PDA

View Full Version : Cottage industry

Jeremy
02-28-2005, 18:47
I would like to know everyone's favorite small-time ultralite gear company, feel free to mention more than one. I know and support a few such as brasslite, LWGear, Nunatek, Gossamer Gear, Fanatic Fringe, ULA, etc... Just wondering.:-?

Lucy Lulu
02-28-2005, 20:18
I've gear from both Brasslite and ULA. ULA customer service is fantastic! Oh...and so is there pack!:sun

SGT Rock
02-28-2005, 21:06
Nunatak, Brasslite, Moonbow Gear, Ion Stove (:D), Anti-Gravity Gear, ULA, Six Moon Designs, Jacks 'R Better, Mac Cat, Oware USA, www.thru-hiker.com.

totally Boagus
02-28-2005, 21:26
Dancing light gear is also great to work with

J.D.
02-28-2005, 21:31
AND.....!!! There's a great little .5 oz. stove out there no:

<www.ionstove.com (http://www.ionstove.com/)>

Thanks, Sarge!

SGT Rock
02-28-2005, 21:40
AND.....!!! There's a great little .5 oz. stove out there no:

<www.ionstove.com (http://www.ionstove.com/)>

Thanks, Sarge!

Thanks! I may have to add 0.1 ounces to the design. :datz

yogi clyde
02-28-2005, 22:28
I've had good experiences with both ULA and Tarptent

hikerjohnd
02-28-2005, 22:47
Tarptent (http://www.tarptent.com) has been responsive to my needs - answering questions, etc. I also like Prolite Gear (http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/index.html). Don't know if you consider them a cottage industry, but they spent about 30 mins talking me through the details of a piece of equipment - excellent customer service - very hiker oriented!:jump

hungryhowie
02-28-2005, 23:41
My favorite cottage manufacturer?

That 1970s Kenmore sewing machine sitting on my kitchen table :D

Other favorites include:

Thru-hiker and OWF for their fabric/material supplies (and Thru-hiker's patterns, too)

LuxuryLite for their continuing experimentation and creativity

Tarptent for a great product and matching customer service

Speer hammocks for Ed Speer's involvement with the hammocking community

Then there are those individuals, who don't own a cottage manufacturer, per se, but who continually inspire me with their personal seamstering. Some include:

Risk, Mirage, Gardenville, and Ray Garlington to name a few.

Thanks to all who continue to inspire me to create.

-howie

hungryhowie
02-28-2005, 23:43
Nunatak, Brasslite, Moonbow Gear, Ion Stove (:D), Anti-Gravity Gear, ULA, Six Moon Designs, Jacks 'R Better, Mac Cat, Oware USA, www.thru-hiker.com.

Dangit, Rock. I didn't make the list?!? :bse

-howie

WhiteMtns
03-01-2005, 01:52
I'd like to second Howie's

["Then there are those individuals, who don't own a cottage manufacturer, per se, but who continually inspire me with their personal seamstering. Some include:

Risk, Mirage, Gardenville, and Ray Garlington to name a few."]

Between the cottage producers and the make-your-own-gear forums...trading ideas and instructions seems to have become a cottage industry. I have to thank the kit and plan manufacturers, but even more so, those who have tried something new and shared it non-profit, for some of us to give it a try. Luckilly for them, a few have managed to grow their wares into an industry, examples like G.V.Peski with Gossamer Gear...listed by howie above...But not for them, I would never have thought myself capable of giving it a try. Now I have two sleeping bag/quilts, numerous stuff sacks, an ultralight daypack, and silny pack covers all in the last two months...but it's to their credit.

That includes you howie, posting your methods...even though I still don't work with down. And Risk...whose simple test hammock is now a permanent feature relaxing my back at work...and convinced me to make my own shelter as soon as I'm done with my pack...

J.D.
03-01-2005, 08:09
Thanks! I may have to add 0.1 ounces to the design. :datz
OH, NO.....!!! Glad I got one of the early designs...<g>....

Hey! Have lotsa fun in Iraq (again)...! Guess you are shipping out today.

Thanks for your wisdom HERE and your services THERE!

SGT Rock
03-01-2005, 09:18
Dangit, Rock. I didn't make the list?!? :bse

-howie

I didn't know you were really "in business". Yes I would have to say Howie has been great. Howmany times can you say the CEO had you over to his house to talk backpacking for hours? :banana

I did forget to mention Luxurylite, sorry about that. I also didn'tmention Tom Hennessy since he isn't really a cottage business anymore, but for an established big business he is a king when it comes to customer service and being there where the hiker is.

SGT Rock
03-01-2005, 09:21
OH, NO.....!!! Glad I got one of the early designs...<g>....

Hey! Have lotsa fun in Iraq (again)...! Guess you are shipping out today.

Thanks for your wisdom HERE and your services THERE!

Well I didn't add the 0.1 ounce, so no busting the pack weight :rolleyes:

I didn't get in on the CMAT, so I'll be in the US for a while longer, but the way that unit was put together I may end up getting picked someday. Today I go off to the field at Camp Shelby to try and make it seem like Iraq for a couple of National Guard units to get them ready to go. I feel like I have a purpose in life :sun