PDA

View Full Version : Merino Wool VS Polartec Power Dry

Saffirre8
10-17-2011, 19:36
Merino Wool VS Polartec Power Dry, Which do you prefer and why?
I am a sectional hiker and also a hunter. I have under Armour cold gear right now 2.0 base layer, i also use UA cold gear smocks i wear alot. They are Ok, but sometimes i am still chilly after a hike. I am looking for a good base layer that will keep me warm and dry no matter how cold.
I am a sweater no matter what, its in my genes. so i need something that is wicking and will keep me warm. What do you perfer and why?

Papa D
10-17-2011, 19:43
I love my Icebreaker brand wool pieces - in real cold weather, I wear an Icebreaker mid weight as a bottom layer with a ArcTeryx Fleece over it. For 3 season backpacking, I'm afraid mid weight fleece (my favorite is a Marmot) is just a little lighter than the wool and typically gets the call.

Tinker
10-18-2011, 00:08
I've used polypropylene, polyester, and wool, and find that polypropylene holds the least moisture, but the most stink, wool holds the least stink, but the most moisture (but is also the most comfortable over a wide temperature range), and polyester is in the middle, and is generally very affordable. Very stretchy form fitting undergarments usually have higher quantities of spandex (nylon) which holds moisture and, to me, makes this type of garment less comfortable. Marino wool with a bit of nylon to keep it from getting baggy when wet is what I look for on sale (and seldom find it, especially this time of year).

ChinMusic
10-18-2011, 00:16
I wear merino wool as an upper base layer in winter, spring, summer, and fall. I am wearing an Icebreaker Hopper in my avatar pic.

Saffirre8
10-18-2011, 15:52
Icebreaker is expensive.... WOW
Does name really matter? As long as it 100% Merino Wool, i think you are paying for the name fellas.

ChinMusic
10-18-2011, 18:18
Does name really matter? As long as it 100% Merino Wool, i think you are paying for the name fellas.

I'm not sure if all merino wool is equal. I have been 100% pleased with Icebreaker's products. It is not worth it to me to experiment around. YMMV

lissersmith
10-18-2011, 18:24
I like the wool much better, no stink.

Papa D
10-18-2011, 21:08
Sorry - all wool is not the same - I will not buy chinese wool because they trash the environment and have no connection to the land - - check out the icebreaker website and understand the "high cost of low price" - you only need one for crying out loud - get a good one. Maybe the best way to "vote" is with your wallet so ---- I am OBVIOUSLY NOT paying for the name - I cut the tags out of my clothes - almost always - " the cheap man / woman spends the most!"
www.icebreaker.com

Northern Lights
10-18-2011, 21:53

My opinion is it does not matter. I have icebreaker that I was fortunate to find on sale, but I also have MEC(Canadian REI) brand and they are equal to me. I actually wear my MEC brand more than the icebreaker.

Jason762
10-18-2011, 22:25
Merino wool with a bit of nylon to keep it from getting baggy when wet is what I look for on sale (and seldom find it, especially this time of year).

What are some brands/manufactures who makes clothing like that?

Papa D
10-18-2011, 22:32
This is my favorite fleece: www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Mid_Layer-Sweaters/Apache-AR-Zip#Mid_Weight
AGAIN - Icebreaker brand wool is best for backpacking wool

Tinker
10-18-2011, 22:39
What are some brands/manufactures who makes clothing like that?

I was surprised to find out that my Terramar didn't have any nylon. It says "100% Merino wool". I bought it at Campmor. I guess it holds its shape without the nylon. Maybe I was thinking of my socks?

Blissful
10-18-2011, 23:00
I like merino wool for activities and for use in a sleeping bag.

Rooster_2010
10-21-2011, 10:18
I've owned a lot of Merino Wool clothing and would say IceBreaker and SmartWool are the best. I usually love MEC products but I've put holes in every piece of Merino clothing I've bought from them. Merino is really expensive but worth the money I think. All my hiking friends wear synthetics like Under Armour and they are constantly replacing them because they stink and wear out. When I thru-hiked we'd go 5-7 days without doing laundry, my wool clothing would smell better unwashed than their synthetics would straight out of the washing machine. I still wear all my Merino from that hike and most of theirs is sitting at the bottom of a landfill site.

ChinMusic
10-26-2011, 23:42
This is my experience with merino wool as well. I just cannot make the shirt stink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Nvhu4kgjk