PDA

View Full Version : Why don't most people finish?

barnanimal
10-21-2011, 09:11
I am in the midst of planning for a 2012 thru-hike. Ever since I have gotten the idea in my head, I've been kind of obsessing about it. I have spent a lot of my time at work reading this site and tons of trail journals and blogs from other thru-hikers.

It seems to me that for a lot of people, they like the idea of the thru-hike moreso than the actual hike. It's kind of like the P90X fitness program. I know tons of people who started it but quit after a few weeks.

I know it's hard work and injuries and financial issues come into play, but it seems that a big majority of people look for excuses to get off the trail early on. Just curious what is it that changes their mind?

I've noticed that a lot of the people who end up not finishing, or that mysteriously stop posting trail journals, are the same ones who put on a big production about what gear they are considering, how nice their blog looks, etc. It's almost as if they forget the whole point of the thing, and that's just hiking.

Not trying to offend anyone, but again I'm just curious what typically gets people off the trail.

Tinker
10-21-2011, 09:12
See the thread "You won't like thruhiking".

Slo-go'en
10-21-2011, 09:55
"It's just walking" - in the cold, in the heat, in the snow, in the rain, up hill, down hill, mile after mile, day after day lugging a 20 to 30 pound pack on your back, with blisters on your feet. For many people, the reality of this is not what thier romantic vision of being foot loose and fancy free in the woods would be like...

BobTheBuilder
10-21-2011, 10:01
I think the amazing thing is not that most people don't finish, but that some actually do. It is a lot of walking, and boredom has to set in at some point. People with the drive to push through that and finish a thru hike are pretty amazing to me.

WingedMonkey
10-21-2011, 10:22
I've noticed that a lot of the people who end up not finishing, or that mysteriously stop posting trail journals, are the same ones who put on a big production about what gear they are considering, how nice their blog looks, etc. It's almost as if they forget the whole point of the thing, and that's just hiking.

I've made the same conclusion sometimes. It's hard to resist placing bets on some of the pre-hike bravado and said posters chance of completing.

:p

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 10:31
Some can't do it physically or financially. But for most who stop / quit, I think it simply stops being enjoyable. The reality doesn't live up to the romantic notion. For me, there are and were a lot of other things that I enjoyed in my life other than hiking day after day after day . . . (repeat another 150+ times) in the cold, rain, heat, etc, aka the good days and bad. For some, the experience is a challenge that they simply must prove to themselves. But many get to the point where I think they say to themselves, "Okay, I could finish. I could tough it out. But why? I just don't want to anymore." It's a lot of effort and time, and for many completing the hike just doesn't any longer hold the internal reward (completion of goal, self-worth, etc) necessary to justify the effort. It's not that these people are "quitters" in the pejorative sense, as many have some incredible stories regarding goal completion in academics, athletics, business, etc. But LD hiking just isn't for everybody. And if it isn't enjoyable anymore, there really isn't any point, because hiking is ultimately rather pointless if you don't enjoy it.

strollingalong
10-21-2011, 10:36
My blog looks nice. I don't have any equipment yet. Will I finish?

strollingalong
10-21-2011, 10:39
My blog looks nice. I don't have any equipment yet. Will I finish?

Wasn't actually taking the P then. I'd like to know also.... I do have to admit, when I see people banging on about gear all day I wonder if they'll get past the first few hundred. I know what trail boredom feels like so, I'm hoping I'm ready :D

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 10:39
My blog looks nice. I don't have any equipment yet. Will I finish?Odds are, no.

hurryinghoosier
10-21-2011, 14:59
sickness at home

Spokes
10-21-2011, 15:59
Most people have a weak mental attitude and a rose-colored perception of what a thru hike is all about. To put it simply- a thru hike it's hard.

To illustrate, after my 2009 thru hike someone asked me: "So when it rains, you don't hike right"?

Coffee shot out my nose!

Jeff
10-21-2011, 16:05
Most people have a weak mental attitude and a rose-colored perception of what a thru hike is all about. To put it simply- a thru hike it's hard.

Agreed !! It's very hard. To finish a thruhike you have to want it more than anything else.

PapaGarrettP
10-21-2011, 16:37
I haven't thru hiked the AT. Honestly, it never occurred to me until I visited this site. But I have been in the woods for up to a month at a time. I personally can't take more time than this because of work. But if I hadn't spent more than a couple of weeks in the woods and I wanted to hike the At I would take two weeks and do a section hike, maybe with a town like Hot Springs, NC in the middle. But that's me.

Grampie
10-21-2011, 17:08
[QUOTE=Spokes;1210775]Most people have a weak mental attitude and a rose-colored perception of what a thru hike is all about. To put it simply- a thru hike it's hard.

Spokes, you hit the nail on the head. Too many folks today can't face all the hardships, so they go home. Most hikers who quit a thru won't go home and tell everyone how hard it was. They will make up some kind of story to justify them leaving the trail.

Cookerhiker
10-21-2011, 17:15
As the much-maligned Bill Bryson said, quoting his shuttle driver Wes Wisson, "it wasn't what they expected."

johnnyjohnson2043
10-21-2011, 17:21
I was mentally ready to keep hiking but unfortunately my knee didn't want anything to do with it. I even tried hanging out in a trail town for a couple of weeks hoping that my knee would get better so that I could just hop back on the trail. Didn't happen. Ultimately I think the pack weight was the biggest knee buster. My next attempt will definitely be with a much lighter pack. I also know a guy that broke his foot coming down from Blood Mountain in GA so injury is definitely one of the top reasons people get off the trail. I'm sure there are quite a few others, though.

4eyedbuzzard
10-21-2011, 17:32
Spokes, you hit the nail on the head. Too many folks today can't face all the hardships, so they go home. Most hikers who quit a thru won't go home and tell everyone how hard it was. They will make up some kind of story to justify them leaving the trail.

I think you take a lot of liberty in suggesting that most who don't finish a thru-hike make up stories or excuses. Nobody has to justify not finishing a thru-hike - it's a recreational pursuit. I, for one, just didn't enjoy hiking anymore after 6 weeks. Most people I know that quit pretty much say the same - it just wasn't enjoyable after several weeks. I had section hiked quite a bit before my attempt, so it wasn't that I didn't know what to expect from a physical or mental standpoint. But even expecting what it will be like doesn't mean you will like it once you actually try it. What I learned was that a week or so of hiking at a time is plenty for me. And obviously, it wasn't as important an activity or accomplishment to me as it is to some.

But since you opened the door, I know of quite a few thru-hikers who can't hold steady jobs, finish their education, advance in a career, etc, which is just as easily passed off to having a weak mental attitude, a rose colored perception of the real world, and being unable to face the hardships of everyday life. Many use thru-hiking the AT as an excuse to escape.

Pot, meet kettle.

hikerboy57
10-21-2011, 17:46
i agree with you 4E. ive always wanted to do a thru, but after meeting a lot of thrus in NH and ME over the years, many are just anxious to be done, and I had felt at these times I might be better off breaking it into 2 trips, so I wouldnt have to be out for 5-6 months. While I was enjoying the puzzle of Mahoosuc notch, some nobos weere "annoyerd" for lack of a better word, that Me was slowing them down with one last state to go. I sense the commitment involved in completing a thru is huge. although Id like to look back and take satisfaction in completing a thru, for me its always about the journey itself, and not the destination. Ill start north in march, hoping to make DWG in 3 months. i might continue from there, but I dont think I can just commit to the additional time.its a long time to be away from friends and family. and as some have said, many look to a thru as escapism from their problems, hoping the trail will provide some answers. but on or off the trail, you have to ask the right questions.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2011, 19:00
There is no sane, legitimate reason to go out and walk 2100 miles just because 'its there".
None.
There might be minutes of joy, but theres months of pain.
Some want to test themselves, some have over-romanticized it, some are looking to escape or hide from life troubles.

The reality of the hardships sets in quick, so many drop out before they even get started good.

Wake up -hike. Feel sick - hike. Raining - hike, cold- hike, diarrhea - hike, no food/bear got food - hike, out of water - hike, blistered feet- hike, sore knees - hike, poision ivy - hike, alone - hike, with people you cant stand - hike, exhausted - hike.

Lyle
10-21-2011, 22:03
I respectfully disagree with MuddyWaters, at least the part about minutes of joy/months of pain. The other side of the coin:

Wake-up - hike, beautiful sunrise - hike, feeling stronger than ever - hike, warm morning - hike, great cardiovascular shape - hike, fantastic view - hike, beauty of woods in snow - hike, meeting GREAT people - hike, GREAT trail magic - hike, getting to the next swimming hole - hike, sharing a laugh with someone you never would have passed the time of day with in the "real world" - hike, take your shoes off/soak your feet (AHHHHH) - hike, awesome sunset - hike, sharing at a campfire - hike, truely enjoying a meal of Ramen - hike, guzzle ice cold spring water - hike, look in wonder at the vibrant colors of wet wood and earth - hike, cool breeze on a hot day - hike, no mosquitoes - hike, watching hawks and eagles soar - hike, get fantastic photos - hike, help out a newby - hike, meet Bob Peoples - hike, sleep sound and dry while listening to the rain patter on the shelter or tent roof - hike, find the puppy dog in the awesome cloud formations - hike, watch a storm approach (but miss you) - hike, receive an ice cold beer from a bunch of high school kids on a 90 degree day - hike, have a stranger carry and return your camera that you lost two days earlier - hike, Share a lunch stop at Spence Field with a mother bear and her cubs - hike, etc, etc, etc.

You might gather, I think the good vastly outweighs the bad. Problem is, a lot of folks haven't learned that the bad days inevitably yield to superb days, and they decide not to wait it out. Or they do not learn to look for the great experiences that usually accompany the bad. It's mostly a mental game, some didn't understand that when they started.

johnnybgood
10-21-2011, 22:03
It's a myraid of answers : boredom , loneliness , physical injury , having a different perspective on what they thought was important , and finally ...realizing their daily routine was anything but a six month vacation.

I know how exhausting a week on the trail can be , can't imagine ever wanting to do a thru .

Mountain Mike
10-21-2011, 22:15
Thru hiking is about setting a goal & going for it. Some get injured & can't continue. I'm sure many get board. I did in so VA when I sprained my ankle. Limping down road to PO watching storm coming in & trying to limp faster to reach a bridge. Made it to bridge but was RR bridge so not much cover. Phoned home & said I was thinking about quiting. Support crew asked if I was sure & what I would need to continue if gear was lacking. Reminded me Of my ambition & so many people living through me vicariously. Long Green tunnel is hardest in middle/ VA Boaring & just doing miles you know you can do.

My unplanned part of my thru was hiking family. Numbers were way smaller. 88 saw explosion of new hiker due to National Geo article. Hiked on & off with many people & groups. Some I still keep in touch with today.

As far as people hiking AT to drop out od society??? Most are far from it. Maybe some time off from school or leave of absince from work. I have a few people that have worked to hike. Work winters to hike summers & get a job where they end up. I kinda admired them for their laid back pace with great food! Living life on their terms. Bums..no just hiked till weather got bad & found winter job to hole up till hiking season.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2011, 22:50
I might have come across as too negative. I only meant to point out that when things are unpleasant, you still have to walk. This quickly can turn a fun adventure into a forced march.

I think a lot of people who quit are not prepared for the realities of what a long distance hike requires. Physically obviously, but more importantly mentally. If someone fails to see the simple rewards around them, or doesnt have an appreciation for them, it would be much easier to become discouraged. Maybe thats the same thing as saying if they are hiking for the wrong reasons?

Lone Wolf
10-21-2011, 22:56
I am in the midst of planning for a 2012 thru-hike. Ever since I have gotten the idea in my head, I've been kind of obsessing about it. I have spent a lot of my time at work reading this site and tons of trail journals and blogs from other thru-hikers.

It seems to me that for a lot of people, they like the idea of the thru-hike moreso than the actual hike. It's kind of like the P90X fitness program. I know tons of people who started it but quit after a few weeks.

I know it's hard work and injuries and financial issues come into play, but it seems that a big majority of people look for excuses to get off the trail early on. Just curious what is it that changes their mind?

Not trying to offend anyone, but again I'm just curious what typically gets people off the trail.fantasy and reality are 2 different things. after a month the walkin' gets real old. you like pizza but do you wanna eat it every day for 5 months?

Amanita
10-21-2011, 23:04
This spring I set out to do a 6 week section, and didn't make it as far as I wanted to. So I guess I'll talk about why I quit. I actually quit twice, went home for a week and then hit the trail again with some gear readjustments.

Gear Issues:
Started with a 40lb pack the first time. Brought "7 days" of food that I didn't eat more then 1/4 of in the first week. All that extra weight put a lot of strain on my knees, ankles, and muscles. Fixed second time out, carried 25 lbs. Still brought too much food, but much more reasonable load.

Physical Issues:
Did not have enough physical preparation for the hike. Ramped up my mileage too quickly, went from doing 7s to 17s and didn't let myself rest at all, just kept trying to do more mileage than I had the day before. This from a basically sedentary lifestyle. My body just didn't have time to heal day after day.

Dietary/Nutritional Issues:
I brought "too much food" but I also wasn't eating enough, or necessarily the right things. Crashed really hard the first week because I hadn't eaten more than 300 calories in 24 hours. That was a really rough day, but taught me to make myself eat something even if I'm not hungry. But my diet on the trail was very low in protein and iron, which are needed to build all that muscle. By the time I quit for the second time blood tests showed my iron levels were very low. I basically made myself anemic by building too much muscle too quickly without proper nutrition.

Mental Issues:
I hiked alone, and being a normally pretty solitary person I had no idea that the loneliness would get to me so much. Some people on WB complain about "overcrowding" on the trail, but hiking in New England in the early season it was very empty. Went entire days only seeing 1-2 other people and spending the night alone, I couldn't handle it. I probably wouldn't have quit if I had a partner with me to keep me from overstretching myself and skipping meals, and keep me from getting so bored/lonely.

Things I'll Change: Plan to try a section again next year, with a few differences. My gear list the second time out, being about 25 pounds with food and water, worked out well. I plan to be more physically prepared by doing more warm up hikes, and make myself eat properly and take resting days. Going to bring nutritional supplements, especially iron, but being more in shape to start will help with those deficits, too. Going to hike with a partner, or if I cannot find one look for a more populated part of the trail, probably by starting further south that early in the season.

Ladytrekker
10-21-2011, 23:31
[QUOTE=Spokes;1210775]Most people have a weak mental attitude and a rose-colored perception of what a thru hike is all about. To put it simply- a thru hike it's hard.

Everything today is instant gratification people don't know what it is to wait for anything.

4shot
10-21-2011, 23:34

I think others have covered your question fairly well. Knowing the completion rate is actually a compelling reason to try it for oneself. After all, the city park nearby has a nice trail and many people start and finish that trail daily. However that trail doesn't have a website with people from around the globe reading and posting on it and dozens of films made and/or books written about it. Honestly if the completion rate of the AT for thru-hikers was 70% or greater would you (or any others) be planning and "obsessing" about your up-coming thru attempt? I know I probably wouldn't have considered one if that were the case.BTW, I am not trying to be sarcastic and also, enjoy the the next few months leading up to your hike - I think most people focus on it a reat deal in the months preceding their hike. actually, it's part of the experience. best wishes.

stranger
10-22-2011, 03:59
I attempted 2 thru-hikes, made it to Pearisburg the first time and Atkins the second time (620, 535 miles). I've also thru-hiked the Long Trail at 270 miles, Northville-Placid Trail at 122 miles and have done another 500 AT section hike, and those are just the longer trips I've done. For me...there is nothing better than a month long hike, or 6 weeks...but something happens around that point for me and I do get bored. I'm hiking the Long Trail again in August and will tack another 300 mile trip onto it most likely, but I know that's my threshold, I like 'shorter' long-distance hikes. Some others might thru-hike the AT and then never hike again, everyone is different. For me, hiking is a vehicle, something usually happens on my trips and there is a natural end. I know this based on experience, when I feel like it's time to stop - I do. I also think this is the reason I've been hiking for 18 years now, it never gets old, because I never let it get old. But everyone is different, people know when to stop, and it's different for everyone. For some, the goal is 'finishing' the trail, for them...there is only one option, but for many others it's not as black and white. People change alot during a long hike, circumstances change.

rickb
10-22-2011, 11:00
fantasy and reality are 2 different things. after a month the walkin' gets real old. you like pizza but do you wanna eat it every day for 5 months?

The people who take Warren Doyle's course enjoy a MUCH higher completion rate. Could be a difference within the self-selected group that signs up for his course, or it could be something they learn.

Might be worth investigating if one thinks that hiking the entire trail would be intrinsically more satisfying than just doing a part of it -- at least to the point of goggling up his on-line book.

Blissful
10-22-2011, 11:59
Wake up -hike. Feel sick - hike. Raining - hike, cold- hike, diarrhea - hike, no food/bear got food - hike, out of water - hike, blistered feet- hike, sore knees - hike, poision ivy - hike, alone - hike, with people you cant stand - hike, exhausted - hike.

Well there's all the negative stuff.

How about - great views, hike - trickling water in a spring, hike - awesome friends, hike - miracles every day out there, hike - wouldn't miss it for the world, hike, -getting myself in good shape, hike - once in a lifetime adventure in God's green earth and without manmade stuff, hike - yearning to go back out again and again as soon as possible, hike

Blissful
10-22-2011, 12:05
I attempted 2 thru-hikes, made it to Pearisburg the first time and Atkins the second time (620, 535 miles). I've also thru-hiked the Long Trail at 270 miles, Northville-Placid Trail at 122 miles and have done another 500 AT section hike, and those are just the longer trips I've done. For me...there is nothing better than a month long hike, or 6 weeks...but something happens around that point for me and I do get bored.

There is nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned section hike. Which is why I decided to create the special group on Facebook in Appalachian Trail Section Hikers - 200 plus members and counting - :) So much is celebrated with a thru hike. We celebrate and encourage anyone who goes out there and hikes even a mile (TOW celebrates going across the sidewalk in Damascus).

Blissful
10-22-2011, 12:07
[QUOTE=Grampie;1210800]

Everything today is instant gratification people don't know what it is to wait for anything.

Yep. Or work toward a goal either.

Blissful
10-22-2011, 12:08
This spring I set out to do a 6 week section, and didn't make it as far as I wanted to. So I guess I'll talk about why I quit. I actually quit twice, went home for a week and then hit the trail again with some gear readjustments.

Gear Issues:
Started with a 40lb pack the first time. Brought "7 days" of food that I didn't eat more then 1/4 of in the first week. All that extra weight put a lot of strain on my knees, ankles, and muscles. Fixed second time out, carried 25 lbs. Still brought too much food, but much more reasonable load.

Physical Issues:
Did not have enough physical preparation for the hike. Ramped up my mileage too quickly, went from doing 7s to 17s and didn't let myself rest at all, just kept trying to do more mileage than I had the day before. This from a basically sedentary lifestyle. My body just didn't have time to heal day after day.

Dietary/Nutritional Issues:
I brought "too much food" but I also wasn't eating enough, or necessarily the right things. Crashed really hard the first week because I hadn't eaten more than 300 calories in 24 hours. That was a really rough day, but taught me to make myself eat something even if I'm not hungry. But my diet on the trail was very low in protein and iron, which are needed to build all that muscle. By the time I quit for the second time blood tests showed my iron levels were very low. I basically made myself anemic by building too much muscle too quickly without proper nutrition.

Mental Issues:
I hiked alone, and being a normally pretty solitary person I had no idea that the loneliness would get to me so much. Some people on WB complain about "overcrowding" on the trail, but hiking in New England in the early season it was very empty. Went entire days only seeing 1-2 other people and spending the night alone, I couldn't handle it. I probably wouldn't have quit if I had a partner with me to keep me from overstretching myself and skipping meals, and keep me from getting so bored/lonely.

Things I'll Change: Plan to try a section again next year, with a few differences. My gear list the second time out, being about 25 pounds with food and water, worked out well. I plan to be more physically prepared by doing more warm up hikes, and make myself eat properly and take resting days. Going to bring nutritional supplements, especially iron, but being more in shape to start will help with those deficits, too. Going to hike with a partner, or if I cannot find one look for a more populated part of the trail, probably by starting further south that early in the season.

Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

mirabela
10-22-2011, 12:13
Reasons have been covered pretty well by now, but one thing I haven't seen come up yet is nutrition. The sour, defeated attitude that overtakes a lot of long-distance hikers often has a lot to do with this. A lot of the persevere-or-don't equation comes down to attitude and mental health, and this in turn is often more a function of physical health than we realize. You don't have to be suffering an acute musculoskeletal injury for your body to be screaming, 'stop doing this to me.'

If you are consciously attentive to the quality and variety of what you are feeding yourself, your odds are better.

skinewmexico
10-22-2011, 12:16
It happens in all kinds of situations. I knew a couple who had a custom 40' sailboat built, then spent 4 years gearing it up for a world cruise. Sold everything they had, lived in a super cheap apartment, saved every penny, then took early retirement. Lasted 6 months, sailed the boat back from the Med, and sold it. Apparently the idea of the journey was much more enjoyable than the reality of the journey. Personally, I can't think of many reasons to keep doing something when it's not fun anymore. Life is too short.

strollingalong
10-22-2011, 13:12
Odds are, no.

never mind the odds. I'll make it, I'm as stubborn as an old whiteblaze poster ;)

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2011, 13:24
never mind the odds. I'll make it, I'm as stubborn as an old whiteblaze poster ;)We do have a few of those here. :D

rickb
10-22-2011, 14:42
Personally, I can't think of many reasons to keep doing something when it's not fun anymore. Life is too short.

Andrew Skurka (http://www.andrewskurka.com/) gave a light weight backpacking seminar at the ALDHA conference -- in addition to his keynote presentation. He spoke of two kinds of fun:

1) The kind of activity that is enjoyable while you are doing it AND also enjoyable reflecting about it afterwards and,
2) The kind of activity that is NOT enjoyable while you are doing it BUT is enjoyable to reflect about afterwards.

Then he smiled (more to himself than to the audience I think) and said there was also a third kind of fun:

3) The kind of activity that is not enjoyable while your are doing it NOR when looking back on it.

Somehow I thought he made a great deal of sense. There is plenty of opportunity for both of the first two kinds on the AT. My guess is that some of the people who quite dont fully appreciate the second kind as much as those who finish.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2011, 16:06
I think pretty much all prospective thru-hikers start out with the same "high intention" to finish. But there are many different motivations as to why people want to thru-hike, which can play into whether or not they finish. Aside from physical injury, financial reasons, and those who bail at Neels, while the physical hardships can certainly play into the decision to leave the trail, by the time most people leave they are already in trail shape. So I think a lot of people who leave probably just get plain old tired of it - everthing from the hiking along with all the wet, dry, hot, cold, hiker food, etc. To me, just hiking day after day with nothing else to do gets really boring after a while. Even though the terrain and scenery changes, it isn't enough to keep my interest. After about 4 weeks, I just didn't find it to be the great adventure I thought it would be (and this was in '79 when April in the southern Appalachians was more of a wilderness experience than today's NOBO parade). I gave it two more weeks and went home. And I don't regret my decision. I'm a lot happier just hiking when and where and for how long I want a few times a year. For me, it keeps the experience and excitment fresh.

But I think even those who don't finish probably learn a great deal about themselves along the way. I think about trying again from time to time, but I know myself better than that now - I'd be bored and miserable after two weeks. Something much shorter, both mileage and especially time wise - more along the lines of doing Franconia to Gorham, sectioning the LT in maybe 3 or 4 section hikes, or a combination hike/fish through the 100 mile - just seems much more enjoyable to me.

Ya have to HYOH. There's no pay, no trophies, no parades. The only reason to do it is for each individual to enjoy the total experience in their own way, whether that be the experience itself, the reflection, or combination of both.

clsvideo
10-22-2011, 16:18
Two people that worked with me did a thru. One bailed about half way due to knee injury and one bailed with 800 miles to go because of an injury. She has actually been trying to finish the rest as sections and is pretty close to being done now.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2011, 16:52
I attempted 2 thru-hikes, made it to Pearisburg the first time and Atkins the second time (620, 535 miles). I've also thru-hiked the Long Trail at 270 miles, Northville-Placid Trail at 122 miles and have done another 500 AT section hike, and those are just the longer trips I've done. For me...there is nothing better than a month long hike, or 6 weeks...but something happens around that point for me and I do get bored. I'm hiking the Long Trail again in August and will tack another 300 mile trip onto it most likely, but I know that's my threshold, I like 'shorter' long-distance hikes. Some others might thru-hike the AT and then never hike again, everyone is different. For me, hiking is a vehicle, something usually happens on my trips and there is a natural end. I know this based on experience, when I feel like it's time to stop - I do. I also think this is the reason I've been hiking for 18 years now, it never gets old, because I never let it get old. But everyone is different, people know when to stop, and it's different for everyone. For some, the goal is 'finishing' the trail, for them...there is only one option, but for many others it's not as black and white. People change alot during a long hike, circumstances change.

Stranger, I recommend the Colorado Trail (http://www.trailjournals.com/CookerhikerCT11) for you. 482 miles, beautiful and scenic, not too crowded but not lonely. And while sufficiently challenging, not as difficult as the southernmost/westernmost part of Maine on the AT.

bobtomaskovic
10-22-2011, 18:40
I just finished my first AT thru even after studying and dreaming and following whiteblaze posts for a number of years I ws surprised how hard I found it to complete. I must have quit a hundred times, but I kept walking north. In every case the harder the challenge was the greater the reward. As an example I was wet and cold for almost a week coming into Monson then rewarded with Indian Summer thru the 100 mi. wilderness. The Whole experience was worth it, but that's just how it was for me.

stranger
10-22-2011, 20:16
Stranger, I recommend the Colorado Trail (http://www.trailjournals.com/CookerhikerCT11) for you. 482 miles, beautiful and scenic, not too crowded but not lonely. And while sufficiently challenging, not as difficult as the southernmost/westernmost part of Maine on the AT.

Haha...funny you mention that, I've been looking at the Colorado Trail for about 15 years now. Just don't have the initiative to head out there and give it a go, I'm convinced I will get lost as I can't use a map and compass... But I'm confident I can make it out there before I'm 40! There are not many trails I feel I 'need' to hike, the CT is one of them.

Cookerhiker
10-22-2011, 20:47
Haha...funny you mention that, I've been looking at the Colorado Trail for about 15 years now. Just don't have the initiative to head out there and give it a go, I'm convinced I will get lost as I can't use a map and compass... But I'm confident I can make it out there before I'm 40! There are not many trails I feel I 'need' to hike, the CT is one of them.

If I can do it, you certainly can. You don't need a compass. We carried the new guidebook and maps - no problems with navigation. Out of the 36 days hiking, there was only one in which we didn't see anyone - even the supposedly lonely & remote stretches had hikers and/or mountain bikers. Almost every day we crossed a road of some sort (as opposed to the JMT). So no, you won't get lost.

seabrookhiker
10-22-2011, 21:35
Regarding hiking with nothing else to do: on my solo hikes I look forward to the learning time. I pack my phone with podcasts on a variety of topics. I learned a *lot* on my attempted thru last year (from the podcasts, that is). Some people feel that you should be content to listen only to the sounds of nature, but I am not content to have a basically empty brain for months on end. I like to walk and have interesting things to think about. Had I not run out of time, having to go back to work, I'd have still been listening and learning all the way to Katahdin.

Different Socks
10-22-2011, 23:59
I just finished my first AT thru even after studying and dreaming and following whiteblaze posts for a number of years I ws surprised how hard I found it to complete. I must have quit a hundred times, but I kept walking north. In every case the harder the challenge was the greater the reward. As an example I was wet and cold for almost a week coming into Monson then rewarded with Indian Summer thru the 100 mi. wilderness. The Whole experience was worth it, but that's just how it was for me.

I like your attitude!! Keep it that way and adventures will always be good to you.

SassyWindsor
10-23-2011, 11:34

Would be hard to get lost, just ask a mountain biker for directions. Even in the no-biking wilderness areas of the trail you will still see bikers (law breakers). Entire trail is well worn.

4shot
10-23-2011, 12:57
Would be hard to get lost, just ask a mountain biker for directions. Even in the no-biking wilderness areas of the trail you will still see bikers (law breakers). Entire trail is well worn.

we all know that there is something wrong with people who prefer wheels over their own two feet as their method of transportation.;)

Cookerhiker
10-23-2011, 13:55

Nope, I didn't. All the mountain bikers I saw were following the rules. I distinctly remember one at a trailhead before a Wilderness Area pouring over a guidebook and then turning around and heading for the road.

SassyWindsor
10-23-2011, 15:33

I should have said "may" still see bikers..... I believe they have increased the fine significantly since I was out there. Some bikers would even attempt to carry/pack in bikes leading into a wilderness areas to try and fool rangers. I not opposed to bikers, I too bike, but rules should be obeyed. Bikers already have a bad enough reputation.