PDA

View Full Version : Water purification

rene
02-28-2005, 01:37
I was thinking of using a steripen to purify my drinking water. Has anyone used one? Any problems?

Thanks,
Rene

orangebug
02-28-2005, 10:06
The better question is whether there are any benefits to treating water, with any tool. :-?

superman
02-28-2005, 10:42
There are different views on water purification on the AT but that method isn't up to backcountry water. The high mountain springs down south are great right from the ground. When you get to pasture lands it's best to filter in my opinion. In the area between Harpers Ferry and Gorham, NH I carried tablets but there was lots of plentiful potable water. When I got to Maine I filled up my nalgene bottle before going to sleep and dropped in a couple iodines. In the morning I added some limejuice for flavor. By noon I stopped to eat and was about to finish off the last inch or two of water. I tipped it up to drink and there were all these critters.... maybe alien life forms.... swimming around in my nalgene. I got my filter sent back to me fast. My understanding of the steripen is that it's not up to the job of real backcountry water. I like a filter to get rid of the "swimmy floaty" things. Since hiking the AT I've used those bottles with the filters in them. I just fill the bottle and drink. I don't know how they would work for a thru hike though.