PDA

View Full Version : belt and torso sizes question

birdygal
10-17-2011, 19:18
I am short 5 ft 2 in but overweight by 35 lbs, my husband wants to buy me a new pack for christmas, I really wanted to get a womans pack looking at the ospreys according to their size chart I need a small torso with an extra large hip something must be wrong with those numbers heck I only wear a size 12 its not like I am in the plus sizes I carry my weight everywhere even in my fingers the extra 35 lbs it is not all sitting on my hips I was never a small hip size according to their charts when I was pencil thin and you could count my ribs anyone have a pack suggestion I want something under 4 lbs and can carry at least close to 4000 cubic inches, my youth pack I use now is really too wide at the shoulder and is a tad bit to small it has a 3400 capacity, I can fit everything I need to carry but food

Blissful
10-17-2011, 19:23
Get fitted at a reputable outfitter (like at Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap) after you have all your gear. Your height does not translate to the type of pack you should have. My hubby has very short legs and a long torso - (like xl size). I am 5 6 1/2 and I take a small

doritotex
10-17-2011, 19:24
Does your area have an outfitters store? You should go to a store and have a knowledgble person measure you and give you advice. I have an osprey, and I love the way the hip belt fits. I researched online and I thought I knew about packs, but when I bought mine from an outfitter, I really learned that I didn't know much about the subject. I would go and have an expert measure and adjust a womans pack for you.

birdygal
10-17-2011, 20:01
We dont have an outfitter the closest one does not sell osprey or any of the lighter packs, He was also looking to purchase a used pack $250 is a bit too much for my DH to spend on my christmas gift, I have been unemployed for several years and he is retired on SSI

Blissful
10-18-2011, 09:46
If you're in Rocky Face from where I see on Google Maps, you could make a nice trip to Neel Gap and check out packs there.

birdygal
10-18-2011, 10:03
Thanks I will check them out when I get to finish my Georgia section Neels gap is where I will get back on the trail heading North just waiting for someone to go with me

sbhikes
10-18-2011, 11:22
I'm 5'3" and weigh around 150-160 and carry my weight evenly distributed all over, not just around my middle. I wear a size 6-8 though. I'm pretty sure I have a small Osprey Aura 65. No trouble with the waist belt at all.

Ladytrekker
10-18-2011, 11:29
I went to an outfitter and got my torso size. I am at 18" and use a medium Osprey pack. However, I purchased a ULA Circuit and love it so much lighter than the Ospreys. ULA now offers an "S" strap made especially for women, If you are around North Carolina the NOC outfitter in Gatlingburg carries that pack so you could try one. Ospreys are comfortable but really heavy I recently tried mine again and definitely went back to the ULA.

birdygal
10-18-2011, 14:28
I'm 5'3" and weigh around 150-160 and carry my weight evenly distributed all over, not just around my middle. I wear a size 6-8 though. I'm pretty sure I have a small Osprey Aura 65. No trouble with the waist belt at all.

does the belt have enough adjustment for an extra size or 2 around the hips that is the one I am looking at getting it is under 4lbs. It says it will carry 35-50lbs, I want something I can carry 10 days of food in and 2 days of water,

birdygal
10-18-2011, 15:12
I found an outfitter in chattanooga tn that has an aura gonna go try one out tomorrow

Sassafras Lass
10-19-2011, 00:54
birdygal - I'm selling my Gregory Jade 50 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?74655-FS-2011-Gregory-Jade-50-Short-in-Bluebird-Great-Condition&highlight=) - not a thing wrong with it, I just want to experiment with a frameless pack. I used it this spring from Springer Mt. - the Smokies, about 23 days. All in all only seen about 29 days use - clean - no modifications. Actually really, really like this pack but finances are tight here too and hubby says I need the $ from this one to buy a new one. I bought an Osprey Aura 50 originally, sold it to my MIL because the frame height was a bit too tall, peeking over my shoulders even though I'm medium-sized (?). My Jade 50 is a great fit, it's the Small (torso 16-18) with the adjustable hipbelt (adjust XS-Medium), I wear between sz 11-12 myself and it fits great in the hips on Medium, and even though my torso measured 18.5 this was a better fit than the Osprey Aura. Got 6 days of food, full water, and full gear in my pack just fine. Let me know!

Paisley1985
10-29-2011, 07:22
The Dueter Go Lite has a great waist belt and is very adjustable.

birdygal
10-29-2011, 10:55
I tried quite a few brands out at an outfitter, I liked the Gregory Jade 60 the best but decided to go with a golite pinacle, after my last hike of only 5.5 miles that took me 4 hours granted the terrain was rough I decided I am not going to carry 35 lbs but make myself carry no more than 25lbs , I have no appetite on the trail , only plan on doing sections plus I got my dear hubby a bigger pack to carry more and me less

TammyLynn
11-09-2011, 21:20
I'm in an interesting predicament size-wise as well. I'm 5'6" and my torso measured 27"! I always knew I had short legs, but goodness. So that puts me at an XL for torso size. The downside is, right now I'm weighing in at about 280, but you wouldn't know it to look at me, because I carry it pretty well. I wear a size 22, so trying to find a pack to fit my waist comfortably is proving to be an interesting endeavor, lol! Thankfully, I'm hoping to have lost a little bit more weight before the trail, but it's not going to be enough to make it easy. Any big girls out there have some suggestions?