantages and disadvantages.

First, you need one with built-in bug netting and a support system to keep it off your face. Second, you need a good sized tarp to put over it, otherwise you'll get wet getting in and out of it if it is raining, plus you need something to hang out under and stay dry.

The advantage is it improves the temp rating of your bag, and you can use it in a shelter without anyone getting upset about it, as it has the same foot print as your sleeping bag. Also, since it has a smaller foot print than a tent, finding a place to laydown in it can be easier then finding a spot for a tent.

That said, your probably not going to get much or any weight or volume savings from using a bivy/trap combo over a good tent. And having a tent which you can sit up in and change clothes in is a big plus over a bivy sack.

Moose2001
10-16-2011, 12:19
There's a reason you see almost no bivy's on the AT.

Hosaphone
10-16-2011, 12:32
By bivy do you mean tarp+bivy, or just bivy? Hoping to stay in shelters mainly? I think only bringing a bivy would be completely miserable in a multi-day rainstorm. It would also be very difficult to keep your sleeping bag dry. Typically a bivy is paired with a small tarp.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=15273

I like to tarp whenever possible but I think I would take some sort of tent on a thru hike for a bunch of reasons. Then again maybe I wouldn't, I dunno. Both tents/tarptents and tarp+bivy have their pros and cons and it's a personal choice.

One nice thing about tarping is you can pick up a cheap (but heavy one) from Campmor or even just a hardware store and try it out and see if you like it. Then you can buy the expensive cuben/whatever tarp later if you so desire.

leaftye
10-16-2011, 13:05
It's a great way to cowboy camp without the bugs. Yeah, a headnet can be used, but I tend to read for a while before going to sleep, and a headnet allows bugs plenty of access.

SunnyWalker
05-22-2012, 15:38
I'm planning on using my hammock, not my bivi on AT.

ChinMusic
05-22-2012, 15:43
Got #6? You're a winner.

Tinker
05-22-2012, 19:00
Bivy sacks are insufferably hot on all but very cool nights, and they are impossible to get into and out of in driving rain. Add the weight of a tarp, plus the complexity of guying out said tarp, subtract the peace of mind that bug netting and a floor brings (keeps out spiders, ticks, and snakes, among other things), and you have bivy camping. :D

Tent or hammock +tarp is the way to go on the AT except late fall, winter, and early spring, when you can get away with a bivy (and tarp or poncho/tarp). ;)