PDA

View Full Version : Best Road Route to Bly Gap

AbeHikes
02-27-2005, 18:31
I'm considering a GA-only SOBO in the late summer or fall. Naturally, I want to get as close to Bly Gap and the gnarly tree as possible without burning excess calories hiking to it. What's the best car drop-off point for this location? Thanks in advance.

Hikerhead
02-27-2005, 18:46
Start at Deep Gap, NC.

AbeHikes
02-27-2005, 18:54
Deep Gap, NC... over near Boone off of 421 and 221?

:confused:

Hikerhead
02-27-2005, 18:59
:D No...Just past Franklin NC and then up past Standing Ending campground.
There's more than one Deep Gap, does NC have two? Possibly...

AbeHikes
02-27-2005, 19:02
Ok. Thought you were messing with me.

Deep Gap, NC according to Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=deep+gap&state=nc&zipcode=)

Thanks.

Mother Nature
02-27-2005, 20:02
You may want to consider driving to Blue Ridge Gap. It is only 3.1 miles to Bly from there. Most guide books suggest the drive there is terrible but they have recently reworked the road and it is not a bad drive. The dirt road was recently regraded and if you are driving something larger than a VW bug you should have no problem. I drive this road about once every two months to do trail maintanence.

Directions: Take Hwy 76 toward Hiawassee from Dicks Creek Gap. Turn right onto Upper HighTower Road. When the road comes to a "T" intersection, go left (still Upper Hightower). The road narrows and avoid all left turns. Basically stay on the same road and keep going up. It will become dirt and wanders around going uphill until you come to the AT crossing at the top of a ridge.

Hope this helps.

Mother Nature

halibut15
02-27-2005, 20:03
Here's the Deep Gap near Bly Gap. It's not too easy to tell...just a small gravel road with a basically nonexistant sign on the left coming from Franklin. It's 7 miles (???) up the road to the parking area. I think the FS Road # is 71. There's some good off-AT hiking up there. Kinda easy to get lost though....:-?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=35.03944&lon=-83.55278

orangebug
02-27-2005, 20:49
Also, the Deep Gap road is closed, and may stay closed for awhile due to hurricane damage last September.

The easiest way may be to get a ride into Standing Indian State Park (closed also for the season) and walk up the Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap and thence down to Amicalola. Any shuttler in the area will be able to get you to these spots.

Yet another choice is to find the Chunky Gal trail as it crosses US 64 and walk up it to the AT, where it intersects just south of Deep Gap.

By now, you ought to be getting the message that an extra 8 mile loop from Dicks Creek Gap is the easiest way to complete a GA section.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 21:03
Mother Nature has the best info. Go with it.

Singletrack
02-28-2005, 14:45
I don' know if I would park my car and leave it at Blue Ridge Gap. Their is no parking lot per se. But rather than park it right at the Trail, you might want to park on the side of the road, about 100 yards, just before the gap. Better yet, park at Amicalola, get a shuttle to Blue Ridge Gap. Then your car is waiting when you finish. Just a thought.

Mother Nature
02-28-2005, 17:31
It is isolated at Blue Ridge but if you are hiking during prime hiking season there is a constant flow of foot traffic through that area. There is ample parking for 5-6 cars at the gap. You just have to get it off the road and there is plenty of pull-off space just a few yards before and at the gap itself. I have never had a problem or heard of anyone having a vandalism parking there. Not to say that if you leave it there for weeks at a time someone wouldn't break into your car.
You might negotiate with the folks at the nearby Blueberry Patch for a shuttle to the gap.

Mother Nature

AbeHikes
03-03-2005, 19:58
Just wanted to thank those that took the time to reply. Especially you, Mother Nature...

Ridge
03-07-2005, 08:52
Just start at hwy 76 (Dick's Cr Gap) hike in, hike back. also easier access to car, no worries about getting into/out Deep Gap.

Mother Nature
03-07-2005, 17:04
Deep Gap is south of Dicks Creek Gap and in the opposite direction. It costs $2. a day to park at Dicks Creek Gap and is 17.6 miles round trip. Blue Ridge Gap is free and is 6.1 miles round trip.

Mother Nature

Youngblood
03-07-2005, 17:29
He is talking about Deep Gap, NC (82.4 miles) that is the first trailhead north of Bly Gap (75.6 miles). Using Deep Gap as a trailhead makes a lot of sense if you have the time and are planning on hiking the next section north. (There was some discussions earlier as to whether the road has opened all the way to Deep Gap since last summers storms.) It is a fairly long shuttle from Georgia to use Deep Gap.

Youngblood

MDSHiker
03-07-2005, 17:37
Don't mess with Mother Nature !

Listen to her !

Youngblood
03-07-2005, 17:43
Don't mess with Mother Nature !

Listen to her !
You're right, you're right... because if you don't and hike on to Deep Gap, NC... Sharp Top and Courthouse Bald are going to mess with you.

Mother Nature
03-07-2005, 22:06
There are just too many Deep Gaps and Low Gaps and things too close by each other...:jump :jump :jump

Leaving Bly Gap heading north then finding Courthouse Bald will rip you up HAHAHAaaa

Mother Nature

AbeHikes
03-09-2005, 15:06
Learning more with every post... Thanks, all. Going to keep in touch, Mother Nature.

Hyway
03-17-2005, 10:31
Is there a daily charge to park at Amicalola? And is it safe to park your vehicle in the upper lots for 10 days?

AbeHikes
03-17-2005, 15:41
I believe it's only a one-time charge no matter who long you leave it at ASP. You just need to get signed in at the ranger station/visitor's center so that they can connect the dots that you're out there.

Are you asking about the upper lots at the park or GA trailheads?

Hikerhead
03-17-2005, 21:15
Is there a daily charge to park at Amicalola? And is it safe to park your vehicle in the upper lots for 10 days?

I couldn't think of a safer place. But the Rangers may require you to park in the lower lot. I'm sure someone on here knows more about this than me.

Even the lower lot would be about as safe as it gets.

AbeHikes
03-17-2005, 21:21
But the Rangers may require you to park in the lower lot.
The official park map even states that. It labels the lower lot as the one for "Appalachian Trail Parking".

SGT Rock
03-17-2005, 21:27

In the parking lot across from the visitor center you can park your car for $2. All you need show is the tag from paying the $2 entrance and a registration thing you get there. Make sure you sign that register there. Some of the cars had been there so long they had stuff growing around them when I was there.

Hyway
03-18-2005, 10:46
Thanks people. I know this will sound irresponsible, but my buddy and I are driving up from the coast after work next Thursday. We plan to just park at Amicalola and start hiking as far as we can go in the next 9-10 days. We'll figure out how to get back to the car while we are on the trail :0

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 10:48
damn..sounds liek somethin I would do...CALL OF THE WILD..
U most liekly wil live and have a GREAT time..

Hyway
03-18-2005, 11:04
"most likely"

Thats good enough odds for me.

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 11:10
us hillbillies say most liekly...

jus liek the guy I work with up in AK..as he was going out on a dog training run across some AK wilderness

I asked DAVE "do U have Health insurance policy"

Dave "NO"

I say "what would U do if U had a heart attack"

dave says "do U really think they would find me"

most liekly NOT...hahahaha