PDA

View Full Version : Montrail customer service and products

Elger
10-17-2011, 13:25
I have not visited the forum in a long time so I will apologize in advance if this has been a topic before. I consider this as a consumer alert to my fellow hikers.

I bought a pair of Montrail Hardrocks (shoes) about a year ago. I was on the trail with them about 5 trips of 4 days each, i.e. 20 days. One shoe lost a hunk of the sole. Perfectly normal, even careful use while on the trail. I took them to the retailer who sent them to Montrail. I was told by Montrail they would not repair them or replace them. I take from this that Montrail intentionally builds these shoes to be used not more than 20 days since they apparently do not plan to make good on a shoe so poorly constructed that it falls apart after 20 uses.

There are lots of great companies out there and lots of great hiking shoes. Try one of them, and avoid Montrail at all costs if a company making quality products and backing its products and providing minimal customer service is of importance to you.

SawnieRobertson
10-17-2011, 14:32
You make a very good point. Montrail was sold to another company, according to Winton. How to interpret what you experienced doubtlessly depends on when your problem occurred.--Kinnickinic

WingedMonkey
10-17-2011, 15:21
Montrial is owned by Columbia Sportswear. I've never had a problem with Columbia. One of those times where shopping with REI is worth it.
Did Montrail tell you that were not going to replace or did the retailer you bought them from say that? Then again with running shoes I'm not sure what any of them consider "normal" wear.