PDA

View Full Version : drugs

ekeverette
10-20-2011, 06:41
for you few folks out there who have to take a certain monthly perscription, how are you going to do it? research the towns you will be close to that has your pharmacy(walgreens), and get it there. get the doctor to double your dose, cut the pills in half..... that's the only two things i can come up with. any other tips? thanks.:-?

Doc Mike
10-20-2011, 06:58
90 day supply and then will only need to refill x1.

doc Mike

ekeverette
10-20-2011, 07:24
it's nice having a doc in the house! thanks

Papa D
10-20-2011, 08:53
staying medicated on the trail can be pretty fun

Doc Mike
10-20-2011, 09:14
Just another bit of advice take extra cotten balls the rattling of a half full bottle of pills while hiking drives me crazy.

Sailing_Faith
10-20-2011, 09:15
for you few folks out there who have to take a certain monthly perscription, how are you going to do it? research the towns you will be close to that has your pharmacy(walgreens), and get it there. get the doctor to double your dose, cut the pills in half..... that's the only two things i can come up with. any other tips? thanks.:-?

Having a chronic pain condition (that can cause a stroke if not handled properly) I have dealt with this while traveling by small boat for some time. Many doctors are hesitant to give more then a 90 day supply... other meds (schedule III and IV) are restricted to 30 days, with 3 refills (no more then 90 days). One way I work with this is to try to get 'ahead' over time... most pharmacies will allow you to get refills a few days early. If you try to do this consistently you can build up a small reserve to make sure you do not run out. Talk to your Dr. about the problem, and see what solution you can come up with.

ekeverette
10-20-2011, 11:45
mine are not narcotics... it's for hypo thyroid.... thought about asking dr to give me a stronger dose and cut them in halfs or quarters... it's a pain to be tied to something.... but thats life.

4Bears
10-20-2011, 12:07
Just another bit of advice take extra cotten balls the rattling of a half full bottle of pills while hiking drives me crazy.

Put pills in a zip-lock bag and no rattle, you can then, if you desire, put them in a bottle or a cup to prevent crushing.

Farr Away
10-20-2011, 12:10
mine are not narcotics... it's for hypo thyroid.... thought about asking dr to give me a stronger dose and cut them in halfs or quarters... it's a pain to be tied to something.... but thats life.

Or possibly ask him to give you a paper script that you could have filled at any pharmacy? If it's synthroid, I doubt the pharmacy would be concerned about abuse. If they have to contact your doctor though, you might end up having to wait until the office is open.

-FA

Doc Mike
10-20-2011, 13:05
synthroid (levothyroxine) is usually prescribed for a year when the level is correct. Thats a 90 day with 3 refills. Get them filled at walmart and the generic is $10 for a 90 day supply and then just stop at any walmart on the trail when they are due and get a refill. I have pts that travel all over the country and the key is use a chain pharmacy and can get it filled at any branch of that pharmacy.

ekeverette
10-20-2011, 13:16
damn doc...... thanks... perfect. what do i owe you?

Spogatz
10-20-2011, 13:34
Not at all what I thought this thread was about when I read the title.....

Doc Mike
10-20-2011, 15:46
Glad I could help

Just make sure you answer one of my questions that you have knowledge about. There is such a diverse group on here that someone usually knows the answer.

Have a great hike and maybe I'll see you during one of my many sections.

ekeverette
10-20-2011, 15:54
will do..... thanks

Nick&Bruce
10-24-2011, 09:44
I need insulin so what I'm planning on doing is getting a 6 month re-supply (which is what my insurance company insists on anyways...) ahead of time and having re-supplies mailed to me along the way.

OneStepCloser
10-24-2011, 21:21
i self medicate - 2000 miles to maine quote lmfao.

ChinMusic
10-24-2011, 21:34
Why when I saw this thread did this picture pop into my head?

Enic
10-24-2011, 21:34
I need insulin so what I'm planning on doing is getting a 6 month re-supply (which is what my insurance company insists on anyways...) ahead of time and having re-supplies mailed to me along the way.

That's what my insulin plan is too... but remember that you can pick up R and NPH without a script if needed. I've shattered a vial or two while on trips before. I hate using R, but it's cheap and available if conditions call for it.

Sierra Echo
10-24-2011, 21:55

What movie is that in? I know I've seen it!
Is that from Ferris Buellers Day off?

Blissful
10-25-2011, 14:51

I had mine mailed to me in my mail drops. There are exemptions for "vacation" so you can get more pills than normal at a time. I left a note with my hubby who packed my maildrops with exactly the pills I needed for that stretch of trail, and always put a few extra in. One time I didn't have enough and he expressed mailed me pills. It can happen. But I have done the trail north and south and did fine.

Blissful
10-25-2011, 14:54

I take the same stuff. Its no big deal, you aren't tied to them!! It's easy to mail them on the trail if you have a reliable person to do it (and that is a must). Be sure also you get a physical first too before you hike and one after as your dose may need to be altered.

I did it and made it. :) Twice. And survived.

Gaiter
10-25-2011, 15:05
if your prescription has re-fills on it, you can sometimes get it transferred to a different pharmacy, but that can take time, its one of those call ahead of time things, the guide books usually have doctor and pharmacy info for towns that are frequented by hikers, but as i learned they aren't always in the same town, visited a doctor who gave me an antibiotic rx for a suspected wolf spider bite, but had to hike another day to the next town to fill the rx...

Gaiter
10-25-2011, 15:07
also explaining to your doctor that you are hiking and may need to rx's called into pharmacy's in various towns, give them a heads up and a thank you afterwards,

handlebar
10-25-2011, 20:28
My medical plans (Anthem) are for 90-day, mail-order supplies. They will not normally fill a second 90-day supply until about a two months after the previous 90-day supply was ordered. I had to write to the CEO of Anthem to get an exception to fill 6 mos. worth of my script for Simvastatin (Zocor) and Fexofenadine (Allegra), prior to its change to over the counter. Now, I believe they have a way to fill the scripts earlier, but you may have to call the customer (non) service 800 number to get the override.

Before leaving on my hikes, I packaged each day's scripts and the vitamins and supplements I take in Glad Wrap. These are put in a zip-lock. I carry a current supply in my pack and the rest in my bounce bucket with the maps and such for future sections (this is how I did it on the PCT and CDT).

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2011, 20:43
staying medicated on the trail can be pretty fun

over medicated is just super too.

keep a piece of paper with RX numbers and a few phone numbers of Dr. and stuff

GregoryK
03-16-2012, 15:28
My medical plans (Anthem) are for 90-day, mail-order supplies. They will not normally fill a second 90-day supply until about a two months after the previous 90-day supply was ordered. I had to write to the CEO of Anthem to get an exception to fill 6 mos. worth of my script

This sounds like the easiest way to go. I'll have to contact my insurance company to see if they can do this. Does anyone know if other insurance companies besides Anthem allow a 6-month prescription?

Rasty
03-16-2012, 15:35

What movie is that in? I know I've seen it!
Is that from Ferris Buellers Day off?

Yes........

Senor Jalapeno
03-16-2012, 16:01
A lot of prescription benefits providers have whats called a "vacation supply override" that will let you get your refills early. Usually this means that you should obtain a 90 DS and ask for the vacation refill right after. Send it ahead in a box.