PDA

View Full Version : washing clothes

saimyoji
02-28-2005, 01:53
Is it feasible to wash clothes as you walk? I imagine: A downpour occurs, you whip out your dirty clothes (in mid stride), give 'em a scrub, set them to dry (methods seem to vary).

What'd'ya think?

SGT Rock
02-28-2005, 07:19
There is a technique to put water, dirty clothes, and some camp soap into a waterproof bag and walk with it in or on your pack so the walking motion gives it an agitation action.

I guess you could also just whip out some soap and wash the clothes you are wearing as you walk in them,just like you were in the shower. If it is raining hard enough it would rinse them as you wear them.

chris
02-28-2005, 11:00
I got rained on a fair amount last summer and rarely would put on a rain jacket, hoping that I might at least get clean. It didn't seem to work too well as I didn't have any soap with me to get rid of the really nasty accumulations. I have found, however, that I can scrub out socks on rocks in streams, and keep my feet happy, without soap.

Mouse
02-28-2005, 14:14
I found a ziplock bag makes a fair washing machine, although I never tried it while hiking. Water, a few drops of Dr Bronners, then close it up and squish the contents to wash.

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 14:46
Is it feasible to wash clothes as you walk? I imagine: A downpour occurs, you whip out your dirty clothes (in mid stride), give 'em a scrub, set them to dry (methods seem to vary).

What'd'ya think?

why would you do this? spend $1 and and hour washing them in town every week or so.

tlbj6142
02-28-2005, 15:35
why would you do this? spend $1 and and hour washing them in town every week or so.Because you don't want to wait a week? Save a dollar? Save time? Limit town visits? There are lots of reason why you may want to clean your clothes "in the backcountry".

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 15:49
Because you don't want to wait a week? Save a dollar? Save time? Limit town visits? There are lots of reason why you may want to clean your clothes "in the backcountry".

Truthfully, I wouldnt call the AT "the backcountry" and with the numerous access points to town, it seems like it would be easier (and more efficient, if not economical) to just use a washer. now if you were in Montana or something I could understand...

chris
02-28-2005, 16:06
I scrub out socks everyday, because if I go for more than a couple of days in the same pair, my feet do strange, bad things. I try to rinse out my bandana frequently as the heavy salt gets annoying quickly.

grrickar
02-28-2005, 22:44
You could stand in the pouring rain to wash 'em I guess, but you risk getting cold and miserable. I would opt for washing them as you hike in a ziploc with water and Dr. Bronners. I have washed them this way at shelters before, and then hung them for the night. Sometimes they would dry, and other times they would not. On a warm day, a damp cool shirt isn't a bad thing. (and it's clean!!) If you soap up your clothes while they are on your body, there's a chance the soap will irritate your skin, especially if you chafe as a result. Water rarely gets the funk out - for that you need soap, and for that Dr. Bronner's can't be beat IMO.