PDA

View Full Version : Relevance of hiking the approach trail

papa john
02-28-2005, 09:21
I always wanted to see if there was any impact on the completion rate.

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 11:28
Didnt hike it on our thru, although we have hiked it before. The reason we didnt hike it on our thru is that we had a large group following us up to the summit to see us off and they wouldnt have wanted to do the approach.

Jaybird
02-28-2005, 11:55
the Amicalola Falls Trail aka "the Approach trail" is NOT included as part of the Appalachian Trail...why bother.

Now, with that said,...my wife & i hiked it on our way to the Len Foote Hike Inn a few years ago.

Footslogger
02-28-2005, 11:57
I wanted to hike the approach trail but did not want to start there for my thru-hike. Decided to use the approach trail as one of my conditioning hikes about a month or so before I left Springer. Glad I did it that way.

'Slogger
AT 2003

shaggy2004
02-28-2005, 12:18
I hiked the approach trail at the beginning of my thru-hike last year. Actually, not that this is relevant information, it was a year ago today that I started out at Amicolola Falls. Ah, memories :rolleyes: Anyway, I did it because I figured I might as well see that 8 mile section while I was down there. I'm glad I did it this way. I stayed at Springer Mtn shelter got up the next morning and walked back to the plaque. It was a good kick off to the hike. And really, what's another 8 miles either way when you're walking almost 2200. It certainly doesen't make you more or less a thru-hiker by hiking or not hiking the approach trail. It's a personal choice. Hike your own hike. :jump

Frosty
02-28-2005, 15:45
Well, I don't have finsihing data, obviously, but will be hiking it March 19.

I want to start out under the arch, and I want to climb to the top to start the hike. I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist, also, and am not opposed to hiking a few miles, even if it isn't part of the official trail. If I didn't like hiking I wouldn't be doing this. I LIKE hiking and still wonder why I'm doing this!

I did hike to summit from FS42 last month because I wanted to show my wife the summit and she was simply not going to hike from the arch, or even the lodge.

neo
02-28-2005, 16:04
i did the georgia section hiking southbound,so the approach trail was the departure trail for me.:sun neo

minnesotasmith
02-28-2005, 17:14
Only officially is it not. I've hiked the Approach Trail several times in the last year, and intend to start at Amicalola for my upcoming section hike of the whole AT in GA. Frankly, the AppTrail needs to be added to the AT officially. That would give hikers a nice place to both start and end (especially end) their through-hikes. By comparison, imagine trying to get nonactive relatives to come to Springer, by driving up unpaved USFS 42 (which I've done), and then walking 0.9 miles to Springer, just to see you backtrack past where they walked from.

Plus, the AT would be made a bit longer, and thus just a bit more of an accomplishment to have thru-hiked. No downsides IMO...

ARambler
02-28-2005, 18:50
The Hiker Hostel has been open for over 360 days. From there, the FS42 approach is the recommended route. I did the Approach Trail when I section hiked back in the day. Back in the day, it was traditional to carry a 50 lb Kelty on long road walks. Hike your own tradition.:dance

Frosty
02-28-2005, 19:19
Back in the day, it was traditional to carry a 50 lb Kelty That's it? 50 pounds? You must have been one of them ultralighters who only carried a wimpy belt ax, instead of a real two-handed double-bit ax.

halibut15
02-28-2005, 20:22
Isn't the Approach Trail (or part of it) part of the old official AT to Oglethorpe Mtn. before it was rerouted? Just wondering....hike it or don't; it's a trail through the woods, so I'm all over it.

NotYet
02-28-2005, 20:35
Can't answer the poll...I started at Katahdin! So, I actually completed my thru-hike before the "exit trail" became an option for me! :D

Cedar Tree
02-28-2005, 20:47
I didn't do the approach on my 2000 thruhike, but I made it to Katahdin. I hiked the approach trail the next year on a section hike.
CT

Jerm
04-17-2005, 00:54
No, I am a SouthBounder. There needs to be another option if your thru-hike starts in Baxter.

Ridge
04-17-2005, 01:41
...south of Springer. The least we could do is to hike the 8 miles which may have been part of the original trail....I'm not sure on this one...but it probably wasn't. For South Bounders I would ask did they do the 8 miles to exit the trail.

neo
04-17-2005, 09:47
the approach trail was departure trail for me,i parked at amicola falls

and got shuttled to deep gap nc,1 mile south of standing indian,and hiked south back to my car:cool: neo

bearbag hanger
04-17-2005, 10:22
During my first AT thru hike attempt in 1997, I hiked the approach trail.

During my sucessful thru hike last year, I didn't hike the approach trail.

Never really considered hiking or not hiking the approach had anything to do with my 1997 failure, but who knows? I do remember meeting an old guy called the "Professor" on the approach who looked at me and my pack and informed me he doubted very much that I would make it to Mt Katahdin.

Should the approach be considered an official part of the AT? No! That's like saying Daicey Pond should be considered the northern terminus.

MOWGLI
04-17-2005, 12:24
By comparison, imagine trying to get nonactive relatives to come to Springer, by driving up unpaved USFS 42 (which I've done), and then walking 0.9 miles to Springer, just to see you backtrack past where they walked from.

Plus, the AT would be made a bit longer, and thus just a bit more of an accomplishment to have thru-hiked. No downsides IMO...

A couple of things. My Mom hiked the .9 up & back at age 66, and she had double-knee replacement surgery a few years earlier. She is ANYTHING but a hiker.

IMO, a finish at Amicalola would be anti-climatic. I mean, if the idea is to make the AT more of an accomplishment, why stop at Katahdin? Why not take folks over the Knife Edge in Baxter.

BTW, I wish I'd done the Knife Edge when I was in Baxter in 2000. I don't have the same feelings about the approach trail however. I will walk part of the Approach Trail for the fiirst time on May 21. I am the guest speaker at the Len Foote Hike Inn that evening.

A-Train
04-17-2005, 16:34
Yeah, the Approach is not part of the AT, so why bother worrying about it. I understand the argument that if you try to cut corners early, you will most likely not make it to maine, but at the same time, it is a corner that is NOT part of the greater AT picutre. I didn't hike, nor did most of the folks who I hiked with, and still made it.

The great thing about USFS 42 is that it DOES give your loved ones a chance to send you off in style and experience a little of the journey. I would never trade having my folks up on springer with me, for the chance to do the approach. It was the best and only way to set off on such a magical journey. And honestly. after 950 miles to get there, it was the least I could do for them!

Peaks
04-17-2005, 18:26
Should the approach be considered an official part of the AT? No! That's like saying Daicey Pond should be considered the northern terminus.

How about making Chimney Pond the northern terminus?

Ender
04-26-2005, 15:09
Yeah, the Approach is not part of the AT, so why bother worrying about it.

I agree. Quite frankly, I don't see the need to worry about darn near anything when it comes to the Appalachian Trail. It's the woods, it doesn't care where you go, what you hike, so why should I? The point for me at least, is just to be out there, and to enjoy nature. Everything else comes later.

I did the approach trail in '98 for my thru. It was rough, the only time I've ever gotten charlie horses from hiking, but I'm glad I was outside that day. Quite an experience. Plus, it made the next few days seem that much easier! :)

I don't think it affects whether or not one finishes the trail though, and I think the poll reflects that pretty well. Seems about a 50/50 split.

Ender

tank17
04-29-2005, 10:24
I did the approach trail because it was there and was curious to see what all the fuss was. I am glad I did it and now I don't have to defend myself for not doing it. By the way it was pretty irrelevent in my thru hike. It was a conversation piece at camp on why and why not do it. Who knows and really cares. If you are worried about it just do the 8 miles and forget it. Happy hiking