PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

Tinker
10-17-2011, 13:42
I just received a new pc and am able to access the website again. Fwiw: I've had my troubles physically (bad knee and general arthritis pain) this past year and the only longish hike I've done is a two day 12 miler from Rte. 325 into Duncannon in Feb.
I'm planning on doing some mileage in Pa. next week (hopefully). If anyone's available to shuttle between Duncannon and points north to the DWG please drop me a pm here.
Thanks. Looking forward to wasting time here again!!! ;)

daddytwosticks
10-17-2011, 19:19
Welcome back, Tinker...:)

johnnybgood
10-17-2011, 19:24
You and your wealth of knowledge were missed my friend . Welcolme back indeed !

XCskiNYC
10-17-2011, 19:50
Welcome back

nox
10-17-2011, 20:01
welcome back Tinker! What days are you looking to shuttle? I might be able to help you out thursday if you need a ride

nitewalker
10-17-2011, 20:43
welcome back, tinker.:D

Cookerhiker
10-17-2011, 20:43
Good to hear from you again and sorry about your physical issues. You're too young!

Tinker
10-17-2011, 22:50
Good to hear from you again and sorry about your physical issues. You're too young!

Not young enough, I guess. Well I can still move, just not as fast and it hurts more. I'm on blood pressure medication for the first time in my life, too (job too sedentary, maybe?). Well I don't have to worry about the job - I've been laid off. I needed a vacation anyhow. No money sort of determines what I can do. Luckily hiking doesn't cost much.

Tinker
10-17-2011, 22:54
welcome back Tinker! What days are you looking to shuttle? I might be able to help you out thursday if you need a ride

I'm probably going to head down to Pa. on Sunday after church to spend the night at the Doyle. I don't know what Trail Angel Mary is doing next week, but I'll try to catch a shuttle with her to Rte. 325 and hike north as far as I can. I haven't thought too hard about how many days I'll be able to walk, but Thursday night might be a good time to shuttle back south to the Doyle.
I'll get back to you soon.

Tinker
10-17-2011, 22:57
Thanks for a warm welcome reception. It's been a while. My old browser wasn't working with the "new" Whiteblaze. I'd log in only to be cut off a couple of minutes later. My new pc came from my mom who didn't use it enough to warrant paying Cox for the internet privileges.
She's 88 years young!

Sierra Echo
10-17-2011, 22:59
welcome back tinker! we missed you :)

Papa D
10-18-2011, 00:18
Hey Tinker - glad you're back - missed your posts!

Tinker
10-18-2011, 00:21
Thanks again. :)

Pedaling Fool
10-18-2011, 14:08
Not young enough, I guess. Well I can still move, just not as fast and it hurts more. I'm on blood pressure medication for the first time in my life, too (job too sedentary, maybe?)...I know my advice on these matters of health usually backfire and piss people off, but I keep posting them because I'm stupid that way -- sorry, but here is goes.

Maybe you do, but if you don't I recommend you watch the Biggest Loser on NBC (in my area it's every tuesday from 8-10pm) http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/. There are tons of examples every season where people that participate on that show end up throwing out pills (many different types), including HBP medication. Another thing I like about the show is that they don't focus on one type of exercise, you just can't do one type to maintain a strong body as you age. That's why you'll see a lot of resistance training, not just cardio on that show.

Seems like everyone focuses on cardio when they decide to start up an exercise program because they need to "get in shape". Not true, weightlifting is very important for keeping the skeletal system strong, including those very problematic joints. I don't believe there is one exercise program to keep the body strong, but if someone put a gun to my head and name on I'd say weightlifting, of course in all its various forms; you can even get a damn good cardio workout with weights.

I know many cyclists, hikers and runners with knee problems, including me. The difference is that they pop OTC drugs like candy, they go way above the recommended dosage on the label. I don't use the stuff at all; when my knee starts hurting I build it up in the gym and the pain goes away. Maybe one day I'll have to resort to meds, but at 47 I'm still going strong and I reguarly run around here.

Tinker
10-18-2011, 23:00
I've been doing an indoor job for the past 4 years (standing, mostly, but not moving much). Before that I did fall cleanups as a landscaper on a regular basis and was in much better shape than I am now.
I don't take any pills except for the prescribed blood pressure medication and a daily multivitamin. I've pretty much stopped taking NSAIDS altogether due to stomach problems.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll get back on the bicycle now that I'm laid off. I seem to spend an awful lot of time doing favors for friends when I'm not actively job hunting. My former employer will probably hire me back in the spring if I'm still available.

Blissful
10-18-2011, 23:03
Glad to have you back.

Tinker
10-18-2011, 23:32
Glad to have you back.
Thanks.
It's good to be back.
God bless you.

nitewalker
10-19-2011, 08:58
john, you are totally correct on this. great advice! i have been telling people about the biggest loser for several years now. how people go on the show with multiple medical issues that stem from obesity. after weeks of training and eating rite most of the contestants shed their meds. it may not work for all but it surely works for most.

I know my advice on these matters of health usually backfire and piss people off, but I keep posting them because I'm stupid that way -- sorry, but here is goes.

Maybe you do, but if you don't I recommend you watch the Biggest Loser on NBC (in my area it's every tuesday from 8-10pm) http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/. There are tons of examples every season where people that participate on that show end up throwing out pills (many different types), including HBP medication. Another thing I like about the show is that they don't focus on one type of exercise, you just can't do one type to maintain a strong body as you age. That's why you'll see a lot of resistance training, not just cardio on that show.

Seems like everyone focuses on cardio when they decide to start up an exercise program because they need to "get in shape". Not true, weightlifting is very important for keeping the skeletal system strong, including those very problematic joints. I don't believe there is one exercise program to keep the body strong, but if someone put a gun to my head and name on I'd say weightlifting, of course in all its various forms; you can even get a damn good cardio workout with weights.

I know many cyclists, hikers and runners with knee problems, including me. The difference is that they pop OTC drugs like candy, they go way above the recommended dosage on the label. I don't use the stuff at all; when my knee starts hurting I build it up in the gym and the pain goes away. Maybe one day I'll have to resort to meds, but at 47 I'm still going strong and I reguarly run around here.

Tinker
10-19-2011, 15:19
No hike for me next week. :(

My wife firmly reminded me of our finances, and I don't want to put another trip on plastic (we're currently taking a course on money management called Financial Peace by
Dave Ramsey, and cards are a big no-no - that's why I'm in the mess I'm in now). We'll see what happens in the not-too-distant future as far as hiking the AT goes, but for now I'll have to keep it short and local.
Thanks to those who offered to help shuttle me. Next time I'll try to give some advance notice and maybe I can meet up with some of you nice folks at (I mean near ;) ) a shelter along the way.

Massachusetts, anyone ?? :)