PDA

View Full Version : Going Hammock

RoadApe
10-16-2011, 14:35
My wife and I are both side sleepers and on our last hike found the tent route very uncomfortable. I did't sleep more than an hour or so each night on the trail. We just bought the ENO Single nest and Pro Fly tarps and will be trying them on the AT this week. We did go out to the woods and test out the set up and laid around in them awhile.

Did a short video.... check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeA963f8iuU

Raul Perez
10-16-2011, 16:03
Be warned it has been known for nylon straps to stretch especially when wet. Many issues noted with the slap straps with regards to stretching. Polyester is a better material for straps as it doesn't stretch that much.

When you and your wife become more comfortable with hammocks check out lighter and smaller tarps... OES MacCat Deluxe and the Warbonnet Edge are good ones. Make sure you properly insulate your hammocks to keep your backs warm. Have fun out there!

BigHodag
10-23-2011, 14:30
Nice video. Saw in the comments you suffered frozen butt syndrome. I use a solid foam pad in my hammock and use my sleeping bag as a top quilt. I also use SlapStraps with no problems. After rigging, I stretch the straps by sitting on the hammock and then move one notch higher.

Tinker
10-23-2011, 21:53
If you're going to use foam inside the hammock as insulation (the least expensive option), carry an extra 1/2 length to lay crossways underneath the lengthwise pad. This will insulate your shoulders and upper arms, a spot that was constantly cold in my case when I first experimented with insulation. I now thread my hammock through a sleeping bag and have insulation all around me. Note that if (when) you begin to experiment with underquilts, top quilts, etc. you will need the insulation underneath you snugged up to the bottom of the hammock or else it will just serve to keep the cold air in the gap cold. I am a side sleeper and find that if I sleep on an angle and have my head over the edge of the hammock I get the best sleep possible. That's one reason I gave up my Hennessy. I had to sleep completely wrapped up by it and couldn't see out unless I sat up, and cool air (I know, you aren't thinking much about that right now) would go right over me rather than cooling me. I much prefer a simple hammock with a bug net around the whole thing.
Enjoy your new sleeping experience.

SouthMark
10-23-2011, 22:26
RoadApe, check out Just Jeff's Hammock Camping site. It will answer many, many questions you may have plus give you ideas you may have never thought of.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

RoadApe
10-31-2011, 21:33
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Learning a lot about hammocks and quickly.

:)

Rain Man
10-31-2011, 21:43

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2011, 23:29
Rainman, please do not take this the wrong way! Your ................is golden.....

Wise Old Owl
11-03-2011, 19:28
I often wonder why an owl has the last say --- It was not to be.

kayak karl
11-03-2011, 19:36
.................................................. .........:)

kayak karl
11-03-2011, 19:46
the learning curve to hammocking is long compared to tent camping. even all the youtube stuff and blogs from the self proclaimed experts will not help. most of them don't have a clue.
that said, get out there, have fun, enjoy and learn. i will never regert going to hammocking back in '07. even my dog jumps in it now. at my age it's been great on my back.

TY
KK&K