PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike: Am I an idiot

clsvideo
10-22-2011, 09:34
So, I'm less than a month away from my section hike in Georgia. I'm a pretty fit guy but with work and kids I haven't spent any time training for the mountians (I live and hike in flat Florida). So, I know I'm going to be hurting but my question is, will I still enjoy myself or will I regret going unprepaired? :confused:

Sailing_Faith
10-22-2011, 09:43
I have no basis to reply to this thread... but no. You are not an idiot.

This life passes. Living deliberately is ALWAYS the right choice.... surely others better qualified will reply as to the technical
aspects of proper training... but I wanted to weigh in on the question of doing something you purposed to do...

Go for it.

--------

I am leaving Sunday to spend a week (or 2) hiking.. I have also been training in FL although I have some hills where I am (nothing like moutains)...

I have been walking most every night between 4 and 10 miles (as checked with GPS) with an increasing load in my pack (added wine box bladders of water to get up to 40#). Time will tell what benefit this had, but I sure as heck feel better about carying the load then I did when I started.

Some training has to be better then none... try to get out there and do some miles even if only to make sure your feet and your chosen footwear get along.

(wait for more qualified replies, and go for it!)

Peace,

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2011, 09:47
You'll be fine as long as you don't try to do too many miles. Hike at a reasonable pace, take breaks, and enjoy the walk. Leave enough daylight to set up camp without being rushed. It's not like you really need to get anyplace in particular by covering "X" miles per day.

garlic08
10-22-2011, 09:58
I'm an advocate for being physically prepared before a big hike. So many people make such a huge investment in a hike, in terms of money, career and family, it just makes sense to be as ready for it as you can.

But it sounds like you're really just testing the waters here, with a minimal investment. It's how you figure out if you're going to get bitten by the bug or not. It all depends on where your head is, and nobody can really answer that for you. As humor writer Patrick McManus puts it, it can be a "fine and pleasant misery". Or "second order fun" as I saw here the other day. Best of luck with your trip.

Slo-go'en
10-22-2011, 10:16
The best way to prepair for a hike is simply to do a lot of walking before hand. Doesn't matter if it's not hilly. Just go out and walk 3-4 miles every morning or evening. I usually get serious about doing that everyday about 2 weeks before my hike.

As to how well you'll enjoy yourself depends more on the weather and how well perpaired you are to deal with with it if it isn't nice and warm and sunny the whole time.

Praha4
10-22-2011, 10:29
I'm also from Florida, so I know exactly what your'e talking about. But you're young, you're hiking in the best hiking weather of the year (cool days), so just take it easy and enjoy it. If this is your first backpack trip to the GA mountains, and you haven't been doing any hills training, I'd recommend not doing more than 10 miles per day at first, the shelters north of Springer are spaced around 7.5 miles apart (Hawk Mtn and Gooch), then it's a bit farther to Woods Hole or Neels Gap from there, but you can always find a nice tent camping site north of Woody Gap. Have a great time.

Feral Bill
10-22-2011, 11:01
A technique I use when confronting long climbs is to move crazy, cartoonishly slow. You can get up almost anything without pain if you go slow enough that you don't need to take breaks. The downhills may get you. So be careful there too.

JaxHiker
10-22-2011, 11:17
I wouldn't sweat it. You say you're fit. I'm not. :) I get out of my cube a couple of times a year to do "real" hiking and I have yet to keel over dead. Take the uphills at a decent pace and to rush while you're getting your hiking legs. You should be fine.

clsvideo
10-22-2011, 11:21
Thanks all. We need to average 10 miles per day. My pack weight will be around 30lbs wet. I used to be a distance runner so i'm comfortable with pacing. I think I'll be good and will try to walk as much as I can in the next 3 weeks. Just wanted some opinions since I haven't done any mountain backpacking before. The Florida Trail is pretty flat and that is where my backpacking has been. Thanks again.

Blissful
10-22-2011, 11:54
The only way you prepare is to go hike. So go, but go with a good attitude and flexibility

BlakeGrice
10-22-2011, 14:28
Im doing the same in a month- just "going for it" for 5 days or so

max patch
10-22-2011, 15:05
i used to live in Miami. My very first backpacking trip I drove to the GSMNP since I knew the trail went thru there, and did a 5 day hike @ about 10 miles a day. No "training" but was in good shape as a 20 something. No problems.

modiyooch
10-22-2011, 15:22
I personally don't think that you can train for it. Just be fit. I came from flat lands and the major problem for me was the immediate blisters from going uphill (1980)

Bearpaw
10-22-2011, 15:29
You'll be fine. GA is tougher hiking than you can manage in the flatlands of Florida, but 10 MPD is totally manageable for someone in decent shape.

theoilman
10-22-2011, 19:08
From a voice of experience - yes, it is impossible to train hard enough in Florida! You will probably find the trail unbelievably hard, I know I did. Did I enjoy it? - Yes. Will I go back? Yes, planning on SNP in May. You are a lot younger than my 64, you should do fine. Don't try to do too much per day. HYOK. Hike your own hike, go at a speed and effort you are comfortable with.

mikec
10-22-2011, 19:38
I agree what others have said. Just take it slow, go shelter to shelter and you'll be fine. Also, it is cold in the GA mountains in the winter. Take a 0 or 20 degree bag and you will be comfortable at night (I'm assuming that you will be doing this hike in November or December, 2011?)

clsvideo
10-22-2011, 21:28
I agree what others have said. Just take it slow, go shelter to shelter and you'll be fine. Also, it is cold in the GA mountains in the winter. Take a 0 or 20 degree bag and you will be comfortable at night (I'm assuming that you will be doing this hike in November or December, 2011?)

Yes, going November of this year. Temps are supposed to be 60's in day 30's at night. I've experienced those temps and lower here in Florida and I have my sleeping system configured pretty well and my clothes layering system too. I was comfortable on the Florida Trail a couple years ago when it got down to 17 degrees at night. That was with my 35 degree bag, BA aircore mattress and two base layers of clothes. I even had to shed some clothes during the night because I was too hot. Not too worried about the temp aspect of the hike.

johnnybgood
10-22-2011, 22:01
If you take your time you should thru GA in 10 days (7.5 Miles), and get your 80 miler patch.

Have you thought about taking a sleeping bag liner in case the temps are below 30 * ?

bigcranky
10-22-2011, 22:25
Not too worried about the temp aspect of the hike.

Um, okay, now you have me worried. First, having done a lot of hiking in the Southern Appalachians in November, 60s over 30s is optimistic by at least 10 degrees. Second, at 3000-4000 feet you'll get a LOT of wind howling through the gaps, right through your camp, your tent, your bag, and you. A 35-F bag with two base layers is a recipe for some seriously unhappy nights in those conditions.

Your fitness level sounds fine.

Northern Lights
10-22-2011, 22:33
Dear Lord Baby Jesus! Just go!! I had not prepared for it other than regular walking on flat ground. Yes your calves will hurt while hiking the mountains, but it is not at all unbearable. Georgia is beautiful and you will love it!

Hoop
10-22-2011, 22:45
Dude, listen to bigcranky about the night winds.

lostinfflood
10-23-2011, 07:06
I did my first section hike in the great state of NJ this summer. I hike every day with my two Border Collies. A few weeks before I started I began wearing my daypack with about 20pounds in it. It really helped me get prepared. My feet took the greatest beating. My advice, from my podiatrist, wear two pairs of socks to help prevent blisters. Either way get out there and do it.

clsvideo
10-23-2011, 09:27
Dude, listen to bigcranky about the night winds.

Thanks for the advise on the winds. I'll pack my puffy jacket and will have my wind shell.

clsvideo
10-23-2011, 09:28
I did my first section hike in the great state of NJ this summer. I hike every day with my two Border Collies. A few weeks before I started I began wearing my daypack with about 20pounds in it. It really helped me get prepared. My feet took the greatest beating. My advice, from my podiatrist, wear two pairs of socks to help prevent blisters. Either way get out there and do it.

Thanks for the advice about the two pairs of socks. I learned this on the FT and have already implemented this.

T.S.Kobzol
10-23-2011, 14:05
Listen to your heart and go only as fast as your heart rate allows you. It is that simple. It is better to go slow like a snail without breaks than faster, hyperventilating and taking breaks.

modiyooch
10-23-2011, 16:28
I just walk all day and pitch a tent near sunset. I don't worry about the mileage and I don't carry a watch. I get up with the sun, and go down with the sun. I too dress in layers, prepared and DON'T GET WET.

topshelf
10-23-2011, 19:22
hike a mileage you're comfortable with. It won't hurt unless you hike too many miles. Just go out and enjoy it

MuddyWaters
10-23-2011, 20:33
you can get in fine shape without hiking hills.

Cardio-wise a stairmaster at a healthclub works great. You could even wear a pack if you wanted too.

resistance training for legs and calves , etc can get the soreness out of the way ahead of time , before you go hike. If your intensity level is high enough, you wont experience any delayed onset muscle soreness from hiking.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2011, 20:45
So, I'm less than a month away from my section hike in Georgia. I'm a pretty fit guy but with work and kids I haven't spent any time training for the mountians (I live and hike in flat Florida). So, I know I'm going to be hurting but my question is, will I still enjoy myself or will I regret going unprepaired? :confused:are you serious? you're not goin' to everest. the AT in georgia is easy. you're just walkin'. no "training" required

clsvideo
10-23-2011, 21:16
are you serious? you're not goin' to everest. the AT in georgia is easy. you're just walkin'. no "training" required

LOL, thanks.

clsvideo
10-23-2011, 21:17
you can get in fine shape without hiking hills.

Cardio-wise a stairmaster at a healthclub works great. You could even wear a pack if you wanted too.

resistance training for legs and calves , etc can get the soreness out of the way ahead of time , before you go hike. If your intensity level is high enough, you wont experience any delayed onset muscle soreness from hiking.

Thanks. I know what I should be doing (my wife is a personal trainer and I have a free gym membership), just haven't had time with work and the kids.

Del Q
10-23-2011, 21:23
Do what you can, unless you work out a LOT nothing seems to compare to the rigor of backpacking on the AT, wise statement, only real way to prep is to backpack, and you cannot do that in FLA.

Stair-stepper or elliptical with a 30 lbs pack is about as close as you can get. Most hike for 6-10 or more hours per day, that is yet another issue, how many HOURS of cardio are you or do you have time to do? Not 6+ hours.

Do the best you can, hike slowly, take it easy on the ups & downs, and enjoy your hike. Most times it is the mind that gives out, not the body.

Gray Blazer
10-24-2011, 07:54
I see you are from Gainesville, also. Go to the Devil's Millhopper and go up and down the stairs a few times. The uphills end eventually. Just remember to tell yourself, if you're not moving you're not getting anywhere. Good luck. Have fun. Peace out.

PapaGarrettP
10-24-2011, 09:08
My son, best friend, and I did the same thing last March. We trained pretty minimally in South Florida and then section-hiked NC-Tennessee. Two biggest lessons learned: definitely keep pack weight as low as possible (sounds like you are on top of that) and don't expect to cover huge distance. We averaged 9 miles per day. Now we are getting ready to hike from Amicalola Falls to Neals Gap in Georgia in November and have been hiking and camping every weekend. Just Jonathan Dickinson park this weekend. Nine miles out and back with 40-45 lbs. Just don't want to be really sore on Day 2&3 of our trip.

scope
10-24-2011, 10:16
Thanks all. We need to average 10 miles per day. My pack weight will be around 30lbs wet. I used to be a distance runner so i'm comfortable with pacing. I think I'll be good and will try to walk as much as I can in the next 3 weeks. Just wanted some opinions since I haven't done any mountain backpacking before. The Florida Trail is pretty flat and that is where my backpacking has been. Thanks again.

Two miles an hour for 5 hours of actual hiking per day is good - not easy, but not too hard. Go climb some actual stairs in an office bldg if you can.

Yes, going November of this year. Temps are supposed to be 60's in day 30's at night. I've experienced those temps and lower here in Florida and I have my sleeping system configured pretty well and my clothes layering system too. I was comfortable on the Florida Trail a couple years ago when it got down to 17 degrees at night. That was with my 35 degree bag, BA aircore mattress and two base layers of clothes. I even had to shed some clothes during the night because I was too hot. Not too worried about the temp aspect of the hike.

Thanks for the advise on the winds. I'll pack my puffy jacket and will have my wind shell.

OK, you may have been planning to bring it anyway, but it sounds like you weren't, and that's a red flag. No reason not to bring one that time of year. You may be hiking in a tshirt during the day, but you'll be glad you had that puffy later.

OldFeet
10-24-2011, 11:00
Ten miles per day sounds very reasonable and should give you plenty of daylight hours to accomplish your daily mileage. With that in mind, my suggestion is to take fairly frequent short rest stops even if you don't feel you need them. I've found that taking a 5-10 minute break for every 75-90 minutes of hiking has resulted in few aches and pains during my section hikes.

Tinker
10-24-2011, 11:11
clsvideo: You are not an idiot. I proudly lay claim to that title. It is the ultimate disclaimer! :D ;) Carry on. Others have already answered your question better than I could have. :)

Gray Blazer
10-24-2011, 11:37
[QUOTE=scope;1211390]Two miles an hour for 5 hours of actual hiking per day is good - not easy, but not too hard. Go climb some actual stairs in an office bldg if you can.

Suggestion: Shands has at least seven floors

Ladytrekker
10-24-2011, 11:39
Go to the Swamp and go up and down the entrance and exit ramps where you enter the stadium I go to all the games there and that is a workout if done many times. Have a great hike.

Old Hiker
10-24-2011, 11:41
No stairs where you work? I've used the 2 flights here at my school after work with my pack, a LARGE, steep-sided retention pond near my house and any and all elevation I could find for each of my section hikes. I worried more about up and down than about the flats. My Scout troop and I can burn what few flat areas there were with no problems!

Like everyone says: slow up AND down hills, stick or poles, low pack weight, etc. Watch the knees, esp. By the time a week has gone by, I'm doing great, but the hike is over!

Coal Miner
10-24-2011, 12:04
I also live in Florida (Sarasota) and have done many AT section hikes over the last 30 years. I have always spent some time getting in shape before my hikes. This time it was spur of the moment and I went by myself (first time ever), and did nothing to prepare. The section I did was pretty tough, NB up Roan Mountain, Big Hump, Unika etc. Because I was by myself, I just hiked until I was ready to stop, some days 17, 18, one day 7. Best trip ever. Unlike every other time, no schedule, no one to meet at a selected site or shelter. I am 50 so I did take a SPOT to let my wife know I was OK everyday. Be flexible and have fun, weather should be great!!

clsvideo
10-24-2011, 12:29
Go to the Swamp and go up and down the entrance and exit ramps where you enter the stadium I go to all the games there and that is a workout if done many times. Have a great hike.

Thanks. I actually did that early on but got busy. Considering I park right next to there for work, I really have no excuse though. Might get back on that after work a couple days a week.

SnakeSession
10-24-2011, 12:30
I just did 50 miles of the GA section and met lots of hikers from FL. They all said they were not used to the hills and temps but all seemed to be having fun. It's already in the 60s/30s and can get cooler with no warning.

The ups and downs and the cold/wind will be a challange but sounds like you're up for it.

You don't have to count on 10 miles a day. This is possible of course but the days are getting shorter. If you come to a nice shelter or camp and want to hang out - do it. If you don't end your hike exactly where you planned no big deal.

Like the others have said just take your time and enjoy the hike. Please let us know how things went.

clsvideo
10-24-2011, 12:30
No stairs where you work? I've used the 2 flights here at my school after work with my pack, a LARGE, steep-sided retention pond near my house and any and all elevation I could find for each of my section hikes. I worried more about up and down than about the flats. My Scout troop and I can burn what few flat areas there were with no problems!

Like everyone says: slow up AND down hills, stick or poles, low pack weight, etc. Watch the knees, esp. By the time a week has gone by, I'm doing great, but the hike is over!

Thanks! My office is on the third floor of my building and I always take the stairs as much as possible.

clsvideo
10-24-2011, 12:32
I just did 50 miles of the GA section and met lots of hikers from FL. They all said they were not used to the hills and temps but all seemed to be having fun. It's already in the 60s/30s and can get cooler with no warning.

The ups and downs and the cold/wind will be a challange but sounds like you're up for it.

You don't have to count on 10 miles a day. This is possible of course but the days are getting shorter. If you come to a nice shelter or camp and want to hang out - do it. If you don't end your hike exactly where you planned no big deal.

Like the others have said just take your time and enjoy the hike. Please let us know how things went.

Thanks! I'll definitely follow up after the trip.

clsvideo
10-24-2011, 12:33
I also live in Florida (Sarasota) and have done many AT section hikes over the last 30 years. I have always spent some time getting in shape before my hikes. This time it was spur of the moment and I went by myself (first time ever), and did nothing to prepare. The section I did was pretty tough, NB up Roan Mountain, Big Hump, Unika etc. Because I was by myself, I just hiked until I was ready to stop, some days 17, 18, one day 7. Best trip ever. Unlike every other time, no schedule, no one to meet at a selected site or shelter. I am 50 so I did take a SPOT to let my wife know I was OK everyday. Be flexible and have fun, weather should be great!!

Hey, I'm from the Sarasota area originally. I grew up in North Port.

clsvideo
10-24-2011, 12:49
OK, you may have been planning to bring it anyway, but it sounds like you weren't, and that's a red flag. No reason not to bring one that time of year. You may be hiking in a tshirt during the day, but you'll be glad you had that puffy later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my thought there was that I would be in my sleeping bag before it got too cold and I was trying to shave pounds. I originally was going to just bring two layers of base layer which usually I am comfortable in down to the low 50's. Anyway, I'm glad you all chimed in and saved me from myself. I'm now packing my insulated later that I was going to leave behind. I should be prepared for anything temp wise now.

Gray Blazer
10-24-2011, 13:35
Thanks. I actually did that early on but got busy. Considering I park right next to there for work, I really have no excuse though. Might get back on that after work a couple days a week.

Ther's a flight of stairs on the west side next to the north end zone that goes straight up for several flights. The ramp and the stairs to the top of the north end zone work pretty good, also.

SoFlHiker
10-24-2011, 15:54
PapaGarrett, have you been to Vista View Park in Broward, it is off of I-75 by Griffin, it is great to do loops of up and down, the loop is approx. 1.2 miles i think

Chatter98
10-24-2011, 17:42
The good thing about GA section also is that there are numerous bail out points if you need them and they have very easy access. The first from Springer is Woody gap and then immediately Neels, after that you have Hiawassee. I would look and keep shuttle service numbers available just in case.

PapaGarrettP
10-25-2011, 13:15
PapaGarrett, have you been to Vista View Park in Broward, it is off of I-75 by Griffin, it is great to do loops of up and down, the loop is approx. 1.2 miles i think
Thanks for the recommendation, SoFlHiker. I think we will try it on Saturday. We have been going out to Holiday Everglades and walking the levy. The hills you describe are on top of an old trash dump and are now a park, right?
PapaG

Fat Man Walking
10-25-2011, 21:27
As Nike would say, "Just Do It."

But, know your limitations. I have been sectioning for the past 12 years, two weeks at a time. Found out early when I would go for a week at a time, just about the time I got somewhat in trail shape (and that was debatable), it was time to go home.

So, I extended for a week and was able to knock out some miles. Used to go totally unprepared with the mindset that I would get in shape on the trail. Did that until I about died going up Peter's Mt. coming out of Pearisburg, VA. Vowed then to get in shape (at least cardio shape where I would recover quicker on the strenuous parts) so I could enjoy it more.

Even this year when I wasn't totally in shape, I was able to put some miles behind me and enjoy the trail better than before I was getting into great (for me) shape before going.

But as a good friend recently reminded me, "a tough day on the trail is always better than a great day in the office."

Go and have a ball!!!

clsvideo
10-25-2011, 21:36
Thanks Fat Man Walking! Just about 2 weeks until my hike. I'm super excited.

Miami Joe
10-25-2011, 22:22
Do stadiums at The Swamp with your pack!

peakseeker
10-26-2011, 10:30
The good thing about GA section also is that there are numerous bail out points if you need them and they have very easy access. The first from Springer is Woody gap and then immediately Neels, after that you have Hiawassee. I would look and keep shuttle service numbers available just in case. There are many Forest Roads in between Springer and Woody also... then 348 at Hogpen Gap, and at Unicoi Gap @ 75 and after TRAY MT before Addis Gap is Wildcat Creek Rd which is some 9 miles from Lake Burton Area / Park.

As to whether if you can do it..... To me - sure BUT ( and I have just done this whole section recently- including the a/falls approach trail), it is tough! I am a little older but I am in shape. I work out with weight frequently, run, and do aerobic exercises - mostly by doing the stairmaster thing - and to be honest was more than this, it was the mental thing. I personally could see the challenge to you being mental. Ga winters can be much colder on those MTs than 30's with the winds. And if it rains...oh me! So you being from Florida with that " puffy nice weather" you have to be prepared or you will be miserable. Not trying to be negative, just honest. I am not like those hikers that tell you you have only 1/4 mile or it is just around the corner to go when in reality you have 2-3 miles to go. So with all that I am going to tell you.... dude you better get mentally ready for some of the most challenging physical exercise of your life. I played College Football and Baseball and this ranks right up there with them. But the sites are gorgeous and worth every mile - If you prepare, you'll enjoy!

clsvideo
10-26-2011, 10:36
There are many Forest Roads in between Springer and Woody also... then 348 at Hogpen Gap, and at Unicoi Gap @ 75 and after TRAY MT before Addis Gap is Wildcat Creek Rd which is some 9 miles from Lake Burton Area / Park.

As to whether if you can do it..... To me - sure BUT ( and I have just done this whole section recently- including the a/falls approach trail), it is tough! I am a little older but I am in shape. I work out with weight frequently, run, and do aerobic exercises - mostly by doing the stairmaster thing - and to be honest was more than this, it was the mental thing. I personally could see the challenge to you being mental. Ga winters can be much colder on those MTs than 30's with the winds. And if it rains...oh me! So you being from Florida with that " puffy nice weather" you have to be prepared or you will be miserable. Not trying to be negative, just honest. I am not like those hikers that tell you you have only 1/4 mile or it is just around the corner to go when in reality you have 2-3 miles to go. So with all that I am going to tell you.... dude you better get mentally ready for some of the most challenging physical exercise of your life. I played College Football and Baseball and this ranks right up there with them. But the sites are gorgeous and worth every mile - If you prepare, you'll enjoy!

Thanks Peakseeker. I think I'm good mentally. I was a distance runner for years and am pretty good at zoning out and getting in a good pace I can handle. Thanks everyone for the support.

peakseeker
10-26-2011, 11:02
Thanks Peakseeker. I think I'm good mentally. I was a distance runner for years and am pretty good at zoning out and getting in a good pace I can handle. Thanks everyone for the support. Your welcome. Just one other note. Male sure you mix and mingle (talk) to other hikers on the TRAILS, you will get some amazing stories. I know I have.

clsvideo
10-26-2011, 11:32
Your welcome. Just one other note. Male sure you mix and mingle (talk) to other hikers on the TRAILS, you will get some amazing stories. I know I have.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to this aspect. I love meeting and talking to new people. My hiking partner, not so much though. LOL.

BobTheBuilder
10-26-2011, 12:02
Yes, you are an idiot, welcome to the club.

As a fellow flatlander with 10 sections in the last five years, I have learned the following:
-Keep your miles down the first two or three days, no matter how good you feel
-It takes me 4-5 days of hiking to get back in trail condition
-Training on stairs is good, but down stairs is as important as upstairs for strengthening your knees
-BodyGlide on your feet reduces blisters a lot

That's about it. You will probably adjust your gear after the first few sections as you get used to it and either like or don't like it, and as you see what other people use. You will also probably encounter some former thruhikers out on their own section hikes. They are typically upbeat personalities and are great sources for gear ideas.

I'm off to Pearisburg to start my next section this weekend. Good luck!

Gray Blazer
10-26-2011, 12:21
Ga winters can be much colder on those MTs than 30's with the winds. And if it rains...oh me! So you being from Florida with that " puffy nice weather" you have to be prepared or you will be miserable.

This is so true. I almost froze to death in late March in the Nantahalas one year. It got down to about 7 degrees at night and not above freezing for 4 days. Thermal underwear, wool cap, wool socks and at least a 20 degree bag. A hooded rain jacket has helped me survive many cold days in the Mnts and is my best piece of gear. Some good gloves and liners will help you, also.

Mariano
10-26-2011, 12:25
helloo.. Mariano From NJ here. they say nothing would prepare you to go up and down hills with a heavy load on your back than actually going up and down hills with a heavy load on your back.. don't worry about it.. you'll be fine.

i has not fit at all.. and had never done any hiking before i hiked the hilly NJ section of the AT. i averaged about 14 - 15 miles a day..(it did hurt a bit) but i had a great time and i fell in love with the trail.. by now i've finished ny and ct and i'm going for ma and pa next year.

don't think too much about it ... it beats the purpose of going hiking ..

happy trails!

Old Hiker
10-26-2011, 12:54
Do stadiums at The Swamp with your pack!

Can't you just SEE security when someone with a backpack starts walking up!?!? :eek:

Now that I think about it, you may want to talk with someone in security to let them know what you are doing and let them check the pack out if necessary! It's easier talking to them standing up, face to face than face down on the asphalt. Of course, face down may be good prep for the times you are going to fall on the trail!

Be sure to do a trip report, please!

Gray Blazer
10-26-2011, 14:25
Can't you just SEE security when someone with a backpack starts walking up!?!? :eek:

Now that I think about it, you may want to talk with someone in security to let them know what you are doing and let them check the pack out if necessary!

I assume they would not be doing it during a Gator Game (although that would be good training for walking through GA in March).

I, and others, have walked there with packs and no one really cares.

BTW, I know where Valrico is. Are you a cowboy?

clsvideo
10-26-2011, 14:31
I hear people are in the stadium all the time with packs on to train. There is really no security in the stadium during the week anyway. They leave it open just for people to exercise.

SpecialK
10-26-2011, 19:20
Just go for it, it should be beautiful! Watch the down hills, in the beginning they seem to hurt my legs the most. ENJOY

clsvideo
10-26-2011, 19:24
Just go for it, it should be beautiful! Watch the down hills, in the beginning they seem to hurt my legs the most. ENJOY

Thanks! I have heard that the down hills are the worst. I'm stoked. Just two weeks till I leave!

waasj
10-26-2011, 20:40
As another flatlander, you should have little trouble, just realize that the FT is a pale comparison of the Georgia section of the trail!! Take it easy and ease up your miles from day to day. If I were to over pack any one area, it would be sleeping gear as that area can be frustratingly fickle this time of year, and food since you might need more calories than you think (yeah, I realize that's two areas, but that might be why my pack is so heavy!). Lots of fantastic views and cool people. Best of luck!!

waasj
10-26-2011, 20:59
Oh, and if you start at Amicalola DO NOT be intimidated by the first 8 miles of up!!!! It gets better after you top out (and start The Trail) at Springer. Just gear down into low gear and keep a steady pace. And be ready for the thin stuff that passes for air (plenty of air, just not much oxygen) up in those parts!! Not apoxia material, but you will probably feel it for a day or two coming from sea level + 20'!!

clsvideo
10-27-2011, 10:10
Oh, and if you start at Amicalola DO NOT be intimidated by the first 8 miles of up!!!! It gets better after you top out (and start The Trail) at Springer. Just gear down into low gear and keep a steady pace. And be ready for the thin stuff that passes for air (plenty of air, just not much oxygen) up in those parts!! Not apoxia material, but you will probably feel it for a day or two coming from sea level + 20'!!

Thanks for the tips!

shrawe
01-31-2012, 14:40
Hello,to fellow hanger. My hammock (Clark NA) includes a pocket that Clark calls a pistol pocket or something like that. I put bear spray there at night. But I like the idea that my hammock has a gun hold already built in. Be prepared for all things. That Springer section is steep and rocky. Hardest footing until you get to trails shared by horses. Sandy

jbwood5
01-31-2012, 16:36

You'll probably find that the first day you'll be fine and will probably want to exceed that 10 miles. Then you'll start to feel it the 2nd and 3rd day and might have to back off a bit. Usually by the 5th day, assuming no knee injuries or bad blisters, you'll really feel like treking. :).

The best advice is to keep the mileage low the first 2 days to see how your feet are doing. Treat any blisters or heel rubs quick before they become a problem. A gradual build up is always the best plan for new hikers. Your previous runner legs will come back to life eventually.

Slo-go'en
01-31-2012, 17:35
Since the OP was planning to do the hike a couple of months ago, maybe we should ask how did it go or did he go at all?

Plodderman
01-31-2012, 17:45
You will find all kinds on the trail and will probably see others who are not as prepared as you are. I do a lot of section hiking -anywhere from 25 miles to 120 and have hiked the trail in great or and sometimes in not so great shape. Once you get you rlegs going it all comes back to you and the way I look at it you have all day to complete for that day and if I don't make that days miles make it up the next day. My son and I section hiked Georgia last year at the same time of year. Have fun.

Tinker
01-31-2012, 17:52
helloo.. Mariano From NJ here. they say nothing would prepare you to go up and down hills with a heavy load on your back than actually going up and down hills with a heavy load on your back.. don't worry about it.. you'll be fine.
i has not fit at all.. and had never done any hiking before i hiked the hilly NJ section of the AT. i averaged about 14 - 15 miles a day..(it did hurt a bit) but i had a great time and i fell in love with the trail.. by now i've finished ny and ct and i'm going for ma and pa next year. don't think too much about it ... it beats the purpose of going hiking ..

happy trails!

..............and he was FAT! :D :o

Sasquatch and I met Mariano on his first long hike. He was unprepared. He was uncomfortable, he got blisters, but......

He had a BLAST!!

He's been on several hikes since then, the last being a 50 mile section in Pa. with Chenango (who is currently doing the Florida Trail) and me (who is at home with gout - again - :mad: - I start meds. for it tomorrow - diet hasn't been enough).

Del Q
01-31-2012, 21:25
I think that a stair-stepper and an ellipitcal (with heavy resistance) - with a pack on if you like will be about the best bet short of going up and down hills with and without a pack. Or go up and down stairs with a pack. Boring but effective.