PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain from my pack

mattydt20
02-27-2005, 18:11
I just recently got into hiking and purchased a granite gear vapor trail. Yesterday I loaded it with 30 pounds and walked a couple of miles to test out its comfort. This morning my trapezoid muscles are aching from where the shoulder straps cross them. Is trapezoid pain something that I should just expect while hiking or is my pack a poor fit? If the former, and I should just come to expect trapezoid soreness, will developing my trap muscles help alleviate the burden of the pack?
I'd appreciate your thoughts.

SGT Rock
02-27-2005, 19:11
It could be some of both. Who fit the thing for you?

orangebug
02-27-2005, 19:35
Any bruising to go along with that pain? I don't know that you are fitted well with that pack, or have adjusted it to shift weight to the hip belt adequately. I usually takes me a full afternoon to get everthing bent and adjusted with a new pack.

karo
02-27-2005, 19:56
Do you have the correct size pack to match your torso length? This could be the problem. With a fully loaded pack and the hipbelt snug on your hips, you should be able to slide your hands under your shoulder pads. Also the Vapor Trail is at its maximum wieght at 30 lbs. Get someone to help you pack it and adjust it properly. I had mine (a long torso length) fully loaded and added a daypack to it for last weekends' Sipsey trip. I could tell it was loaded or even overloaded. I only had the full weight for 2 miles tho, but it got a good load test!

mattydt20
02-27-2005, 20:24
I got it fitted at Eastern Mountain Sports, and granted, the gentleman did not appear to be a very experienced hiker. My torso is 19 inches, right on the bubble between a medium and large torso length. When trying the pack the large seemed to be a better fit because I did seem to have more room under the shoulder straps.
I purchased the vapor trail because of its light weight construction. I figure if I'm going lightweight then the best way to cut initial pounds is by purchasing a light pack. I also looked at the Gregory G and Z pack, which seemed to fit nicely as well, however, it adds another pound to my pack weight.
You said that I should be able to slide my hands under my shoulder pads. Is this in reference to the very tops of my shoulders (trapezoid area)?
Also, the loaded pack should be in contact with my entire back region, correct?
Thanks a lot for the responses!

orangebug
02-27-2005, 20:39
Yup, you should have room between your traps and the straps. The pressure of the straps should be on your chest.

And you will want to load and unload this pack several times while adjusting the stays. It should fit your back like a glove.

I suspect that if you don't get a bit better fit, this pack is going back to EMS.

Footslogger
02-27-2005, 20:41
[QUOTE=mattydt20]I just recently got into hiking and purchased a granite gear vapor trail. Yesterday I loaded it with 30 pounds and walked a couple of miles to test out its comfort.
===============================
I hike with the Vapor Trail and contrary to the advertised capacity ...they don't carry 30 lbs very well. At that weight the hip belt just can't handle the load transfer and it sags, resulting in your carrying all the weight on your shoulders.

When I first got mine I was in Pearisburg on my thru-hike. I crammed everything I had in my other pack into the Vapor Trail and it weighed right around 30 lbs. I hated it at first. Once I got smart and trimmed my load by 5 - 6 lbs I noticed a huge difference. If you can get your packweight down to around 24 - 25 lbs I think you'll see a big difference and your shoulders won't get so sore from bearing all the weight.

Since the issue of "fit" came up in other posts I'll tell you that I am 5' 10" and my torso length is around 17 - 18". I carry the Medium Vapor Trail.

'Slogger
AT 2003

yappy
02-27-2005, 20:47
I have a vapor also for this years' hike and am doing some snowshoeing with it.I find if ya loosen the shoulders straps a bit and tighen the hipbelt it is very very comfy. I am right around 25 lbs. If the hipbelt isn't resting on the tops of your hipbones you have the wrong size,, good luck ! I think granite gear makes a terrif pack... hope it works for you

tlbj6142
02-28-2005, 14:07
This is such a subjective area (packfitting). If I had to guess, I'd say the torso length is too long. I once owned a pack with too long of a torso and found the exact same pain after a long hike. Short dayhikes (10miles or less), I didn't really notice.

What I believe is happening is you are arching your shoulders a bit to "make them fit" the straps (to make up for the slop you mentioned). This is what causes the pain.

Connie
03-01-2005, 13:45
Maybe you could find another employee more skilled in fitting the pack?

I have bought a pack, I liked, because an employee in the store made it fit properly. Otherwise, that pack was just interesting.