PDA

View Full Version : You won't like thru-hiking

Colter
10-20-2011, 12:58
"Go for it, you'll love it" is a common response to someone considering a thru-hike. However, I think it's probably more common for people to NOT love thru-hiking; for those people it's not what they expected.

Perhaps, like a blind date, hopes and expectations for a thru-hike often greatly exceed the reality, and no one can accurately predict how things will work out.

Life is an adventure and there are many chances worth taking, with the greatest challenges sometimes producing the greatest rewards. Thru-hiking is the adventure of a lifetime for many, but it's definitely not for everyone. The more long hikes a person has taken the better they can predict if a thru-hike is a good choice for them.

The title is meant to get people's attention, but this post is not meant to discourage people from thru-hiking, it's to encourage people to realistically consider the challenges along with the potential rewards.

hikerboy57
10-20-2011, 13:36
the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.You cannot finish what you never start.but once you start, you can always bail.
PS>what would you epxect a bunch of LD hiking nuts to tell someone?

Blissful
10-20-2011, 13:54
Good post, Colter. Section hiking can be just as rewarding if not more. Over on the Facebook group Appalachian Trail section hikers (https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/), many are sharing about their section hikes via photos and reports, from one day to many weeks or months.

max patch
10-20-2011, 14:29
Given the 25% success rate - which means that 3 out every 4 prospective thru's fail - the odds are that you either won't like thru hiking or are physical unable to do so.

As one lucky enough to be in that 25% group, I found that I liked thru hiking even more than what I had anticipated. I would guess that is true for many.

Sensei
10-20-2011, 14:37
"Go for it, you'll love it" is a common response to someone considering a thru-hike. However, I think it's probably more common for people to NOT love thru-hiking; for those people it's not what they expected.

Perhaps, like a blind date, hopes and expectations for a thru-hike often greatly exceed the reality, and no one can accurately predict how things will work out.

Life is an adventure and there are many chances worth taking, with the greatest challenges sometimes producing the greatest rewards. Thru-hiking is the adventure of a lifetime for many, but it's definitely not for everyone. The more long hikes a person has taken the better they can predict if a thru-hike is a good choice for them.

The title is meant to get people's attention, but this post is not meant to discourage people from thru-hiking, it's to encourage people to realistically consider the challenges along with the potential rewards.

This is a good post and an important thing for all prospective thru-hikers to consider. Even those of us who DO love thru-hiking have plenty of moments when we are just plain sick of it. If you're like me, you can be sick of hiking while simultaneously feeling that there is no other place you would rather be. For the majority of hikers who finish a long distance hike, pushing through the mentally tough times is part of the challenge but also part of the reward.

When I was preparing for my thru, I made it a point to constantly remind myself that it would not all be fun and games. I think many of the A.T. hikers that end up quitting do so because they realize this for the first time while on the trail.

Papa D
10-20-2011, 14:50
good post - a whole slew of people think that doing a thru hike is like ambling along this trail and carrying whatever they need with them in this leisurely sort of way for 4-5 months -stopping in pretty little towns along the way - sort of a grand vacation - like touring around europe on a bus - it can be sort of like this at times, but what they learn quick that it involves being hot, sweaty, stinky, cold, freezing, miserable, blistered, cut up, sick, happy, lonely, bored, distracted, mentally and physically pushed way beyond your comfort zone, and sore as hell for a long time (and often many of these things in a single day). Most people that fail, figure this out pretty quick and duck out - - the good news is that the further you make it (even a few weeks) your chances start getting better pretty quick - you're one of the crazy people (a good thing in my book)

Blue Jay
10-20-2011, 14:57
good post - what they learn quick that it involves being hot, sweaty, stinky, cold, freezing, miserable, blistered, cut up, sick, happy, lonely, bored, distracted, mentally and physically pushed way beyond your comfort zone, and sore as hell for a long time (and often many of these things in a single day).

I often refer to it as being cold wet tired hungry and in pain at the same time, but your list is more likely and conclusive. One of the best things however is that thru all that you are still extremely happy. This changes everything, both on the trail and off as you then can enjoy all life no matter what it throws at you. A very very valuable talent.

Buffalo Skipper
10-20-2011, 15:15
This is a good post and an important thing for all prospective thru-hikers to consider. Even those of us who DO love thru-hiking have plenty of moments when we are just plain sick of it.

Just 2 weeks ago, I was reading a trail journal of Gadget on the CDT. He has already completed the PCT and the AT. He was in southern Colorado, and was having a low point, due to weather and other conditions. After completing 90+% of a triple crown, he was thinking of quitting and finishing some other year. He was like this for a few days, and then, with some support of another couple of thru hikers, snapped out of it, and will likely finish in 3 weeks or so. The point? Even a veteran, experienced and accomplished thru-hiker can get discouraged.

I have not yet attempted a thru (yet being the operative word). Back in 1976, my older brother thru hiked the AT with a friend. It was much lonlier then than it would be now. He and his friend were the last to summit Katadin before Baxter closed for the winter (that would have been 35 years ago to almost to the day). Even today, he still talks about how he wanted to quit sometimes. And with a 65+ lb pack, I can understand why. ;)

sbhikes
10-20-2011, 17:47
it involves being hot, sweaty, stinky, cold, freezing, miserable, blistered, cut up, sick, happy, lonely, bored, distracted, mentally and physically pushed way beyond your comfort zone, and sore as hell

This happens on long sections and short ones, too. If you don't enjoy this sort of thing, you either don't like backpacking or haven't done enough backpacking yet. It's called 2nd Order Fun.

Storm
10-20-2011, 17:58
Haven't done a thru hike yet, just a couple shorter hikes. Laurel Highlands Trail and Susquehannock Trail. I was miserable a few times on both hikes. One thing I learned was that I did get stronger as I went, which pleased me to no end, and also there was the satisfaction of completing them that really made me want to go hike some more. May never get another chance at a thru so I'm going to go into it with the intention of finishing.

Slo-go'en
10-20-2011, 18:34
Indeed. When planning a thru hike, one should also plan what you'd do if you decide to quit somewhere along the line. It could be the day after you start or nealy to Katahdin. After all, there's a 75% chance (more or less) that you will go home early.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 19:06
For every sunny day there will be three cloudy and/or rainy days. That is often said about a thruhike on the AT. The problem begins when folks realize that you won't necessarily only get three cloudy days in a row and then a sunny one, you may get nine rainy days in a row, one sunny one, then nine more rainy ones. I've only section hiked, but I've hiked in a week of steady rain, and it is demoralizing. Everything becomes wet and heavy, and your insulation layers won't warm you anymore. A thruhiker can go to a laundromat and dry his/her wet gear, but if the rain picks up the next day and continues for another week it's no fun. As with anything else, if the fun is more important than the challenge, you are not likely to finish. The family of thruhikers can do a long way to cheer each other up, but it can also do much to bring each other down. You must be committed to finishing, plain and simple, despite the odds.

Btw: The Approach trail at ASP is a bear. There are many more such climbs after it. As in anything, the thruhiker must ask "Is it worth it?." Hang in there and you will find out. Quit and you may never know. Take one day at a time and look for the silver linings behind the storm clouds and you just might make it. (I hope I can take my own advice after I retire and attempt my own thru). :)

IrishBASTARD
10-20-2011, 19:11
Its time money and alot of endurance and effort...things people dont have enough of these days. It will suck trying to thru but thats why its a challenge. Nothing truly earned by oneself is ever easy...life hapiness career. You work for those things as people will work and tru to finish a thru. Nothing worth doing right the first time...is ever easy to finish

Pedaling Fool
10-20-2011, 19:16
You probably won't like a thru-hike, but you'll love the memories.

4shot
10-20-2011, 19:39
one of the best quotes (and I don't remember who said this) was that a thru-hike was like pregnancy and childbirth. When you are in the middle of either you swear that you'll never do it again. Althouigh I have never been pregnant nor delivered a child (my wife has) I find myself wanting to do another thru-hike and I swore during my thru that I would never set foot on the trail again. In fact, I promised my feet if they would just get me to K once I'd never ever make them walk me and my pack up a hill again ever. I've already broken that promise as I did a short section hike again this year. My feet don't like the fact that I lied to them but hey, I remind that them life isn't always fair. Besides, they work for me and not vice versa. I do try to placate them by getting new shoes and socks on a regular basis. I'm really not into constant power struggles.

Pedaling Fool
10-20-2011, 19:55
one of the best quotes (and I don't remember who said this) was that a thru-hike was like pregnancy and childbirth. When you are in the middle of either you swear that you'll never do it again. Althouigh I have never been pregnant nor delivered a child (my wife has) I find myself wanting to do another thru-hike and I swore during my thru that I would never set foot on the trail again. In fact, I promised my feet if they would just get me to K once I'd never ever make them walk me and my pack up a hill again ever. I've already broken that promise as I did a short section hike again this year. My feet don't like the fact that I lied to them but hey, I remind that them life isn't always fair. Besides, they work for me and not vice versa. I do try to placate them by getting new shoes and socks on a regular basis. I'm really not into constant power struggles.
That sounds similar to a way I heard it described and I also don't remember the guy's name. But he likened it to smashing yourself in the head with a hammer...It hurts like hell, but it feels real good when you stop.:)

hikerboy57
10-20-2011, 20:03
thats a great analogy, as ive heard pregnancy has a certain amnesia attached to it regarding the pain of childbirth. I think you tend to remember the high points of your hike and the times you felt like quitting slowly become more distant memories.Given enough time and money, I have no doubt i could complete a thru hike, but most dont have the time and/or money. I finally got my boss to agree to give me 3 months leave to hike from springer to dwg. Ive never hiked more than 3 weeks at one time, so 3 months on the trail is a bit of a challenge in itself. My boss also understands he may recieve a call from me, depending on how I feel at dwg, telling him I need to finish what I started.but then again, do I set my goal for Katahdin or just for dwg?If I commit 100% to just do DWG, can I finish unless I committed to the whole trail from the outset?Ive dreamed of thru hiking the AT since I first stepped on it in 1976, but after meeting so many thrus in NH and ME that seemed anxious to finish and get back to their other lives, I had decided to break my hike into 2, but still crave the satisfaction I would get from completing a thru.

stranger
10-20-2011, 21:28
Everyone want to be an author....but very few people want to actually write a book - that's how I see it. I don't mind writing shorter books, say 500 miles : )

Different Socks
10-20-2011, 21:42
Best advice I ever give people when they say they want to thru the AT???---Do the PCT first instead, then the AT. I've known few people to stop the west hike b/c they weren't enjoying themselves, but I can name dozens that stopped their AT hikes just b/c it was nothing like they expected and it wasn't fun any more.

Different Socks
10-20-2011, 21:46
Best advice I ever give people when they say they want to thru the AT???---Do the PCT first instead, then the AT. I've known few people to stop the west hike b/c they weren't enjoying themselves, but I can name dozens that stopped their AT hikes just b/c it was nothing like they expected and it wasn't fun any more.
BTW, my thru on the AT was in 1992, and have since done 1800 miles of the PCT(all CA), the bottom 1/3 of the CDT, most of the Ice Age Trail, all of the Long Trail, all of the Ozark Highlands Trail, all of the Colorado Trail, and many more shorter trails. If I had given up after a day of hiking the AT when I was tired, sore, wet, dirty, stinky and hungry(sometimes all at the same time), I most likely would not have done all those other trails.
I'll be back on an AT thru within a few years and hopefully doing some others in the future as well.

4shot
10-21-2011, 06:22

That's interesting advice. A bit off topic from the thread, but can you elaborate on why fewer people quit the PCT? Your description infers that people enjoy that hike more (or maybe I am misinterpreting).

Don H
10-21-2011, 07:25
You probably won't like a thru-hike, but you'll love the memories.
I can relate to that! I was very happy to be done but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
A past thru-hiker told me that there are two types of people who finish a thru, those that love being on the trail everyday and wouldn't want to be anywhere else, and those that just refuse to quit. I was the latter.

Colter
10-21-2011, 07:54
...can you elaborate on why fewer people quit the PCT?

I think the completion rate for the PCT (http://hikethru.com/about-the-pct/thru-hike-success-rate)runs a little less than 40%.

The completion rate for the AT (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail) is probably something less than 25%.

I think it's likely that a significant factor in the difference is that more PCT hikers have already completed a thru-hike, usually the A.T.

Jim Adams
10-21-2011, 09:24
I am weird with this whole topic...I hate hiking, never do it usually or do very little unless I am thru hiking. I LOVE THRU HIKING! Sure I have low points and think about quiting during a thru...I think everyone does but the key is to get your head together and realize why you liked it so much that you did it in the first place. I have thru'd the AT twice and loved it. I attempted the PCT once and got as far as Yosemete going nobo. The Sierra's were the prettiest place that I have ever been and I want to go back and do Oregon, Washington and the JMT again but I will never go back to southern Cali...I didn't have fun there and it just became a daily struggle. To me the PCT was far easier to hike than the AT but was much more mental to deal with...the only trail that made me give up mentally.

geek

Tinker
10-21-2011, 09:39
Interesting statics about completion percentages - PCT vs. AT. It seems logical that many folks probably assume that the AT is easier because the elevations are lower and resupply points are generally much closer together. I guess that a lot of folks don't consider the crowded nature of a NOBO hike, the steepness of the climbs, nor the weather before they head out.
As Wes Wisson told Bill Bryson, "I guess it wasn't what they expected", and "Who knows, elevators, maybe?".

Tinker
10-21-2011, 09:44
Duplicate post deleted

burger
10-21-2011, 11:35
I think the completion rate for the PCT (http://hikethru.com/about-the-pct/thru-hike-success-rate)runs a little less than 40%.
I don't believe that for one second. It was based on a sample of just 45 trail journals--way too small to get a good estimate, and who knows if there's a difference in completion rates for those with and without online journals.

My guess for the PCT would be more like 50-60%. I think that 15 hikers started the same day I did. 11 finished.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 14:29

The completion rate for the AT (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail) is probably something less than 25%.

I think it's likely that a significant factor in the difference is that more PCT hikers have already completed a thru-hike, usually the A.T.

I don't believe that for one second. It was based on a sample of just 45 trail journals--way too small to get a good estimate, and who knows if there's a difference in completion rates for those with and without online journals.

My guess for the PCT would be more like 50-60%. I think that 15 hikers started the same day I did. 11 finished.

Um, so based upon your own observation that a sample size of 45 is way too small to get a good estimate, how is a your sample size of 15 hikers better / more representative? :confused:

Colter
10-21-2011, 14:34

Do you think your sample of 15 is more accurate than the sample of 45?

This study tried to look at every thru-hike attempt from 94-01 These data show nearly a 40% success rate (http://pct-hike.randsco.com/Planning/thruHikers.htm).

I just went through the 2010 PCT journals at trailjournals.com. According to my tally it looked like of about 74 people who attempted a thru-hike, 29 reported finishing for a 39% completion rate.

Different Socks
10-21-2011, 15:18
To answer your question about why I tell people to do the PCT rather than the AT: The AT in my opinion was much tougher than the PCT. Many people tend to think that just b/c the PCT goes thru western mtns that it will be tougher than the AT. Not at all true. There is less rain and the trail has to accommodate horses and mules, thereby the grade of the trail is less. It might take a longer distance to get to the next road crossing, but since the grade is easier the trail is then done quicker. I'd rather do 12-14 miles at a PCT grade than 10 miles at an AT grade.

Now if you want to know if you can handle the AT on a thru but need some practice and knowledge of what it will be like, then I also suggest that people do the Long Trail first. That trail is even worse than the AT. There are places on the LT where I'd swear it was built for monkeys b/c of the roots, boulders, slabs of rock etc that have to be negotiated around, over and thru to get where you are going. It you can handle the 250+ miles of the LT on a thruhike, then I'd say you are ready for the AT and any other trail.

Spokes
10-21-2011, 15:51
..... this post is not meant to discourage people from thru-hiking, it's to encourage people to realistically consider the challenges along with the potential rewards.

How can wanna-be thru hikers realistically consider the challenges of doing a thru hike when almost all the pictures (and video) posted on the trail journals of active thru's show only the "smiles and good times"?

You hardly ever see a picture of a thru when they're wet and miserable after spending 4 days in constant cold rain.

Different Socks
10-21-2011, 16:04
How can wanna-be thru hikers realistically consider the challenges of doing a thru hike when almost all the pictures (and video) posted on the trail journals of active thru's show only the "smiles and good times"?

You hardly ever see a picture of a thru when they're wet and miserable after spending 4 days in constant cold rain.
I've taken pictures at all times, no matter how tired, sore, hungry, wet, stinky, or dirty I was. Ask me to be a friend on facebook and you can look at some of the pics on my wall shots. There is one where i am filtering water from a tiny stream on the CDT. I am dirty, sweaty, got a raccoon face from being sunburned, and it was an overcast day. And that's just one of 100's of "real" trail shots.

Different Socks
10-21-2011, 16:05
I've taken pictures at all times, no matter how tired, sore, hungry, wet, stinky, or dirty I was. Ask me to be a friend on facebook and you can look at some of the pics on my wall shots. There is one where i am filtering water from a tiny stream on the CDT. I am dirty, sweaty, got a raccoon face from being sunburned, and it was an overcast day. And that's just one of 100's of "real" trail shots.

BTW, as long as it's not poring rain, I take pics whenever I can.

Cookerhiker
10-21-2011, 17:30
one of the best quotes (and I don't remember who said this) was that a thru-hike was like pregnancy and childbirth. When you are in the middle of either you swear that you'll never do it again. Althouigh I have never been pregnant nor delivered a child (my wife has) I find myself wanting to do another thru-hike and I swore during my thru that I would never set foot on the trail again. .....

thats a great analogy, as ive heard pregnancy has a certain amnesia attached to it regarding the pain of childbirth. I think you tend to remember the high points of your hike and the times you felt like quitting slowly become more distant memories.....

Jan LiteShoe said that in her prize-winning book The Ordinary Adventurer.

Spokes
10-21-2011, 17:32
.....There is one where i am filtering water from a tiny stream on the CDT. I am dirty, sweaty, got a raccoon face from being sunburned, and it was an overcast day. And that's just one of 100's of "real" trail shots.

Are you smiling back at the camera?

If not, you're one of the few people who aren't conditioned to flash your pearly whites when a camera is pointed in your face. I salute you.

Echraide
10-21-2011, 18:11
It's really one of those things where you don't know until you're doing it. I was told over and over that there would be days when I hated it, when I wanted to leave the trail, and I was given all of these complicated formulas and strategies for how to evaluate when it's time to leave the trail, blah blah blah. I never hated thruhiking and never for one minute wanted to end it. Even on the hardest days I was grateful as heck to be out there and not sitting behind a desk somewhere. I wished it could have gone on for ever. When I set foot on the A.T. for my thruhike it was the first time I had ever hiked for more than one or two nights, too.

You just don't know until you do it.

Colter
10-21-2011, 19:22

I think people need to read between the lines like we often have to do in life when communicating with people. I think there are at least three major reasons for the photos favoring the good times rather than the miserable times. It's human nature to want to remember, and record, the best times of our lives. Also photography is usually better on nice days rather than dreary, foggy days. Lastly, there are times when a person is too cold or too tired to want to mess with taking photos.

Which is harder, the PCT or the AT? The At. The PCT. Neither. Both. They are each more difficult in their own way and they are each easier in their own way. People vary on what we struggle with. Some seasons are much tougher than others. A thru-hike is physical AND mental, and more people get off the trail for emotional reasons rather than physical reasons.

Mags
10-21-2011, 19:41
I am weird with this whole topic...I hate hiking, never do it usually or do very little unless I am thru hiking.

I think many thru-hikers fall into this category. It is amazing how many former thru-hikers do not hike unless it is a mutli-week (or more) backpack. The community, the long journey and probably other factors all contribute to why some people need a thru-hike, to, well hike. :)

Me? I just love being outside. Backpacking is my first and deepest love but day hikes, backcountry skiing, climbing and even camping during the off seasons (with hiking mixed in) all help give me my outdoor fix.

re: higher percentage of people finishing the PCT

I think, generally, the people who start the PCT are more experienced backpackers overall. Be it a long hike or otherwise. The PCT is also less known so people who do the PCT have tended to do their research. The AT, being so well known, attracts people who may attempt it on a lark more so than its less well known cousin.

All this is just a guess, mind you. :)

sbhikes
10-21-2011, 20:41
Here's a picture I took so I could remember how mad I was at the weather. This is a picture of the breathtaking view of Mt. Ranier from Blowout Mountain on the PCT in Washington. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.

I have never hiked the AT except for a day hike to Blood Mountain from Neel Gap. I have heard the trail is a lot steeper than the PCT. I didn't think the little bit of the AT that I did was particularly steep or difficult. It was a lot like the trails I hike on at home. I was frustrated with the PCT at first because of how it takes it's sweet time to get anywhere.

Recently I hiked a section with my boyfriend. We were doing the part where you descend from San Jacinto down to the water faucet on Snow Creek. I knew what to expect. Seriously, trail crews were paid by the mile here. I had to really keep myself from laughing at his temper tantrums about the trail. At one point he stomped his feet like a little child and sat down refusing to go any further. God it was hard not to laugh. I was SOOO there when I was on my big solo hike. Welcome to the hazing that is the PCT! Sing it loud: If you can't be with the trail you love, honey love the trail you're with! 2663 miles of the PCT's bad behavior beats all the expectations out of you.

If you can't let go of expectations, you will go home.

Blue Jay
10-21-2011, 21:13
I never hated thruhiking and never for one minute wanted to end it. Even on the hardest days I was grateful as heck to be out there and not sitting behind a desk somewhere. I wished it could have gone on for ever. When I set foot on the A.T. for my thruhike it was the first time I had ever hiked for more than one or two nights, too.

You just don't know until you do it.

I agree completely. I clearly remember running thru the swamp in Mass. out of water on a very hot day, getting eaten alive by bugs, my sleeping bag falling out of my pack and hitting me in the legs. All I could think about was, this is much better than working, but I'll sure be glad to get out of this swamp.

DapperD
10-21-2011, 22:12

The title is meant to get people's attention, but this post is not meant to discourage people from thru-hiking, it's to encourage people to realistically consider the challenges along with the potential rewards.One of the best articles I have ever read about long distance hiking was written by Cindy Ross, aptly entitled "Long Dreams, Short Reality":http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&dq=long+dreams,+short+reality&hl=en&ei=sSOiTquzA6rj0QHC28iBBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=long dreams%2C short reality&f=false

Leanthree
10-22-2011, 03:09
One of the best articles I have ever read about long distance hiking was written by Cindy Ross, aptly entitled "Long Dreams, Short Reality":http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&dq=long+dreams,+short+reality&hl=en&ei=sSOiTquzA6rj0QHC28iBBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=long dreams%2C short reality&f=false (http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&dq=long+dreams,+short+reality&hl=en&ei=sSOiTquzA6rj0QHC28iBBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=long%20dreams%2C%20short%20reality&f=false)

2 things from that article. One, on the mental challenges it raises good points. But two, the world was an amazing place before the internet and modern gear. The thought of referencing a book, even one as good as Colin Fletcher's, for a gear decision is so foreign.

stranger
10-22-2011, 03:44
Another huge factor on the AT must be the f'ing rain, I mean c'mon people, the PCT? How many days of rain do you see in California? What's that, 1750 miles or so...this is an absolute, huge advantage of the PCT. Granted, you get all the rain you can handle soon thereafter, but having that window, combined with the much easier terrain in places, and generally more experienced hikers - gives you a much higher completion rate.

I'm not saying there are not other challenges, heat, lack of water, snow in the Sierra's, but for a newbie to head down to Springer in late March could 'easily' mean rain 4-5 days per week, rain knocks more people off the trail in my experience than any other factor. It's just worded differently, like 'wasn't what I expected', which often means = I didn't expect to be soaking wet everyday and huddling together in dirty shelters with 17 other hikers.

I have never done a long hike on the PCT so I accept this view may be incorrect, however it does seem in line with the views of about 6-7 people I know who've done both the AT and PCT.

Del Q
10-22-2011, 09:53
Today I am a section hiker, I do find that after 5 days or so I really get into the rhythm of hiking and my woods sense, regardless of the weather, trail conditions, etc.........its all just putting one foot in front of the other, going at your own pace, and not giving up, mentally or physically. Typically after 10-12 days I am ready to get back to work and my responsibilities, but short of work and life requirements right now, I would like to expand to 30 day trips then possibly some thru hiking. The logistics and time to get from Philly to the trail head is taking a lot longer.

Have hiked from Bland, VA to Franconia Notch (Skipped Vermont this fall, will be back next Oct assuming no hurricanes or other natural disasters), Long Trail, PCT and CDT will be even more challenging to get to and from and will necessitate longer trips overall.

Unless my wife starts joining me I could not see being apart for 4-6 months. What would she do without me???

Moose2001
10-22-2011, 10:02
PCT easier than the AT? Interesting thought. Let's see.....on the AT, I never carried 8 liters of water in 100 degree temps. I never crossed a 13000 foot pass. I never walked for miles on snow fields or carried an ice axe. I never forded a stream that was nipple high and running really fast (although that is possible in ME!). I never carried 8 days of food on the AT.

The year I did the PCT, at least 95% of the hikers I met were previous thrus. If 50% of them finished, that means 50% quit. Doesn't sound very easy to me!

sbhikes
10-22-2011, 13:47
PCT easier than the AT? Interesting thought. Let's see.....on the AT, I never carried 8 liters of water in 100 degree temps.
I never did this on the PCT.

I never crossed a 13000 foot pass.
This really isn't a big deal. It's just walking.

never walked for miles on snow fields or carried an ice axe.
I didn't do this. I had no ice axe and never walked for miles on snow fields. Of course, I didn't hike this year. I think the miles of snow fields might have been easier to deal with than the patches of giant sun cups I dealt with. I never could get any rhythm or stay on the trail. You don't have to stay on the trail quite so much in endless snowfields.

I never forded a stream that was nipple high and running really fast (although that is possible in ME!).
Okay, I crossed a couple placid streams over my head (swam across) and yeah, it sucks.

I never carried 8 days of food on the AT.

I never carried 8 days of food on the PCT. Those who do, do so by choice. You can hike two days from Kennedy Meadows and go out to Lone Pine for a resupply. Hike a few more days and go out to Independence for a resupply. Hike a few more days and go to MTR or VVR for a resupply. A few more to Reds Meadow and Mammoth Lakes for a resupply. Most people don't want to get off the trail so much and they've been looking forward to a long remote stretch away from civilization so it's mostly choice.

Colter
10-22-2011, 14:43
(In reference to 13,000 foot Forester Pass)

This really isn't a big deal. It's just walking...

It can be, or it can be a potentially fatal fall down a 600+ foot icy chute. Check out this short youtube clip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0jelS7C8Y) Only part of the chute is visible. Once you built up speed it could be really, really ugly, but definitely safely doable if a person uses good judgment.

4shot
10-22-2011, 15:38
The year I did the PCT, at least 95% of the hikers I met were previous thrus. If 50% of them finished, that means 50% quit. Doesn't sound very easy to me!

Interesting piece of data...if "success rate" is 40% PCT vs. 25% AT it suggests or implies that the PCT is significantly "easier" (maybe not a good choice of words but I'm lazy). However if 95% of hikers are successful thru hikers of the AT or CDT or similar trails and only 50% of them complete the PCT, that suggests a "difficulty factor" of almost 2X the AT!!! :eek: Suggesting that if "newbie" thruhikers started in....(wherever the PCT starts) vs. Springer or K, the completion rate would be on the order of 10 -12%. wow. This is contradictory to other anecdotal data in this thread. (Of course, I realize people can have different experiences on the same trail. BTW, I am an engineer so I like data and statistical analysis.

again, not to thread hijack but I am interested in more opinions from those who have actually thru'd on both (at, PCT) trails.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2011, 17:21
(In reference to 13,000 foot Forester Pass)

It can be, or it can be a potentially fatal fall down a 600+ foot icy chute. Check out this short youtube clip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0jelS7C8Y)Only part of the chute is visible. Once you built up speed it could be really, really ugly, but definitely safely doable if a person uses good judgment.I don't think the absolute elevation has that much to do with trail safety other than perhaps respiration. I'd be willing to wager there are just as many places, and probably more, on the AT in NH and ME where a bad fall would likely be fatal. Add that you don't really have to fall very far to die. 600 ft, 60 ft, or 6 ft - it's more a matter of what part of your body (head, vital organ, etc) hits what (rocks kind of suck and that's pretty much all we got).

Jim Adams
10-22-2011, 17:47
I only did the PCT from Campo to Yosemite but I only carried 8 liters of water for 1/2 day until I was shown the easier way to do it...same with food. I never had any chest deep water crossings. As far as terrain, slope, weather, danger, trail bed, the PCT was far easier than the AT and the worst snow that I was in was on the AT...on both thru hikes. The only thing that I found harder on the PCT was the distance to resupply.

geek

Colter
10-22-2011, 20:19
I don't think the absolute elevation has that much to do with trail safety other than perhaps respiration. I'd be willing to wager there are just as many places, and probably more, on the AT in NH and ME where a bad fall would likely be fatal. Add that you don't really have to fall very far to die. 600 ft, 60 ft, or 6 ft - it's more a matter of what part of your body (head, vital organ, etc) hits what (rocks kind of suck and that's pretty much all we got).

I was just trying to counter the statement that Forester Pass is "just walking," but beyond that there is a great deal of difference between falling 6 feet and 600 feet.

DapperD
10-22-2011, 20:21
One of the best articles I have ever read about long distance hiking was written by Cindy Ross, aptly entitled "Long Dreams, Short Reality":http://books.google.com/books?id=7-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA58&dq=long+dreams,+short+reality&hl=en&ei=sSOiTquzA6rj0QHC28iBBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=long dreams%2C short reality&f=false

2 things from that article. One, on the mental challenges it raises good points. But two, the world was an amazing place before the internet and modern gear. The thought of referencing a book, even one as good as Colin Fletcher's, for a gear decision is so foreign.Yeah, pretty much now with the internet available, it is so much easier to learn online from other's experiences and about gear, etc...pretty much I just wanted to present the article as I felt it really explained that unless one is going to totally commit to a long distance hike, both mentally and physically, then they most likely will not be able to complete it in one attempt. I think many who attempt a thru-hike, or many that dream of one day doing a thru-hike, like myself, may not fully appreciate the sacrifice that one will need to make in order for it to be a reality and in order for it to be successful. There is no doubt that it is going to be a massive challenge: the distance to be covered, the ruggedness of the terrain, the challenge of the weather, physical and mental exhaustion, etc...all combine to work against the hiker. Add to that outside worry, if any, such as one's loved ones, their home, their job, etc...all of this can cause one to cut their hike short. However, if one truly enjoys being out there, and they have the time and funds to do it, and are willing to sacrifice and persevere, then they may then have the ability to be successful barring any uncontrollable hike ending sickness or injury.

4shot
10-22-2011, 21:26
. I think many who attempt a thru-hike, or many that dream of one day doing a thru-hike, like myself, may not fully appreciate the sacrifice that one will need to make in order for it to be a reality and in order for it to be successful.

anybody who has ever thought about thru-hiking should try it once in their life imo. I did everything possible to get my mind around it beforehand but it's a somewhat like sex or being a parent, if I may be a bit forward here , it must be experienced to fully comprehend...nothing that you read or hear about can fully explain it until you have done it yourself.

Malto
11-02-2011, 21:29
Unfortunately I know that snow chute on Forester all too well. The steps across the chute turned to slush and crumbled when I walked across. Fortunately, I was able to self arrest after sliding ten feet down the chute and chop steps back over to the starting point. (There I cleaned out my pants!)

This thread is a great topic. I think many are attracted to the romance of the trail and haven't thought much about whether they like to walk all day everyday. I live 50 from Springer and hike the GA section early season when the thrus come thru. Some of them are the most miserable looking folks, out of shape and carrying 100lb packs. It didn't look the least bit enjoyable watching them climb the many hills of N GA. The folks of the PCT on average seemed to be better prepared for the journey, very likely due to the large number of hikers with previous long trail experience.

As far as 40% completion, nobody can really give a good number because there is no way to track the hikers, many gaining or changing trail names or simply not signing registers. I know this year will be lucky to see 20%, likely less if you remove the ones that skipped sections along the way but this was a low year.

Which trail is harder? I haven't thru hiked the AT but have hiked hundreds of miles of the southern section. Mile for mile I found the AT tougher but nothing on the AT will compare with the hundreds of miles of snow and raging stream crossings that I went through on the PCT. My feet and shoes were wet from June 14th until July 18th and for many days after that. And yes the weather was better than anything on the AT, I set up my tarp three nights and had rain one day the whole trip. And there also is no section of the PCT that has 11000 of elevation gain in 34 miles like the AT does in GA. So bottom line, both Trails have their challenges but equally they both have an incredible reward.

kayak karl
11-02-2011, 21:59
the longest i like to do is 60 days, 30 if on the water. just a mental thing.

coheterojo
11-03-2011, 09:21
I sure saw a lot of people who did not enjoy themselves on their attempted thru-hikes while I enjoyed the heck out of both of mine. I have yet to hike any of the other long trails but I know I want to. The only thing stopping me is being completely and utterly broke. I just know I enjoy long distance hiking. I just love being outside. Any type of hiking is great but I revel in the feel I get after a week or so on the Trail, when my legs are unstoppable, the birds are my alarm clock and all I need is on my back. It simply doesn't get any better!
So many people I met on the AT were actually doing their hikes with no prior hiking or camping experience. Many were horribly equipped and suffering for it. Most of those folks went by the wayside quickly. Others changed their gear, figured out the footwear issue and moved on with the hike. I can't remember how many times I heard people say "It's not what I expected." But then there are those who, like me, revel in every second of it.

Hasta la proxima,

El Flaco
Death March 2010 - AT NOBO 4/21-9/15
Hiker Trash Tour 2011 - AT NOBO 4/03 - 9/20

Nutbrown
11-03-2011, 09:36
A friend thru hiked a few years ago. When I saw him the next spring, he said ..."if you want to thru hike, first, stick an ice pick into your ear, crank it around a few times, then pull it out. If you still want to thru after that, go for it, because that's what it feels like."

I'm still thinking about it. :)

Creek Dancer
11-03-2011, 16:02
A good friend of mine, who attempted a thru hike, loved thru-hiking the AT. He just grew to dislike the hiking part.

4shot
11-06-2011, 12:01
A good friend of mine, who attempted a thru hike, loved thru-hiking the AT. He just grew to dislike the hiking part.

very similar to one guy I heard somewhere in no.Va. He got off in HF. He said he "loved the trail, he just hated backpacking". that reminds of the many people you run into who enjoy their paychecks but don't like to actually do any work.

GSUCorey
11-06-2011, 17:49
I am currently planning my thru hike right now for a departure date of feb 25 and I love reading these posts because I have been trying my best to understand that this trip will not be all sunshine and rainbows the whole time. But it has been on my bucket list for over 10 years now and I told myself that when I finished grad school that I would make an attempt at it. I have already decided that my goal is of course the big K but if i only make it a day or two, I will still be satisfied because despite all of the reasons that I should not take the trip....knee surgery, no money, no job....ha, I am still trying something I have always dreamed about. Reading all of these comments makes me realize that if I am blessed enough to push all the way through to the end of the trail, it will be and experience that will stay with me forever! I can't wait to live out my dream and go on the adventure of a lifetime!!!

Colter
11-16-2011, 08:28
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain. Vivian Greene

A friend of mine has this quote on her wall. I think it's especially appropriate for thru-hiking. Enjoying the trip is partially about how we are naturally wired, and how adaptable we are.

4shot
11-17-2011, 21:23
Man, I hated my thru hike. I spend my time thinking about doing it again.

DBT fan
11-18-2011, 00:39
If it was fun everyone would be doing it. But everyone has their own idea of fun.

Bat321
11-18-2011, 01:18
Prepare for the boredom. I read a lot and have very intellectual friends in the real world. I missed that on the trail. My solution in 2012 is to bring and buy lots of mp3 audio books. If I keep my mind going my body will follow.

AndyB
11-18-2011, 11:37
pretty sure I won't do another AT thru...actually I know I won't..I wonder if proximity to home has anything to do with it. Doesn't 75% of the Trail look just like what you see nearly every day? Getting home from the CDT or PCT would be harder (for east coast folks) than say having someone drive 6 hours to pick you up. Just a thought..
I'm impressed it still has a 75% dropout rate, has that ever changed? Faster, lighter gear and computer technology has changed it that much I guess.

Andy
I think I get more enjoyment out of short hikes, but there's a lot of satisfaction in a 2100 mile one too

Feral Nature
11-18-2011, 11:40
If it was fun everyone would be doing it. But everyone has their own idea of fun.

Nice quote.

bamboo bob
11-18-2011, 13:28
The best part of a thru hike is having done it. Actually doing it is definitely less so.