PDA

View Full Version : Need a thru hiker

Jcm
10-16-2011, 11:49
Hello I need help finding a person to go on a thru hike with I know it sounds a little crazy but all my friends are scared of a 2000 mile hike and I don't won't to go alone I'm not much of a loner I'm 24 I'm from ky and I can make it to Maine my email is [email protected] so if u are forreal and won't backout half way tho the trip then email me but pls be forreal or if anyone knows how I can find someone pls let me know thank you very much

Lyle
10-16-2011, 12:01
If you've read much here on Whiteblaze, you know that it will be very easy to meet up with folks who will be a better match for your hiking style once you get out on the trail. Setting up a partner before the trip, especially one you don't already know and have hiked with, seldom works out. In fact, you have to consciously try not to end up in a group, it is a natural association usually. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Secondly, at the start of a trip like this, I don't think ANYONE can assure you that they won't back out. Your best bet would be someone who is an experienced long-distance hiker who knows what they are setting out on. The problem is that most of them will not be in the market for finding an unknown partner to commit to - they know better. :)

Just go out and hike, rest assured that you will probably find a good friend within the first few days. At least you will find some very tolerable, temporary acquaintance that will fill in until you do meet your long-term friend. You also may well decide that you really don't want the restriction of a permanent partner. This "partner" thing always works out to your satisfaction if you allow it to.

conburn
10-16-2011, 13:41
I'm glad I stumbled onto this, Lyle that's some good advice. I had originally planned to go it alone, knowing that there would be a lot of people in the same boat as me and it would be easy to meet people. After talking to a friend about it, he was sold on the trip. A part of me wanted that solo trip, but my mommy is a lot happier so it all works out. I still think being alone may be best. I've known my friend for awhile, but I'm sure we'll have our fair share of spats over the course of 4-5 months. It will be like being married to someone without any of the perks. From what I heard by solo hiking you can have as much solitude, or lack of, as you want. Hope to see you out there Jcm!

Spokes
10-16-2011, 14:40
Most thru's get a "trail family" within the first couple days. No worries.

-Ghost-
10-16-2011, 16:48
I hiked it solo at 23...wouldnt have done it any other way. Met so many awesome people along the way. With plans for continued adventures with some of them =)

Chaco Taco
10-16-2011, 18:00
you will meet plenty of people along the way

DapperD
10-16-2011, 18:54
Hello I need help finding a person to go on a thru hike with I know it sounds a little crazy but all my friends are scared of a 2000 mile hike and I don't won't to go alone I'm not much of a loner I'm 24 I'm from ky and I can make it to Maine my email is [email protected] so if u are forreal and won't backout half way tho the trip then email me but pls be forreal or if anyone knows how I can find someone pls let me know thank you very muchFrom what I understand, if you leave during peak thru-hiker season, around the second half of March thru the first half of April from Georgia heading Northbound, there will be plenty of other potential thru-hikers starting out around this time that you will encounter, and that you can hike with and be around. I think finding a partner beforehand is OK, if it helps to get you out there and it helps ease some concerns about otherwise having to "go it alone", then in my opinion it is OK to find someone who is going to be starting the same time you will be, and to whom you can correspond with about your hike and start with on the big day. If they live close enough, it would be wise if you can make arrangements to do some shakedown hikes together to test your gear and to test yourself. You will then be able to tell if your personalities and hiking styles are similar or if they are not beforehand, and you will then be able to get an idea of wether or not the partnership will work out. The main thing to keep in mind is the fact that if it is not possible to get together beforehand to be able to gauge wether the partnership will work out or not, then realize that once you arrive in Georgia, it may very well quickly unravel and not work out, and you will need to be completely prepared for this. This means having all your own gear, and being physically and mentally able to go it alone. Also there is no way to tell wether a person can and will stay committed to hiking with you. This is impossible. Things happen all the time in life, and a potential partner could easily back out of the hike at any time once it is underway or even the night before you are set to depart for it:-?.

Papa D
10-16-2011, 20:12
ditto what must people say here - I started with a partner that lasted 2 weeks and met other great folks on the trail and my thru was long ago - now, you will pretty much hike with a "crew" NOBO or SOBO - you'll fall in step with one or two people and they will sort of be "your partners" - what I call "trail marriages" rarely work - a thru hike is hard enough without having to please someone else (they want to zero, you don't -- you want to buy a bottle of liquor and get sh#t faced and they want hike all night to make their first 30 mile day or whatever). You'll find more potential "partners" than you can shake a trekking pole at. The trick is to avoid them. - at least for maybe 500 miles or so - then maybe you will "know what's up" - even then don't get "married" to anyone on the trail. Trail divorces are ugly.

Malto
11-11-2011, 17:16
Not only will finding someone to hike with be easy once on the trail but I would NEVER arrange to hike with someone before hand that I didn't have extensive hiking experience beforehand. You will also find that small groups or pair form and breakup with new groups forming. Some folks hike with a group or pair, go on their own for a bit and come back together. On my thru I hiked with four other people, one at a time for the second half of the trip. My pace was a bit faster than the first three and after a couple of weeks we parted ways. Finally, the last 700 miles I met someone that wanted and could do the pace I was on and we hiked the rest of the trail. But there was no arrangement and both of us would have gone our separate ways if needed.

I ran into a bunch of folks coming out of the Hawk Mtn shelter (GA) in April of last year. They said that there was 48 people at that shelter and camped nearby that night. That gives you some perspective on how many people are out there during the peak season.

Serial 07
11-11-2011, 17:26
the only thing in this world you can control is YOU...pack your bag and head for springer april 1 and you'll be fine...there will be plenty of people to meet...

TrayllSnayll
11-21-2011, 04:39
Thank you.. that is exactly what I will do.

Badger2011
12-01-2011, 14:33
I would just like to reiterate what the others of this thread have already said, you will meet tons of people right away, esp if you're NOBOing and leaving in MAR-APRIL. People are eager to make friends. 99% of the fellow hikers you interact with, you will find, are awesome individuals. If you are interested in getting to know a few fellow hikers before taking off, I've created a "hiker marketplace (http://zrdavis.com/appalachian-trail/year-guides/appalachian-trail-2012/)" to allow 2012 thru-hikers to be able to get in touch with each other before leaving. Check it out of you're interested. And good luck!!!

George
12-01-2011, 16:31
When I did long sections in season, I hiked with various individuals/group for periods from hours to a week, I like hearing the stories of all the various folks. Nice to get the strong ties of a longer term companion but IMO it comes at the price of giving up hearing about such a wide variety of backgrounds/experiences. Could be the anonymous nature of the trail community but I find people are more open in hours when hiking than months of being coworkers.