PDA

View Full Version : Is too much planning a bad thing?

Many Moons
10-19-2011, 20:21
I have got some good advice on when to start a hike and how heavy a pack. Thanks to all who have helped me! Now, I would like to know if anyone has thoughts on over planning. Should I just go with it and learn along the way or plan every last detail? I know from many things in life it is more fun to just let it happen. I see where you can plan to see everything you can and detail out every detail. Or should I pack my pack and hit the trail on April 8th and let it happen? I have bought the plane ticket yesterday for Easter day and will hit the trail that day rain or shine. I am leaning toward under planning for this first 2 week section hike. OK, I follow the white blazes and and need food and water. By no means am I trying to make light of the undertaking, just wondering if over planning will spoil some of the fun? See some of you in April!

"Many Moons" also known as "Miller Time"

ChinMusic
10-19-2011, 20:31
Having a plan is a good thing. Just make sure you wrote in pencil and have a good eraser.

Mountain Mike
10-19-2011, 20:32
The AT is an easy hike to just get on the trail & go. Unless you have dietary restrictions or have dehydrated your own food & are doing mail drops. I tend to overplan. Not so much because I think it is neccisary. Just like dreaming about upcoming hike.

Bloomer
10-19-2011, 20:36
How you chose to plan a long distance hike is up to you. I personaly like the security of knowing what I have waiting for me in drop boxes along the way. Also, knowing what hostels or lodging your going to stay in during certain sections help plan out your meals. Of course certain section offer more oportunities that others and should be factored in to you planning. The AT Guide can help! It's all up to you.

rsmout
10-19-2011, 20:55
"Adventure is just bad planning."

- Roald Amundsen, first explorer to reach the South Pole

mountain squid
10-19-2011, 20:56
I am leaning toward under planning for this first 2 week section hike.If you like to plan, plan. It's not a big deal. Chances are you won't stick to the plan, but the planning process can be fun.

For what it's worth, I think there are two times when a plan/itinerary is a very good idea. It can be beneficial for the first week or so to stick to an itinerary. Alot of hikers hike too many miles too quickly in the first week. 8-10 mi days are good to start with. When you get to your campsite, stop, even if it is still early in the day. That'll give your body time to recuperate some.

The other time an itinerary can be beneficial is in The Whites. If you plan out The Whites, you can mostly avoid the hassle with the huts and possibly be better prepared for the rapidly changing weather.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

ChinMusic
10-19-2011, 21:02
I think it depends some on what previous experiences you have to. I have done about 500 miles via section hikes. I'm pretty comfortable showing up with 4 days worth of food and winging it. I wouldn't have been that comfortable as a newb.

Papa D
10-19-2011, 21:53
Planning on your exact itinerary is not so helpful - I find I almost always get ahead of my schedule - which is good, but then after a week or so, I decide that I am so far ahead, I can take a couple of zeros - then I take drunk somewhere and it ends up getting messy so I wouldn't schedule too hard. Also, mail drops are sort of fun -- going to pick up a mail drop --- but (and I'm sort of sad about this) it has become sort of outdated. Back in the day, you needed your gear and special food and fuel etc., - now, at least the way the AT is set up, you can buy whatever anywhere - I just carry a GSI grocery bag as my food bag and recycle zip-locks and go again. Mail drops are reserved for special things - mail (like postcards, letters, and pictures are fun still). So, what is there to plan - your gear maybe, but you can get the basics by reading a bunch of posts here and then experimenting for yourself. You can always ditch something in the town dumpster or at a goodwill box (please not on the trail) and trade out, so gear planning is a little over-rated too in my opinion. The planning is important is planning your body - staying in shape mentally and physically and making sure that things on the homefront (whatever that means to you) are "covered" - forwarding mail, turning off subscriptions to stuff - finding someone to feed the cat - now that is more important in my view.

Spokes
10-19-2011, 22:01
The biggest benefit of my 2009 thru hike plan was getting me through the first couple re-supply cycles. After that you pretty much have it down. Then start focusing on opening your eyes to the terra-firma around you.

Spirit Walker
10-19-2011, 23:17
It depends on what makes you happy. There is so much information about the AT easily available, it is possible to just buy one of the hiker guides and get started with very little advance preparation. OTOH, I like to plan. I like reading books and studying maps and becoming familiar with the trail, learning what my resupply options are, finding out about geography, history, etc. ahead of time. I have found that when times are tough, it can help to know that ahead is something really special that I want to see. I enjoy looking for alternative routes and different places to visit.

That said, my advance itinerary is generally pretty loose. I'll guesstimate times between towns, but I don't worry if I'm ahead or behind. I usually end up walking faster than expected, but it rarely matters. I know hikers who had a complete schedule of where they expected to sleep every night. The smart ones threw out the schedule pretty quickly. Trail reality is that some days the trail is harder or easier than expected, weather has an effect, since you are starting so early, trail conditions will be a big factor (snow/ice and blowdowns), your body will either slow you down or allow you to fly, friends may steer you into town when you hadn't planned to go there, etc.

ChinMusic
10-19-2011, 23:20
I think knowing the best eateries along the way would be prime knowledge to have ahead of time.

stranger
10-20-2011, 01:24
As others have said, it's largely based on expereince and how much detail you like to get into. I would map out your first 200 miles or so, just to get an idea of where to resupply, overnight in town, send drops, etc...As for the daily on trail planning, I would just see how you go, but you are going to know approximately how far you can expect to get in a day, this is where some day hikes come in handy if you don't already know this. Also, it's good to know that Hiawassee and Franklin have great supermarkets, while Fontana Dam has very little. So you might want to plan on sending a drop to Fontana, but even this can be done on-route while in Hiawassee. It's pretty easy to get to Springer Mountain and start walking these days, before the hiker hostel was around it was a bit more complex.

trainhopper
10-20-2011, 01:39
I would say that I fall into the type of hiker that loves to look over maps for an extended period of time, looking and reading about the next few days miles. The first time I did a good section hike I thought I had everything down when it came to miles per day, where we would sleep, mail drops etc. What I have learned after doing a few of these hikes is that you can not, nor should not have an exact plan. For instance this past summer I hiked a major portion of the Northville Placid Trail in the Adirondacks. The plan was to have the hike take us 8 days in total. The first three days would be major miles carrying all the supplies we needed. The fourth day we walked into town to eat real food, have a few beers, then finally make it to our campsite only doing about six trail miles for the day. That night was my favorite on the trail. The only problem was that the weather called for non stop rain starting the next morning for around 12 hours. So the next day we hiked 16 miles in the pouring rain in miserable conditions. As a group we were so insistent on sticking to the original plan we took a light day on a beautiful sunny day and hiked all day in the pouring rain. All four of us agreed that the best decision would have been to adjust our schedule to the weather and flip flop those days. Knowing a full day of rain was ahead we should have put in the hard miles the day prior and taken a light or even a zero day in a shelter during the rain. What I am getting at is plan ahead but give yourself options. Don't take a zero day just because it was in the plan. Work them around weather and all the other unpredictable things you will encounter on the way.

rickb
10-20-2011, 06:59
Planning means different things to different people. For some it could be reading other people's AT memoirs and journals ad nauseum. To my way of thinking that could take some of the discovery out one's hike.

For others it could mean learning something about the history and natural history along and about the Trail before you head out. I don't think that could be overdone-- in part because most folks do so little along those lines.

As for hyper focus on gear and such-- yea its easy to get sucked up in to that. If its fun, great but its OK if everything isn't perfect. With very little effort one could figure that out here on WB.

If your idea of planning includes learning something about yourself with a couple shake down hikes or reflecting on ones you already have had-- ideally in less than perfect conditions -- I think you will be much farther ahead of those who do a great deal more on paper.

DapperD
10-20-2011, 08:02
I have got some good advice on when to start a hike and how heavy a pack. Thanks to all who have helped me! Now, I would like to know if anyone has thoughts on over planning. Should I just go with it and learn along the way or plan every last detail? I know from many things in life it is more fun to just let it happen. I see where you can plan to see everything you can and detail out every detail. Or should I pack my pack and hit the trail on April 8th and let it happen? I have bought the plane ticket yesterday for Easter day and will hit the trail that day rain or shine. I am leaning toward under planning for this first 2 week section hike. OK, I follow the white blazes and and need food and water. By no means am I trying to make light of the undertaking, just wondering if over planning will spoil some of the fun? See some of you in April!

"Many Moons" also known as "Miller Time"Planning for your hike is fine, and it is important. But you must understand that at a certain point, you will just need to go and do it. No amount of planning is going to replace actually being out there in the rain, cold, mud, etc...this is where you will be tested physically and mentally. Being out there day after day pushing yourself, and realizing at that point that much of your so called "planning" has just been left by the wayside:D.

hikerboy57
10-20-2011, 08:09
I've probably over-prepared for every section hike Ive done. I like to know not just resupply points, but the lay of the land, natural history, flora and fauna, etc. I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING.Ironically, I know nothing till I start walking.

Miguel124
10-20-2011, 20:04
Planning is Good but expect the unexpected..

Two Speed
10-20-2011, 20:22
I have got some good advice on when to start a hike and how heavy a pack. Thanks to all who have helped me! . . . "Many Moons" also known as "Miller Time"Plan every detail, down to what you're going to eat at what time every day, where you're going to zero, how much you're going to spend to the penny, exactly how many squares of toilet paper you need per week, do spreadsheets, lots and lots of spreadsheets, have a great time and go nuts.

It'll keep you happy and busy.

Once you hit the trail remember that all a good plan does is makes sure you've got the resources to achieve the objective if you're really persistent and resourceful, and screw the plan.

rsmout
10-21-2011, 12:46
Planning is Good but expect the unexpected..

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."

- Mike Tyson, professional boxer

rsmout
10-21-2011, 12:48
Plan every detail, down to what you're going to eat at what time every day, where you're going to zero, how much you're going to spend to the penny, exactly how many squares of toilet paper you need per week, do spreadsheets, lots and lots of spreadsheets, have a great time and go nuts.

It'll keep you happy and busy.

Once you hit the trail remember that all a good plan does is makes sure you've got the resources to achieve the objective if you're really persistent and resourceful, and screw the plan.

"Planning is everything; the plan is nothing."

- Dwight D. Eisenhower, General, U.S. Army

Jim Adams
10-21-2011, 13:23
You know how to walk, you know how to buy food, plan for about the first 2 resupplies and then just go. If you make an itinerery it will remove all adventure and surprise from the trip. If you write it down on paper, and take it with you...you can use it as fire started at Springer.
This is not my quote, I don't know who initially made the statement and common sense is probably the most important thing to keep you safe and enjoying your hike but I have always said that "fortunately my trip was not over burdened with an abundence of common sense".

geek

tiptoe
10-21-2011, 13:46
For section hiking, I need to plan enough to figure out basic logistics: start and end points and how to get there, how much time to allow, resupply and/or maildrops, approximate distance to cover per day. Planning also is fun for me; it's a way of extending the pleasures of hiking. These plans are far from set in stone. They are more like guidelines. Once I'm on the trail I revisit my plan each day, and sometimes more often than that, depending on trail conditions, mood, etc.

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 13:48
one of my all time favorite quotes from John Lennon-"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"from Beautiful Boy

Tinker
10-21-2011, 14:02
Friends and family always ruin the best laid plans.
Family you will always have.
Friends you will make.
Try to keep your planning to a minimum (an outline, if you will), and plan for your plans to change. Isn't that life in general?

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 14:09
For section hiking, I need to plan enough to figure out basic logistics: start and end points and how to get there, how much time to allow, resupply and/or maildrops, approximate distance to cover per day. Planning also is fun for me; it's a way of extending the pleasures of hiking. These plans are far from set in stone. They are more like guidelines. Once I'm on the trail I revisit my plan each day, and sometimes more often than that, depending on trail conditions, mood, etc.
For me, my planning is not to lock me into some rigid itinerary, rather, by learning the are Im hiking allows me to become more impulsive in terms of altering my trip. I like being somewhat impulsive, and by learning side trails,lay of the land etc., it gives me grereater flexibility should I choose to make a change from my "planned" original route.and in some areas like the whites, its always good to have exit routes already mapped out, should the weather turn nasty.If I originally planned to do a presi traverse, and I get up to NH and the forecast is for rain for the next 3 days, I can go into the great gulf or go south of washington where theres more cover, less exposure, and have a more enjoyable hike.I've had a few "epics" in my life, and although I enjoy challenging myself, im not out there for a course in survival.
Last year when I did the Mahoosucs, I actually driove from gorham to 26 thru grafton notch and back to berlin on success pond rd, just to get a feel for the terrain.mapsd are great, but nothing beats a little preparatory scouting.

bobtomaskovic
10-22-2011, 18:47
I just finished my first thru on the AT. I needed to come up with a plan to get to the trail with enough food to get to Neel Gap, 30 mi. After that I had no fixed plan and just shopped as I went along.

OneStepCloser
10-24-2011, 00:07
a wise man once told me plans never survive first contact with the enemy... adapt and survive...

Don H
10-24-2011, 07:31
I just finished my first thru on the AT. I needed to come up with a plan to get to the trail with enough food to get to Neel Gap, 30 mi. After that I had no fixed plan and just shopped as I went along.

Me too, but I had 4 food drops with 4 days of food on hand at home on standby. I ended up using them in Maine but could have done with out them.

rsmout
10-24-2011, 10:16
a wise man once told me plans never survive first contact with the enemy... adapt and survive...

Who was Napoleon Bonaparte? Next question...

(BTW, what's your secret to longevity?)

Blissful
10-24-2011, 10:44
Itinerary is tough to plan for- most times it gets thrown out.

Gear you should as best you can. And you need planning if you are on meds for conditions, etc. Long distance, you also need money and make sure stuff on the homefront is in order.

mirabela
10-24-2011, 17:26
I haven't read everyone's replies, please forgive me any inadvertent redundancy ...

Planning isn't necessarily bad, but it is no substitute for experience. It is hard to plan well for something you don't have much experience with. I knew thru-hikers who succeeded with very little planning or experience. I also knew people with lots of both. Those who were able to execute their plans successfully were mostly those who knew very well what they were getting into. Most others wound up making lots of adjustments.

Bottom line, stay flexible -- and get what experience you can, in the interim. Planning's fun, there's nothing wrong with it, and it may be very helpful to you -- just don't take it too seriously.

You can certainly do it without much serious planning. When I went, I had done a lot of backpacking, including a few trips in the 10-14 day range and knew my basic routines. I had the gear I happened to already own (some of which would make many here laugh pretty hard, nowadays), 16 days of food in my pack, and a single mail drop on its way to Fontana Dam. Beyond that, the complete extent of my plan was 'walk north, buy food en route, finish in time to go back to school.' It worked okay ... even with about a million zero days I finished with plenty of time to spare, and had a real good experience.