PDA

View Full Version : mice deterrent/deflection systems

atmilkman
10-17-2011, 12:04
Looking for pictures or diagrams of different systems that you use that you can pack that you have found effective.
P.S. I've been on here long enough and am thick skinned enough that I can take the comical suggestions without any hard feelings so have at that too. But, a few serious ones will definitely be appreciated. I'm gonna hang my food and trash, just hoping to stop/minimize critter damage to the pack.

BobTheBuilder
10-17-2011, 12:08
Take some paracord and hang your whole pack.

Moose2001
10-17-2011, 12:08
Bear bag it or use the mouse lines in the shelter. Not that hard or complicated.

Sarcasm the elf
10-17-2011, 12:30
Make sure all pack closures are fully opened once you are in camp, that way they can get to the candy bar you forgot about without destroying your pack. I usually avoid shelters when possible, even if I am camping a hundred feet away, it seems to make a difference. On shorter trips I also usually have a dog with me that sleeps in the tent, this basically elimates any bear or mouse issue.

Spokes
10-17-2011, 13:41
I met a teacher section hiker in New Hampshire that carried his own mouse baffle setup- a simple tuna can, stick, and cord system so he didn't have to worry about not finding one in a shelter.

Hosaphone
10-17-2011, 13:49
Ugh, I'm so paranoid about mice chewing holes in my pack/tent/bag. Fortunately the shelters up here tend not to be as mousy as I hear the ones down south are.

Spokes
10-17-2011, 13:54
Yep. I had a mouse steal an earplug right out of my ear in the Roaring Fork Shelter in 2009. Guess it needed a pillow for its den...... darn varmint!

Ironbelly
10-17-2011, 13:55
Take a cotton ball, old piece of rag etc, soak it in coyote urine (you can buy this tons of places) and tie it on the outside of your pack or food bag etc. You will have zero rodent problems. I keep my piece of rag in a ziploc in my food bag and then attach it to the outside of my foodbag in camp. I never hang my food and just let it sit out.

BobTheBuilder
10-17-2011, 14:28
Take a cotton ball, old piece of rag etc, soak it in coyote urine (you can buy this tons of places) and tie it on the outside of your pack or food bag etc. You will have zero rodent problems. I keep my piece of rag in a ziploc in my food bag and then attach it to the outside of my foodbag in camp. I never hang my food and just let it sit out.

So many questions spring to mind...
Does coyote urine attract other coyotes?
Do you need to re-apply nightly?
How do they collect it?
What could you keep away with grizzly urine?
Or lion urine?

Spokes
10-17-2011, 14:42
Scientists found the reason why predator urine works revolves around a group of olfactory receptors called trace amine-associated receptors (TAARs) and particularly one specific molecule, called 2-phenylethylamine.

Discover Magazine has a fascinating article on the subject HERE (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/06/23/chemical-in-predator-pee-scares-the-pee-out-of-rodents/).

It make perfect sense now.

elray
10-17-2011, 14:55
This one has worked for me in the past, just a thought.

WingedMonkey
10-17-2011, 15:05

Dogs have a habit of marking over other urine.

Elder
10-17-2011, 15:06
This one has worked for me in the past, just a thought.
I believe the recipes for chipmush (harvested by the flat rock method) would apply for flouse (flat/mouse).

Blissful
10-17-2011, 15:17
Don't stay in shelters. 14149

rsmout
10-17-2011, 15:22
Just to do something different, I used a scratched up CD-ROM disc instead of a tuna can. I glued a small piece of hard vinyl to the disc to cover the big hole, drilled a smaller hole in the middle, ran the cord through the hole, and knotted both sides to keep the disc in place. The disc is wider than a tuna can and perhaps the mouse/rat will flip out when it sees its reflection! The rig weighs about the same as the tuna can rig, maybe a few grams less. But it makes for good conversation.

burger
10-17-2011, 16:00
How about taking a deep breath and just dealing with the fact that mice are out there? Absolute worst-case scenario you get a small hole in your pack and/or some food gets chewed on. I can't believe how paranoid about mice some hikers are. Lighten up, folks.

(Example: I met a hiker on my latest section who was so scared of mice that he carried a cat with him and set it loose at night to catch mice. Not only is this illegal on much of the trail, but it's also incredibly lame! If you're that scared of mice, stay home. Seriously.)

atmilkman
10-17-2011, 16:16
Just to do something different, I used a scratched up CD-ROM disc instead of a tuna can. I glued a small piece of hard vinyl to the disc to cover the big hole, drilled a smaller hole in the middle, ran the cord through the hole, and knotted both sides to keep the disc in place. The disc is wider than a tuna can and perhaps the mouse/rat will flip out when it sees its reflection! The rig weighs about the same as the tuna can rig, maybe a few grams less. But it makes for good conversation.
Best idea yet. Just looking for alternative methods to the traditional. This ones gonna get a try.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2011, 16:17
Take some paracord and hang your whole pack.

The problem with doing that is mice can jump an amazing distance and your pack gives them a large surface area to hit. An obsticale (tuna can, soda bottle, old CD) around a cord above a relatively small diameter stuff sack works most of the time.

Hosaphone
10-17-2011, 17:21
(Example: I met a hiker on my latest section who was so scared of mice that he carried a cat with him and set it loose at night to catch mice. Not only is this illegal on much of the trail, but it's also incredibly lame! If you're that scared of mice, stay home. Seriously.)

I bet you have a pet mouse.

Moose2001
10-17-2011, 18:06
Ugh, I'm so paranoid about mice chewing holes in my pack/tent/bag. Fortunately the shelters up here tend not to be as mousy as I hear the ones down south are.

The mice are looking for food. As long as you don't have food in your pack/tent/bag, they shouldn't bother any of the three. Mice are just something you have to get used to. Not that big of a deal. If they bother you, sleep in your tent with all your food hung. You'll be fine.

daddytwosticks
10-17-2011, 19:13
Get yourself an Ursak Minor (rodent-resitant food bag) and be done with the mental gymnastics. Mine weighs 2.7 ounces. I don't have to worry about rodents getting in my food anymore. :)

Mr. Bumpy
10-17-2011, 19:17
For some reason all I can think about is that movie from the 70's called "Ben."

rsmout
10-17-2011, 21:03

And "Willard".

leaftye
10-18-2011, 00:00
Don't get food scents on your pack. Put your food in an Opsack, don't get food scents on its outside, and put it in an Ursack placed away from your pack. This way you don't need to further protect your pack, mice have no reason to visit your food, and won't get anything if they try. And I do mean any Ursack. The kevlar version might be better suited for mice, but the regular version is also pretty difficult for them to get into.

Tinker
10-18-2011, 00:19
I thought of making a food storage bag from stainless steel mesh (like window screen) - never got around to it. I thought of drilling a hole in the middle of a Frisbee and using a string and stick like the tuna can baffle, never got around to that, either. I thought about and actually made a mouse-proof food storage container from a metal coffee can with the bottom of another can used under the plastic top as a chew-proof barrier - but I never bothered to use it. I just put anything with a scent in it in my food bag (which is the right diameter and three times the height of my cookset, so I just insert the cookset and put my food on top) and hang my bag from a tree branch or, if I'm near a shelter, from a string under a mouse baffle which I have encountered at all but one shelter I've ever camped near or, when the mood strikes me, in (yes I admit to it :)).

garlic08
10-18-2011, 09:56
Don't stay in shelters.

Ditto this. I didn't see, hear, or have to deal with a single mouse on the AT.

max patch
10-18-2011, 10:52
Exactly. Best mouse "deterrent system" is to not sleep where the mouse live.

Jim Adams
10-19-2011, 09:01
How about taking a deep breath and just dealing with the fact that mice are out there? Absolute worst-case scenario you get a small hole in your pack and/or some food gets chewed on. I can't believe how paranoid about mice some hikers are. Lighten up, folks.

The only place a cat is illegal on the AT is in the Smokies and Baxter.
I don't mind mice much because as long as you remove your food from your pack at night they will leave your pack alone.
My cat wasn't along for the trip because of mice but he was a great hiking companion...and I didn't have a mouse problem simply because he WAS there with me....the mice consumption also cut down on the amount of cat food that I had to carry with me.

geek

Hosaphone
10-19-2011, 12:02
the mice consumption also cut down on the amount of cat food that I had to carry with me.

The mice recycle the food scraps left behind by careless hikers, and you recycle the mice! How green of you!

SunnyWalker
11-29-2011, 22:47
Crossman sell some really neat bb pistols that are charged by CO2. They can be loaded with up to 18 bbs. They will fire as fast as you can pull the trigr. My dream is to be in a shelter at night during the summer. Flip on a flashlight and have this pistol in hand. Ha, ha, what fun! (I know, I know, no hunting, etc., etc., blah, blah...).

rocketsocks
11-30-2011, 00:16
put some tuna in your buddy's bag:D

Slo-go'en
11-30-2011, 02:18
put some tuna in your buddy's bag:D

Mice don't go much for fish or meat, they like nuts and grains. Bears on the other hand are less picky eaters...

mgeiger
11-30-2011, 12:15
A sliver of Irish Spring original scented soap in every compartment. Pretty sure it repels women too though.

Kookork
11-30-2011, 18:53

Which part is illegal? Carying a cat or leting the cat stary in shelter or cat catchig mouse?

So you are happier to share the shelter with mice than cats?

Kookork
11-30-2011, 18:55
Yep. I had a mouse steal an earplug right out of my ear in the Roaring Fork Shelter in 2009. Guess it needed a pillow for its den...... darn varmint!

Just a tiny possiblity that the mouse was sick and tired of snorring folks in shelter and needed earplug.!!!

Kookork
11-30-2011, 19:02

It is not about being scared . it is mostly uncontrollable fear . some have this issue with insects some with mice some with biggr animals some with bats.
It is not easy to controle and certainly I like to see people come to hiking even if they bring their cat or they are fearfull of things. Staying home because of mice is not a good thing IMO.

Sandy of PA
11-30-2011, 19:04
No mice get inside my Bearicade cannister, or bears etc. Never hit myself with a rock trying to bear bag either. Always have a clean place to sit too!

Kookork
11-30-2011, 19:05
The problem with doing that is mice can jump an amazing distance and your pack gives them a large surface area to hit. An obsticale (tuna can, soda bottle, old CD) around a cord above a relatively small diameter stuff sack works most of the time.

Nope , Old Cds are not accepted. Mice of 2011 need a CD of 2009 or later.

July
11-30-2011, 20:14
Had a little ear wax to chink with to boot!

BreakWind
11-30-2011, 21:52
learn how and where to camp

atmilkman
11-30-2011, 22:44
learn how and where to camp
Thank You so much for the excellent advice! Can you reccomend a demo video I could watch to learn these teniques?

Mike2012
11-30-2011, 22:48
I ordered some Mouse Spray just to be safe.

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2011, 23:11
OMG - there is no such thing as mouse spray,

lets inject the little buggers with injections of Contraception to prevent mouse overpopulation - contrary to corporate America, Disney who has a mouse as a corporate logo was offended by this idea and suggested shipping them to Mexico to prevent overpopulation. Forget the idea of using snap traps, poisons, or random acts of violence such as smacking them with the bottom of your boot...

Recently radical folks decided that we need to use a injection cocktail and put the little vermin to sleep with alcohol, and two other undisclosed medicines.

Owls who are good freinds of mine were OK with the alcohol but found the other medicines were beyond pickling and unnecessary. - they did not want the unnecessary additives.

So there you have it ship the Mice to Mexico - or feed them Apple Cider Vinegar straight from the bottle.

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2011, 23:17
No - do not suggest my posts are as bad as Matty's - I am just very board right now. But I do see the connection

Stats 2012
11-30-2011, 23:20
For some reason all I can think about is that movie from the 70's called "Ben."I'm thinking if the excellent movie "Never Cry Wolf". The protagonist took to eating the mice who invaded his camp.

atmilkman
11-30-2011, 23:22
No - do not suggest my posts are as bad as Matty's - I am just very board right now. But I do see the connection
Hey WOW I wasn't even gonna ask (lol) By the way where is Matty? Did you catch my Matty"s in my post above?

Wise Old Owl
11-30-2011, 23:31
No idea - he stopped posting three months ago.

Echraide
12-01-2011, 01:41

And "Willard".

Those were rats, not mice.

I bearbag my food. I can't remember mice chewing into anything I brought with me into a shelter except my 3L Platypus. I don't know what they found so delicious about it but it made me really, really glad I carry a second water bladder with me as they chewed right through that one.

Tipi Walter
12-01-2011, 09:48
QUESTION
What if any are the Leave No Trace principles regarding killing mice in the backcountry??? Is it "legal"?

The Weasel
12-03-2011, 02:17
It's not legal in National Parks, most State Parks, and many other public lands, where trapping/killing of animals is either forbidden or permitted only if the animal is specifically identified in state laws as a permitted kill. The same can be true on private lands.

TW