PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Bly Gap to Fontana Dam May 2012

barf_jay
10-19-2011, 13:05
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, I am planning a hike from Bly Gap to Fontana Dam the last week of May, shooting for the 26th to June 3rd 2012 & I am looking for a hiking partner who would like to do this adventure with me.

I thought this would be the best resource to try an locate someone who may want to go. I am looking really only for 1 ro 2 people who would like to go. My initial plans are to hike the 90 miles in 8 or 9 days.

I have had some other people recommend hiking this North to South instead (they said it is easier), so If anyone has hiked this section before, please any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

barf_jay
10-19-2011, 20:00
Just wanted to update this post, I will be actually starting at Blue Ridge Gap just south of Bly Gap for this hike.

Kimberly Lawrence
10-19-2011, 21:33
Awesome! I need that section up to Fontana Damn. I'm in as long as I can make arrangements for someone to take care of my kids.

barf_jay
10-21-2011, 18:23
Cool :cool:, I will keep in touch early next year once we start to close in on the date. If you find something out if you are a for sure on the hike, just let me know. I currently have maybe 2 others wanting to go...but for now no solid commitments as of yet.

Kimberly Lawrence
10-29-2011, 14:54
Just wanted to let you know that I have a friend who is interested in doing this section too. I know you don't want this to be a big group but I had mentioned it to her and she wanted me to pass along that she is interested. I've done some sections with her before.

Northern Lights
10-29-2011, 15:45
I only recall one steep climb right out of Bly Gap, it was tough but not horrible. Enjoy!

Kerosene
10-29-2011, 18:49
NOBO: The climb out of Bly Gap of Courthouse Bald is a killer. I thought that the dreaded climb of Albert Mtn. was overstated; it's so short that you're at the tower before you know it. My newbie, out-of-shape daughter covered Standing Indian to Fontana without any problems, although we were averaging just under 10 miles per day. The climb out of NOC is long, but just take it a bit at a time. The climb north of Stecoah Gap is certainly steep, but as long as it's not hot and humid it really isn't all that bad.
In many cases, heading south over a section this long just means that you climb out of the other side of a gap. Over any 50-mile section I would say that it doesn't matter if you go north or south.

barf_jay
10-30-2011, 15:06
Just wanted to let you know that I have a friend who is interested in doing this section too. I know you don't want this to be a big group but I had mentioned it to her and she wanted me to pass along that she is interested. I've done some sections with her before.

Sounds great...so far no solid "yes I am 100%" in as of yet, so more in the pool means a better chance of having 1-2 solids going on the hike. I am planning on hiking from Deep Gap to Blue Ridge Gap sometime next month..if you & your friend are interested let me know, give us a chance to hike together before the May hike.

The reason I wan't to knock out this part is to eliminate the Blue Ridge to Deep Gap section going downhill instead of uphill...makes sense. So the May hike will start at Deep Gap & go to Fontana Dam, will give an extra day for cushion.

barf_jay
10-30-2011, 15:10
Thanks for all the good info Kerosene & Northern Lights..this makes my planning easier.

Northern Lights
10-30-2011, 15:16
Thanks for all the good info Kerosene & Northern Lights..this makes my planning easier.

You're welcome! I agree with Kerosene on Albert Mountain. Everyone I met told me about the dreaded Albert Mountain, it's a very quick climb and the views at the top were fantastic!

I will add I forgot about Jacob's Ladder. I'm a slow hiker and stop alot on inclines. There was no stopping on this section for me, just too steep.

Enjoy your hike!

Jim Adams
10-30-2011, 15:40
...alot of times uphill is far easier on your knees.

geek

Kimberly Lawrence
11-02-2011, 13:04
My friend Donna was wondering if you would be willing to share your email address. We are trying to figure out where the section is you want to do this month. Donna doesn't do facebook or anything else.

barf_jay
11-03-2011, 08:03
My friend Donna was wondering if you would be willing to share your email address. We are trying to figure out where the section is you want to do this month. Donna doesn't do facebook or anything else.

***PM sent to Kimberly Lawrence

peakseeker
11-03-2011, 18:48
Contact me as I may be interested in doing both sections with ya. I need to start at Addis GAP just above " wildcat creek ( Lake Burton area )" and finish at Bly GAP which will complete my Ga portion.

Let me know via PM the details.

barf_jay
11-04-2011, 08:14
Sorry for the confusion, I meant Deep Gap, North Carolina...forgot there was one in Georgia. I will be going from Deep Ga, NC. down to Blue Ridge Gap in Georgia.