PDA

View Full Version : new record attempt

Pages : 1 [2]

Tinker
11-04-2011, 22:23
This thread has longer legs and more stamina than the hopeful (wishful) would-be record breaker! :rolleyes:

Wolf - 23000
11-05-2011, 00:56
Okay, if memory serves, you have actually hiked this section (ME thru VT) in winter or done a winter thru of the AT. Do you give him, or anyone, any chance of even 30 mpd this time of year?

I've done the entire AT in the winter (Jan/Feb). My longest day was 18 miles breaking 3-4 feet of snow the entire way. I was so tired afterwards. I kept up the drive for a couple of days only because I had to. I consider myself as a strong hiker but to do it for an period of time not a chance.

To answer your question, a strong hike could still do 30 miles in a good year with out ice/snow but on an average yet; no. There are to many factors that work against you, daylight, dehydration, the weather to name a few. If you ask me this guy was talking out his @SS. He had his 15 minutes of fame now he will be known as a quiter before even starting.

hikerboy57
11-05-2011, 07:47
does this story sound familiar?:http://omails.blogspot.com/2011/10/shane-odonnell-future-cdt-speed-record.html

Del Q
11-05-2011, 09:04
You hate to say that things are '"Impossible", but, swimming to the moon sounds fun but.........................

Break the record in the winter, right.

If we attempted a thru hike with no time deadlines, yes.

PackOnerBacker Mel
11-05-2011, 09:12
If there's a will there's a way...more power to him!!!

Feral Bill
11-05-2011, 12:17
does this story sound familiar?:http://omails.blogspot.com/2011/10/shane-odonnell-future-cdt-speed-record.html Can we get these two geniouses together to race the length of of one or the other trail?

TJ aka Teej
11-05-2011, 13:04
I haven't read every post. So... he's now starting in Mass, hiking to Katahdin, then flipping back to Mass? That is, if finds water and learns to make a fire?
Somebody needs to do a faux trail journal. I mean, besides him.

From his mom's Facebook:
"Learn from the mistakes of others,
you'll never live long enough
to make them all yourself."

takethisbread
11-05-2011, 16:55
if this cat even makes it all the way, kudos to him. forget the time gig, its not happening. Maine and the Whites will take 30 days for a well trained athlete in November and December.

God Bless this cat, hope he has fun and tries to enjoy the walk. Its 21 degreees on Mount Washington right now with plenty of snow on the ground already. By the time he gets there, itll be 3 to 4 ft deep all along the presidentials into ME. for a view from Mt Washington today http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/

hikerboy57
11-05-2011, 17:00
Ill bet he doesnt make it to the whites in 30 days.

takethisbread
11-05-2011, 17:02
Can we get these two geniouses together to race the length of of one or the other trail?

Jester is just joking. ithought that was clear. He is hiking the CDT, but he is filming it i think, as a companion to his Wizards of the PCT documentary. he is reportedly banned from this forum for his humorous commentary that some people find not so funny.

max patch
11-05-2011, 17:09
Jester is just joking. he is reportedly banned from this forum for his humorous commentary that some people find not so funny.

Self imposed exile.

One of his posts got deleted so he took his ball and went home.

clsvideo
11-05-2011, 17:39
I don't see an obituary for him yet so at least that is good.

Driver8
11-06-2011, 00:32
does this story sound familiar?:http://omails.blogspot.com/2011/10/shane-odonnell-future-cdt-speed-record.html

Given the timing, I think dude is directly making fun of dorkminster from Pennsylvania, who is vying for the Order of Darwin Hall of Foolery.

Camping Dave
11-06-2011, 10:22
i guess his "boatload of survival skills" was a very tiny boat, a boat that never got rained on or had to start a fire lol.... or find water...... when its raining lol

This is what I love about these make-fun-of-deluded-dreamer threads. LW dredges the net for these clowns, then a bunch of old buzzards who like seeing their name on the computer screenpile on the sarcasm.

Then, there is you. You started 2 threads: 1 about how fat you are, and 1 looking for reasons why people hike, from which I conclude you are fat and don't hike. In one dog forum post you call Slo-go-en a "dickhead", though it's abundantly clear to anybody who can actually hike that you are clueless. A couple of time you mock somebody who more capable than yourself. Almost every other one of your other posts is in this thread.

Seriously, don't you think you should learn to walk first?

4eyedbuzzard
11-06-2011, 11:52
This is what I love about these make-fun-of-deluded-dreamer threads...
Although you acknowledge they are all "deluded dreamers", you kind of leave out the part where these "deluded dreamers" are the ones who issue the press releases, set up interviews, create websites, and push to see their names in the newspapers online and in hard copy. Nobody has to dredge for them, these attention seekers promote themselves all too well. Just enter "appalachian trail" into google and click on the news tab, Matthew Huffman is on page 1.

Why is it you are so against other people discussing it? You seem obsessed with criticizing people who are actually giving the attention seekers the attention they ask for.

silverscuba22
11-06-2011, 12:05
First off, im 6'0 200 pounds, and not fat at all. I bet i have done more miles in the last 8 years with a pack on my back then you have, but no i have not done a long distance hike, i was in the Army for 7 years, infantry, and while we would 8-15 miles a few times a week,sometimes we would go on 70-80 miles over a few days but we were not doing it for 4 to 6 months on end so i wanted to try to figure out how it would effect someone with my body type. And as for the commet i made about Slo-go-en, i shouldnt have said that, he/she was tryin to give advice, being very blunt, and i took it as he/she was being disrepectful by not really answerign the question, i was wrong.

Now for the reason i think this matthew guy is funny is becuase i found him on facebook and wished him luck and told him he should get some advice from JPD before he starts( i pretty sure my comment is here somewhere) becuase of the time of year. he reply that i was a dick head and he didnt need any advice becuase of his "boatload of survial skills",which to me is very funny now.

Oh and the"reason people hike" thread, i was writing a paper on hiking and looking for a different point of view, or a reason i overlooked or missed. which im pretty sure i explained. but if i didnt.. there you go

beakerman
11-07-2011, 15:53
First off, im 6'0 200 pounds, and not fat at all. I bet i have done more miles in the last 8 years with a pack on my back then you have, but no i have not done a long distance hike, i was in the Army for 7 years, infantry, and while we would 8-15 miles a few times a week,sometimes we would go on 70-80 miles over a few days but we were not doing it for 4 to 6 months on end so i wanted to try to figure out how it would effect someone with my body type. And as for the commet i made about Slo-go-en, i shouldnt have said that, he/she was tryin to give advice, being very blunt, and i took it as he/she was being disrepectful by not really answerign the question, i was wrong.

Now for the reason i think this matthew guy is funny is becuase i found him on facebook and wished him luck and told him he should get some advice from JPD before he starts( i pretty sure my comment is here somewhere) becuase of the time of year. he reply that i was a dick head and he didnt need any advice becuase of his "boatload of survial skills",which to me is very funny now.

Oh and the"reason people hike" thread, i was writing a paper on hiking and looking for a different point of view, or a reason i overlooked or missed. which im pretty sure i explained. but if i didnt.. there you go

never try to justify yourself to folks like this. Stick to facts....someone should read all the posts to keep things in context. On a thread that is now 266 posts long one would expect comments to refer back to previous posts and accept that. Its one thing to repeat someone elses post for lack of reading them all but to call someone out on a post they made is wrong....I stop by a few times a week...I understood the origins of your comment and I found it very funny...boat load indeed.

Calling others names ro being rude...hey we all get hot under the collar once in a while. Even I have done it. I'm sure if you did a search on Dave's posts you'll find a questionable comment or two as well (the old pot calling the skillet black thing).

And there is no prerequisite of "long distance" hiking on this site. Its for enthusiasts of the Appliacian Trail, which if I recall can be done in short section hikes just as well as thru hikes. As Lone Wolf has been known to say...its just walking.

Mags
11-07-2011, 16:33
I like beer.

Thank you.

That is all.

beakerman
11-07-2011, 17:45
^^^^Amen to that!

clsvideo
11-07-2011, 18:38
I e-mailed the contact link on his website asking for updates. I think his mom is supposed to be updating it. Haven't heard anything back yet.

beakerman
11-08-2011, 01:31
all the giving him a hard time aside I hope he's doing fine...you got nothing if you aint got your health.

Mags
11-08-2011, 10:19
all the giving him a hard time aside I hope he's doing fine...you got nothing if you aint got your health.

Indeed. I'd get out of northern New England and head down south a bit. The southern Apps this time of the year may be on the cold side, but are probably more enjoyable.

Hell, wish I was out there right now doing an extended trip.... :)

( I'd like to think I'd be a little more realistic, though. ;) )

4eyedbuzzard
11-08-2011, 20:32
all the giving him a hard time aside I hope he's doing fine...you got nothing if you aint got your health.I don't think anyone wishes him any physical injury, though I doubt many would care if his ego wound up bruised.

Doc Mike
11-08-2011, 20:48
I e-mailed the reporter asking if she was going to do a followup about how you need to be realistic when planning a hike and not let your mouth overload what you can do. this is her reply.

Hello and thanks for writing!
I do plan on writing an updated story about this sometime this month.
I'm waiting for the hiker to depart. He expects that date will be Nov. 10.

Best,
Katie

Katie Kuba
Sentinel Reporter
phone: 717-218-0024 (callto:+1717-218-0024)
email: [email protected]
Twitter: Clink_education

So we wait a few more days for reality to set in.

Mike2012
11-09-2011, 18:33
I e-mailed the reporter asking if she was going to do a followup about how you need to be realistic when planning a hike and not let your mouth overload what you can do. this is her reply.

Hello and thanks for writing!
I do plan on writing an updated story about this sometime this month.
I'm waiting for the hiker to depart. He expects that date will be Nov. 10.

Best,
Katie

Katie Kuba
Sentinel Reporter
phone: 717-218-0024 (callto:+1717-218-0024)
email: [email protected]
Twitter: Clink_education

So we wait a few more days for reality to set in.

Well the day of reckoning arrives. TU55 didn't hit the moon. No blizzards forecast in New England for the next week as far as I know. Maybe he forgot to mention having some blackmarket flubber.

BobTheBuilder
11-09-2011, 18:50
First off, im 6'0 200 pounds, and not fat at all.

6'2, 250, and somewhat fat. Since we're being honest.

hikerboy57
11-12-2011, 15:11
still no trip report, no obit i guess is good.

Slo-go'en
11-12-2011, 15:40
I'd doubt we will hear from this dude again. It seems one 30 mile day in the rain on an easy piece of the AT in Mass was enough to dash this fellow's dreams.

XCskiNYC
11-22-2011, 00:41
He did set a record after all! Shortest record attempt. Hooray for Henry!

Doc Mike
11-22-2011, 09:44
He did set a record after all! Shortest record attempt. Hooray for Henry!
so whats the scoop? I haven't found it online. How far did he go? did he even start?

Odd Man Out
11-22-2011, 10:13
so whats the scoop? I haven't found it online. How far did he go? did he even start?

Here is is "daily" update page.

http://atrecordattempt.webs.com/news.htm

Doc Mike
11-22-2011, 10:26

Thanks for my first good laugh of the day.

hikerboy57
11-22-2011, 11:45
he will now attempt to jump the english channel.

Bearpaw
11-22-2011, 19:18

In truth, 30+ miles on the first day of a hike is very impressive. The guy has some decent speed and ability.

The sad part is that his ignorance of what the trail demands made his initial claims so outlandish that a 30-mile day seems weak by comparison.

I hope he gets back out there in decent weather and thru-hikes at his own pace. He would likely do well and find a little bit of whatever he's looking for.

hikerboy57
11-22-2011, 20:58
In truth, 30+ miles on the first day of a hike is very impressive. The guy has some decent speed and ability.

The sad part is that his ignorance of what the trail demands made his initial claims so outlandish that a 30-mile day seems weak by comparison.

I hope he gets back out there in decent weather and thru-hikes at his own pace. He would likely do well and find a little bit of whatever he's looking for.if he headed north from everett, he picked a fairly easy stretch of trail. ME and NH will kick his butt. But I suspect hes now working on his attempt to jump the english channel or maybe run to the moon. there hasnt been a word anywhere regarding his (lack of)progress.If its all about blowing away the speed record, I dont think he'll 'find what hes looking for(unless hes looking for failure).

Kerosene
11-22-2011, 21:07
I'm pretty confident that a lot of WhiteBlazers could cover 30 miles on their first day of a hike, although probably not lugging as much weight as he supposedly was and at a 4 mph pace. Very few of us could repeat that accomplishment for more than a day or two.

Mountain Mike
11-22-2011, 22:00
Maybe he did set a record for most media hype for a record attempt that never started other than a one day training hike.

silverscuba22
11-23-2011, 13:23
In truth, 30+ miles on the first day of a hike is very impressive.

Well you are assuming he was telling the truth, i personally think he went about 10 to 15 and quit, realized he couldnt do it and quit. you have to remember this is the guy that bragged about his "boatload of survival skill" yet after his first day he called his mom and said he couldnt start a fire, find water, or get dry (on his moms facebook). the guy bit off more than he could chew.

hikerboy57
11-23-2011, 13:32
Well you are assuming he was telling the truth, i personally think he went about 10 to 15 and quit, realized he couldnt do it and quit. you have to remember this is the guy that bragged about his "boatload of survival skill" yet after his first day he called his mom and said he couldnt start a fire, find water, or get dry (on his moms facebook). the guy bit off more than he could chew.
I beleive he did the 30. If he went north from everett, theres really no steep uphills until greylock its fairly easy terrain, certainly possible for someone in shape for it(although Ive never done a 30, my best is 18).but i think thats the last 30 we'll hear about.

MedicineWoman2012
11-23-2011, 18:09
"...and this is different from many other hikers how? unrealistic expectations and no clue to the realities?
Sounds vaguely familiar. "

Winter! Lack of Planning Lack of Experience!

kolokolo
11-23-2011, 18:47
I think we've all over-estimated our abilities, and been too aggressive in our hiking plans. Give the guy a break.

4eyedbuzzard
11-23-2011, 20:38
I think we've all over-estimated our abilities, and been too aggressive in our hiking plans. Give the guy a break.True, and we should all tone down our rhetoric at our pre-hike press conferences.

njordan2
11-23-2011, 21:17
The one who puts on his armor should not brag like the one who has taken it off.

kolokolo
11-23-2011, 21:26
True, and we should all tone down our rhetoric at our pre-hike press conferences.

I will if you will.

ChinMusic
11-23-2011, 21:27
The one who puts on his armor should not brag like the one who has taken it off.

Man who stands on toilet is.............

atmilkman
11-23-2011, 21:35
Man who stands on toilet is.............
Peeing from up high? Whats the punchline Chin? Its killing me.

ChinMusic
11-23-2011, 21:45
Peeing from up high? Whats the punchline Chin? Its killing me.

......high on pot

atmilkman
11-23-2011, 21:53
......high on pot
lmao. good one. never heard it before. you got some good stuff.

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2011, 22:08
......high on pot

He who runs in front of car gets tired, but he who runs behind the car gets exhausted...

Really though this sounds like the best possible outcome. Assuming he scrapped his speed hike attempt then he got away with just an injured ego and it supplied all of us internet backpackers with something to make fun of.

It would cool if he did decide to attempt a thru hike at a more appropriate time and pace. I'd love to hear his before and after reflections on the hike and what he thought of his initial planning once he completed the trail.

Marta
11-23-2011, 22:24
For my next thru-hike I will cap the donations at a hundred thousand dollars. I don't want to be greedy.

Odd Man Out
11-24-2011, 13:22
For my next thru-hike I will cap the donations at a hundred thousand dollars. I don't want to be greedy.

Per person or total?

Doc Mike
11-24-2011, 13:26
Per Person unless they are a bundler (someone who collects from a group) or a 1 percenter.....lol

RevLee
11-29-2011, 00:44
Matthew at least walked 5K on Thanksgiving: http://www.cumberlink.com/article_010c58ac-1703-11e1-8f3d-001cc4c03286.html
(http://www.cumberlink.com/article_010c58ac-1703-11e1-8f3d-001cc4c03286.html)

scissor
11-29-2011, 16:14
Matthew at least walked 5K on Thanksgiving: http://www.cumberlink.com/article_010c58ac-1703-11e1-8f3d-001cc4c03286.html
(http://www.cumberlink.com/article_010c58ac-1703-11e1-8f3d-001cc4c03286.html)

wow he is in there... 304th place
At least we know he is healthy. Still, a blog update would be nice just for this reason.

outsideinmi
11-29-2011, 19:25
will he make it up Katahdin? where is he now?? updates??

hikerboy57
11-29-2011, 19:50
hes home on the sofa, planning on how to jump the english channel. He wont be making it up or down katahdin without special permission. baxters closed till may.

Gray_Ghost
11-29-2011, 20:01
He "shattered" the 5k record ;-)

wow he is in there... 304th place
At least we know he is healthy. Still, a blog update would be nice just for this reason.

Marta
11-29-2011, 20:07
Over an hour for a 5k? Wow. So if he was going to do the AT in 45 days, my son whose 5k time is in the 18-minute range could do the AT in 15 days!

max patch
11-29-2011, 20:21
The guys an azz, but cut him a break on the Thanksgiving race. He walked with (apparently) his parents and siblings. 5 of them crossed the finish line at the same time. That's more family togetherness on Thanksgiving that probably a lot of ya'll had.

hikerboy57
11-29-2011, 20:25
true, but we wouldnt be breaking his b***s so much if he just announced his intention upon completion. i wonder if he ever logged on to WB to get feedback before he made his proclamation, or maybe just read the jan curran book.

Malto
11-29-2011, 20:33
You have it all wrong...... He took an hour off his record attempt to walk the 5K with his family. He was able to do this because he is so far ahead of his shattering the record schedule. I am expecting him at Springer any day now.

ChinMusic
11-29-2011, 21:03
The guys an azz, but cut him a break on the Thanksgiving race. He walked with (apparently) his parents and siblings. 5 of them crossed the finish line at the same time. That's more family togetherness on Thanksgiving that probably a lot of ya'll had.

He's a stud. What the site left off was he CARRIED the other 4.

Different Socks
12-16-2011, 00:59
I haven't read many of the posted replies, but I gotta say that it was tough for jennifer to do 47 mpd average, what makes this guy think he can do it better by 3 days, beginning in near winter(needs permission from park officials) and only 2 food drops??
He won't make it.

Hikerhead
12-16-2011, 12:35
We may never find out what happened to our record breaker. It looks like the reporter or this story is no longer there. Her name is no longer on the reporters list of contacts and an email address for her that I found bounced back as being undeliverable. That's a shame....he could have been next years Nat'l Geo Explorer Of The Year.

tdoczi
12-16-2011, 12:58
We may never find out what happened to our record breaker. It looks like the reporter or this story is no longer there. Her name is no longer on the reporters list of contacts and an email address for her that I found bounced back as being undeliverable. That's a shame....he could have been next years Nat'l Geo Explorer Of The Year.

i'm sure its wishful thinking, but i'd like to think someone over there has some journalistic standards and fired her for writing such utter nonsense.

msupple
12-16-2011, 18:30
I think the entire thing is a sham and everyone who responded to this thread has been trolled. We shall see.

max patch
12-16-2011, 18:38
He hiked one day (shakedown hike) and quit. Never made it to Katahdin. Pulled down his facebook hiking page. Reporter won't answer email. Mother won't answer facebook messages. It was over before it started.

ChinMusic
12-16-2011, 18:41
We may never find out what happened to our record breaker. It looks like the reporter or this story is no longer there. Her name is no longer on the reporters list of contacts and an email address for her that I found bounced back as being undeliverable. That's a shame....he could have been next years Nat'l Geo Explorer Of The Year.I have her twitter account saved on Tweetdeck. All has been silent.

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 18:51
have a feeling he rethought his winter folly and try it in the spring. he did buy a man patch though.

Karl Meltzer
12-21-2011, 17:11
Well.....the guy is gonna need a trail name! Any ideas? How about TNG? (tough navy guy) :-) I think it's a hoax. Noone can be that silly and think with 32 pounds on his back and limited calories he'll even come close. We all know it won't work. He's obviously mad at something. Into the Wild, that guy just wanted to be out there, this guy just wants to die out there. Wierd, but I say we all follow and enjoy the chuckle in a few weeks. And lets hope noone has to rescue or recover his body. Good stuff!

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2011, 17:41
Well.....the guy is gonna need a trail name! Any ideas? How about TNG? (tough navy guy) :-) I think it's a hoax. Noone can be that silly and think with 32 pounds on his back and limited calories he'll even come close. We all know it won't work. He's obviously mad at something. Into the Wild, that guy just wanted to be out there, this guy just wants to die out there. Wierd, but I say we all follow and enjoy the chuckle in a few weeks. And lets hope noone has to rescue or recover his body. Good stuff!
He's done. Nothing to follow.

The kind of interesting thing is that all these guys leave their websites up and running even after they quit. You would think they'd take the websites down, although that would require some humility I guess . . .

Matthew Huffman http://atrecordattempt.webs.com/

Samuel Gardner (link to his website's journal page that says he's going again this New Years Day - but he's never updated anything since July or so, doesn't answer emails, etc..) The website is otherwise exactly as it stood a year ago. http://www.theinitiativesite.com/new-plan/

rocketsocks
12-21-2011, 17:55
Well.....the guy is gonna need a trail name! Any ideas? How about TNG? (tough navy guy) :-) I think it's a hoax. Noone can be that silly and think with 32 pounds on his back and limited calories he'll even come close. We all know it won't work. He's obviously mad at something. Into the Wild, that guy just wanted to be out there, this guy just wants to die out there. Wierd, but I say we all follow and enjoy the chuckle in a few weeks. And lets hope noone has to rescue or recover his body. Good stuff!Iv'e heard of "Hate Drink'in" but not .............."Hate Hiking"?