PDA

View Full Version : Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam

lwood
10-17-2011, 23:26
Hiking from Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam this weekend (10/21-10/23). Anyone have any recent information that would make my hike more enjoyable? I've heard that bear activity is still pretty high at some shelters. I'm staying at Double Spring, Spence and campsite 113. also how is the water supply at these shelters? It looks this weekend's weather is going to be great so I'm looking forward to a great hike. If anyone has some tips or information I would greatly appreciate it.

Papa D
10-18-2011, 00:40
we have (finally) got a bit of rain, so you should have water I'd say you'll have a nice trip - bear activity might be something to think about - do your proper food hang - you'll be fine - have fun

HooKooDooKu
10-18-2011, 09:28
When I talked to a ranger back in September, he predicted the bear activity would subside as the acorns began to fall. Based on the Bear Closures listed at the GSMNP web site... he was right. Almost nothing is closed due to bear activity where as just a month ago there were still tons of Bear Closures. However, there are still lots of Bear Warnings (about half the shelters along your path are still listed with warnings).

Of course I'm not really saying anything you can't find out from the GSMNP web site: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

burger
10-18-2011, 11:15
I was just there last weekend. Water at Double Spring was fairly gross. We were warned of this and carried in water from the previous shelter.

Hopefully you'll have more views than we did--we were clouded in from Fontana to Newfound Gap.

pyroman53
10-18-2011, 12:16
Did this first week of Oct. Water was fine everywhere (at shelters). No bear problems. Have fun.

lissersmith
10-18-2011, 12:32
You should check with the GSMNP for shelter closures due to bear activity; I think there are several.

Kerosene
10-18-2011, 15:29
Two weeks ago I encountered a yearling bear at Double Springs after I had finished lunch and was treating water from the slow, but flowing, piped spring. He(?) wasn't interesting in leaving, so I left. Water at Russell was supposed to be a puddle. I did find water 50 yards downstream from the pipe at Ekaneetlee Gap (about 1.7 miles south of Mollies Ridge Shelter).

Attila
10-18-2011, 16:30
We did Fontana Dam To Clingman's Dome starting on 10/8. Only saw one bear cub during the trip ~ 50 yards from the trail. No bear issues at shelters or at campsite #113. Silers Bald shelter opened up the day before we left, no sign of bear activity when we stayed at the shelter. Lot's of bear "droppings" on the trail - they are plenty of bears in the Smokies... No water problems at shelters. #113 water source was slow but OK.
Make sure you have reservations, traffic was pretty high including 8~10 SOBO thru hikers we met during our hike. Hike up to the Shuckstack firetower, you got incredible views of Fontana Lake, Fontana Dam and the Smoky Mountains. By the time we got to Clingman's Dome, visibility was about 50 yards due to fog and high winds. Enjoy your hike.

SassyWindsor
10-18-2011, 20:50
Easy Hike, especially SOBO.