PDA

View Full Version : Need clothing tips fast!!

silverfox
10-16-2011, 11:21
I will be doing a section hike in northern Ga to Franklin this month. I want to go as UL as possible. I get very cold at night and will be cold in the morning at start but I heat up very quickly. I don't know where to begin with clothing for this time of year as I have only hiked in the summer. Please help!!

Kerosene
10-16-2011, 12:10
My daughter is similar to you. Here's what has worked for her.
First, make every effort to hike in hiking clothes and camp in your camping clothes. If you get your camp clothes wet they will generally not be nearly as comfortable.
This time of year, you can probably still hike in shorts and T, but you may want long or convertible pants or perhaps put some legging under your shorts to cut the chill. I find that I can go bare-legged down to about 40F when I'm hiking, but I may add a pair of lightweight (3 oz) DWR windpants that breathe very well and cut the wind. You could replace the T with a long-sleeve synthetic shirt, or perhaps add a lightweight fleece.
Camp wear is where you'll add a lot of weight relative to summer hiking. First, make sure you bring a warm enough sleeping bag -- a 20F bag should work for this time of year in the mountains. You can always bail to your sleeping bag to get warm if your camp clothes aren't warm enough. Have a clean, fresh pair of thick socks, long underwear (tops and bottoms), plus a watchcap...all of which I typically sleep in if it's chilly. I'd probably bring a second layer for your legs (pants or sweatpants maybe) and then layer your windpants and/or rainpants if you need more warmth. For the top I only bring a 100-weight fleece plus my rain parka, but if you get really cold you could go with a bulky 200-weight fleece, lightweight sweater, or superlight down sweater. You'll also want lightweight gloves. I always have cold feet, so this past trip I added a pair of 3 oz down booties (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down-Garments&cat=Booties) which worked really well around camp and in my bag.

silverfox
10-16-2011, 12:52
My bag is a Montbell super spiral down 30. I'll probably have to layer up at night bc the temps are to be down to like 31. Think I'm ok on the socks and liners, convertible pants and long underwear. Can you give me the brand of the top/fleece/windpant/sweater you are speaking of? Also, have you ever hiked during hunting season? If so what precautions did you take if any?

johnnybgood
10-16-2011, 13:01
This time of year, you can probably still hike in shorts and T, but you may want long or convertible pants or perhaps put some legging under your shorts to cut the chill. I find that I can go bare-legged down to about 40F when I'm hiking, but I may add a pair of lightweight (3 oz) DWR windpants that breathe very well and cut the wind. You could replace the T with a long-sleeve synthetic shirt, or perhaps add a lightweight fleece.
+1 I can hike in shorts at 30 degree temps unless a wind kicks up.

SusanJoy
10-22-2011, 00:55
Protecting yourself against the cold so that you don't fall ill should be at the forefront of your mind. It can be a costly to fill your wardrobe with proper clothing. Seek out clothing that is long sleeved or stretchy and combine these with a sweatshirt or zipped jacket when you are indoors.

Papa D
10-22-2011, 08:08
You will probably be able to hike in shorts - or shorts with light leggings (like patagonia long johns or running tights beneath them) - I'd suggest a long sleeve running (tech type) shirt and possibly a stocking cap that you can remove about 9 or 10 am. Wear trail runners on your feet and smart wool socks.
For the evenings, you will want patagonia type long johns, a good wool or fleece sweater, a stocking cap and (ideally) a down jacket and some fleece gloves - if you don't have a down jacket (and since you are just out for a weekend, some other heavier coat will probably be ok.
It always goes without saying that you must carry a good rain jacket (no matter what the forecast says).
Also, remember that the mountains will be colder than what is forecasted for local nearby towns (like Clayton and Franklin) by 3-5 degrees.
You should have fun though - the weather is far from "extreme."

Papa D
10-22-2011, 08:14
Your Montbell bag is a good one but that 30 degree rating (while accurate from Montbell) is a :survival rating - - I see you live in SC. You could go by Sunrift in Travelers Rest and rent a warmer bag or you could add a lightweight sleeping bag inside that one. Another thing that I often do is boil water and put it (carefully and tightly) in a nalgene bottle right before I go to sleep. This will keep you warm all night if the temps are in the 30s. FYI, I'll be out next weekend (near the Smokies) and will be carrying a 0 degree bag - this keeps me warm and comfortable into the high teens / low 20s.