PDA

View Full Version : Best time to section hike Daleville Va to Harpers Ferry

English Stu
10-18-2011, 14:15
I have section hiked three times on the AT and covered over 1000 miles, i.e the 100 mile wilderness, Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs and Daleville south to Springer. I have an idea sometime to go north bound to Harpers Ferry from Daleville.When would be the best time to do it re the weather. Roughly when would the NoBo thru hikers becoming through? Is there a better idea to link my sections bearing in mind my entrance to the US could be Washington DC or NYC. I am retired so can choose my time.

Cookerhiker
10-18-2011, 14:33
Logistics: fly to Washington, DC, take a bus to Roanoke and shuttle to the Trail at Daleville, hike north, catch train from Harpers Ferry back to DC. You can find links to these transportation options from the ATC's website.

Time of year: I didn't understand from your post whether you wanted to be with the NOBO thruhkers or avoid them. Weatherwise, I'd start at Daleville around May 1 for beautiful spring hiking. This means you'd start when the trees are just starting to bud and hike while the leaves are coming out. You'll meet a decent share of thruhikers then but it won't be overcrowded.

Usually airfares are lower before the summer. If they increase on May 1, then fly around April 27-29 to save some funds.

Autumn is also a nice time to hike that section starting around September 20.

English Stu
10-18-2011, 14:52
Would like to meet up with NOBO thru hikers. I know, unless I get in really good shape beforehand, I will not be doing the mileage they do by then. Autumn sounds more favourable though the trees would be better in May.Food for thought.Thanks.

flemdawg1
10-18-2011, 16:22
Early May or mid-September, you're looking at 3-4 weeks of hiking (300 miles).

wnderer
10-18-2011, 20:11
I would suggest the fall to avoid the ticks in the spring, but I was just in the Shenandoah a couple of weeks ago and it was mobbed. Once I got off the AT, I had the trail pretty much to myself, but there was traffic on the AT. I was there on the weekend. It is probably less crowded during the week.

Kerosene
10-19-2011, 17:46
I suggest going in the Fall, somewhere between mid-September and mid-October. The benefits include few if any bugs, cooler temperatures, and hopefully the Fall colors. The drawbacks include wider temperature swings that require heavier/more clothes and typically a scarcity of water.