PDA

View Full Version : New Year's 2011-2012 in Smokies

tcha5782
10-19-2011, 16:09
Hi All,
I'm thinking of doing some winter camping/hiking in the Smokies between Christmas and my return to grad school in January. If anyone is interested in possibly coming along or has advice/tips, feel free to send me a message. I haven't done too much winter camping for more than 1-2 days at a time.

Tim aka Second Shift

Sarcasm the elf
10-19-2011, 16:17
Hi Tim, sounds fun, but unfortunately I can't make it. My friends run a summer camp in the berkshires and I do most of my winter camping up in that area. You should check it out sometime.

Doc Mike
10-19-2011, 16:29
I might be interested, let me know when you firm up the dates and I'll see if I can make it work.

Doc Mike

ashmorec
10-28-2011, 14:38
Hey Tim! Lucky here. I'm headed to Newfound Gap tomorrow to finish out the Smokies. Wish you the best. Send me an IM sometime.

Papa D
10-28-2011, 14:42
Sounds like fun - I'll be out there next weekend - going to run the whole park in 3 days - snow permitting - I might be up for a jaunt around New Years - I might also be in Utah Skiing depending on what the storms are looking like - P/M me anyway - P.D.

The Solemates
10-28-2011, 15:06
we go every year for several days between christmas and new years. usually head back to town new years eve afternoon. anyone is welcome to join us - but who knows at this point where we will end up.

ednotmilkman
10-31-2011, 15:15
hey 2nd shift,

are you walking the AT end to end or doing a loop? I'm always interested if it's at least 7 days. Will you drive ?

what type of hike do you all do, Soulmates ?

Edwin

The Solemates
10-31-2011, 18:23
hey 2nd shift,

are you walking the AT end to end or doing a loop? I'm always interested if it's at least 7 days. Will you drive ?

what type of hike do you all do, Soulmates ?

Edwin

For our christmas trip, in the past we've done all kinds of stuff. Last year was a 3 day out and back in Pisgah and post-holing in 14 inches of snow. Year before that was a Smokies loop with about 4 inches - but bitter cold (below 0 F windchill and single digits without it). Sometimes we do the AT, sometimes not. Typically we only do 3-4 days for this trip. The usual suspects are my father, brother-in-law, sometimes father-in-law, and sometimes family friends (so dont let the fact that I am in my 30s frighten you off). We generally take it pretty easy.

tcha5782
12-04-2011, 23:20
Dear All,
Just an update that I ended up canceling my New Year's plans in the Smokies. Some of the logistics were getting too complicated for someone who lives in Indiana and will be spending most of his time in New York and Massachusetts over the winter break. I look forward to getting some free time after graduation and getting back on the Trail to finish up MA-ME in June and July. Stay away black flies!

The Solemates
12-05-2011, 12:56
we're doing a multi-day loop out of cades cove up and around gregory and maybe more, nobo on AT to thunderhead, back down.