PDA

View Full Version : A list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!of gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not done!!!!!!!!!!!help please!!!!!!!

conburn
10-24-2011, 12:52
Alright, here is my unfinished gear list. Some things that might be good to know, I'm a cold sleeper hence the zlite pad AND the underquilt and I'll be starting about april 15th. I've listed the weight for everything that I could look up, I'm not overly concerned about weight but I'd like to keep things light where I can. Everything that is NOT marked with a "*" has been purchased, so I'd rather not buy new stuff if I can help it. Any of the stuff marked "*" is where I need some direction. I'm not looking to spend a lot more money on gear, though I have set aside a good chunk for the under quilt and cuben tarp from hammock gear... which is entirely too expensive but so awesome. So let me know what you think, my first list so I'm sure I've missed some stuff. I really appreciate any and all comments! Thanks!
Gear List
Backpack: Osprey Exos 58- 2 pounds 10 oz (may switch out to lighter pack later on….Golite Jam? No? Yes?)
Shelter
Tarp: Hammockgear Cuben Fiber Tarp*-6.5 oz
Hammock: Hennessy Hammock Backpacker- 2 pounds 6 oz
Sleep Stuff
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Z Lite ¾’s- 10 oz
Top Quilt: Jacks R Better No Sniveler- 21 oz
Silk Liner: Sea to Summit- 4.6 oz
Hammockgear Phoenix 20 degree Underquilt*: 15.7 oz
Electronicals
Camera*: suggestions?, nothing too fancy
Headlamp: Black Diamond Spot- 3 oz with batteries
cell phone and charger*
Trail Runners*:
Vibram Five Fingers:12.4oz
Clothing
Rain jacket: Mountain Hardware Epic-14 oz (most likely going to sell this, it’s a bit small and uncomfortable….open to suggestions here…I saw the Marmot Mica for 100 bones and it’s 7 oz)
Rain pants* (Marmot precip? http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~2283d/?filterString=search~marmot-precip-men%2F&colorFamily=01)
Fleece: Patagonia R2- 12.5 oz
Wool Hat*:
Gloves*:
Bandada
Buff
Terramar Merino Wool tops Midweight or heavyweight*-(sleep/camp)
“ “bottoms*-7.5 oz
lightweight tops and bottoms*(for hiking)
Synthetic t-shirt
Nylon Shorts*:
sock liners?*
3 pairs of Socks: 1 heavy for sleep 2 hike socks*
2 pair underwear*(synthetic or silk):

Miscellaneous Items
Gaiters?*: http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/empireofdirt.html
First Aid Kit?*
Hanging Cord*: http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-treeline-40-spectra-725-line.html
Compass*
Maps*
Camelbak 3 liter: probably could do with a 2, but I already have it.
Guide Book*
Trekking poles: Leki Corklight Aergon Speedlock- 16 oz for pair
Titanium Cup: Snopeak-2.4 oz
Titanium Pot: Snopeak-3.5 oz
Titanium Spork: not much
Soda can stove: not sure on weight, can’t be much
Fuel for stove
4 tent Stakes*:
Dr.Bronners little soap
Hand sanitizer
Small Knife* or leatherman micro that I have
Aqua Mira* for water treatment...pretty sure I don't want a filter

Blissful
10-24-2011, 13:17
Rain gear - Dri ducks (frogg toggs) work good though not as durable. I use precip myself
Yes need a first aid kit with duct tape, few bandaids in various sizes, one needle, antibiotic cream, some Advil at a minimum. I like to carry a 2 inch ace, but that's optional as is anti itch cream. Body glide if you chafe.
deet, headnet later on possibly
Gaiters I wouldn't bother but that's me.
I'd go midweight for long underwear - maybe even lightweight as you are starting later, but can switch out if needed. Still need some kind of insulating jacket until mid May. I see you have a fleece top, not sure that's enough
I would never tell someone not to take a compass, but I did not. I had maps though.

EastCoastFeastCoast
10-24-2011, 14:55
Wind screen for your stove setup?

Z-lite pad and a 20degree Phoenix? A phoenix will keep you warm below 20... not much, but adding a z-lite? You can get a Gossamer Gear pad for pretty cheap and cut it to what you need (is the pad for your feet or in addition to the Phoenix? (You could also cut the z-lite pad)

What suspension are you using for your hammock? There are some pretty light weight / reliable options that are easy to setup, such as using Dutch Buckles / webbing with Whoopie slings.

Don't forget the guy lines for your tarp, and extra line incase some break / wear out. (And the ridge line for your tarp)

Are the 5 fingers for hiking in? If they are just for camp shoes there are lighter options (personal preference)

Hope that helps.

Happy Hangin'
Ben

mountain squid
10-24-2011, 17:25
Some observations:

be absolutely certain you will stay warm in hammock
might not need rain pants in mid Apr
if no long pants otherwise, then rain pants probably ok
what are "lightweight tops/bottoms (for hiking)"? long underwear in addition to sleep/camp?!? only need 1 set of long underwear
something additional to hold water
aqua mira
lighter
sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
small Swiss Army Knife with tweezers/scissors (tick pulling/nail cutting)
TP (of course)
tooth brush/paste
maildrop the maps as necessary
pencil
notebook
ear plugs

Concur:
no gaiters
lighter option for camp shoes

And, of course, ID/credit/atm cards.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

conburn
10-26-2011, 14:50
Thanks everybody for your help!
EastCoastFeastCoast- I'm a cold sleeper, so I'm thinking that I'll need the 3/4's zlite in addition to the phoenix. Hopefully I get a chance to test this out before the hike but I doubt it. I was planning on using dutch buckles and whoopie slings, thanks for reminding me. I'm torn with the five fingers, I like to hike in them sometimes and switch out with the trail runners, also use them in camp, but I know that crocs are a bit lighter...I'm sure I'll fold. What do you use for tarp guylines? Also I have used aluminum flashing for a windscreen in the past but it didn't really work out...what do you suggest there?
Mountain Squid- How could I forget the TP? Earplugs is a must too, thanks. When you say "something additional to hold water" what do you mean?
Blissful- Good suggestions for first aid kit and I'll look into froggtogs, thanks

mountain squid
10-26-2011, 19:02
When you say "something additional to hold water" what do you mean?Just that - something additional to hold water. I only see one container for holding water on your list. Sometimes you'll need extra water for camp and then some for the next morning's hike. If a camp water source is 1/2 mi downhill, you'll only want to make that trip once . . .

Personally, I carry a 3L hydration system for drinking on the go. Only 'clean' water goes into it. I also carry a 2L reservoir for 'dirty' water. Once the 'dirty' water has been treated I transfer it to the hydration system. I don't carry 5L at a time, but I have the ability to do so if needed (and there will be times during the Summer that you may want that much).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

EastCoastFeastCoast
10-27-2011, 02:26
Thanks everybody for your help!
EastCoastFeastCoast- I'm a cold sleeper, so I'm thinking that I'll need the 3/4's zlite in addition to the phoenix. Hopefully I get a chance to test this out before the hike but I doubt it. I was planning on using dutch buckles and whoopie slings, thanks for reminding me. I'm torn with the five fingers, I like to hike in them sometimes and switch out with the trail runners, also use them in camp, but I know that crocs are a bit lighter...I'm sure I'll fold. What do you use for tarp guylines? Also I have used aluminum flashing for a windscreen in the past but it didn't really work out...what do you suggest there?
Mountain Squid- How could I forget the TP? Earplugs is a must too, thanks. When you say "something additional to hold water" what do you mean?
Blissful- Good suggestions for first aid kit and I'll look into froggtogs, thanks

If you don't mind the weight penalty then go for the extra pad, It's better to be heavy than cold! Can't go wrong with Dutch Buckles and Whoopies, I just got mine in the mail today! As far as the five fingers go... if you want to use them to hike in, then by all means do it. I imagine you will be using one set of footwear to hike in and another set purely for camp... which means the lighter option might be better. As for tarp guy lines, I use the Dutch CRL setup with a Dutch Hook and Dutch Flyz, and I use Zing-it line for the corner tie outs. Zing-it is so light you can carry extra cordage and never know it's there. That's all available from Dutch's Website. As far as a wind screen, you have like a million options... my windscreen came from Zelph when I got my Fancee Feast stove, fits in my Heine keg nicely and works well... really you can fold up some aluminum foil if you had to.

For "something else to hold water" I always have 2 bottles... me personally I carry a 1L Platypus hydration pack, and a compatible collapsable 2L Platypus bottle. This gives me a lot of water storage if necessary and flexibility. A short hike means I use the 1L bottle, a long hike or long time b/w fill ups I can use the 2L bottle. At camp I can fill up and have 3L to use all night and morning! You can also go the cheap route and get a few 32oz Gatorade bottles, super light and cheap.

Earplugs - I won't hike without them!

hope that helps

Happy Hangin'
Ben

Blue Jay
10-27-2011, 07:38
Alright, here is my unfinished gear list. Some things that might be good to know, I'm a cold sleeper hence the zlite pad AND the underquilt and I'll be starting about april 15th. I've listed the weight for everything that I could look up, I'm not overly concerned about weight but I'd like to keep things light where I can. Everything that is NOT marked with a "*" has been purchased, so I'd rather not buy new stuff if I can help it. Any of the stuff marked "*" is where I need some direction. I'm not looking to spend a lot more money on gear, though I have set aside a good chunk for the under quilt and cuben tarp from hammock gear... which is entirely too expensive but so awesome. So let me know what you think, my first list so I'm sure I've missed some stuff. I really appreciate any and all comments! Thanks!
Gear List
Backpack: Osprey Exos 58- 2 pounds 10 oz (may switch out to lighter pack later on….Golite Jam? No? Yes?)
Shelter
Tarp: Hammockgear Cuben Fiber Tarp*-6.5 oz
Hammock: Hennessy Hammock Backpacker- 2 pounds 6 oz
Sleep Stuff
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Z Lite ¾’s- 10 oz
Top Quilt: Jacks R Better No Sniveler- 21 oz
Silk Liner: Sea to Summit- 4.6 oz
Hammockgear Phoenix 20 degree Underquilt*: 15.7 oz
Electronicals
Camera*: suggestions?, nothing too fancy
Headlamp: Black Diamond Spot- 3 oz with batteries
cell phone and charger*
Trail Runners*:
Vibram Five Fingers:12.4oz
Clothing
Rain jacket: Mountain Hardware Epic-14 oz (most likely going to sell this, it’s a bit small and uncomfortable….open to suggestions here…I saw the Marmot Mica for 100 bones and it’s 7 oz)
Rain pants* (Marmot precip? http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~2283d/?filterString=search~marmot-precip-men%2F&colorFamily=01)
Fleece: Patagonia R2- 12.5 oz
Wool Hat*:
Gloves*:
Bandada
Buff
Terramar Merino Wool tops Midweight or heavyweight*-(sleep/camp)
“ “bottoms*-7.5 oz
lightweight tops and bottoms*(for hiking)
Synthetic t-shirt
Nylon Shorts*:
sock liners?*
3 pairs of Socks: 1 heavy for sleep 2 hike socks*
2 pair underwear*(synthetic or silk):

Miscellaneous Items
Gaiters?*: http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/empireofdirt.html
First Aid Kit?*
Hanging Cord*: http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-treeline-40-spectra-725-line.html
Compass*
Maps*
Camelbak 3 liter: probably could do with a 2, but I already have it.
Guide Book*
Trekking poles: Leki Corklight Aergon Speedlock- 16 oz for pair
Titanium Cup: Snopeak-2.4 oz
Titanium Pot: Snopeak-3.5 oz
Titanium Spork: not much
Soda can stove: not sure on weight, can’t be much
Fuel for stove
4 tent Stakes*:
Dr.Bronners little soap
Hand sanitizer
Small Knife* or leatherman micro that I have
Aqua Mira* for water treatment...pretty sure I don't want a filter

You might be overthinking this.

lunatic
11-02-2011, 15:14
My thoughts:
Understand you're a cold sleeper and I don't know much about hammocking, but not sure why you would also need the silk liner.
Camera - for lowcost but good: would look at Nikon Coolpix L24 ($120 Best Buy) or Canon A1200 ($110 BB). Both are very capable and take AA batteries so you don't worry about charging another battery as you go. Also pick up a few SD cards (PNY or San Disk are my choices) can either go with multiple smaller cards (3 or 4 @ 2GB or 1 larger 16GB or 32GB). On my 2009 thru I used a cheap plastic Canon A95 8 MP camera and came out with Amazing shots...but then again, I'm a photographer. :) Point is, don't let someone tell you to buy fancy camera for this trip.
Not sure why you'd need Five fingers in addition to trail runners. I switched from true trail runners to hiking shoes like Keen and Vasque starting in Daleville and never looked back.
I'd recommend a fleece hat/beenie instead of wool. just my choice. EMS makes a mean Fleece Beenie for $11.
Probably drop the gaiters. Never felt i needed them.
Aqua Mira is wonderful. Would never trade it for a filter on the AT.
I used the Leatherman Micra and never needed anything more.
3 liter bladder might be overkill. For most of my trip I carried two 1/2-liter Powerade bottles (switched them with 1 liters during dryer stretches) and a 4 liter MSR dromlite water carrier for camp. Filled the bottles in the AM and as I hiked for most of the trip and then filled the dromlite at night for dinner, breakfast, water during night, and AM bottle refill.
Depending on how your feet hike and the quality of your socks, you might not need the sock liners.

My 2 cents. Enjoy.

scope
11-02-2011, 15:50
Have you tried the silk liner in the hammock? Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Ender
11-02-2011, 15:55
Too many!!!!!!!!!! Exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So distracted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Have you tried the silk liner in the hammock? Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

I've used my silk liner in my hammock, and liked it. It takes a little extra effort to get in, but isn't terrible once you get the knack of it.

conburn
11-03-2011, 18:38
Yea I haven't gotten the chance to use the silk liner in my hammock....I've used a sleeping bag, which is what made me switch to the top quilt.... so I'm sure the silk liner is no fun to maneuver into, It was to keep my TQ clean and not really for warmth, thanks for bringing that up everyone, probably just a hassle. Thanks for the camera suggestions, I'm not technically savvy and really just want something easy and good. No charger is a big plus! I love five fingers, but I've never done any serious distance in them...I like the idea of switching between them and trail runners but I'll probably fold and go with crocs. Lunatic, I agree that 3 liters is overkill, but I already have it. I rarely fill it up all the way, it's just not worth it to get another one. The dromlite looks good for camp I may go that route.

conburn
11-03-2011, 18:40
O!!! Also, does anyone have any experience with the ULA rainwrap? It's cheap and light, but I'm not sure if I need more wind protection or not...april 15th start....

hikerboy57
11-03-2011, 18:54
ive got the marmot mica, and feel its worth the price. so far the most breathable rain jacket Ive worn, although I take my precip when I need to layer, the mica is a closer fit, which works well under a pack, but the armholes are a little higher than the precip which is great for upper body movement under my pack, but too close to throw a midweight fleece under..I use a 3L bladder, point being you cant put 3L in a 2l , but you can put 2l in a 3l.
I tried using sock liners once, found my feet sweat more, and actually moved around in my shoes more than without. dont think you need them, especially with trail runners.its like wearing liners with sneakers to go running.

lunatic
11-04-2011, 10:54
I used the ULA rainwrap, but i sent it home in late april (i started in late Feb). It was great during the cold rain and wet snow; kept me dry and blocked the wind, but when it started to warm up it didn't bother me to have wet hiking pants.