PDA

View Full Version : Blaze Orange

Tinker
10-20-2011, 17:05
Just a reminder:

I did a search and didn't find the above words in a title, so I decided to post a reminder to those going into the woods to make sure they have at least the minimum blaze orange showing on their clothing for the state that they're hiking in (hint: more is always better). Make sure your children and pets are sporting some of the hideous neon as well.

Be safe!

atmilkman
10-20-2011, 17:18
Good idea. I'm gonna be on the trail this weekend. Even though gun season here isn't until Nov. 15 the bowhunters are out right now. Granted when hunting with a bow you need to be very sure of your target (I'm a bowhunter myself, gave up guns eons ago) you just can't be sure and you never know. So, I'm gonna have my orange on. Better safe than sorry.

1azarus
10-20-2011, 17:24
sierra trading post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks-hvac-infiniti-mesh-hat-for-men-and-women~p~4109j/ has a sweet orange running hat with a nice long brim. nicely adjustable, light, fast drying... and so seasonal! thanks for the reminder...

Tinker
10-20-2011, 17:40
sierra trading post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks-hvac-infiniti-mesh-hat-for-men-and-women~p~4109j/ has a sweet orange running hat with a nice long brim. nicely adjustable, light, fast drying... and so seasonal! thanks for the reminder...

Good find! Too bad I have the clunky hunter insulated one already! :(

Ladytrekker
10-20-2011, 19:22
I wear Gator orange while hiking in Florida. I have a great blaze orange UF visor and now that it is hiking weather in Florida it is also mass hunting season in the best hiking areas. Plus I always carry bandannas for use for everything I get bright colors and hang them on the outside of my pack for ease of use and easy to see. I'm going anyway.

Sierra Echo
10-20-2011, 19:34
I have a blaze orange bandana I hang on the back of my pack where I can't see it. I hate the color orange. It makes me angry! :mad:

Different Socks
10-20-2011, 20:42
In other words, I have to wear hunter orange b/c they are not 100% sure I should be fired upon??!! LMAO!!

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place.

Bear Cables
10-20-2011, 20:51
Got my blaze orange cap, blaze orange pack cover and caution light yellow/orange shirt. Also bringing a hot pink thermal shirt. There are three of us hiking and we will be a noisy neon rainbow!

Tinker
10-20-2011, 20:53
In other words, I have to wear hunter orange b/c they are not 100% sure I should be fired upon??!! LMAO!!

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place.

A previous poster pointed out that bow hunters (generally the folks out hunting in most states as of this post) will not shoot unless they are sure of a good shot (an arrow broadhead makes a much smaller hole than a bullet, and they want to make sure thay don't have to track a wounded animal for miles through the brush). There is practically no chance that a bowhunter will shoot you (accidentally, that is). Otoh, someone with a rifle or shotgun may shoot you because you were beyond their intended target and they overshot it. Blaze orange would no doubt help in that situation.
Another reason that more folks are shot accidentally by firearms than bows is that each shot is potentially more expensive for the bow hunter as he may break a broadhead, arrow shaft or nock if he misses a shot. Arrows are expensive!!!

TrilliumTrekker
10-20-2011, 20:55
Walmart has in the hunting section blaze orange baseball style caps for only $3. They are logo, writing, and camo free. Just what you want when you don't really want one. Need is not the same as want. So I bought it.

johnnybgood
10-20-2011, 21:02

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place. I agree DS, but trigger happy hunters mistake hikers every year and while I don't dwell on such misfortunes maybe wearing a little something orange like a bandana or a bright colored cap could save your life as well as your family from heartache.

Sarcasm the elf
10-20-2011, 22:25

I used to think the same thing, however my opinion of this has changed because of conversations I've had with hunters over the last few years. The long and short of these conversations is that in addition to blaze orange helping us stand out for our own sake, it is also a courtesy to the hunters. They like to know when other people are around for everyone's safety and even though the hunters I've talked to never had an incident, just the thought of accidentally looking at a human through their scopes is WAY to close for comfort for them.

jersey joe
10-20-2011, 22:54
Yes, wearing orange while hiking is under-rated for sure. I would strongly recommend making yourself as visable as possible to hunters.

Different Socks
10-21-2011, 00:00
I used to think the same thing, however my opinion of this has changed because of conversations I've had with hunters over the last few years. The long and short of these conversations is that in addition to blaze orange helping us stand out for our own sake, it is also a courtesy to the hunters. They like to know when other people are around for everyone's safety and even though the hunters I've talked to never had an incident, just the thought of accidentally looking at a human through their scopes is WAY to close for comfort for them.
I've talked with hunters also and too many have said that when it comes to a animal they want, they don't think sometimes....they just raise the weapon and shoot.
Case in point, many years ago in Maine, a man admitted at trial they when he saw the white of the tail, he raised his weapon and shot in that direction. The result was that b/c he was way too close to a home, he shot a woman to death whom had been wearing white mittens, what apparently he thought was a white tail of a deer. Not only was he acquitted despite admitting negligence, but then a law was passed by the state that if you are out during hunting season and you are not a hunter, YOU MUST WEAR BLAZE ORANGE!!!
In other words, the man killed someone, but it was the non-hunters and the woman's life/family that suffered from it, not the hunters whom caused this tragedy.

Doc Mike
10-21-2011, 08:05

Ignorance especially the last section.

Different Socks
10-21-2011, 10:33
Ignorance especially the last section.

Ignorance by me or the hunters?

Doc Mike
10-21-2011, 11:05
You, not wearing orange because its their responsibility to look for you is liking crossing the street without looking both ways.

Sickmont
10-21-2011, 13:18
You, not wearing orange because its their responsibility to look for you is liking crossing the street without looking both ways.

Well said, Doc. Well said.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 13:35
Here's a parallel. It might not be the other driver's fault if the non-seatbelt wearing driver of a car involved in an accident is thrown from the car and expires (even if the other driver was driving recklessly, drunk, and on the wrong side of the road). The accident may be his fault, but the outcome may be the fault of the anti-seatbelt driver. I hear this locally every week ..........driver thrown from vehicle, dead at scene.
Different Socks may not like hunting or hunters, but it's not THEM who will be impacted if you get shot.
Losing a little pride (for all of us) might do a little good. Just think of those who you will leave behind when you think that safety doesn't matter.
Please take care of yourself-for their sakes.

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 13:46

I highly recommend you stay away from NY/NJ during the first week of hunting season.
or wear orange.

ki0eh
10-21-2011, 15:30
Can someone explain why NOT to wear visible orange in the Eastern woods in October, November, December, and May? If looking at orange bothers you, wear a hat, you won't see it.

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 15:39
several years ago I was hiking in Harriman IN MARCH, and as I came up over a ridge, i noticed some movement and about 2oo yards away I saw a man in camos with his rifle raised toward me. I was wearing a white t shirt and light tan pants, wved my arms slowly so he could see ME and shouted a loud hello for there to be no mistake. I realized that flash of white t shirt had captured his attention, and i felt lucky he hadnt shot.It certainly wasnt hunting season, I would have confronted him, but then again, he was breaking the law and he was the one with the gun. I backed off down the ridge and returned the way I had come.
if i hike during hunting season, iwera an blaze orange cap.id rathr be safe.

tiptoe
10-21-2011, 15:47
Several years ago, I took a hike one misty fall day on the AT near Pawling, NY. Outbound I saw two gun hunters, a really weird shelter caretaker, and one "normal" guy. Heading back to the car, I saw Mr. Normal again. He came up to me, showed me a 10-inch-long knife he had found, and asked me if it was mine! Too funny. Almost back to the car, I encountered another hunter who asked me if I had seen a wounded deer (again, no). He warned me that his buddy in full camo garb was sitting iin a tree about 40 yards down the trail. By this time light was beginning to fail, so I made lots of noise as I walked, hoping I would live to reach my car. Ever since then, I haven't done much hiking in hunting season, blaze orange or not. It's just too creepy.

Leanthree
10-21-2011, 19:17
Anytime I can do something easy to avoid being shot, I take advantage. Blaze Orange, declining employment with the mexican drug cartels, and avoiding the bronx all qualify.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2011, 21:00
I've talked with hunters also and too many have said that when it comes to a animal they want, they don't think sometimes....they just raise the weapon and shoot.
Case in point, many years ago in Maine, a man admitted at trial they when he saw the white of the tail, he raised his weapon and shot in that direction. The result was that b/c he was way too close to a home, he shot a woman to death whom had been wearing white mittens, what apparently he thought was a white tail of a deer. Not only was he acquitted despite admitting negligence, but then a law was passed by the state that if you are out during hunting season and you are not a hunter, YOU MUST WEAR BLAZE ORANGE!!!
In other words, the man killed someone, but it was the non-hunters and the woman's life/family that suffered from it, not the hunters whom caused this tragedy.

Hunters are people. And like all people, including hikers, there are intelligent ones, average ones, and really really stupid ones. No person of normal intelligence shoots at something without knowing what it is, or having a reasonable shot at the kill zone. But there is the possibility of a few really stupid individuals that might. In many places today you must COUNT THE POINTS first on the deers head to even know if its a legal deer to take.

A bigger problem is the human mind. The human mind trys to fill in gaps, it looks for patterns in trying to identify things. What it cannot see, IT CREATES in order to do this. It will see what it WANTS to see if you stare at something long enough. Look for animals in clouds for example, you can come up with really absurd stuff, but once you see it, its there. A hunter that sees a patch of brown or white moving behind bushes, etc can be fooled by his own mind into seeing things that arent there, the outline of a deers back, the twitching of ears. Branches for antlers, etc. If you stare at bushes and shadows long enough, just like clouds, you can see anything you try to in them, guaranteed. The farther the distance and the poorer the lighting, the easier it is.

If you are in an area with hunting occurring, it is to protect YOU that you wear blaze orange. The law cannot tell you at all what to wear on private property if you are not hunting. On public lands, or private lands that are controlled or administered by government agencies,and permit hunting, then yes they can require you to display the same orange that hunters do, and they should. The idea that non-hunters "suffer" from this is absurd.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2011, 21:16
A related question, why is it that blaze orange is the only color people are told to wear. I know that this may be the color that hunters most commonly expect to see, but a lot of running/biking clothing has changed over to neon green. This color is far more obnoxiously bright than any blaze orange cloths I've seen for sale and I've noticed that a lot of construction companies and D.O.T. employees have changed over to this color for clothing and safety vests.

Is there any reason to go with blaze orange over the neon green during hunting season?

bummer72
10-21-2011, 21:31
IN the state of Pennsylvania, on State Game Lands (much of which the AT traverses), it is required to wear florescent (blaze) orange as cut/pasted below:

State game lands are public hunting grounds and lawful hunting and
trapping are permitted during open seasons. To enable the Commission to
effectively manage and protect these invaluable land holdings for this and
future generations of hunters, trappers and wildlife enthusiasts, the following
activities are prohibited:.....
Except on Sundays, to be present on state game lands from Nov. 15
through Dec.15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or
trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of
fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined,
or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. Orange
material must be visible 360 degrees. Persons using shooting ranges
are exempted.

Papa D
10-21-2011, 21:43
yep - the gun toting rednecks are out in force right now - lots of them are not very smart - wear something bright - I wear a lime green hat a lot these days - haven't been shot at (yet)

ki0eh
10-21-2011, 22:00
Is there any reason to go with blaze orange over the neon green during hunting season?

Because hunters are required to take a hunter safety course (generally only once) when they get their license, and those courses teach that human = orange.

oops56
10-21-2011, 22:08
i like to shoot at green tress not orange ones

Ladytrekker
10-21-2011, 23:41
I live in North Florida and hunting around here is a religion. You got your FLA necks I mean hunters sitting in deer stands after a long night of beer drinking wearing their camo gear washed in no scent soap and wondering how the deer could possibly smell them could it be the stench of their hangovers and the two packs of cigarettes with smoke halo encircling them. I don't want to put all my trust in them that they won't pull the trigger on any that moves.

Different Socks
10-22-2011, 00:35
I live in North Florida and hunting around here is a religion. You got your FLA necks I mean hunters sitting in deer stands after a long night of beer drinking wearing their camo gear washed in no scent soap and wondering how the deer could possibly smell them could it be the stench of their hangovers and the two packs of cigarettes with smoke halo encircling them. I don't want to put all my trust in them that they won't pull the trigger on any that moves.

Good point!! maybe I'll change mind about wearing something that's blaze orange.

FatMan
10-22-2011, 18:54
Firearms season started today here in GA. Saw about 20 hikers out on the trail today. I was the only one wearing blaze orange.

Different Socks
10-22-2011, 19:21
Firearms season started today here in GA. Saw about 20 hikers out on the trail today. I was the only one wearing blaze orange.

I thought hunters have to wear blaze orange so they don't shoot each other?

Different Socks
10-22-2011, 19:24
Just saw another story about 67 yr old hunter with his very young grandson. Old guy saw movement in a nearby group of bushes and assumed it was a bear, lifted his gun and fired.........marine corp guy was hit by bullet and is now dead.
I just don't get it! Why shoot at anything that you would "assume" is an animal?

rotorbrent
10-22-2011, 19:35
Here's the Link

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriff-hiker-mistakenly-shot-ore-bear-hunter-192316549.html

MuddyWaters
10-22-2011, 20:09
Just saw another story about 67 yr old hunter with his very young grandson. Old guy saw movement in a nearby group of bushes and assumed it was a bear, lifted his gun and fired.........marine corp guy was hit by bullet and is now dead.
I just don't get it! Why shoot at anything that you would "assume" is an animal?

No intelligent person does. But there are all kinds of people hunting, just like hiking, or driving a car, or even voting.

Doc Mike
10-22-2011, 21:40
No intelligent person does. But there are all kinds of people hunting, just like hiking, or driving a car, or even voting.
especially the last part (voting)

Sarcasm the elf
10-22-2011, 22:18
especially the last part (voting)maybe we should make them wear blaze orange when they vote.

Different Socks
10-22-2011, 23:57
Here's the Link

http://news.yahoo.com/sheriff-hiker-mistakenly-shot-ore-bear-hunter-192316549.html

Thanks rotorbrent!!

FatMan
10-23-2011, 08:55
I thought hunters have to wear blaze orange so they don't shoot each other?I said hikers. I did see three hunters using the trail as well and yes, they were covered with blaze orange camo. I suspect when I am out on the trail today I will see much of the same. As much as everyone preaches blaze orange during the season it appears hikers just don't listen.

The post above about the hiker in the field in Oregon is tragic. But it is just another "only if" situation. Only if the hunter had truly identified his target and only if the hiker were wearing blaze orange. Both parties with a little personal responsibility could have avoided the tragic event. I will always wear blaze orange. It is the responsible thing to do.

Ironbelly
10-23-2011, 09:32
For those of you who dont like the typical blaze orange hunting hats, smartwool released a hunter orange cuffed beanie this year.

Johnny Thunder
10-23-2011, 10:28
i read that blaze orange was chosen because it was the most visible (to human) and least offensive (to color-blind deer) color. looks grey or tan to them.

MuddyWaters
10-23-2011, 14:55
Im recalling back in the days, the late 70s, and early 80's, where some areas started to require it. Originally it was called dayglo-orange. I recall reading articles in high school on testing to see if deer saw it or other colors was done in the mid 80s, long after the orange movement had begun in some areas.

doritotex
10-23-2011, 15:06
Because hunters are required to take a hunter safety course (generally only once) when they get their license, and those courses teach that human = orange.Not all hunters have had "required" safety courses. I know that in Tennessee only hunters born after 1971 have to have a class. So...there a lot of over forty hunters who have never had a class! I'm sure that there some other southern states that don't require everyone to take a course!! It sounds like everyone on here is blaming the non hunter if they get shot!! Kind of like blaming the woman for getting raped if she wears short shorts out in public!!

Ladytrekker
10-23-2011, 15:17
Here's the Link

When you fire a gun deliberately at something without checking to see first what you are shooting at is negligent homicide how can it be accidental the hunter is at fault it was his responsibility to know what he is firing at. This makes me so angry.

FatMan
10-23-2011, 20:35
Saw over 30 hikers out on the trail today. Only one was wearing blaze orange.

birdygal
10-23-2011, 20:57
We were out 2 wks ago , No one had orange, Hubby wore an orange cap but lost it the 2nd day on the trail, going back out tomorrow hopefully I won't loose the last orange cap, I know it is for our safety but anyone who shoots someone thinking they were the prey should be charged for their error in judgement

Tinker
10-23-2011, 21:11
The story of the Marine who got shot in Oregon made me think of the scene in the old movie It's a Wonderful Life where Clarence the angel tells George that a bunch of men died on a troop ship because his brother was not there to save them because George had never been born (according to his wish granted by the angel) to save his drowning brother. I know we can't change the past, but we can avoid repeating it (or paralleling someone else's) by learning from their (in this case, fatal) mistake. Both parties in question were at fault. One may have been innocently ignorant, the other one was negligent. Unfortunately, the unknowing (ignorant) party was the one who paid the ultimate price.

Tragic - and so unnecessary.

RITBlake
10-24-2011, 10:50
Anytime I can do something easy to avoid being shot, I take advantage. Blaze Orange, declining employment with the mexican drug cartels, and avoiding the bronx all qualify.

Depends on what neighborhood you are talking about...

SnakeSession
10-24-2011, 13:12
It's firearm season here in SC. LOTS of people walking around with big guns just begging for anything to move to shoot at. Most also have high power 4 wheelers and race up and down the logging roads. Blaze orange is ugly to wear but worth it.

I'll also point out that in my area (and maybe yours) it's all fine and legal to hunt and shoot wild boar, coyote, pest animals, and some small game ANYTIME during the year and I think with a long gun or even pistol. So be aware that it's not just during hunting season that we need to keep a eye out.

I'm wearing Blaze orange the rest of the year but don't during 'off season'. But it's a good idea to be alert all the time.

RITBlake
10-24-2011, 17:54
I'm registered to take the NYS Hunting Education course on 11/12.

ClayTurner
10-24-2011, 22:37
It is a good idea not to be sporting blue or red colors during Fall or Spring turkey season as hunters are keyed into looking for them, like the flash of white from a deers tail. I wear blaze orange. We had someone bring a cow in at a Conservation checkpoint a few years back, legally tagged with his deer tag. Can't fix stupid.

BobTheBuilder
10-24-2011, 23:12

Unless required by law(passed b/c of hunters mistakes of killing each other or non hunters), I never wear blaze orange!! If they are not 100% it is an animal to be fired upon, they shouldn't even have the weapon raised in the first place. Nope, you can wear deer antlers and a buckskin jacket with a white stripe painted on it.

Wise Old Owl
10-24-2011, 23:27
I just don't care folks - Orange? nuts - just don't wear brown - like a forest ranger... a few have been shot (not kidding)

If you are hiking, Orange and other bright colors .... will chase everything away.. part of the purpose of hiking is to see wildlife - motion is the first trigger, color is the second. IF you want to see stuff blue jeans and a bright yellow or orange shirt - means you will not see anything. Get real = Black is not in nature, but something near camo - without wearing it and not making noise is the way to go..... IF you walk under occupied tree stands with bright colors - they will pack it up. In Alaska bears would hike two miles to tear up an orange tent. Condors in Grand Canyon would trash bright colored tents as toys....

So wear greens and near brown

FYI Bears are attracted to old areas where bear spray has been used... it's an attractant after a while......

Trailbender
10-25-2011, 08:37

Add getting a concealed permit and learning how to use a handgun to the list.

Tinker
10-25-2011, 09:40
If motion is the first trigger, then don't MOVE, for cryin' out loud.

"So wear greens and near brown". Are you for REAL????

I guess ending up as a hunting accident statistic ranks high on your list of lifetime goals??

My direct response: FORGET the bird (and other animal) watching during hunting season. If you want to hike and stay alive wear blaze orange!

A strange way of looking at it may be that you might keep a hunter from being prosecuted for negligence (after shooting you to death).

If Wise Old Owl is not speaking tongue in cheek, I move that his name be changed to Old Owl, or, maybe Lucky Old Owl. :rolleyes:

Disposable
10-25-2011, 10:18
Regarding orange versus hi-viz yellow: an engineer I work with told me highway construction standards have moved toward the yellow for people and orange for the static stuff like traffic barrels, so the workers will stand out more in the clutter of a work site. On the other hand, at work we use both colors of vests at random, and I find that in the shade or in lower light like a heavy overcast I can see the orange much more easily than the yellow. I've pointed this out to 8 or 10 others and most of them noticed the same thing, so I think the orange is better in the woods.

It's easy for me to choose as I happen to like orange. I'm nearly as big as a traffic barrel; I may as well take my style cues from one.

max patch
10-25-2011, 10:23
Saw over 30 hikers out on the trail today. Only one was wearing blaze orange.

Hey FatMan, I was out on Sunday (day 2 of firearm season here in GA) and only saw one man wearing an orange hat and one man wearing an orange t-shirt (which very well may have been a coincidence as his 2 young daughters and wife were orangeless) over the course of my 12 mile walk. Woody Gap parking lot was of course overflowing due to the great weather.

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2011, 11:36
Yes Tinker - I am for real - 10,000 hunters (based on 2010) head into the woods every year in fact its Pennsylvania's biggest draw... from memory 6-10 reported accidents per year here ..Some are self inflicted. NO WORRYS!

Oh and some lands require no hunting on Sundays... Good Lord.

It does happen in California.
CLICK HERE (http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20111023/NEWS/110230361/Hiker-shot-killed-by-hunter?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|News|s)

Tinker
10-25-2011, 19:15
Just for the record, even though I don't hunt, I have absolutely nothing against it. :)

I just can't believe that folks would walk into the woods without following safety regulations designed to minimize the possibility of an accidental shooting. Hunters can dress any way they want. I'm wearing some blaze orange (and I hate the fact that it looks like any other color in twilight and predawn hours, but that's the way it is). Headlamps will help, I hope.

Wise Old Owl
10-25-2011, 21:15
Yep I have tried it both ways.... neon and then green... neon clashes with my green principals.

Tinker
10-26-2011, 13:31
WOO
I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks for a short hike.

I met a few muzzle loader hunters there last year and they were all very cordial and all wore some blaze. One was dragging a deer down the AT, so I know that, at least in its camo form, blaze orange won't scare the deer too much.
Btw: Is it still muzzle loader season in early Nov? The only time I get nervous in the woods is shotgun season (people with poor aim still have a chance to soot something, and, at least in my state, that's what they attempt to do: shoot something). :eek:

Tinker
10-28-2011, 11:28
Bumping post.

Sarcasm the elf
10-28-2011, 13:06
Bumping post.What is a bumping post? Do I need to carry one when hiking during hunting season?

Tinker
10-28-2011, 13:07
Sarcasm. I might've known.

Sarcasm: "To tear the flesh". (variations in most dictionaries)

No wonder the recipients thereof aren't laughing. :cool:

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2011, 14:25
DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 3B, 3C, 4B, 4D and 4E:
Dec. 3-10. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS (Statewide):
Oct. 20-22. Junior and Senior License Holders, Disabled Person Permit (to use a vehicle) Holders, and Pennsylvania residents serving on active duty in U.S. Armed Services or in the U.S. Coast Guard only, with required antlerless license. Also included are persons who have reached or will reach their 65th birthday in the year of the application for a license and hold a valid adult license, or qualify for license and fee exemptions under section 2706. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ANTLERLESS MUZZLELOADER (Statewide):
Oct. 15-22. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

Back in the 60-70 it was about 50 accidents per year with a wopping 14 self inflicted. Hunters Harvest last year 308,920 deer and this year its down 8% in licence sales over last year. Roughly 39,000 hunters are in the woods at this time of the year. Hunting or taking of deer is not allowed on the AT - they can use the AT to travel to their respective Game Land... Allot of hunters do not want to give hunting a bad rapport in the press so they generally stick to the rules. I have seen far more hunters in central pa than where the trail is... Also - populations are generally steady - but not around the Delaware Water Gap/Pocono where the population has crashed a little.

So if you feel the need to wear a blaze orange cap - feel free - but its not necessary.

Creepwood
10-28-2011, 19:12
Also just because you are hiking in an area that doesn't allow hunting, don't be fooled into thinking that no one is hunting there. There's bad apples in every bunch unfortunately.

Tinker
10-28-2011, 21:43
Right. Some folks will jack a deer any time of year (hey, that rhymes!)

Bear Cables
10-30-2011, 01:26
Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of me in full blaze orange! We hike this past week. Got a few comments from other hikers (not wearing orange) that were a bit condescending about my color choices but I don't care if I did look like the great pumpkin, better safe than sorry!

FatMan
10-30-2011, 08:52
Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of me in full blaze orange! We hike this past week. Got a few comments from other hikers (not wearing orange) that were a bit condescending about my color choices but I don't care if I did look like the great pumpkin, better safe than sorry!Bear Cables, I think we crossed paths on the trail on Thursday. Were you with two other women? I remember you saying to me "another great pumpkin" as I was wearing orange as were my two dogs.

Rain Man
10-30-2011, 10:25
I did a search and didn't find the above words in a title....

I did a search and found a bunch of threads with blaze orange in the title.

Rain Man

Rain Man
10-30-2011, 10:27
Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of me in full blaze orange! We hike this past week. Got a few comments from other hikers (not wearing orange) that were a bit condescending about my color choices but I don't care if I did look like the great pumpkin, better safe than sorry!

I just tell them that it's my incognito outfit for Clemson games! :)

Truly though, with some of the complete knucklehead "sportsmen" out there, I wouldn't be caught dead (pun intended) on the trail during hunting season without blaze orange.

Rain:sunMan

Bear Cables
10-30-2011, 17:34
Saw over 30 hikers out on the trail today. Only one was wearing blaze orange.FatMan, I was impressed by not only your blaze orange but your beautiful dogs' blaze orange vest as well!

Bear Cables
10-30-2011, 17:37
Bear Cables, I think we crossed paths on the trail on Thursday. Were you with two other women? I remember you saying to me "another great pumpkin" as I was wearing orange as were my two dogs.Yep! That was us! It was so cool to find out that was you! I think we were both quite the poster children for hiking during hunting season ;)

Bear Cables
10-31-2011, 21:20
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/2/6/6/sam_1011_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=48683&c=531)

Creepwood
10-31-2011, 21:26

Well I can guarantee you they weren't from Tennessee =) as long as it's not Texas orange i'm okay with it in any form.

Bear Cables
10-31-2011, 21:54
Well I can guarantee you they weren't from Tennessee =) as long as it's not Texas orange i'm okay with it in any form.

We do what is necessary in hunting season...but do you know how hard it is for a "bleeds purple and gold" Tiger fan to wear Tennessee orange????? Geaux Tigers!

Wise Old Owl
10-31-2011, 23:02
...awe Nuts.

Sarcasm the elf
11-07-2011, 22:15
I finally made it out to the trail for an overnight this past weekend, did not wear orange and am still alive. Then again I was up in Kent CT, so maybe it was safer that I didn't identify myself as a hiker. :p

When I was packing for the trip I realized that I didn't own any blaze orange besides the vest that my dog wears. I needed to stop by the local REI (Returns and Exchanges International?) anyway so while I was there I thought I'd if they had an orange hat or shirt that I could afford. Sadly after checking through the store I couldn't find one piece of blaze orange clothing. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll probably just pick something up on the internet, but I would have thought that with all the other essential equipment they sell (lexan wine glasses, backpacker's toilet paper, inflatable dog beds, water filters, etc.) they would have had some room for cloths to wear during hunting season.

slims
11-08-2011, 01:53
Even with blaze orange clothing the hunters can still get you.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7543/emok20picdump20212094.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/emok20picdump20212094.jpg/)

MissMagnolia
11-08-2011, 02:03
It's firearm season here in SC. LOTS of people walking around with big guns just begging for anything to move to shoot at. Most also have high power 4 wheelers and race up and down the logging roads. Blaze orange is ugly to wear but worth it.

I'll also point out that in my area (and maybe yours) it's all fine and legal to hunt and shoot wild boar, coyote, pest animals, and some small game ANYTIME during the year and I think with a long gun or even pistol. So be aware that it's not just during hunting season that we need to keep a eye out.

I'm wearing Blaze orange the rest of the year but don't during 'off season'. But it's a good idea to be alert all the time.

Very good point. It's the same in Utah. There's a bounty paid by the state for coyotes (pronounced kai' yotes by many in the small towns). They just have to cut off the ear and bring it in to get paid. I will wear my orange, or at least something bright and unnatural, when I hike.

FatMan
11-08-2011, 09:28
Even with blaze orange clothing the hunters can still get you.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7543/emok20picdump20212094.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/emok20picdump20212094.jpg/)

Too funny. I just spit my coffee all over my desk.

ki0eh
11-08-2011, 09:51
It's certainly true that the techie fabric people and blaze orange don't seem to meet easily, although Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's are carrying more techie fabric stuff all the time, and LL Bean still has feet in both the hunter and preppie camps. I have a great Under Armour orange long sleeve baselayer shirt but was unable to find it again (always good to have at least two), they changed to be more form fitting which isn't good for me :O . My wife got me an orange UA hoodie that is an amazing second layer, I'll wear it in shoulder season even when orange isn't as necessary. Woolrich has gone more techie (got a great half micro wool/half polypro shirt recently there) but in doing so they seem to have thrown orange under the bus. Those Yankees who don't want to be supporting the Longhorns or Vols could always support Syracuse, not sure if this is same fabric as the hoodie I have: http://bookweb.syr.edu/ePOS?this_category=530&store=1&item_number=F10110&form=shared3%2fgm%2fdetail%2ehtml&design=1

Rocket Jones
11-08-2011, 12:07
I recently picked up a blaze orange buff. Keep the ol' noggin warm and hopefully I'll finish up with the same number of holes I started with.

bronconite
11-08-2011, 12:31
Hunting or taking of deer is not allowed on the AT - they can use the AT to travel to their respective Game Land...
This is absolutely false. There is no restriction to hunting on or near the AT when it is located on State Game Lands or State Forest, where much of The AT is located in PA. The only part of the AT where there are restrictions related to hunting that I am aware of are the lands that were purchased by the Federal Government for the purpose of preserving the AT, which are marked by white and green U.S. boundry markers.

So if you feel the need to wear a blaze orange cap - feel free - but its not necessary.
This is also false. If you are a non-hunter/trapper using State Game Lands between Nov. 15 and Dec. 15. excluding Sundays, you are required to wear at least 250 sq.in. of blaze orange

beakerman
11-08-2011, 16:14

That is your choice. I agree but I know there are those one or two arse clowns out there that shoot first look later. I wear orange anytime the hunters are in the woods out of respect for them. i'm no fan of the orange mind you i just want quietly let a hunter know there is another human over here so shoot the other direction.

beakerman
11-08-2011, 16:18
This is absolutely false. There is no restriction to hunting on or near the AT when it is located on State Game Lands or State Forest, where much of The AT is located in PA. The only part of the AT where there are restrictions related to hunting that I am aware of are the lands that were purchased by the Federal Government for the purpose of preserving the AT, which are marked by white and green U.S. boundry markers.

This is also false. If you are a non-hunter/trapper using State Game Lands between Nov. 15 and Dec. 15. excluding Sundays, you are required to wear at least 250 sq.in. of blaze orange

And after having received a fine many moons ago when I lived in PA that 250sq inches must include a hat. The dude dinged me bcause I didn't have an orange hat on...seriously.

ki0eh
11-08-2011, 17:33
And after having received a fine many moons ago when I lived in PA that 250sq inches must include a hat. The dude dinged me bcause I didn't have an orange hat on...seriously.

58 Pa.Code 135.41(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to: * * * (21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

Quoted from http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/subchapCtoc.html but you have to scroll down far enough.

WalksInDark
11-10-2011, 23:00
To Blaze or not to Blaze?

Two cautionary tales:

My then wife and I were riding two very large horses through the woods during a sunny day during the hunting season here in Maryland. I was wearing a blaze orange down vest. When the first rifle went off, it was hard to tell where it had been fired from. When a bullet hit the tree next to where we were riding we both stared yelling at the top of our lungs and galloped behind a stand of trees.

While I was living in VA there were a couple of "incidents." Once incident involved a hunter looking for deer in a posted "No Hunting/Animal Preserve." http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/11/jason_david_cloutier_worlds_du.php

The hunter lived in the area and was well aware that the local college (located a short distance away) owned the area and used it daily for ecology/biology classes. The short version is that the hunter used (what it is called in WI anyway) "sound location" to identify that a potential deer was nearby (Duh, it it makes sounds in the woods, it just must be a deer!)...he then shot and wounded a male college student with one shot. A bullet then killed the female college student who was in the woods along with her study partner.

The hunter was convicted and he had to serve a whooping 12 months in jail. How is that for sending a message to hunters who shoot before they confirm their targets?

4eyedbuzzard
11-11-2011, 00:50
About 5 to 10 miles as the crow flies from me (over the ridge), a 31 year old hunter from MA,, hunting with family members (local I believe) was killed by another hunter in Lisbon, NH Wednesday on opening day of deer (rifle) season. The shooter is a yet to be named 48 year old NH resident. The police and county DA are still investigating. http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/newsstatenewengland/939479-227/31-year-old-massachusetts-man-idd-as-victim-of.html

Another guy was shot in the butt up in Pittsfield. He'll apparently be okay. Lucky the bullet didn't hit a major artery.

Just isn't any GD excuse for these "accidents". I hunted for years. Never, ever, saw a person that looked like a deer. Bunch of reckless idiots running around the woods with guns shooting at anything that moves or makes a noise. No better in my book than a damn drunk driver killing somebody. Lock em up.

hambone5126
11-11-2011, 01:14
why the hate for blaze orange?! my favorite winter hat is a super rad bright orange Volcom beanie that i wear whether its hunting season or not. maybe im just cool like that :D

FatMan
11-11-2011, 09:32
why the hate for blaze orange?! my favorite winter hat is a super rad bright orange Volcom beanie that i wear whether its hunting season or not. maybe im just cool like that :DNot just cool, but smart. We always think of hunting season as Deer & Bear firearms season, but truth is there is a season for some animal virtually all year here in GA.

bronconite
11-11-2011, 13:51
Not just cool, but smart. We always think of hunting season as Deer & Bear firearms season, but truth is there is a season for some animal virtually all year here in GA.

It is the same in PA. There is always an open season on something. Coyotes can be hunted 24/7 365, including Sundays.

Raul Perez
11-11-2011, 16:42
I was out over the weekend and wore a blaze orange cap and had a bright red bandana on the back of my pack (didnt have time to get a blaze orange pack cover). I hiked the Wingdale-Pawling area on the AT for a few days. Day 2 I ran into a bow hunter. Totally glad I wore my blaze orange.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2011, 20:36

Ok I am glad you have called me on it.... However, the AT is well Marked at regular intervals in Game Land at the Pinnacle and the Pulpit. I will attempt to retrieve that data and photos... And I still say this is stupid - and FYI -- I hope the Gov rescinds the Sunday Blue Law - so keep in mind I am not here to argue - but looking for good information.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2011, 23:07
Bronconite: Thank's Yea you owe me 2 hours of my life back. Dunderhead.

Source

National Park Service Appalachian Trail Lands As part of the program to secure the route of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, in Pennsylvania the National Park Service purchased outright lands that the A.T. either crossed or could be relocated to. NPS owns a belt of land crossing the Cumberland Valley east of Carlisle, and occasional chunks of mountain land along the A.T., connecting State Forest and State Game Land north and east of Harrisburg.

The Appalachian Trail Conference, through its Mid-Atlantic Regional Office in Boiling Springs and Trail-maintaining clubs such as SATC and CVATC, monitor conditions on and boundaries of these lands. A National Park Ranger in Boiling Springs will enforce rules on these lands upon discovery of an adverse condition by the ridgerunner or volunteers.
These rules are:
No ATV’s, horses, or bikes
No hunting

No car camping

Backpack camping generally allowed (rules on the map again)

Boundaries marked with yellow blazes and “A.T. Boundary” witness posts.

National Forest The closest National Forests to Harrisburg are in VA, WV, and NY. Then there is one in northwest PA. They say trails are maintained by paid staff, and you can camp anywhere. Not around here!

Private land Pennsylvania’s hiking trails sometimes cross or use private land, generally to connect trails on nearby public lands. Some examples are:
Horse-Shoe Trail – crosses numerous tracts of private mountain land, and lands of the Milton Hershey School Trust
Conestoga Trail and Mason-Dixon Trail – cross occasional farms, and also use land owned by power companies near the lower Susquehanna River in York and Lancaster Counties

Tuscarora Trail – crosses privately owned mountain land north of Carlisle, and in western Franklin County

Nearly all of these trails lack easements giving permanent right of passage, so the trail can be thrown off at any time by the landowner. This has happened many times on the Horse-Shoe Trail where the guidebook cautions you to follow the blazes carefully, regardless of what the guidebook or maps say.
General rules for hiking across private land are:
Stay on trail

No vehicles, ATV’s, horses, or bikes (all of which the owner probably uses himself so be very careful you’re not talking to the owner if you confront a rider, he pays the taxes and the mortgage and you don’t)

Respect owners’ property and privacy (one trail was closed when hikers set up for a picnic lunch on the front lawn of the owners’ house, and refused to move when the owner asked them to)

Don’t pick up anything or leave anything behind (this goes for all trails, but especially on private land where one indiscretion can result in the trail being closed forever)

No camping

No fires

No alcohol

Stay off private land during fall hunting season

No hunting (that’s for you, the owners’ cousins probably hunt it)

Papa D
11-11-2011, 23:43
I had my pack cover on last week thru the smokies - I just kept it on down to the NOC - it's yellowish orange -- didn't get shot. Pretty scared of people with guns though - much rather deal with bears and icy creek crossings - much more reliable

bronconite
11-11-2011, 23:47
Ok I am glad you have called me on it.... However, the AT is well Marked at regular intervals in Game Land at the Pinnacle and the Pulpit. I will attempt to retrieve that data and photos....
Looking at my KTA AT maps it seems that Pulpit Rock is located on Hamburg Watershed Lands and the Pinnacle looks to be located on private land Just outside of the Watershed Lands. In fact it looks like the Majority of the AT between Port Clinton and Eckville is located on Hamburg Watershed Lands and NPS land, so I have no doubt there are signs in that area. It does cross State Game Lands also. The signs are most likely located at the transition from one to the other.

And I still say this is stupid
Everyone is entitled to their opinion

and FYI -- I hope the Gov rescinds the Sunday Blue Law - so keep in mind I am not here to argue - but looking for good information.I don't consider this arguing;)

bronconite
11-12-2011, 00:05

Source

National Park Service Appalachian Trail Lands As part of the program to secure the route of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, in Pennsylvania the National Park Service purchased outright lands that the A.T. either crossed or could be relocated to. NPS owns a belt of land crossing the Cumberland Valley east of Carlisle, and occasional chunks of mountain land along the A.T., connecting State Forest and State Game Land north and east of Harrisburg.

The Appalachian Trail Conference, through its Mid-Atlantic Regional Office in Boiling Springs and Trail-maintaining clubs such as SATC and CVATC, monitor conditions on and boundaries of these lands. A National Park Ranger in Boiling Springs will enforce rules on these lands upon discovery of an adverse condition by the ridgerunner or volunteers.
These rules are:
No hunting

No car camping

National Forest The closest National Forests to Harrisburg are in VA, WV, and NY. Then there is one in northwest PA. They say trails are maintained by paid staff, and you can camp anywhere. Not around here!

Private land Pennsylvania’s hiking trails sometimes cross or use private land, generally to connect trails on nearby public lands. Some examples are:
Horse-Shoe Trail – crosses numerous tracts of private mountain land, and lands of the Milton Hershey School Trust
Conestoga Trail and Mason-Dixon Trail – cross occasional farms, and also use land owned by power companies near the lower Susquehanna River in York and Lancaster Counties

Tuscarora Trail – crosses privately owned mountain land north of Carlisle, and in western Franklin County

Nearly all of these trails lack easements giving permanent right of passage, so the trail can be thrown off at any time by the landowner. This has happened many times on the Horse-Shoe Trail where the guidebook cautions you to follow the blazes carefully, regardless of what the guidebook or maps say.
General rules for hiking across private land are:
Stay on trail

No vehicles, ATV’s, horses, or bikes (all of which the owner probably uses himself so be very careful you’re not talking to the owner if you confront a rider, he pays the taxes and the mortgage and you don’t)

Respect owners’ property and privacy (one trail was closed when hikers set up for a picnic lunch on the front lawn of the owners’ house, and refused to move when the owner asked them to)

Don’t pick up anything or leave anything behind (this goes for all trails, but especially on private land where one indiscretion can result in the trail being closed forever)

No camping

No fires

No alcohol

Stay off private land during fall hunting season

No hunting (that’s for you, the owners’ cousins probably hunt it)

Dunderhead? You're Funny. It appears from this post of yours you think you've found some information that you think shows that hunting is not allowed on the AT. I assure you, that is not the case. The first part of your post, where you have bolded activities not permitted, is describing regulations for NPS lands, not all of the trail. Here is something I found on ATC's website

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

Is hunting permitted on the A.T.?Hunting is allowed—as long as the hunter observes state laws and regulations—along more than half of the Appalachian Trail's length, including some part of all fourteen Trail states. During hunting season, make sure you can be seen and heard. Wear a blaze-orange cap and vest and/or backpack cover at all times, including in and around camp.

FatMan
11-12-2011, 10:12
I posted this to another thread but it is on topic here.

Off the wall question...are you very concerned about hunters this time of year? One of my buddies was gathering info, and said that although hunting wasn't allowed on the AT it was advised that you wear some blaze orange just in case there were poachers. Sounds like good advice, your thoughts?

Your friend is wrong. Here in GA there are no restrictions on hunters for the AT in the Chattahoochee National Forest. The AT is only mentioned in the GA regulations as follows:

"NOTE: The Appalachian
Trail (AT) is heavily used all year
for camping and hiking. Please be aware
of campers/hikers and use caution when
hunting near the AT or any other trails/
campgrounds."

Just last Saturday a group of hikers commented on my and my wife's blaze orange and the blaze orange vests on my dogs. They too thought there was no hunting allowed near the AT and were not wearing any. And low and behold, the moment we ended out chat and started to move on a loud gun blast from about 75 yards away rang out. I chuckled as two in the group let out a loud "Oh S***".LOL

I am not very concerned about hunters. They know where the trail is and are not likely to fire in its direction. But they are often very near by so I always wear orange and you should too.

Accidents do happen as Max Patch mentioned above. And, as with the accident above, dawn and dusk are when you are most difficult to see so wear that orange in camp too. Yeah even when nature calls.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2011, 17:40
I posted this to another thread but it is on topic here.

I am not very concerned about hunters. They know where the trail is and are not likely to fire in its direction. But they are often very near by so I always wear orange and you should too.

I wasn't going to let this go all weekend - I will make a few phone calls, by Wednesday I should have better answers about boundries - but you nailed it ... I too am very unconcerned...

Over the years the constant re-occuring thread starts are, Afraid of Stalkers, Bears, Hunters, Cougars, snakes & spiders, Pink Blazing.... Wearing Orange doesn't make you bullet proof....IF these are your fears -

stay at home! or GET OVER IT or GROW A PAIR or STOP SNIVELING.

Oh and I am still waiting to run into a Cougar - very much wanted to stay warm at night.....

johnnybgood
11-13-2011, 18:18
YOU FORGOT TICKS WOO . This is one thread that keeps on giving , that is giving us fears over what might happen , could happen , blah ...blah ...blah.

I honestly don't worry about these things . I do wear an orange bandanna this time of year , that's about it.

Under concerned is how I see it .

I'm actually much more likely to die driving to the trail than being taken down by a stray bullet.
Just sayin...

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2011, 19:01
Nah mate - I mentioned it a earlier post - or on a different thread very recent... something about

Your more likely to get lyme disease than being mauled.... etc etc....

ki0eh
11-13-2011, 19:22

Source

These rules are:
No hunting

No car camping

The source link isn't active here but this text is very familiar to me - because I wrote it. Here is the source: http://www.satc-hike.org/paoutdoors.html

Even around Harrisburg NPS land where hunting is prohibited is a small portion of the A.T. land, the source lists State Forest, SGL, and State Park land ahead of this as these lands host more of the A.T.

In addition, the NPS land where hunting is prohibited is rarely posted as such (at least, not for long...). I've never seen a poster on, say, the NPS enclave of former Harrisburg watershed land abutting SGL 211 on both sides.

I've been waiting in vain in this thread for a reason NOT to wear blaze orange in the high hunting seasons. It seems that the reason not to for those who don't is just "I don't like it." That's fine if you don't like it, however you are not the only one in the woods especially at these times of year.

FatMan
11-13-2011, 19:31
WOO, on this topic you are proving yourself to not be wise at all. Let me save you some calls about boundries in GA. Here is a link to the GA DNR Wildlife Resources Division web page dealing with the shared access to both hikers and hunters on the AT.

http://georgiawildlife.com/node/715?cat=1

Like I said, I an not concerned about hunters taking a shot at me on the AT. But I know they are very nearby. Heck, there is a hunter's campsite right on the 200 yd path between my house and trail. I wear blaze orange as it is the responsible thing to do.

It you chose to not wear orange that is your choice, and maybe in PA hunting may be restricted near the AT. I don't know. But to suggest to all in a blanket statement that they should not bother with wearing blaze orange is typical of the bad advice often spewed on this site.

Oh, and if you choose to quote my posts again, please use the whole quote, or at least use ... to indicate there is more.

rmitchell
11-13-2011, 20:21
i like to shoot at green tress not orange ones

Have you been in SW VA lately?14369

ki0eh
11-14-2011, 14:28
Video of the Backpacker Magazine Get Out More team advocating blaze orange for fall hiking in Missouri: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQjn3lVAsE

Tinker
11-14-2011, 19:32
I just got back from a section hike in Pa. between Duncannon and Port Clinton. I saw a few spots where there were shotgun shells directly on the trail. After a road crossing we ran into a man in full camo with face paint and a crossbow with a bolt loaded into it walking toward us on the trail. We said "Hi." but it was pretty clear that he wished us not to be there scaring the game. Farther along the trail we met and greeted a man with a high powered rifle with a scope holding a walkie-talkie on top of a ridge. He was likely spotting and driving deer toward a companion below the ridgecrest. Later on we spotted an arrow broadhead wedged in a tree trunk about 2 ft. up from the ground. The shaft had been unscrewed. This was parallel to the AT. Obviously, the hunter had fired at something ON the Trail FROM the Trail, had missed, and gotten his arrow head stuck in the trunk. Unable to pull it out, he unscrewed the shaft and left the broadhead behind. Just before Port Clinton we met (again, right on the Trail), a father and son team out hunting. They were resting after the steep climb out of the gap and were not actively hunting. I asked them what the rules were regarding hunting on the AT in that area and they confessed that they "didn't know", and, that if hunting was not allowed, it would be "clearly posted", and that they had "done it every year for a long time". Neither was belligerent, and I asked because I was unaware myself, and was curious to know if they had any information.
Conclusion: Hunting is great fun for many people, and some, hopefully few, don't care to know the regulations for fear that they may have to obey them. It's difficult to prove deliberate disobedience, so, even if stopped by authorities, a simple, "Gee, we didn't know!" will probably allow them to leave without a fine and to return, again unknowing, another day.
Hunters aren't any different than any other enthusiast. They want to do what they want to do, and some don't care what the rules say.
Be careful.
Wear orange.

max patch
11-14-2011, 19:38
WOO, on this topic you are proving yourself to not be wise at all.....

I think WOO got sprayed with DDT while eating a sandwich by his father.

Sarcasm the elf
11-14-2011, 20:55
Have you been in SW VA lately?14369

Back when I was a kid I used to subscribe to Field & Stream Magazine and read every issue cover to cover. One of the best short articles I ever read started with a full page picture of a shot up road sign, the first paragraph began with something along the lines of: For every time a road sign is shot up, someone who sees it becomes anti-gun. For every group of hunters who walk into a restaurant still dressed in their field cloths fresh from a kill, drinking and bragging about their exploits, there is someone in that restaurant who becomes anti-hunting...

I lost the article years ago and my summary can't do the author justice, but when i read it as a teenager it certainly got the point across. All groups of sportsman: hunters, fisherman, hikers, target shooters, ATVers etc. are judged by outsiders based on the actions that they witness. It is a shame that, just like a single hiker causing trouble in a town, the idiot that shot up the sign in the photo you posted has left a lasting mark on the landscape for which other hunters will be judged.

Tinker
11-14-2011, 21:01
Well said, Sarcasm. :)

We are ALL ambassadors of our sport, hobby, name, race, nationality, etc, etc, (like it or not). :cool:

ljcsov
11-14-2011, 22:04
Dunderhead? You're Funny. It appears from this post of yours you think you've found some information that you think shows that hunting is not allowed on the AT. I assure you, that is not the case. The first part of your post, where you have bolded activities not permitted, is describing regulations for NPS lands, not all of the trail. Here is something I found on ATC's website

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

Is hunting permitted on the A.T.?Hunting is allowed—as long as the hunter observes state laws and regulations—along more than half of the Appalachian Trail's length, including some part of all fourteen Trail states. During hunting season, make sure you can be seen and heard. Wear a blaze-orange cap and vest and/or backpack cover at all times, including in and around camp.

Hunting is permitted off the AT in much of Central PA. In fact, much of the AT runs through game lands and state forests which allow hunting as already stated. Moreover, there have been many issues in the area with hunters roaming areas close to the trails. To be exact, on Peters Mountain there have been issues with hunters utilizing this region as a type of sniper nest. They enjoy sitting on the mountain side and aiming into the valley below to pick off deer wandering through the bordering farmland. This area serves mainly as rolling farmland but plenty of homes can be seen spotted throughout the valley. It can be pretty scarey when morons are sending a barrage into the lower valley.

I need to get some blaze orange myself. Unfortunately, its a pain in the ass to find stuff that isn't made out of cotton or won't cause me to overheat. I'll be sure to pick up at least something since I'd rather not be ripped to shreds by an idiot. Nonetheless, it is foolish to complain about hunting in PA. They serve as protectors of woodlands just as hikers do and can be important allies in preserving natural and ecological habitats. So, I advise that people are respectful. You will find plenty of hikers who are as equally disrespectful on the trail. Think of the number of times you have found shelters damaged and litter left behind.

I am yet to have any issue with hunters. Conversely, my girlfriend has had numerous run-ins, especially with hunting parties who sweep the woods in an effort to push game into the shooters. She has been told to stay out of the woods and to get out of their territory. Many interrogate her as to where she has been trekking and how long she has been there. They fear that hikers traipse through their turf for hours scaring off all the deer before they even have a chance to realize there is human life about.

The bottom line. Be respectful. Hunters stand as a party with similar interests to hikers. Keep safe and wear something orange! I need to find some good blaze items myself.

Bear Cables
11-14-2011, 23:20
I wasn't going to let this go all weekend - I will make a few phone calls, by Wednesday I should have better answers about boundries - but you nailed it ... I too am very unconcerned...Over the years the constant re-occuring thread starts are, Afraid of Stalkers, Bears, Hunters, Cougars, snakes & spiders, Pink Blazing.... Wearing Orange doesn't make you bullet proof....IF these are your fears - .stay at home! or GET OVER IT or GROW A PAIR or STOP SNIVELING.Oh and I am still waiting to run into a Cougar - very much wanted to stay warm at night.....Why would one be a sniveler by being concerned about safety during hunting season? Concern and fear are not synonymous . I hike in bear country, I hang a bear bag. I hike in hunting season I wear blaze orange...I hike fearlessly.

bronconite
11-15-2011, 08:31
I just got back from a section hike in Pa. between Duncannon and Port Clinton. I saw a few spots where there were shotgun shells directly on the trail. After a road crossing we ran into a man in full camo with face paint and a crossbow with a bolt loaded into it walking toward us on the trail. We said "Hi." but it was pretty clear that he wished us not to be there scaring the game. Farther along the trail we met and greeted a man with a high powered rifle with a scope holding a walkie-talkie on top of a ridge. He was likely spotting and driving deer toward a companion below the ridgecrest. Later on we spotted an arrow broadhead wedged in a tree trunk about 2 ft. up from the ground. The shaft had been unscrewed. This was parallel to the AT. Obviously, the hunter had fired at something ON the Trail FROM the Trail, had missed, and gotten his arrow head stuck in the trunk. Unable to pull it out, he unscrewed the shaft and left the broadhead behind. Just before Port Clinton we met (again, right on the Trail), a father and son team out hunting. They were resting after the steep climb out of the gap and were not actively hunting. I asked them what the rules were regarding hunting on the AT in that area and they confessed that they "didn't know", and, that if hunting was not allowed, it would be "clearly posted", and that they had "done it every year for a long time". Neither was belligerent, and I asked because I was unaware myself, and was curious to know if they had any information.
Conclusion: Hunting is great fun for many people, and some, hopefully few, don't care to know the regulations for fear that they may have to obey them. It's difficult to prove deliberate disobedience, so, even if stopped by authorities, a simple, "Gee, we didn't know!" will probably allow them to leave without a fine and to return, again unknowing, another day.
Hunters aren't any different than any other enthusiast. They want to do what they want to do, and some don't care what the rules say.
Be careful.
Wear orange.

Just a thought. Maybe that father and son "didn't know" "what the rules were regarding hunting on the AT in that area" because there are no rules "regarding hunting on the AT in that area" and not because they didn't "care to know them". 1 or 2 miles after you passed Eagles Nest Shelter you would have crossed a State Forest Road with a sign that shows Shartlesville 4 miles to the South. Soon after that you entered State Game Land 110 and were on it until just before you crossed the river at Port Clinton. There are no special regulations regarding the AT on State Game Land, as I've mentioned before.

Rain Man
11-15-2011, 09:02
Just a thought. Maybe that father and son "didn't know" "what the rules were regarding hunting on the AT in that area" because there are no rules "regarding hunting on the AT in that area" and not because they didn't "care to know them"....

What the hey.... If the rules vary the least bit, hunters get a free pass?!!! Shouldn't the reverse be true? If rules vary, hunters are OBLIGATED to dig into the rules the same as they dig into game, gear, ammo, camo, beer, and etc. To become "experts" on where they choose to hunt, and that includes knowing where there are "no rules" (that's an oxymoron of sorts). No "Pass GO" or "Get out of Jail Free" cards simply because the rules are one thing in a State Forest and another thing in a State Park, etc. If hunters are out to kill, "didn't know" doesn't cut the mustard.

Rain Man

backtracker2
11-15-2011, 09:47
I use an orange backpack cover that I picked up at REI

Odd Man Out
11-15-2011, 11:44
Today is the opening day of firearm deer season in MI and I saw a lot of pick-up trucks parked along side the road on my way to work. I was thinking about this thread and I thought that wearing Blaze orange is a bit like locking my doors of my house at night. I don't lock my doors to keep out the good people. I lock the doors to keep out the "morons" who would break in and steal stuff. Likewise, you don't wear orange to protect yourself form the responsible hunters. You do it to protect yourself from the morons. I don't feel the need to pay a ton of money for a home security system or to keep a loaded gun by my bedside or move to someplace even more safe. Locking my door is a cheap and easy way to stop a lot of the morons from hurting you. So is wearing Blaze orange

Bear Cables
11-15-2011, 11:58
Just a note...a Louisiana man was shot and killed this past weekend while hunting by another "hunter"who shot a "something" moving in the brush. It's not the hunters I am concerned about. Its the idiots who think they are hunters.

The Solemates
11-15-2011, 13:30
someone who does not wear blaze orange while walking through hunting land during hunting season is just as ignorant as someone who shoots before confirming their target. be smart people.

Old Hillwalker
11-15-2011, 14:11
Please excuse the referred source, I am a licensed hunter in Maine. This year's deer season is not going well. Even while wearing blaze orange.

http://www.supgv.org/blog-post/two-injured-one-killed-maine-hunting-accidents

One of the sub-references states that 8 to 10 accidental hunting shootings occur every year in Maine. That's why even my cat wears blaze orange when he goes outdoors here in the woods of Western Maine ;)
TW

Colter
11-15-2011, 17:01
In 1996, IHEA statistics show that 87 people died in hunting-related accidents (http://www.oal-law.com/lawyers/hunting-accident/)
In 1996 14 million hunters spent 257 million days afield. (http://central.flyways.us/about/philosophies/181-about-hunting) That is about 1 death per 2.95 million hunting days.

If there are 190 million drivers and they drive 250 days a year, that is about 47 1/2 billion driving days. With 40,000 highway deaths in a year, that's 1 death per 1.19 million driving days

1 death per 2.95 million hunting days (about 98% being hunters, vs non-hunters)
1 death per 1.19 million driving days
About 1 death per million skiing/snowboarding days (http://pmj.bmj.com/content/85/1004/316/T3.expansion.html)
1 death per 500,000 days mountaineering in England and Wales (http://pmj.bmj.com/content/85/1004/316/T3.expansion.html)
1 death per 100,000 days trekking in Nepal (http://pmj.bmj.com/content/85/1004/316/T3.expansion.html)
1 death per 33,000 days skydiving (assuming 3 jumps/day) (http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/skydiving8.htm)
1 death per 10,000 days climbing on McKinley (http://pmj.bmj.com/content/85/1004/316/T3.expansion.html)

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2011, 17:38
Well I had to call in sick today - hives - so I called two hunters who are good friends and I put a call into the warden and the warden and I discussed state game land 161 which cuts into Pinnacle and the Pulpit a very popular spot in Penns woods.

Every state is different - Fatman I was discussing Pennsylvania - only. Wearing orange is not mandatory on state game land. It's just good sense. The risks are very low.... and we are about 10 days from rifle season. There is hunting allowed right on the trail for the portions of state game lands. On the other hand - Gary - the warden - recommended staying home for two weeks.... In short don't hike on the game land.... and for two weeks in this part of the year - his take - don't take the chance - and he too said the risk incredibly small, most hunters are more likely to hurt themselves or each other... it's rare that a hiker would get injured.

That being said - the comment I bolded all those portions was a cut and paste and I only changed one section the others were already bolded..

Mark who hunts bear - say's there's little point in hunting the game lands around the AT, bear are more plentiful in other parts of the state, because he lives in Delaware, he hunts Maryland too. So he pointed out he has to know where the boundaries are, and safety zones around buildings, as for the corridor - he hikes up it and goes off trail and points away from the trail. He also pointed out some hunters bend rules to fit their needs and don't expect everyone to be on the same page. Just because he is required to do it different in another state doesn't mean that's the norm here.

Hopefully that changes the content of the discussion.

Rain Man
11-16-2011, 19:08
...He also pointed out some hunters bend rules to fit their needs ....

Yeah, we read about them with the totally lame "we've always hunted here and done it this way, so we don't need to know no stinkin' laws" rationalization. What losers.

Rain Man

Tinker
11-30-2012, 16:19
Just a reminder.

I ran into over 2 dozen hunters on the AT in Pa. earlier this week.

It was the beginning of high powered rifle season, possibly the easiest season to get shot by being mistaken as game because the distance and accuracy of a rifle is far greater and better, respectively, than a shotgun.

As usual, I had my torso, head, and hands covered in blaze orange, and actually had a hunter tell me that he'd seen other hikers dressed in blue that day. Another hunter, right next to the trail, admitted that he was ready to draw a bead on me when he heard me coming around a corner of the trail. Luckily he saw the orange first.................:eek: