PDA

View Full Version : Hopkins Prairie to Rodman Dam

Ladytrekker
10-16-2011, 11:22
Does anyone know if this route will have water to filter, I would rather not blue trail if possible. Doing this in 3 days 2 nights and hope to stay on trail for the duration. I understand this is usually wet but we have had minimal rain here in Florida.

Anyone have any info of this section of the FT, would like any and all I can get.

Thanks,

WingedMonkey
10-16-2011, 12:54
Just a reminder, you must camp at designated camps during general gun hunting season on Ocala. That means Hopkins Prairie, Grassy Pond (you might want to double check, it was closed to hunters but open to backpackers last I was there) and Lake Delancy West on that section. You can make a blue blaze into Salt Springs if in the mood for food and supply and the 88 store there will let you camp there also.
There is potable water at Delancy and Hopkins from hand pumps, and pond water at Grassy Pond. Other small ponds are iffy and sometimes hard to find.
Can't tell you if you need to filter pond water, Forest Service says you do, my Florida Cracker gut never has a problem.

:sun

Ladytrekker
10-16-2011, 14:19
Thanks and yea I have drank my share of river and pond water with no issues but I also carry a bota bottle for really nasty water.

moytoy
10-16-2011, 15:31
The recent rains have put water in the ponds south of Hwy 40 and I suspect also north of Hwy 40. Along with the helpful hints from WM and pond water you should be able to find plenty of water. I always filter surface water but thats just me. You didn't say when you are going but I may get up in that area this week and if I do I'll try to give some firsthand knowledge of water in the ponds.

WingedMonkey
10-16-2011, 15:32
Yeah I carry a similar model filter bottle for just in case, store stuff in it when it's empty.

You didn't say when your hike dates are. The hunt dates for the zones that part of the trail goes through are November 12 to January 8. Any other time it's open to dispersed forest camping.

Ladytrekker
10-16-2011, 19:06
Going in November Veterans Day weekend there are about 9 of hiking it.

mmais68569
10-17-2011, 07:28
Be careful of the water from the hand pump at Hopkins Prairie the last time I was there it was so muddy & sandy that it was unfit ti use, the lake water was better.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

moytoy
10-18-2011, 18:03
I went into Hopkins Prairie today and checked the handpump water. It is good right now. The lake and the ponds north of the Prairie are still low. I only walked about 3 miles north on the FT so I don't have any comprehensive water info yet. I plan on going back out later in the week.

WingedMonkey
10-18-2011, 18:39
Most likely any mud and sand in that pump was due to pranks or vandalism. Or just bored children.

Ladytrekker
10-18-2011, 18:42
I went into Hopkins Prairie today and checked the handpump water. It is good right now. The lake and the ponds north of the Prairie are still low. I only walked about 3 miles north on the FT so I don't have any comprehensive water info yet. I plan on going back out later in the week.

Great thanks for the first hand info really do appreciate it. So happy the weather is getting better for hiking suppose to be in the forties in Jacksonville by Thursday. I want the ticks, mosquitos, etc to go back into hibernation before I get there. LOL....hate them.

SoFlo
10-18-2011, 20:32
The trial south of Grassy Pond is usually dry even during the rainy season. But there is water avaiable at Store 88 via the blue trail that starts about 0.5 miles north of the East-West Junction. Folks at the store are hiker friendly and offer free water from the outside tap. The store is 0.4 mile east of the Florida Trail via the blue blaze.

WingedMonkey
01-01-2012, 12:58
We never got a trail report. Did all go as planned?

:sun