PDA

View Full Version : Happy section hiker

Thatguy
10-23-2011, 11:26
Like some hikers I’ve resigned myself to the reality I will only be able to section hike the AT. As a person who is self-employed, one person shop I have to take projects when they come my way. I’ve tried to start a thru twice but both time left because a good piece of business came my way. I’ve come to realize section hiking is a good thing. As a section hiker I REALLY enjoy my time on the AT. I hike slowly savoring every moment. I stop often to watch wildlife and have a snack in the woods. I take a lot of pictures and don’t pressure myself to do miles. I know I’ll get there on my own time. I often keep in touch with hikers I’ve met on the trail and always look forward to meeting more. I’m sure it is a tremendous feeling to have thru hiked the AT but I think having section hiked it is a pretty good feeling also. Is this a bad way to go?

OBXWaMi
10-23-2011, 11:36
I don't think it's a bad way to go. I'm going to do the same thing. I'm guessing that more people section hike than thru hike.
See you on the trail.

:)

tiptoe
10-23-2011, 11:56
The only downside I've found to section hiking (after 6 years) is that you're in good shape physically when you start. Otherwise, sectioning is lots of fun and quite feasible if yhou have what passes for a "normal" life.

V Eight
10-23-2011, 12:26
I’m the same way. It will be a long time before I will be able to leave
work for 5 or 6 months to wander around in the woods!
Like my last hike, was scheduled to go 5 days. Wound up only being
an overnighter. It is my hike and I felt that coming back to town was the
right thing for me to do. I was hopping to get to Fontana this time but, that’s
ok, it will still be there next year.

I think that next spring I will start at Springer again. When I was there last time
it had been years since my last multiday hike. Most the gear I had was not
tested very well before hitting the trail. I would not say I was worried about
much of anything, more just running all the different scenarios through my
mind and just generally being distracted by the newness of it all. Now, I have
better gear (read lighter) that I have field-tested myself. I have a much better
understanding of what to expect when I hit the trail.

I will still do my overnighters at a couple of my local haunts through this fall.
Now that I have hiked a few miles in the snow, I will be much less apprehensive
to get out for a couple of days in the winter.

To answer the question, “Is this a bad way to go?” If I may borrow some sage
words of one of my favorite posters here on WB.

Any bag night is a good Night!
Attributed to Tipi Walter

johnnybgood
10-23-2011, 12:51
My philosophy on hiking is do what you enjoy doing and enjoy the every moment that you're doing it.

As a section hiker I will set goals that I can accomplish realistically and am satisfied having smaller gains toward a bigger prize. The days that I savor the most are those where the experience of getting out in the woods was the primary objective to begin with.

Cookerhiker
10-23-2011, 14:05
Like some hikers I’ve resigned myself to the reality I will only be able to section hike the AT. As a person who is self-employed, one person shop I have to take projects when they come my way. I’ve tried to start a thru twice but both time left because a good piece of business came my way. I’ve come to realize section hiking is a good thing. As a section hiker I REALLY enjoy my time on the AT. I hike slowly savoring every moment. I stop often to watch wildlife and have a snack in the woods. I take a lot of pictures and don’t pressure myself to do miles. I know I’ll get there on my own time. I often keep in touch with hikers I’ve met on the trail and always look forward to meeting more. I’m sure it is a tremendous feeling to have thru hiked the AT but I think having section hiked it is a pretty good feeling also. Is this a bad way to go?

Your first sentence belies the theme of your conclusion that section hiking is equal to thruhiking in its rewards and satisfaction to the hiker; rather, the first sentence ("resigned," "only") implies that section hiking is a secondary or a fall-back position.

Didn't you mean to say: "Like other hikers, my personal situation with career and business gives me the opportunity to hike the entire AT in sections" or words to that effect"

58starter
10-23-2011, 17:00
I too will only hike the AT in Sections. I have completed several already and introduced at least 11 friends and family members to section hiking. I will be out there again Nov 8-10 to hike Sam's Gap to Erwin.

Pro Se
10-23-2011, 21:54
Unlike most people, I have a job that I LOVE and I couldn't imagine leaving it for 6 months to hike. I also didn't want to wait until I was retirement age to start hiking because, if I'm anything like my mom, I will be looking at bone spurs/arthritis/joint replacement long before I could make it to the trail. It's a perfect balance for me of real life and the simple life. I look forward to the trail when I'm not there and I look forward to getting back to work when I'm on trail. Freaky...I know!

daddytwosticks
10-24-2011, 07:18
The anticipation and planning of my next hike keeps me going. Will have to wait until retirement for a thru-hike or really long distance hike. :)