PDA

View Full Version : Today's Posts

Tinker
10-20-2011, 18:02
Should be Today's Posts (meaning posts belonging to or pertinent to Today - it's posessive).

The lowly apostrophe - this thing (') means either "belonging to" or it is to shorten a phrase like "there's" (there is).

It is not intended to make things plural like "pizza's and hamburger's"

No, I'm not an English teacher, but it seems as though many of the aformentioned profession are not doing their (that's right, it's not there) jobs very well.

Poor use of the English language has probably cost many an applicant a decent job if they wrote up their own resume.

Prove me wrong, and I'll be more than happy to change to be right. :)

Peace and love.

atmilkman
10-20-2011, 18:18
Correct. When one talks about pizzas, they might refer to a pizza's toppings.

tiptoe
10-20-2011, 18:23
I will spare you my apostrophe rant. I will just post this link to the UK Apostrophe Protection Society.
http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

Don't miss the Examples of misuse posted by users.
http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/examples_1.htm

Tinker
10-20-2011, 18:29
I will spare you my apostrophe rant. I will just post this link to the UK Apostrophe Protection Society.
http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

Don't miss the Examples of misuse posted by users.
http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/examples_1.htm

How do I "Befriend you" ?? LOL :p

Tinker
10-20-2011, 18:32
'some of tho'se apostrophe's are actually correc't. Find them and win a prize (my undying adoration) :) xoxoxo

strollingalong
10-20-2011, 18:33
It's not really that English teachers are doing a bad job. You can't blame the teaching profession if a student doesn't give a toss. Teaching is not a one way street. Blame your fellow man.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 18:48
It's not really that English teachers are doing a bad job. You can't blame the teaching profession if a student doesn't give a toss. Teaching is not a one way street. Blame your fellow man.

My aim is not to blame, but to inform, (and to challenge, if seen that way). My apologies to those in the teaching profession. In the end, it's up to all of us to teach him/herself. Where we have no interest, there we will have no knowledge. This is especially sad in a country which has little interest in its adopted language (no apostrophe needed here).

Attila
10-20-2011, 20:06
Tinker,

English is my fourth language, could you help me understand the use of the "an" from your original post?
"Poor use of the English language has probably cost many an applicant a decent job if they wrote up their own resume."

Thanks,

Attila

hikerboy57
10-20-2011, 20:08
Tinker,

English is my fourth language, could you help me understand the use of the "an" from your original post?
"Poor use of the English language has probably cost many an applicant a decent job if they wrote up their own resume."

Thanks,

AttilaI believe it should read many applicants.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 20:14
Sure, Attilla. "An" is used before nouns beginning with another vowel (a,e,i,o, and u).

An umbrella is easier to say than a umbrella, for instance.

If the word starts with a consonant you would use "a", as in a house, a car, etc.

Just to make things more confusing, the English, those nice folks who gave the middle portion of our continent their language, use "an" before words which sound as though they begin with a vowel. The first example I can think of is "an hurricane" - since many Englishmen would not pronounce the "H", they treat it as though the word actually began with the "u". \

Don't worry, it gets more confusing ;).

Attila;1210514]Tinker, English is my fourth language, could you help me understand the use of the "an" from your original post?

Thanks,

Attila[/QUOTE]

WingedMonkey
10-20-2011, 20:26
I'd hate to see what you add to others entries in shelter logs.

:sun

Tinker
10-20-2011, 20:36
I don't bother correcting shelter log books. The authors aren't going to be back to read my rantings anyway. Those who don't want to learn won't, location doesn't matter, so I won't push the fine points of the English language on those who aren't interested.
The content of a person's character matters more to me than their (is this the only word to which the "I before E except after C" ruling does not apply?) spelling. I'm sure it won't come up as an issue in The Judgement. ;)

WingedMonkey;1210523]I'd hate to see what you add to others entries in shelter logs.

:sun[/QUOTE]

Attila
10-20-2011, 20:48
I got to tease you now. Attila spelled with two letter t's (is this correct use of apostrophe?) and one letter l. What I did not get in your original post is the "many an applicant" portion....
On a different subject, what is your hammock set-up?

Attila

Odd Man Out
10-20-2011, 20:50
So many rules.

Remember to never split an infinitive, and never use a preposition to end a sentence with.

hikerboy57
10-20-2011, 20:53
Never use a preposition to end a sentence.always end a sentence with a period.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 21:19
Attila - got it. Lo siento. Spanish, right?

My hammock setup is quite simple. I use a Byer hammock without bugnet and a rope run through each end instead of the parachute lines it came with. This makes it quite short, but I can fit my sleeping bags over it and pull them up to my neck (I have two bags, a Golite Feather-lite 40 degree [f] and a Montbell ulap down liner). I can use either one or both together. This makes it possible to be comfortable up to 60 plus degrees with the light bag alone or down to five degrees with both bags and a down jacket and down booties. I have two tarps. One is a MacCat standard size made from spinnaker cloth and the other is a 10x12 foot Equinox, which I can use the long way for maximum rain coverage when wind is expected, or the short way (10 foot ridge line) when I want to pull the sides to the ground and close off the ends for maximum protection against the cold. For a suspension I usually use two basic camlock tiedown straps (10 feet) available at Home Depot or Lowes and many other stores. It's easier to shut the ends of the tarp in the winter if I use 6mm climbing accessory rope, so I do that in cold weather. I have several pictures in my gallery here so you can take a look at them.

I got to tease you now. Attila spelled with two letter t's (is this correct use of apostrophe?) and one letter l. What I did not get in your original post is the "many an applicant" portion....
On a different subject, what is your hammock set-up?

Attila

Hoop
10-20-2011, 23:01
"I'd hate to see what you add to others entries in shelter logs."

As long as class is in session, let's say "...others' entries..."

BabySue
10-20-2011, 23:34
I before e except before c, or when sounded like a as in neighbor or weigh. If we can agree that this is the rule, then "their" does follow it (since it sounds like weigh). Several words break the rule: leisure, Budweiser, Einstein, sheikh, weird, protein, Heidi, Sheila, Streisand, eider, Keith, etc.

atmilkman
10-21-2011, 07:19
Tinker,
I'd really like to thank you for posting this thread. Because of you (and Ragu spaghetti sauce) I dreamt I was in a spelling bee. Dang Italian cooking. I'm Polish but I've got a bunch of Italian relatives and their cooking has always given me weird dreams. Anyway, because of your post, I'm dreaming about correct punctuation, spelling, usage, etc.
Thanks,
milkman

Gray Blazer
10-21-2011, 07:35
You did that real good.

Gray Blazer
10-21-2011, 07:42
Not to open a new can of beans or anything like that, but, this thead is now yesterdays post.

tiptoe
10-21-2011, 08:01
Attila, regarding many an applicant vs. many applicants, the first is more poetic and evocative, The second is standard English. Ours is a tough language to master (and teach) just because there are so few rules and lots of idiomatic expressions and multiple meanings. Congrats on speaking four languages. That's normal in many other parts of the world, but a rare thing here.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:24
I before e except before c, or when sounded like a as in neighbor or weigh. If we can agree that this is the rule, then "their" does follow it (since it sounds like weigh). Several words break the rule: leisure, Budweiser, Einstein, sheikh, weird, protein, Heidi, Sheila, Streisand, eider, Keith, etc.

This, like many other rules, often falls on its face because of local pronunciation. Here in Southern New England the word "their" is pronounced th-air. So I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the word their was breaking the "i before e" rule. In the Boston area, however, the word their is pronounced thay'-ah, so it should follow the rule.

Now, down south I still wonder why there is no short "e" sound.

To me, tent sounds like tint, pen sounds like pin (to the extent that it is often clarified by using the word "ink" before it, which I learned when I lived in Va.).

This makes it next to impossible to explain in print how we Yankees pronounce a short "e".

I sure do miss the south, though. I'd move back down in a heartbeat if it wasn't for church and family ties here. Folks are much more accomodating to strangers (at least initially :D).

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:30
Attila, regarding many an applicant vs. many applicants, the first is more poetic and evocative, The second is standard English. Ours is a tough language to master (and teach) just because there are so few rules and lots of idiomatic expressions and multiple meanings. Congrats on speaking four languages. That's normal in many other parts of the world, but a rare thing here.

That's because US AMURRICANS INVENTED the rest of the world.....................:D (Yes, I know that it should be we).

Hooch
10-21-2011, 08:39
I think thread's like this serve no real purpose, nor do the post's contained therein.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:42
Me and him vs. He and I (and variations)......

I've often heard it said on television "Me and him were going..............."

It should be He and I...............WHY?

Because He was going (you wouldn't say "Him was going")

and I was going (you wouldn't say "Me was going").

Besides, it's polite to put others first, He and I not I and He or Me and Him.

Now for something I hear fairly well educated people saying incorrectly:

"It was a great thing for he and I"

The same rule appies as in the first example:

You wouldn't say, "It was a great thing for I" would you?
You also wouldn't say, "It was a great thing for he" would you?

So, correctly, the phrase should be "It was a great thing for him and me" - remember, he comes first, as a matter of polite etiquette.

So, put together, you might say, "He and I went hiking. It was a great trip for him and me." Sounds incorrect to some, but it isn't.

Hooch
10-21-2011, 08:44
Great. Now we're GrammarBlaze. Where's CamoJack when you need him?

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 08:45
i miss matty a whole lot.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 08:45
Not to open a new can of beans or anything like that, but, this thead is now yesterdays post.You left out the the apostrophe intentionally, didn't you? Troublemaker. :D

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:46
I think thread's like this serve no real purpose, nor do the post's contained therein.

I believe that your post was tongue in cheek. Of course you realize that the apostrophe that you placed in threads and posts is incorrect. (or is it apostrophe's, or apostrophes', or apostrophesesiz') :D.
Heck, some people have a BALL talking about math:confused: all day. To each his/her own. I'm glad that we enjoy freedom of speech in this great country.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:49
Great. Now we're GrammarBlaze. Where's CamoJack when you need him?

You get a gold star for using an apostrophe in the word where's (it is a contraction for "where is"). (I'm just funnin' as we used to say in Va.) :)

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 08:50
amazing that we have probably the most culturally diverse country, yet most speak no more than one language.Although I can speak and understand spanish to a fair degree,I am only fluent in english, pig latin, and gibberish.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:51
I think I'm going to sit out this one for a while. Even I am getting bored............... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:53
amazing that we have probably the most culturally diverse country, yet most speak no more than one language.Although I can speak and understand spanish to a fair degree,I am only fluent in english, pig latin, and gibberish.

I resemble that remark as well. Americans (including me) are so parochial (I think I spelled that correctly, I'll go check and clean up after myself if I'm wrong ;)).

Gray Blazer
10-21-2011, 08:54
Speaking of apostrophes, Frank Zappa's Apostrophe was a great Album. It contained that great Alaskan-American phrase "Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow".

Tinker
10-21-2011, 08:58
I'm taking a time out and leaving this subject for a while (and they all said, "Thank God!").

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 09:02
Speaking of apostrophes, Frank Zappa's Apostrophe was a great Album. It contained that great Alaskan-American phrase "Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow".Those deadly yellow crystals . . .

Tinker
10-21-2011, 09:03
Speaking of apostrophes, Frank Zappa's Apostrophe was a great Album. It contained that great Alaskan-American phrase "Watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow".
I lied - time out after this (maybe). There's nothing wrong with the above post's punctuation. I guess that Gray Blazer wants someone to bite and say that "Huskies" should be "Husky's". Huskies is the correct plural of Husky.

Sorry, I failed to grasp the significance of the album title, and, yes, in case anyone wondered I was a fan of the late, great Frank Zappa. As a guitarist I'm familiar with his infamous "black page" which was a music sheet handed to guitarists wishing to have the opportunity to play with him. There were too many notes for most guitarists to play correctly. Eric Clapton is nicknamed "Old Slow Hand" - I'm MUCH slower.

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 09:16
d*** yellow snow. i cant' see!

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2011, 09:33
I'm not much into grammer, the whole subject makes my eyes glaze over. However, I do remember reading somewhere that the rule of not ending a sentence with a preposition is bogus. If I remember correctly, it's considered a rule only by some "elitist" and has erroneously filtered down to the rest of us.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 09:38
I'm not much into grammer,. . .Nor spelling. ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2011, 09:44
Nor spelling. ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Thanks, I feel less dumb now. BTW, it may be wrong but I like my spelling better, the "a" just makes it look wrong:)

Tinker
10-21-2011, 09:53
My grammar couldn't spell either.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 10:04
Thanks, I feel less dumb now. BTW, it may be wrong but I like my spelling better, the "a" just makes it look wrong:)I'm sure Kelsey Grammer agrees. FWIW, I think a lot of us have misspelled it - I know I have in the past. Phonetically, it doesn't follow the same rule as other words like stammer. English seems designed to make people appear dumb at times.

theoilman
10-21-2011, 10:20
No one has mentioned the stupid spelling of some names. Like that ball player from somewhere who spells his name "Favre" but pronounces it "Far-ve." With his spelling it ought to be (and I pronounce it as spelled) "Fav-re."

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2011, 10:22
It does seem to be a somewhat unique word. How many other words end with "ar"? A quick google seach turns up none, however if you do a search for words that end in "er" you get a pretty long list http://www.morewords.com/ends-with/er/. Therefore, I believe listening to the word, one naturally spells it with "er", at least that's why I did.

However, the word is not used very often in day-to-day sentences, but if it were I'd be willing to bet it would be listed in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

scope
10-21-2011, 10:30
Quoting... "Tinker,
I'd really like to thank you for posting this thread. Because of you (and Ragu spaghetti sauce) I dreamt I was in a spelling bee. Dang Italian cooking. I'm Polish but I've got a bunch of Italian relatives and their cooking has always given me weird dreams. Anyway, because of your post, I'm dreaming about correct punctuation, spelling, usage, etc.
Thanks,
milkman"

I assume you're being f'c'tious?

Farr Away
10-21-2011, 10:30
I don't bother correcting shelter log books. The authors aren't going to be back to read my rantings anyway. Those who don't want to learn won't, location doesn't matter, so I won't push the fine points of the English language on those who aren't interested.
The content of a person's character matters more to me than their (is this the only word to which the "I before E except after C" ruling does not apply?) spelling. I'm sure it won't come up as an issue in The Judgement. ;)

WingedMonkey;1210523]I'd hate to see what you add to others entries in shelter logs.

:sun[/QUOTE]

No, that's not the only exception. The way I heard the rule is "i before e, except after c or if it rhymes with a as in neighbor or weigh". Of course, their sounds like there, and doesn't fit the expanded rule either. :)

-FA

Farr Away
10-21-2011, 10:42
It does seem to be a somewhat unique word. How many other words end with "ar"? A quick google seach turns up none, however if you do a search for words that end in "er" you get a pretty long list http://www.morewords.com/ends-with/er/. Therefore, I believe listening to the word, one naturally spells it with "er", at least that's why I did.

However, the word is not used very often in day-to-day sentences, but if it were I'd be willing to bet it would be listed in this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

car, bar, tar, mar, far, gar, par, war, star

Or did you mean two syllable words?

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 10:49
stellar comments across the board i'm seeing.pillar of grammar this website should be.

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 10:50
linear thinking should people use.

strollingalong
10-21-2011, 10:56
a bit late on the boat, but people who say you can't end a sentence with a preposition are signing up to ONE book that's about 100 years old and that many years out of date.

"Where you going to?

Errrmm..... don't end a sentence with a preposition!

ok, where you going to, cockeralsucker"

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 11:06
where are you going ?

Tinker
10-21-2011, 13:25
where are you going ?

Some would answer "Wherever we want to be at". The simple, old fashioned way to say it would be "Wherever we want to be". No preposition needed.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 13:26
linear thinking should people use.
hikerboy57 is channeling Yoda. :D

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 13:27
hikerboy57 is channeling Yoda. :Dgood perception you show!:cool:

Gray Blazer
10-21-2011, 13:28
... is you be my baby or is you ain't?

Tinker
10-21-2011, 13:37
... is you be my baby or is you ain't?

I'm watching you.

chief
10-21-2011, 13:39
Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar nazis!

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 13:41
Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar nazis!a pound of feathers.

chief
10-21-2011, 13:41
Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar nazis!Even better: Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar nazis?

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 14:06
Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar nazis!

Even better: Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar nazis?

Even more better: Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar Nazis?

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 14:10
Even more better: Which are worse, hiker purists or grammar Nazis?
pound of lead.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 14:20
pound of lead.pound of flesh

Tinker
10-21-2011, 14:22
Grammar purists. ;) :D

Maybe we could learn more easily if we didn't make so much of "considering the source". That's probably more important regarding drinking water along the Trail.

I'm sorry, I forgot to post my rebuttal to the phrase "consider the source" -

Consider the content. In the end it won't be the source you are swallowing or rejecting.

DaveSail
10-21-2011, 14:28
YEAH . And this bothers me also : Short for " It Is " is " Its " ; only if it is possesive does it goe like this : " It's " . Quite often done wrong ! DVW

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 14:30
YEAH . And this bothers me also : Short for " It Is " is " Its " ; only if it is possesive does it goe like this : " It's " . Quite often done wrong ! DVW i think thats backwards.it's is a contrction of it is, while its is possessive.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 14:38
i think thats backwards.it's is a contrction of it is, while its is possessive.Its is like his, her, their, etc.. They are possessive adjectives. Possessive pronouns follow much the same rule - no apostrophe.

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2011, 16:26
car, bar, tar, mar, far, gar, par, war, star

Or did you mean two syllable words?
I should have been more specific. Yes I was thinking of two syllable words, specifically those in the same format as Grammar that end with an er sound, such as letter, matter, fatter, batter... I'm not saying there aren't any, but it's far more common to see these type words end in er. I would imgaine if the word was never heard before and someone made it up and pronounced it and asked how it should be spelled, at least 90% would spell it as Grammer.

However, I was kind of surprised after looking around a little by the amount of words with the er sound at the end, that end in or, here's the list http://www.scrabblefinder.com/ends-with/or/

This is also interesting, it's about 10,042 words with a r at the end of the word http://scrabblelookup.com/word/portion/search/r

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 16:38
This is also interesting, it's about 10,042 words with a r at the end of the word http://scrabblelookup.com/word/portion/search/r
Not for nothing, john, but just how much free time do you have? how many of the 10,042 have you gotten thru so far?:eek:

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2011, 16:44
I'm stuck on Vender...or is it Vendor:D

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 16:46
i love it!

hobby
10-21-2011, 18:36
Its is like his, her, their, etc.. They are possessive adjectives. Possessive pronouns follow much the same rule - no apostrophe.

In the North Ga mountains, where most will be starting, the proper possessive adjectives are:

his'n, her'n, that their'n, and the double apostrophe for contraction and possessive: y'all'es

tiptoe
10-24-2011, 13:41
just stirrin' the pot: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204618704576641182784805212.html

Gray Blazer
10-24-2011, 14:14
Orthographic bling?