PDA

View Full Version : Electrolyte Tabs: Nuun

Jason762
10-17-2011, 14:51
I've been using the Nuun electroylite tabs for several years now. Much better than Gatoraide with it's sugary, diarrhea-causing slush. I think it tastes better, nice and light.

What are your favorite flavors?

How is the "natural nuun"? Is it worth the price over the original nuun?

Also, over the weekend my father and I were talking about trying to get a case of tabs at a discount and splitting it. Where can I find a bunch of tabs below MSRP without being a "dealer"?

-Jason

Spokes
10-17-2011, 15:10
Do a Google search under the "shopping tab" and start comparing prices. For example, an 8 pack (http://www.amazon.com/Electrolyte-Enhanced-Orange-16-Ounce-12-Count/dp/B004Z9VTW0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1318879115&sr=8-5) on Amazon is going for about $38

You could always see if a local running store will order you a box at a discount. You'll know the online pricing already from your previous search enabling you to get the best price. Offer to pay up front to show them you won't renig.

scope
10-17-2011, 15:22
I gobbled up the GU Peach Tea flavor recently at 50% off. Love the stuff. Also have some Hammer grapefruit that is good. I've not yet bought any at full price, not sure I would.

Not as convenient as Propel powder, but superior nutrition and taste. I don't know about Gatorade being diarea-inducing. I used that stuff for years playing sports in the southern heat with no issue.

daddytwosticks
10-17-2011, 19:18
I like the diarreha-causing slush! I do also like Nuun, but wouldn't that cause the squirts if consumed in excess due to the type of sweetener used? (alcohol based) :}

dla
10-18-2011, 13:43
Not as interesting, not endorsed by some ultra-athlete, but they work and are cheap - ThermaTabs. They are what I use when I'm doing the miles and sweating like a pig. Works for me.

scope
10-18-2011, 13:52
Not as interesting, not endorsed by some ultra-athlete, but they work and are cheap - ThermaTabs. They are what I use when I'm doing the miles and sweating like a pig. Works for me.

Thermotabs? Salt tablets? Didn't know anything about them, just looked them up, and yes, seems like a good option... but, what do they taste like?

max patch
10-18-2011, 15:48
The daily, regular use of "salt tablets" on the a.t. ended maybe 1970 or so.

There is more than enough sodium in todays processed foods that most eat while hiking that supplemental salt isn't necessary.

I think you'll find that plain water is all you need.

Spokes
10-18-2011, 15:50
1+ on what max patch said.

Cookerhiker
10-18-2011, 18:26
Using "just water" on a hot-weather section hike in '05, I overhydrated because I didn't take in sufficient minerals with all the water I was drinking to avoid dehydration. Consequently, I bring electolyte mix from Emergenc (http://www.emergenc.com/index.php/products/specialty/electro-mix) on any hike of more than a few days including most recently my Colorado Trail thruhike.

Spokes
10-18-2011, 20:03
Excess hydration is one of the 10 mistakes endurance athletes make.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/1273/#bmb=1

Odd Man Out
10-18-2011, 22:43
Using "just water" on a hot-weather section hike in '05, I overhydrated because I didn't take in sufficient minerals with all the water I was drinking to avoid dehydration. Consequently, I bring electolyte mix from Emergenc (http://www.emergenc.com/index.php/products/specialty/electro-mix) on any hike of more than a few days including most recently my Colorado Trail thruhike.

Rehydration therapy mix has glucose. It is supposedly necessary to help the absorption of the electrolytes. But it seems most of the sport mixes (Propel, Emegenc, etc) are made with artificial sweeteners and thus miss out on this benefit. I have seen rehydration therapy powder for first aid sold in packets, but for what seems like an exorbitant price (considering it costs next to nothing to make). It's not like you need to avoid calories when hiking. Anyone know of an electrolyte mix with sugar?

Northern Lights
10-18-2011, 22:55
strawberry lemonade and tri berry are my favorites. But I usually carry a 3 or 4 different flavors just to mix things up. The lemon lime is good too.

Ladytrekker
10-18-2011, 23:12
I have an electrolyte imbalance (medically diagnosed) and have been looking for something to take hiking with me other than gatoraid or powder drink mix and have been thinking of trying a tablet. Looking for the best thing to use trying to follow this thread for ideas, glad someone opened it. What happens to me is I get that "hitting the wall" as I hear it is called and feel totally depleted when I can drink a bottle of gatoraid it picks me right up. But carrying powders and liquids creates volume would love feedback on the tablets. My adventure racing friends have recommended HEED, but I have only tried the powder.

hambone5126
10-19-2011, 00:00
I have an electrolyte imbalance (medically diagnosed) and have been looking for something to take hiking with me other than gatoraid or powder drink mix and have been thinking of trying a tablet. Looking for the best thing to use trying to follow this thread for ideas, glad someone opened it. What happens to me is I get that "hitting the wall" as I hear it is called and feel totally depleted when I can drink a bottle of gatoraid it picks me right up. But carrying powders and liquids creates volume would love feedback on the tablets. My adventure racing friends have recommended HEED, but I have only tried the powder.

try the hammer endurolyte pills. they are capsules filled with straight up electrolyes. potassium sodium magnesium and a few others. they arent a drink, and you swallow them just like you would any other pill. i work for an endurance cycling team and all the riders use them for race across america and other seriously long races where they cant drink any more mixed drinks and need plain water.

i dont use them regularly, i just have a few sample size packets that i keep in my med kit. they came in handy for my buddy when he was hitting the wall in a hike through the catskills in august.

back to nuun, thats the stuff i use when i want a drink mix. easy to carry and easy to partion out with the induvidual tabs.

dla
10-19-2011, 01:04
They taste terrible. You swallow them. Wash one or two down with a pint of water. I'm very serious that they work. I know first hand what can happen when you over-hydrate and deplete sodium - it isn't pretty. So I learned how to avoid the problem. What some folks don't realize is that although you do get plenty of sodium in your diet, you can lose it quickly. Not everyone is the same - some folks deplete (sweat, urination) faster than others. It is part of learning your limits. ThermoTabs are a way to stay ahead of the curve.

wwbriggs
10-19-2011, 04:57
I have started to carry drink/nutrient replacements made for long distance running. Accelerade is a great one. Other types of replacements are Equinox R4 and Champion Endurance which are recovery drinks that replace gels like GU in a powder drink form and give you a lot more during and after long hard trek. I just have a small lightweight plastic container/empty water bottle that I use to put into one of my drinking bottles and shake. Superior products to tabs and give you back energy by providing protein and other vital nutrients lost on longer endurance activities. Another option is sport jelly beans that replace both salts and sugars depleted by long duration endurance sports and are used by marathon runners as a light option in a small package.