PDA

View Full Version : Big Firescald Knob

Gunslinger
10-16-2011, 17:01
I have and upcoming section hike that includes Big Firescald Knob. Everyone I ran into before we finished our last section said it was a slow going 1.5 mile rock crawl, and to take the bypass if weather is bad. We will be reaching that section in the afternoon of our first day. Bypassing them is not an option, we don't want to skip it. Trying to plan out how far we can go in the few days we have to hike, so just wondering if someone familiar with the area can give us some insight to how strenuous and slow going this section really is so we can decide whether to camp prior to them, or push on to Jerry Cabin before dark. Thanks.

Jim Obermeyer
10-16-2011, 17:41
It's really not that bad unless your already plum tuckered out. Where are you starting from? When you get over the Knob you have about 1 1/2 to 2 miles to Jerry's Cabin. Take the blue blaze only if it's raining real hard and the wind is blowing with heavy gusts. Enjoy!

SouthMark
10-16-2011, 17:49
We just did that section in June. It was time consuming but not that bad but I certainly would not want to do it in a lightning storm. The views are well worth it IMHO. I'm 64 so you should not have any problem what so ever.

Chaco Taco
10-16-2011, 17:51
I have and upcoming section hike that includes Big Firescald Knob. Everyone I ran into before we finished our last section said it was a slow going 1.5 mile rock crawl, and to take the bypass if weather is bad. We will be reaching that section in the afternoon of our first day. Bypassing them is not an option, we don't want to skip it. Trying to plan out how far we can go in the few days we have to hike, so just wondering if someone familiar with the area can give us some insight to how strenuous and slow going this section really is so we can decide whether to camp prior to them, or push on to Jerry Cabin before dark. Thanks.

Wow really? Thats probably one of the best parts of that section. Its a ridgerun. I did it in a foot of snow and the only thing that made it hard then was the blowdowns. Its a beautiful stretch. Have done it a half dozen times and its sooo sweet. Its a far cry from a rock crawl. The only reason it ever took me so long is the views and stoping to take pictures.

Gunslinger
10-16-2011, 18:20
Thanks for the info everyone

Tennessee Viking
10-16-2011, 21:18
Cleaner and 10-K are probably the expert locals.

IMO, don't skip it. I did a day hike of it. It was fun. The views from the cliffs, ridgetop meadows, and the rocks are amazing.I have to give a hand at the Konnarock and CMC crews for all that rock work. There some steel rod ladder steps and some minor rock scrambling but its really not that bad.

You might want to stop by Hemlock Hollows, if its open, for some burgers.

If you are able to push it, camp at the gravesites. Its always a fun night there.

Cookerhiker
10-16-2011, 21:28
I hiked over it on a blustery day with rain sprinkles and enjoyed it as noted in my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=96219)for that day. The only problem was the strong winds blew my rain cover off the pack. I watched it sail down the slope like a parachute. No way I could retrieve it.

Chaco Taco
10-16-2011, 22:09
Cleaner and 10-K are probably the expert locals.

IMO, don't skip it. I did a day hike of it. It was fun. The views from the cliffs, ridgetop meadows, and the rocks are amazing.I have to give a hand at the Konnarock and CMC crews for all that rock work. There some steel rod ladders and some minor rock scrambling but its really not that bad.

You might want to stop by Hemlock Hollows, if its open, for some burgers.

If you are able to push it, camp at the gravesites. Its always a fun night there.

thought camping there was frowned upon

Gunslinger
10-16-2011, 22:54
Where are the gravesites? That would be an interesting place to camp.

Tennessee Viking
10-17-2011, 08:21
thought camping there was frowned uponI have never heard of any camping restrictions around the Shelton gravesites. I know Konnarock and CMC are re-locating the trail to add Rocky Fork to the trail, and get the trail away from the old road and steep grade.

doritotex
10-17-2011, 08:38
The grave sites are about 4 miles north of Jerry's Cabin. It is not like a modern day graveyard, and I've never heard of any camping restrictions. I've seen people camping there. Firescald Knob is not hard, it just will slow you down. I wouldn't take it if their was a severe thunderstorm or raging blizzard! It's not as bad as you think!!

gearfreak
10-17-2011, 08:56
I hiked through here this time last year. It's about a one mile stretch that will slow you down but I wouldn't consider it a "rock scramble". Lot's of ups and downs on stone steps, no ladders of any kind at that time. I don't recall having to use my hands at all. The views are worth the effort, but in very high winds I might consider the foul weather bypass. I'd already be hunkered down somewhere if there were lightning.