PDA

View Full Version : planning the great AT hike SOBO

DLANOIE
02-28-2005, 15:22
hello everyone!!
My name is Dave and Im new to the Whiteblaze community. So far I have found this website to be extremely helpful. Its great to have found this site because it allows me to converse with people who share the same intrest I do(hiking). I plan on thru hikining for my first time next spring and am just starting the planning process. Im not too sure how much to expect the trip to cost(although my buget is very strict) nor am I sure of what items are best to pack along and what can be left behind?! If anyone is willing to share info, ideas, suggestions, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all and also to make some new friends!

The Cheat
02-28-2005, 15:36
hello everyone!!
My name is Dave and Im new to the Whiteblaze community. So far I have found this website to be extremely helpful. Its great to have found this site because it allows me to converse with people who share the same intrest I do(hiking). I plan on thru hikining for my first time next spring and am just starting the planning process. Im not too sure how much to expect the trip to cost(although my buget is very strict) nor am I sure of what items are best to pack along and what can be left behind?! If anyone is willing to share info, ideas, suggestions, etc., it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all and also to make some new friends!
:welcome and...that font and color hurts my eyes.:datz :D

DLANOIE
02-28-2005, 16:19
sorry about that, hows this, any better?

:D

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2005, 16:42
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, David! Farmington, eh? I hope you're considering going to the Maine Appalachian Trail Club's annual meeting over at Robert's Learning Center on April 9th! Check out the threads here on Southbounding, and 'next spring'? You mean 2006? Get thee to the ALDHA Gathering this October in Hanover NH! www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org)

Smooth03
02-28-2005, 19:36
Dave:

I would say that since you have plenty of time to plan your gear to not rush out and buy it. Find out what sort of gear you think you want...and then wait for the sales.....the christmas(if you celebrate it).....and the birthdays. Look to buy 2003 and 2004 models as well.

My personal reccomendations are go with a low top boots. How low and light weight is up to you. Mine were probably what you would call "trail runners" but some people get away with just running shoes. Don't rush out and buy a pack that has 5,000 cubic inches and despite their best interests, don't listen to what people in a gear shop tell you. They truly mean well, but if you bought everything they deem a neccesity you'd be carrying 60 pounds and ready to tackle everest. Also don't buy a heavy tent because you'll end up not carrying it. I did indeed carry a traditional 2 LB 11 OZ tent but i would say a large percentage either did not carry a tent, carried a tarp, a hammock, or cursed the 4 pounds of dead weight they were carrying. This is especially true if you really enjoy the shelters. As a SOBO you won't have the same sort of crowding problems that NOBOs have so you might be able to get away with shipping your tent home, but I would reccomend starting with some sort of shelter for sure.

In terms of keeping your food costs low I'm really not sure what the answer is. I personally mailed all my food but that was more a result of my diet as opposed to a cost issue. Mailing costs do add up as well.

feel free to post more specific questions. hope this hopes.

attroll
03-01-2005, 01:29
DLANOIE

Yes The ALDHA Gathering in October is really something that would be great to go to. There is a lot of good information put out there. It is in New Hampshire this year. So it is not that far to drive. I plan on going this year. I went in 2003 and had a great time. I am really looking forward to this one again.

DLANOIE
03-01-2005, 11:57
Thank you all for your great advice so far. I do plan on getting some $ for Christmas and my Birthday so that will help. Im also starting to save up as well.
I spent all day yesterday reading on the ALDHA web page. There is so much info there its great. I feel as though I need to buy some books about long distance hiking in terms of maildrops for food and things like that. So I will keep researching. My sleeping bag is an Army issued one that is good for Siberia. Ive done quite a bit of winter camping with it and it sure keeps me toasty, but it weighs 7.5 Lbs.! Is this going to be an issue while hiking the AT and should I consider spending the $ for a lighter one and sacrificing the warmth factor?
Thanks again!!

DLANOIE
03-01-2005, 11:59
Im also definately planning to go to The Gathering in October. It sounds like the perfect oppurtunity to meet those who have done it before! Im very excited.:clap

Smooth03
03-02-2005, 10:47
Ive done quite a bit of winter camping with it and it sure keeps me toasty, but it weighs 7.5 Lbs.! Is this going to be an issue while hiking the AT and should I consider spending the $ for a lighter one and sacrificing the warmth factor?
Thanks again!!

I would say, and feel most others would agree, that you might want to strongly think about getting another bag. The main reason being that 7.5 pounds is a huge amount of weight for a bag.

I had a 35 degree synthetic bag that weighed about 2lb, 6 ozs and then in late october(near Pearisburg) I switched to my 20 degree down bag(probably weights just under 3 lbs but not sure). You can find some great bags at pretty reasonable prices(i.e. 100 bucks +- $20). I would reccomend getting a synthetic since the AT can get rainy but some might disagree there. Synthetics tend to be heavier, cheaper, and retain their warmth when wet(or at least more so than down bags)

Another consideration is that in a 7.5LB siberian winter bag you'll roast your baguettes off in July and August no matter where you are on the trail.

Jaybird
03-02-2005, 11:19
Welcome DLANOIE!

you can find ALL your answers here on WB...w/o ever attending seminars, meetings, etc....i've found they're usually mostly social gatherings, but do feature some good "talks" from "seasoned trail veterans."

WOW, 7 1/2 lbs for a bag?

I got mine about 3 years ago now thru Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1).... its a 20 degree/synthetic which weighs just under 3lbs...(Wild Bill 2.0) retails for $99.

:D