PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Helicopter Rescue!

Spokes
10-18-2011, 16:03
Poor hiker fell on Mt. Madison. Now that's one rescue I'd liked to have seen.

Article here:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111018/NEWS07/710189961

johnnybgood
10-18-2011, 16:22
I'd be curious to know if this poor chap will be responsible for his rescue. This is New Hampshire !!

peakbagger
10-18-2011, 17:17
The rescue was with a national guard helicopter which is generaly billed to training. Fish and Game will have expenses for personel but the major cost is if when they have to rent a helecopter. Unless the hiker was "reckless" they generally dont charge. Much as everyone loves to yell and complain about billing for rescues the majority of rescues dont get charged. The most notable rescues that do get charged usually involve folks who are blatently underequipped or intoxicated.

Kermitt
10-18-2011, 17:37
Most of the time if it is Natiomal Guard they are glad for the practise. That is what I was told this Summer.

LIhikers
10-18-2011, 18:39
My wife and I hiked the Presidentials this past summer, in August.
I saw 3 different occasions of a Blackhawk helicopter touching down on a mountain.
I assume each was a rescue but they were too far away to see what was going on at the landing site.
On a percentage basis I guess very few hikkers have to get rescued, but on a numerical basis there's probably a lot of rescue missions.

aaronthebugbuffet
10-18-2011, 18:46
Most of the time if it is Natiomal Guard they are glad for the practise. That is what I was told this Summer.Cool, I know who to call when I need a shuttle now! :p

MuddyWaters
10-18-2011, 21:03
black-blazing?

Spokes
10-18-2011, 21:07
Too funny!!!

peakbagger
10-19-2011, 06:28
The national guard blackhawks also support renovations at AT facilities on occasion. The new Garfield Ridge shelter was moved to the site in pieces by the national guard. One of the days coincided with Flags on the 48 event. Here is a link to some photos and videos from viewsfromthetop

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41962&highlight=blackhawk

By the way, helicopters are generally banned from landing in the whites unless there is a emergency or its in a permit. AMC is limited to a small windo in the spring and fall.