PDA

View Full Version : How Many Moose?

rickb
02-28-2005, 10:54
How many moose did you see on your thru hike? (If you hiked more than once, answer for the year you saw the greatest number).

The Solemates
02-28-2005, 11:21
3 I think, but we certainly heard more than that. they sound like a bowling ball rolling on a alley floor.

Jaybird
02-28-2005, 11:58
Moose??? I don't see NO stinkin' Moose!

My wife & i have visited Maine several times on vacation & day-hiked several trails on the A.T. & intersecting the A.T. & NEVER saw a MOOSE!

We go out to WYOMING (Tetons) last year....& MOOSE are everywhere!
Whats the deal? :D

DebW
02-28-2005, 12:03
I've only seen them from roads in NH. Never on the trail. Funny...

erichlf
02-28-2005, 20:34
Moose??? I don't see NO stinkin' Moose!

My wife & i have visited Maine several times on vacation & day-hiked several trails on the A.T. & intersecting the A.T. & NEVER saw a MOOSE! Moose are a bit nocturnal. The times I have seen Meeses were dawn and dusk, and always near water. I grew up in NH so had more chances to see than most. In fact had a couple times that they passed through my home town of Manchester.

DavidNH
02-28-2005, 22:54
heck,

Up in northern New hampshire..you can pull over and watch moose from the car. just roll down the window! I guess for folks in "the south" finding a moose is more of an event. Go out near edge of woods at dusk or dawn. Good chance to see moose

NH hiker

hikerjohnd
02-28-2005, 22:58
OK - I thought this post was asking how many mouse one sees - time for bed! :D I'll get back to it after my thru!

walkin' wally
03-02-2005, 19:25
Stinkin' moose are all over the place north of Monson. Like the other posters say they are often seen at dusk or dawn. But in the spring they are near the roads licking left over salt from the highway most any part of the day. In June the bugs will sometimes drive them out of the woods to the roads if it is windy so they can escape them bloodsuckers. They move around a lot in the fall during the rutting season also. A favorite place for people to see moose is the D.O.T. highway garage south of Greenville. There is a salt-sand pile there that leaches some salt into a bog. The chances of seeing some moose there is quite good. The Kokadjo area north of Greenville is good too and that is not too far from the AT.

Nameless
03-19-2005, 17:31
Or just come to alaska... There seems to be one every time you turn your head. Pests if you ask me...

Slimer
03-19-2005, 18:54
I saw my first moose the day I crossed into Vermont. then saw about 9 more in Maine. Mostly saw them in the evening, but also saw some during midday.

fiddlehead
05-27-2005, 23:25
Once when i was hiking in Maine, i was with two friends and there were moose tracks on the trail. I got down and inspected a track and said to my friends: I think this track is really fresh. They started laughing and i looked up to see why and there was a huge bull moose walking about 40 yds in front of us. I was too busy watching the tracks to look ahead for the moose!

I saw about 60 moose on the CDT though. In Montana near the Idaho border is where i saw most of them but i saw some in WY, and CO too. When i lived in maine, i hit one with my van, i think he was trying to put me down as i had a dark brown van with large roof rack on top and he came right at me even though i swerved out of his way! Moose seem to be pretty dumb. But they are fun to watch, aye?

Cedar Tree
05-28-2005, 07:28
I saw 2 mouse in 2000. One live and one dead. The dead one was laying right next to the trail and it stunk badly. The live one was in Pleasant Pond, if I remember correctly. CT

Skyline
06-10-2005, 14:57
Saw my first moose--ever in my life--in Vermont. We just don't have such creatures in the South.

Kept seeing them all the way to near the end. I checked the "10-to-15" box, and it seems that puts me in a distinct minority. One reason I think I saw that many is I hike late--sometimes even night-hiking. Seems to be more out at that hour.

Footslogger
06-10-2005, 15:10
My total Moose Count in 2003 was 2. One cow and one bull. Both were early morning sightings. The cow moose was straddling the trail one morning in VT in the fog. I didn't see her until I was practically able to reach out and touch her. She made such a commotion trying to get away and her legs were flying in all directions. I just hit the ground in hopes she'd run off in a direction other than mine ...and she did. The bull moose I saw was in the back yard at Zealand Hut in the Whites. I had gotten a work-4-stay there and had a bunk but couldn't sleep and ended up hanging out on the porch during the wee hours of the morning. Again it was hazy/foggy and the bull was motionless at first so I didn't spot him. But all of a sudden he reared his head and ...Oh My God, he was about 10 - 15 feet away.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Buckingham
08-11-2005, 14:33
I saw a moose once. It was right in my living room. Yeah, I was watching that show Nortern Exposure, and there he was, big ole moose walking down the street. Crazy.

:banana

Bankrobber
08-11-2005, 19:45
I saw my first moose coming off the summit of Stratton Mtn. Vermont. It was a big cow on the north side. A huge bull blocked the trail in a swamp a few miles south of Moxie bald. I heard one crash away near the summit of Sugar Loaf. I do not recall if I actually saw it, but I am going to count it anyway. So that is 3 for me.

canoehead
08-12-2005, 08:20
Moose is a hiking buddy of mine, if ya see'em giv'em M&Ms

Sly
08-12-2005, 08:32
Lots of moose droppings but no moose until I was in a car (2) leaving Baxter. I did see 5 in the wild on the CDT.

AT-HITMAN2005
10-12-2005, 08:30
Apparently there is a resident bull moose at Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to in Maine. I think it's the shelter after Bemis Mtn. Lean-to. I was there on my thru-hike this year with about 5 section-hikers and it just stood there munching away on the shrubbery and didn't pay any attention to us. And according to the register he is there pretty often. I've found the secret to seeing wildlife on the trail(everyone will say Duh! on this) is to be the first one on the trail in the morning and hike alone for the day. When I hiked quietly in front of a group I saw much more bear and other wildlife than otherwise. I hiked with a fairly loud group through the HMW and didn't see anything at all. Also saw a couple the day I went over Saddleback.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2005, 16:41
Apparently there is a resident bull moose at Sabbath Day Pond Lean-to in Maine. I think it's the shelter after Bemis Mtn. Lean-to. I was there on my thru-hike this year with about 5 section-hikers and it just stood there munching away on the shrubbery and didn't pay any attention to us. And according to the register he is there pretty often. I've found the secret to seeing wildlife on the trail(everyone will say Duh! on this) is to be the first one on the trail in the morning and hike alone for the day. When I hiked quietly in front of a group I saw much more bear and other wildlife than otherwise. I hiked with a fairly loud group through the HMW and didn't see anything at all. Also saw a couple the day I went over Saddleback.
Hiking from Gorham to Katahdin Mid-August to Mid-September, I saw only one moose: a huge female just off the Trail by Moxie Pond, that is the southern Moxie Pond a few miles south of Sabbath Day Pond. I'm guessing female because there were no antlers.

I also saw one south of Gorham/Rt/ 2 on a short section hike about 6 years ago.

swamp dawg
12-20-2005, 12:46
I was sitting down eating my granola bar breakfast on the trail near Crawford Notch when I looked up and saw a bull moose standing right behind me no more than a foot or so. I can't belive something that big can move through the woods without making so little noise. I just froze because he was one massive animal and let him have all the trail he wanted.
Life is neat on the trail...Swamp Dawg

Cuppa Joe
12-21-2005, 16:05
One of the three things I really wanted to see/hear on my hike this year was a moose. I remember being told, "Oh, don't worry, you'll see moose in Maine!" Made it sound like I would trip over them around every corner!

Maine came ... no moose. Monson ... Still no moose. 100 mile wilderness .. and still no moose. I was resigned to the fact that I would not see one.

On Sept. 27 ... I got up early and headed for Abol Bridge. Wanted to get to the sign up sheet for The Birches so I could sign the 5 of us up. I reached the Abol Bridge store shortly before 7 AM. The store didn't open till 7 AM so I figured I would hike the mile to the sign up sheet and then come back.

Not more than 1/4 mile away I saw my Moose ... Couldn't believe it!! NOt only did I see that one but when I got back to the store the rest of the crew was rolling in and we saw another one in the river ... The day before I summitted I saw my moose :)

Cuppa

leeki pole
12-21-2005, 17:03
Lucky me...I went to Baxter to summit K with my buddy who thru hiked in 2003 and saw three moose in a pond next to the road between the entrance and Katahdin Stream Campground. Man, that's a lovely place! :sun

Shutterbug
12-22-2005, 00:27
Lucky me...I went to Baxter to summit K with my buddy who thru hiked in 2003 and saw three moose in a pond next to the road between the entrance and Katahdin Stream Campground. Man, that's a lovely place! :sun

I saw one there too. I took this picture in June 2004.

Crash! Bang!
12-26-2005, 21:08
i saw my one and only moose, i believe, the day i went into monson. id have to check my notes to be sure. ive seen moose in rocky mt natl park, and in isle royale in lake superior, you couldnt turn around without stepping on a moose! saw 7 or 8 in 5 days.

my rare animal for my AT trip was a bobcat on greylock. dat was cool

Crash! Bang!
12-26-2005, 21:09
hey, is there a bear poll (pole)? get it? ha ha

middle to middle
01-04-2006, 14:58
I actually biked around Cape Breton once and thought I could not miss seeing one up there. I did - the heck with them !

rickb
03-13-2018, 03:28
Just bumping and old thread.

Pringles
03-13-2018, 08:25
I watched one one for an hour or so, as it ate in a pond in Maine. It came back the next morning for breakfast, so I watched it then, too. Now I live in Wyoming, and while they aren't everywhere, in many areas there are a lot. Seeing a moose makes it a good day.

jj dont play
03-13-2018, 09:30
0...I did round a corner once or twice in Maine to catch a glimpse of what sounded like a train bolting away in the brush which I’m pretty sure were Meeses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
03-13-2018, 18:08
2016 - TONS of evidence: tracks, droppings, etc.

ONE moose - in the back of a pick-up truck at the grocery store just outside of Baxter. Would have LOVED to have seen a live one, but no such luck.

Zed
03-13-2018, 18:12
Saw two in Maine. One running away into the trees, and this one who kept me company for about an hour while I ate breakfast. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180313/9d203cb69dec3a9af12c40a508e0fcfa.jpg