PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking the Te Araroa trail December 2010

Dirty Harry
10-21-2011, 23:55
Anyone else? Super amped to be back on the trail!

Dirty Harry
10-21-2011, 23:57
2011* woops.

stranger
10-22-2011, 03:16
Heya that's awesome, the guidebook won't be finished by then, and there will probably still be some sections that are not officially open, but people have already done it. I'm a permanent resident of New Zealand and lived there for 7 years, I'm in Sydney now but will be over there from Christmas to the end of January so keep in touch and I might be able to arrange some 'magic'. If you have any questions about NZ in general, logistics, flights, getting around, food, etc...please drop me a line, happy to help. You are picking the best time, late November through March is the most settled weather. Good luck mate!

Dirty Harry
10-25-2011, 14:51
Do you happen to know when this guide book is coming out and the name of the book? Thanks stranger.

stranger
10-25-2011, 19:15
Do you happen to know when this guide book is coming out and the name of the book? Thanks stranger.

Below is a quote from an email I sent the Te Araroa trust earlier in the year...you might want to contact them directly. I might also point out that this project was originally planned to be complete by 2005, so the hope of getting a guidebook out by late November might be a tad wishful thinking, although they are close to finishing soon. You might also want to check Trail Journals and also www.teararoa.org.nz where there are journals of those who have done the route.

Most of the South Island is now marked, and it is more likely that you would find a continuous 1,000 section there than in the North Island, simply because there is more DOC land there. Bear in mind though that much of it is also very remote, and some parts are merely marked routes, which would require you to find your way from marker to marker, without a constructed track.

We are hoping to have the whole route marked by the end of this year, although there will still be some road bypasses and road connectors. A Te Araroa book with maps, photos and track notes is due in the shops in late November, and at that stage we can say that Te Araroa is officially open.

You may like to talk to other walkers on the Google Group on our home page.

Regards -

Miriam Beatson,

Secretary,

Te Araroa Trust