PDA

View Full Version : MSR WhisperLite

mikeford
10-22-2011, 22:56
Thinking about buying a MSR WhisperLite backpacking stove and it says you use it with white gas. My question is can you run this stove with heet or is white fuel something diffrent? Thanks for your help, I am only familiar with the canister type stoves.

Storm
10-22-2011, 23:02
White gas is basically Coleman latern fuel. Nothing close to heet. Heet is alcohol.

mikeford
10-22-2011, 23:06
Thanks Storm, so basically it runs off kerosene then?

Enic
10-22-2011, 23:28
White gas is more like kersosene than HEET... but still not the same. Do a quick google search and you'll learn more than you ever needed to about "white gas." Buy Coleman Fuel or MSR Superfuel, to use the first couple times at least.

4eyedbuzzard
10-22-2011, 23:38
Thanks Storm, so basically it runs off kerosene then?No, NOT kerosene. It runs on "white gas", aka Coleman fuel, which is basically naphtha. Most hikers use either isobutane canister stoves or alcohol stoves. FWIW, because white gas stoves are heavier, very few expeienced hikers usethem anymore, except perhaps for very cold weather or expeditions, where many feel they are better suited. But even many mountaineering expeditions, such as on Everest are now using canisters. Another exceptions is if you're hiking in parts of the world where canisters or alcohol aren't easily available, there are multi-fuel stoves that will burn regular gasoline, kerosene, naptha, or other petroleum fuels. And they aren't particularly light or cheap.

Different Socks
10-22-2011, 23:53
MSR stoves are great. I've used one for all the miles on the PCT, AT, CT, IAT, LT and many other trails. only had to have the pump and stove rehabbed once(not b/c of problems but b/c of all the nights on it). Still using it today and it's about 20 years old.

Leanthree
10-23-2011, 02:34
It is more like additive free gasoline than kerosene though neither is 100% accurate. Without the additives, it burns with less soot than gasoline but would perform rather terribly in your car.

Old Hillwalker
10-23-2011, 07:38
My Whisperlite International has been run on Coleman fuel, petrol, kerosine, and diesel. It came with an alternate burner nozzle for the heavier fuels. I burned diesel at one point overseas when that was all I could obtain. Works best on Coleman fuel. 11.5 ozs for pump and burner. Total weight depends upon size of fuel bottle, and amount of fuel contained. I carry a Penny Stove on the AT, but the MSR in cold weather and oversea14185s.

mikeford
10-23-2011, 09:02
Thanks everyone for clearing that up, it may not be a good choice for me weight wise then. I now know what a alcohol stove is after looking it up and is there anyone who can recommend a good one to buy?

swjohnsey
10-23-2011, 09:58
You can run the Wisperlite on pump gas, cheapest fuel available on the trail at about $0.03/ounce. Alcohol and Coleman fuel fun $0.20-$0/30/ounce. Alcohol puts out less heat than gasoline so you use more fuel. Alcohol doesn't work well even in marginally cold weather.

Quite a few folks are using MSR stoves of one sort or another on the trail. I use a Dragonfly.

If you decide to use an alcohol stove Zelph makes a variety of 'em. I like one called the Super Venom, very efficent, tough and requires no pot stand.

Papa D
10-23-2011, 11:44
The regular whisperlight runs off of white gas which is very similar to gasoline - it's often also refered to as "Coleman Fuel" (it's similar to auto gas - just purer and cleaner burning)
The "whisperlight international" will burn keresone, diesel fuel, auto gas etc. - not sure about heet or alcohol - those are pretty much alcohol stove specific

Mags
10-23-2011, 15:55
All you ever wanted to know about stoves ..and then some :)

http://zenstoves.net/

This link in particular should clear a few things up:
http://zenstoves.net/Fuels.htm

Tinker
10-23-2011, 22:02
I've had a Whisperlite since 1987. I just recently replaced the pump. It's a great stove for cold weather and/or groups. It actually puts out more heat than the coldest weather can remove from your cookpot and its contents. By today's standards it is pretty heavy, especially for one person, and requires occasional cleaning or it will soot up and burn poorly, sooting up your pots. Cleaning is easy, though. If you want a lightweight solo stove for warm weather, best look for something else. If you do any winter camping with other people it's literally worth its weight.

mikeford
10-23-2011, 22:22
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will use the canister style stoves since I only hike with a dog. I hunt and do day hikes but I am looking to get into backpacking more and hopefully one day do the AT and the rest of the long trails but for now just focus on getting the right gear for some weeklong trips. Thanks Again!

Mags
10-23-2011, 22:32
A canister stove is a good happy medium stove in terms of weight, ease of use and heat out-put.

Don't worry too much about gear, though. Gear is the LEAST important part of backpacking. :)

Have fun!

OneStepCloser
10-24-2011, 00:02
i have this one it basically uses any fuel. youll be good on the AT with it for sure.

TrilliumTrekker
11-02-2011, 14:15
You can google White Box Stove. They are light, robust, needs no pot support and not expensive.

psyculman
11-03-2011, 05:04
You can run the Wisperlite on pump gas, cheapest fuel available on the trail at about $0.03/ounce. Alcohol and Coleman fuel fun $0.20-$0/30/ounce. Alcohol puts out less heat than gasoline so you use more fuel. Alcohol doesn't work well even in marginally cold weather.

Quite a few folks are using MSR stoves of one sort or another on the trail. I use a Dragonfly.

If you decide to use an alcohol stove Zelph makes a variety of 'em. I like one called the Super Venom, very efficent, tough and requires no pot stand.

Are you saying you use a MSR Whisper lite (not multi fuel MSR International) to burn unleaded gasoline and alcohol ?

jersey joe
11-03-2011, 10:00
I used the Whisperlite stove on my thru hike and have nothing bad to say about it, great little stove. One thing that I did not know before my thru hike was that white gas is readily availabe on the trail.

swjohnsey
11-03-2011, 14:10
Are you saying you use a MSR Whisper lite (not multi fuel MSR International) to burn unleaded gasoline and alcohol ?

It will burn pump gasoline, not sure about alcohol.

BFI
11-03-2011, 15:44
Trangia is a good one, at least for me . I've used the same one for over 20 years. No moving parts, no preheating, and burns hot.

cabbagehead
11-06-2011, 23:36
I've used an Optimus Nova multifuel stove. It runs on a variety of petroleum products, like white gas, and kerosene. Alcohol would eat away at the stove's o-rings. If you want to burn alcohol, check out bottlestoves.com.

beakerman
11-07-2011, 15:36
wisperlite....what an oxymoron. Its neither quiet nor light. I have one an dits what I use but gosh its heavy and loud. I aways thought the guys in the marketing department at MSR had a great sense of humour when the named that particular stove.

rhyolite
10-28-2012, 17:34
You should check out zenstoves.net Lots of great DIY soda can type stoves and commercial ones. I think you'll discover soda can stoves are easy to make and cost nothing. I like Trangia alcohol stoves, but there are plenty to choose from
Mike

Rasty
10-28-2012, 18:11
wisperlite....what an oxymoron. Its neither quiet nor light. I have one an dits what I use but gosh its heavy and loud. I aways thought the guys in the marketing department at MSR had a great sense of humour when the named that particular stove.

I think it was quiet and light in the 80's compared to a lot of the other stove available at the time. Except maybe the SVEA stove. Great stove for groups larger than two. Really heavy for a solo stove.

swjohnsey
10-28-2012, 18:29
Whisperlite works good and is not very noisy. Great to have when it is cold and windy. My Whisperlite rig weighs 12 oz more than my alcohol rig but you get some of that back considering you carry about a 1/3 less fuel with the Whisperlite. Gasoline is about $0.03/oz and you can get it anywhere they have cars. Alcohol can be as high as $0.35/oz.

Mountain Mike
10-28-2012, 18:42
It really depends on if you cook or just boil water & how much. I love my MSR stoves because I tend to cook more. Good food is a pleasure for me when hiking.

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2012, 19:03
White gas is more like kersosene than HEET... but still not the same. Do a quick google search and you'll learn more than you ever needed to about "white gas." Buy Coleman Fuel or MSR Superfuel, to use the first couple times at least.

4eye is correct its Gasoline -without additives

It is more like additive free gasoline than kerosene though neither is 100% accurate. Without the additives, it burns with less soot than gasoline but would perform rather terribly in your car.

BS works fine in the car.

"back in the day" it was the go to product.

Whisperlite works good and is not very noisy. Great to have when it is cold and windy. My Whisperlite rig weighs 12 oz more than my alcohol rig but you get some of that back considering you carry about a 1/3 less fuel with the Whisperlite. Gasoline is about $0.03/oz and you can get it anywhere they have cars. Alcohol can be as high as $0.35/oz.

I agree it was the flame thrower of the day...
cannister stoves are best fot high altitude and alcohol stoves & wood stoves are best for the AT. I have since donated the wisper to the Boy Scouts.

Raymond James
10-28-2012, 20:01
For boiling water at a low cost a homemade alcohol stove seems to be the way to go. Plenty of vidios on utube to see how it is done. The stove weighs so little that you can afford to carry a little more weight in fuel.

To cook you need something that can simmer and for that you will need something heavier and more exspensive to purchase.

A problem annister stoves had had in the past is when they change canisters and quit making your canister. I hav eseen taht happpen to people who bought cannister stoves in the past. The stove even if used a lot should last twenty of more years what do you do if the cannisters arn't made anymore?

Fuel stoves that burn multiple fuels and simmer have been my choice in the past but if I did not have a stove and was thru hiking it would be a homemade pop can alcohol stove.

Another Kevin
10-28-2012, 21:14
The whisperlite is my go-to stove if I expect to melt snow for water. Otherwise, my soda can stove is the thing. (It can be a bit cantankerous to get the soda can to prime in cold weather, and snow-melting uses fuel like anything so the higher energy content of naphtha is a win for that application.) I made a simmer attachment for it, so I can do a small amount of real cooking.

HooKooDooKu
10-28-2012, 23:51
From what I recall, the wisperlite will burn gasoline or white gas, but that white gas is preferred because it is cleaner. The international version comes with a 2nd port marked with a 'K' that mush be swapped out to burn kerosene.

PD230SOI
10-29-2012, 06:43
I own four stoves (dont tell the wife)
Whisperlite International - Fuels
Primus ETA - canister stove
Trangia - Alky
Honey Stove - wood burner
Super Cat - oh darn, make that 5 stoves

They each have their "sweet spot" for use/weight. I have little kids, but I like to hike alone, or sometimes with a large group in winter in the Mtns.... On it goes....

10-29-2012, 16:01
gasoline stoves are fast and hot and can be adjusted as to temp. The best for cold weather or groups.
Understand you let liquid gas into a little bowl under the burner and light it and it flares up real big making lots of soot on the stove, that is what it takes to vaporize the gas so you can light the stove. I love the stove and always use it in winter. the soot makes your hands black when you pack up the stove and unpak.

trapper
10-29-2012, 17:48
i really don't know why anyone would use one of these on the AT. i have seen alt of people use them and have a hell of a time with them. seems that there is a learning curve with them that is not quickly learned. i personaly like alcohol is warm weather and my soto micro regulator for cold weather. its super light and has its own igniter. no problems in even very cold weather. fuel canisters are widely available. my two cents

swjohnsey
10-29-2012, 19:03
The Whisperlite is a thinly disguised I.Q. test.

trapper
10-29-2012, 21:10
The Whisperlite is a thinly disguised I.Q. test.lol i think you are correct

jeffmeh
10-29-2012, 21:48
If cooking for a crowd or in very cold weather, it is very fit for purpose. Much less finicky than the Optimus blue box I started with, so that one was much more of an IQ test.

lemon b
10-31-2012, 05:53
They burn other fuels. Use the nossle with the larger opening if you plan to do do. Plus regular gas is not as clean as white.

pheldozer
10-31-2012, 12:17
the international can also run on bacardi 151. great stoves for cooking for a group, but canisters are much better for solo trips and keeping the weight down.

i'll bring a dragonfly if big pots are going to be used, or the pocket rocket/canister nested in this system http://www.rei.com/product/830766/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-soloist-cookset?preferredSku=8307660001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8307660001&mr:trackingCode=146A49C5-8952-E111-BC1B-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy:s_kwcid}=&gclid=CPun__HUq7MCFcRa4AodDjwAhA

chief
10-31-2012, 16:53
Coleman fuel (white gas) is the same as gasoline without the additives - nope it's not!

You can burn it in your car - not if you like your car - its high combustion temperature and low octane (50-55) will eventually destroy your engine if it runs at all! On the other hand, with its fine solvent properties you'll have a shiny clean gas tank and fuel lines. Of course all that gunk will wind up in your engine.

I think most old people (not me) think Coleman fuel (white gas) is the same as the "white gas" we could buy at the pump back in the day. Except of course, that "white gas" was actually white gasoline (because of its color). Not the same at all.

swjohnsey
10-31-2012, 18:12
Pump gas works well in the Wisperlite, is almost universally available and costs about $0.03/ounce. The old leaded pump gas also worked but would eventually clog up the stove. Coleman fuel is basically naptha.

colorado_rob
10-31-2012, 18:49
Coleman fuel (white gas) is the same as gasoline without the additives - nope it's not!

You can burn it in your car - not if you like your car - its high combustion temperature and low octane (50-55) will eventually destroy your engine if it runs at all! On the other hand, with its fine solvent properties you'll have a shiny clean gas tank and fuel lines. Of course all that gunk will wind up in your engine.

I think most old people (not me) think Coleman fuel (white gas) is the same as the "white gas" we could buy at the pump back in the day. Except of course, that "white gas" was actually white gasoline (because of its color). Not the same at all. Interesting, good info, but here's my experience... Basically I ran out of gas in my truck one day, out in the boonies of Utah about 15 miles short of a gas station. Luckily, I had a whole gallon of coleman white gas in the back, plus a bit more in a stove fuel bottle (yes, a wisperlite), all of which I poured into my gas tank, fired up the motor and drove to the gas station (slowly, because I wasn't sure how far 1 lousy gallon would get me!) The motor ran just fine. Didn't knock, as one might expect if the octane is so low. On the other hand, most modern cars have knock sensing that adjust timing to compensate with "bad" gad or whatever. So I agree, don't use it on a regular basis (who would, given that it is about 10 bucks a gallon), but I think it works fine in an emergency.

We burned leaded gasoline in Russia in our wisperlites, by the way, with no ill effects. Only a few days use though. The wisperlite, along with it's cousin the XGK (a loud Jet Engine, compared to the wisperlite, hence why the wisperlite is called the "wisperlite"), are The Stoves of choice for climbing high mountains, basically in frigid conditions and you have to melt copious amounts of snow for water. That being said, some do use canister stoves up high, with mixed results.