PDA

View Full Version : eVent Shortie Gaiters?

True Blue
10-21-2011, 22:34
I'm planning a thru 2012. I hike in a mid-calf skirt and high top boots (not trail runners). Since I don't have long pants to tuck into my boots, I wondered if waterproof gaiters like ID eVent Shortie gaiters are worth getting. I really don't like the strap idea, but would like to keep socks/feet as dry as possible. I'm planning on getting some dirty girl gaiters to keep rocks & debris out of my boots for drier weather. Opinions anyone?

Kerosene
10-22-2011, 08:23
If you're wearing high-top boots then I really don't think you need gaiters, eVent or otherwise, at least on 99% of the AT. First, you just don't get that much debris in your boots. Second, water will still drip down your legs past the top of your gaiters and wick down your socks into your boots (this happened to me after just a quarter-mile through a dewy meadow).
I'm going to assume that you have waterproof boots. What I think you'll find is that your boots will get wet after only a day or two of rain, regardless of whatever you try to do to keep dry. At that point, it will take several additional days to dry out the insides of a waterproof boot. Waterproof boots may work for a dayhike or a weekend trip, but my opinion is that you'd do better with a breathable boot.

Moose2001
10-22-2011, 09:53
Just go with the dirty girl's from the start.

English Stu
10-22-2011, 10:03
I have both some Dirty girls and the shortie event ,both are good. I added some velcro to the events and did away with the straps,my shoes already had their velcro for the Dirty Girls

Moose2001
10-22-2011, 10:05
but would like to keep socks/feet as dry as possible.

You might just as well give up on the idea of keeping your socks/feet dry right now. Even waterproof boots won't keep your feet dry. You're way better off with breathable boots. Less blisters, less weight and less money.

Slo-go'en
10-22-2011, 10:06
If your starting out ~Aprilish, your probably going to want to start out with pants. Switch out to the skirt later when it starts to get consistantly warm out.

Personally, I like to use knee high gaiters in the rainy season. They do slow down the water dripping down the legs into the boots and most importantly, they keep my pants legs clean of mud. If you do wear the skirt, long gaiters would help keep your lower legs warmer and much cleaner than without.

Tinker
10-22-2011, 19:33
If you're wearing high-top boots then I really don't think you need gaiters, eVent or otherwise, at least on 99% of the AT. First, you just don't get that much debris in your boots. Second, water will still drip down your legs past the top of your gaiters and wick down your socks into your boots (this happened to me after just a quarter-mile through a dewy meadow).
I'm going to assume that you have waterproof boots. What I think you'll find is that your boots will get wet after only a day or two of rain, regardless of whatever you try to do to keep dry. At that point, it will take several additional days to dry out the insides of a waterproof boot. Waterproof boots may work for a dayhike or a weekend trip, but my opinion is that you'd do better with a breathable boot.

I agree with all of the above. Low topped, breathable, quick drying shoes are what most thruhikers I've met were wearing. Most used no gaiters or completely breathable ones. I bought some Outdoor Research uncoated nylon shorty gaiters and found that, for me, even they were too warm. I bought a very expensive pair of Shoeller fabric low gaiters from EMS and those are the only ones I can wear for any length of time. Anything remotely waterproof will not be very breathable at all. I have an eVent rain jacket (REI) and an eVent bivy (RAB), and they only breathe enough to disperse moisture when I am not exerting myself. The bivy, of course, is a bit of a different story, but I still have to cool down before using it or I end up drenched in my own sweat. I, however, tend to be a sweaty person, so ymmv.

Tinker
10-22-2011, 19:46
Btw: Gaiters often fail to keep the wearer's shoes and socks dry because water hitting the bare legs runs down inside the gaiters and soaks the socks. Waterproof pants and a jacket are necessary to complete the waterproof package. It's either waterproof from head to toe (and likely sweaty), or having a gap somewhere and suffering from wet socks.

In other words:

You WILL get wet. (and often for days). Drying your feet before bed and possibly using some rubbing alcohol (not stove alcohol with the poison in it) on your feet to kill fungus (athlete's foot creme isn't a bad idea to take along, either) is probably the best you can do. I can deal with a few days of rain, but after a week it becomes frustrating.
Another personal experience: I hiked with Goretex boots in Ga. in 2006 and my feet were damp all the time. The fact that it never got above 70 and was often around 40 helped make them more breathable, but they were still damp. The optimum conditions for Waterproof/Breathable fabrics are actually very cold and very DRY. eVent and Gore-tex are great for ski gear and other cold weather pursuits, but once boots get damp inside, it actually prevents them from drying as quickly as non-waterproof footwear.
Also: Sweat messes with the waterproofness of these fabrics because it contains salt, which wicks water toward itself (in other words from the outside of your boot to the inside). I've seen folks with leather boots lined with Gore-tex using boot grease because of this, making the membrane useless as far as breathability is concerned.